Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First Arcanum playthrough... disappointed :shrug:

ever

Scholar
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Wow, that's insane O_o . Would they have any legal grounds to sue them?
Nope, they wouldn't. It's the reason why things like OpenTTD and Exult continue existing legally. You can copyright code ( arguably ) and assets, you can trademark names and logos, but you can't do anything in regards to gameplay.

No lawyer that vaules his time would accept a client that wanted to sue for similar gameplay. It's completely absurd.

So, it's just a bullshit excuse for disappointed fans.

"Oh no evil boss capitalist market money won't let me make good games." says the developer. Nope, *you* won't let *you* make good games, developer!

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Just look at tetris and the latest gem games ffs.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ZbojLamignat said:
baronjohn said:
Look, it doesn't matter that tech route is shit and totally nonsensical in relation to the gameworld and its mechanics because you can make a tech character perfectly capable of completing the game. That's why I claim that in order to make a strong meele character you need 20 points in dex, str, maxed out meele and dodge and shitload of schematics.
Cool story bro. First of all, the gunslinger you mention is typical powergaming and pretty much irrelevant to the discussion. What is more, you can make a perfectly capable melee char with the starting points and background only, adding anything to it just makes it stupidly op.
This.

Waste of time since you can't read or understand. Honesty, are you trolling?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
ever said:
Nope, they wouldn't. It's the reason why things like OpenTTD and Exult continue existing legally. You can copyright code ( arguably ) and assets, you can trademark names and logos, but you can't do anything in regards to gameplay.
Game systems are copyrighted. Try to sell a RPG using D&D or GURPS with a few names changed and watch how quickly WotC/SJG sue you. Why would Interplay allow Troika to get away with using a SPECIAL-derivative when they could license it to them?
No lawyer that vaules his time would accept a client that wanted to sue for similar gameplay. It's completely absurd.
Not familiar with lawyers in the Kwa?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Roguey said:
ever said:
Game systems are copyrighted. Try to sell a RPG using D&D or GURPS with a few names changed and watch how quickly WotC/SJG sue you. Why would Interplay allow Troika to get away with using a SPECIAL-derivative when they could license it to them?
You mean that every skill-based system where you buy skills for skill points and buy attributes for attributes points and you get a special ability every x levels is automatically SPECIAL-derivative?
What about D&D3 rd ed or even 2nd ed, then?

Also, wasn't D20 open-sourced precisely because you can't copyright game mechanics?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Awor Szurkrarz said:
You mean that every skill-based system where you buy skills for skill points and buy attributes for attributes points and you get a special ability every x levels is automatically SPECIAL-derivative?
No, but it could be perceived as such especially since they helped create it.

Also, wasn't D20 open-sourced precisely because you can't copyright game mechanics?
Dunno, but I'd say there's a pretty good reason why Fallout went from
5jw7bb.gif
nqot2.gif

to
e5lnjc.png

within the span of a few months (they lost the license in February 97 and it was released in late September). Surely if it was just a case of rewriting all text without the risk of Steve Jackson breathing down their necks with lawyers they would have taken the path of least resistance?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
That's another story. Using the rules specific to a system could warrant a legal process. But the structure of attributes/skills/whatever cannot be copyrighted.

In the SJG site there's this:
2.18 Can I use GURPS rules to build a computer game, online game, MOO/MUSH/MUCK/MUD/etc. ?

No . . . it's not legal to take the GURPS rules and base a game on them without formal permission. SJ Games is open to licensing inquiries from professional developers - contact licensing@sjgames.com - but, to preserve system integrity and protect the possibility of a professional computer implementation, the company does not grant permission for "homebrew" games or M*s to use the GURPS name and rules.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Awor Szurkrarz said:

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D20_System#Trademark_license:3ktnpp2f]Wikipedia[/url] said:
Other criticism is based around the part of the d20 System Trademark License which defines "Open Game Content" to include game mechanics and purports to license it. It is widely believed that game mechanics are uncopyrightable in the USA, and according to a circular on the US Copyright Office's website,[8] "Once a game has been made public, nothing in the copyright law prevents others from developing another game based on similar principles."

baronjohn

Cipher
Mighty Mouse said:
ZbojLamignat said:
baronjohn said:
Look, it doesn't matter that tech route is shit and totally nonsensical in relation to the gameworld and its mechanics because you can make a tech character perfectly capable of completing the game. That's why I claim that in order to make a strong meele character you need 20 points in dex, str, maxed out meele and dodge and shitload of schematics.
Cool story bro. First of all, the gunslinger you mention is typical powergaming and pretty much irrelevant to the discussion. What is more, you can make a perfectly capable melee char with the starting points and background only, adding anything to it just makes it stupidly op.
This.

Waste of time since you can't read or understand. Honesty, are you trolling?
Give up, faggot. Arcanum just doesn't scale to your level.

Reptilian Shapeshifter said:
It would've been interesting to see the implementation of "smell" in the game.

Probably would've just worked as Perception for smell related issues (Using FO2's Ghost Farm as an example: "You notice the impaled corpses don't really smell like fresh corpses. Upon closer inspection, you realize they're fake"). Same for hearing and vision.

mvBarracuda

Augur
I honestly don't get the hate for Arcanum. Sure: it had a bunch of flaws, but it's unconventional steampunk scenario sealed the deal for me. I take that over generic dwarves and elves any day of the week.

Lee_Stavros

Novice
crazy_dave said:
While Arcanum certainly had its flaws, go play Ass Effect retarded dumbfucks.

Codex 2011 - Arcanum is shit
Codex 2013 - Fallout 1 is shit

Codex 2050 - Mass Effect 10 - GOTY, Mass Effect 1 & 2 - True oldskul classics :roll:
That's nonsense!
Arcanum and Fallout is not in the same league.
Calling it a classic or even a good game is very subjective.

While Fallout sets the standard for real cRPGs, Arcanum is just a bad game.

Renegen

Arcane
The game isn't perfect but you'd have to be an idiot to hate it. After many foiled playthroughs (chapter 2, 3) when it first came out I finally made new characters and had much more fun. Just lower your expectations and play it as an RPG. Focus on your character, what skills and items they have, who they like, who they dislike and let the game take from there. If you're looking for a on-rails "story adventure" you'll be dissapointed.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Renegen said:
The game isn't perfect but you'd have to be an idiot to hate it. After many foiled playthroughs (chapter 2, 3) when it first came out I finally made new characters and had much more fun. Just lower your expectations and play it as an RPG. Focus on your character, what skills and items they have, who they like, who they dislike and let the game take from there. If you're looking for a on-rails "story adventure" you'll be dissapointed.
Jesus fucking Christ.

Seven Eight pages in, Just wanna add that I loved Arcanum. Character creation and development galore, that is the core of a good RPG. The quests and the world was kind of interesting, to much hack and slash, and a crappy interface.

It was not the best game, but still alot of fun, to play through at least twice.

FluffyWolf

Novice
Arcanum was great 10 years ago (apart from the forced release filled with bugs and the obvious signs that parts and quests were removed before being finished, such as the missing school of magick).

Presently it doesn't have the capacity to stand up to the competition. Duh.

It's an old game, but I will always have good memories from playing it back in the day. And I am always hopeful there will be games in the future that successfully combine magic and technology in a rich world.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I agree, there have been so many awesome RPGs released since Arcanum that accomplish what it tries to do so much better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom