Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First ZRPG screenshot

Zeus

Cipher
Trash said:
Looks sterile as fuck.

It appears to be a public library. A library that obviously hasn't been touched by zombie bloodshed yet.

Looks okay to me. Public libraries are generally sterile environments, not counting the homeless queuing up to check their Hotmail accounts. It's not like this is some fire-lit gothic library in a haunted mansion.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Also if we are to take this render as a "screenshot", that would suggest either of two things: most everything is static (look at all those shadows), eg. no moving furnitures around for barricading (though I wouldn't expect that level of interactivity from ex-Obsidians. It's obviously not their thing....
And whose thing is it, if you don't mind me asking? How many RPGs where you can move things around and build barricades have you played? It sure sounds like I've been missing out on some awesome RPGs.

Setting up barricades could be pretty rocking in a ZRPG. It was something new when doing it in Resident Evil IV at least. Kind of like an impromptu tower defense but where the walls eventually give way.

denizsi

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
denizsi said:
Shhh, mentioning ESF and ITS in the same sentence summons VD to call bullshit on you and demand links (lol), but oh damn, now that I've done it myself, it may be too late now.
Yeah, God forbid someone asks you to back up your claims, which clearly interferes with you right to spew bullshit.

What claims do you want backed up? So far in this case, there's only one, ONE (1) single post voicing any kind of criticism/concern over that render over at ITS:

smart guy said:
While that looks nice and all, im more concerned with interactibility.Can the chairs and tables be moved and interacted with ?Can i throw them,overturn them,break them,light them on fire,etc.... ?

Everybody else is floored/easily amused. So bullshit must be the new truth.

And mind this is one single example here and now. I most certainly can't be arsed to deal with going thread-by-thread and play quote hunting to prove any claims nor do I need to since this is a general condition mostly maintained by a few vocal posters, followed by the rest of the sheeple. One only needs to spend some time reading threads over there to agree or disagree with my impression and as far as I'm concerned, neither end will make me or you full of bullshit since this is just that, an impression.

So perhaps the real matter is, why you are being so much butthurt about it. Is it? You tell me.

As for the shot, it merely shows the level of details and what to expect graphically. From that point of view, it's pretty good. It wasn't meant to shock your delicate sensibilities or stimulate your mind with thought-provoking visuals. It's a fucking school library. What did you expect?

Cry some more. Some people called it sterile: is it not? Some called it a render: is it not? Yes and yes. So what is the problem? Butthurt much?

Also if we are to take this render as a "screenshot", that would suggest either of two things: most everything is static (look at all those shadows), eg. no moving furnitures around for barricading (though I wouldn't expect that level of interactivity from ex-Obsidians. It's obviously not their thing....

And whose thing is it, if you don't mind me asking? How many RPGs where you can move things around and build barricades have you played? It sure sounds like I've been missing out on some awesome RPGs.

There are so many things wrong with that question. Here's a start: why is the question limited to RPGs? That kind of thing isn't comlicated/hard to pull any more. The only thing stopping a 3D RPG from having that kind of interactivity/dynamism is the initial focus of design and game designers' willingness to do it. It's not like it's such a super-hard feat to pull and that's why nobody has been doing it so far. For a game with a basic implementation of physics, it's minor work.

That said, even though the game wasn't designed with such things in mind, you could do this to a degree in Deus Ex (there are many more examples but Deus Ex is the only RPG/semi-RPG game that comes to my mind at the moment. Somehow, I think there are more. Help me here). As for non-RPG and especially 2D games, there more games that did it than one can ever count.

Additionally, since this game will be point&click, ie. a practically 2D game except everything is represented in 3D (ie. no complex 3D space calculations for AI navigation, no complex 3D calculations for AI etc. in short there's very little difference between this and any 2D game for basic design), physics aren't that much relevant to it at all. It's a matter of design.

Take Zombie Night, a turn-based computer board game where you try to survive in a mansion in the middle of nowhere against ever increasing number of zombies where you can barricade anywhere, any door, window, corridor with any furniture you see around. It's so simple yet so genius. And all of it 2D with a very simple design.

Second, this is a zombie (ZOMBIE) survival (SURVIVAL) game for fuck's sake. Barricading is one of the core elements of any zombie setting. There's not a single zombie movie/book/comic without barricading as an integral part of the story. Why? Because it makes so much fucking sense. So if somebody is making a zombie game, and it's an indie game from former developers of a big name, meaning they can pursue any design ideas they like that they can reasonably do without watchful eyes of publishers telling them what they should or shouldn't, it's more than just a pretty good idea to make that happen in the game.

Third, because they were "supposedly", if we are to take some ex-Obsidians' words at face value, doing it with Alien RPG already before SEGA dropped the bomb. One thinks: if they could be arsed to deal with such a "non-gamey" element as barricading in what would supposedly be an AAA title (since this is Obsidian, SEGA and Alien IP we're talking about), why shouldn't they be just as arsed to do the same with their indie title?

Finally, Brian has already confirmed my suspicion, an objective suspicion that was based on a technical observation, at ITS that there will be no barricading. Sounds like I was correct, huh? What a crazy world.

So with all these things in consideration, perhaps the real question is, why are you being so much butthurt about it?

edit: You are late, btw. I expected you to make it to the first page.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
denizsi said:
What claims do you want backed up? So far in this case, there's only one, ONE (1) single post voicing any kind of criticism/concern over that render ...
Criticism about what? A render of a school library? If it looks like a library, there isn't much to criticize, is there? Personally, I think that Brian could have shown more and that's the only valid criticism here.

So perhaps the real matter is, why you are being so much butthurt about it. Is it? You tell me.
As for the shot, it merely shows the level of details and what to expect graphically.
Cry some more. Some people called it sterile: is it not? Some called it a render: is it not? Yes and yes. So what is the problem? Butthurt much?
So with all these things in consideration, perhaps the real question is, why are you being so much butthurt about it?
Done menstruating?

There are so many things wrong with that question. Here's a start: why is the question limited to RPGs?
Name the fucking games or kindly shut the fuck up.

Second, this is a zombie (ZOMBIE) survival (SURVIVAL) game for fuck's sake. Barricading is one of the core elements of any zombie setting. There's not a single zombie movie/book/comic without barricading as an integral part of the story. Why? Because it makes so much fucking sense. So if somebody is making a zombie game, and it's an indie game from former developers of a big name, meaning they can pursue any design ideas they like that they can reasonably do without watchful eyes of publishers telling them what they should or shouldn't, it's more than just a pretty good idea to make that happen in the game.
There is a difference between pursuing any design idea you wish and actually implementing them. Doing the barricade things would require a base building mini-game with its own fucking interface and tons of stats. There is a reason why it hasn't been done in an RPG [with graphics].

Finally, Brian has already confirmed my suspicion, an objective suspicion that was based on a technical observation, at ITS that there will be no barricading. Sounds like I was correct, huh? What a crazy world.
Yeah, you're some kinda fucking genius. How do you do it? How do you see those things that nobody else can?

tilting_msh

Formerly Judas
Patron
Codex 2012
denizsi, the only person crying and "butthurt" (you like that word, don't you?) in this thread is you.

It's the first screenshot from an indie CRPG in early development. Relax.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Zombies like their rooms tidy.

For a first screenshot I was expecting something more zombie-apocalipsey.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vince, come on.

There are no barricades in this game, ffs!
No Barricades in a ZOMBIE game! Let me spell that for you: Z-O-M-B-I-E. How can that be without barricades? I don't get it.
You should be glad that we even talk to the likes of you!

denizsi

Arcane
Done menstruating?

Compelling argument. Epic win. I must flee in shame. Oh, talk about inability to handle sarcasm.

There are so many things wrong with that question. Here's a start: why is the question limited to RPGs?

I just did name one RPG which did it unintentionally. You want names of hundreds of games where you can move objects around the level to block passage to enemies?

What the fuck man, grow your brain cells back or kindly suck a cock (I think that will be the only thing to shut you up). Moving objects around the level to block enemies, gee what a complicated feat, no wonder it hasn't been done hundreds of times in 20+ years of video gaming. OH WAIT...

There is a difference between pursuing any design idea you wish and actually implementing them.

Sure, honey, that is a chair, and yes, that is a door you see there. Aren't you such a smart boy. Good boy, good boy!

Doing the barricade things would require a base building mini-game with its own fucking interface and tons of stats.

I beg to differ but talking to you is futile, obviously. Mini games? Its own interface? What the fuck? I pile up boxes in Deus Ex to block passage to enemies. Show me where the mini game with its own interface is.

There is a reason why it hasn't been done in an RPG [with graphics].

Yes, and that reason is either being unimaginative, being a lazy bum or I-don't-give-a-fuck-ness.

Yeah, you're some kinda fucking genius. How do you do it? How do you see those things that nobody else can?

Another compelling argument. If only I hadn't run in shame already.

Also, since we're quoting stuff from elsewhere for whatever reason, let me join:

Brian said:
tkobo said:
While that looks nice and all, im more concerned with interactibility.Can the chairs and tables be moved and interacted with ?Can i throw them,overturn them,break them,light them on fire,etc.... ?

No, and I don't see that becoming a feature at any point. Aside from the horrible bugs that come with applying physics on everything, the focus of the game is on turn-based combat/strategy. You can outmaneuver an enemy or zombie - you could even close/lock a door if you didn't bust it open - but there's no option to move furniture around currently. If we were making a real-time action game, that might have been a priority, but it's out of the scope of the project. There aren't a lot of games that have this feature period, and the ones that let you move around objects usually don't base their gameplay around that feature except for in a few key scripted areas where the area has been constructed around that gimmick.

We do have an upgrade mechanic in the player's shelter, but it's abstracted a bit so that you're scavenging a handful of resources rather than taking everything that isn't nailed down.

WTF man, WTF? Associating barricading with real-time... Just WHAT. THE. FUCK?

I love how you twist my questions and make it look like I'm the one butthurt and making a fuss out of a non-issue when I'm only pointing out obvious stuff. True, I most certainly don't have your expertise in this area. I bow before your mastery of demagoguery.

Judas said:
denizsi, the only person crying and "butthurt" (you like that word, don't you?) in this thread is you.

It's the first screenshot from an indie CRPG in early development. Relax.

Please point where I'm having any problem with the screenshot/render at all but don't bother posting when you still haven't been able to after the first six hours.

edit:

Oh wait, I just noticed the way you've quoted me from ITS, omitting the actual point I tried to make and overdramatizing the rest. Great job. Only a real demagogue would go so low. Meanwhile, take a rest, grow some brain cells back and come back with actual answers, VD honey.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
That said, even though the game wasn't designed with such things in mind, you could do this to a degree in Deus Ex (there are many more examples but Deus Ex is the only RPG/semi-RPG game that comes to my mind at the moment. Somehow, I think there are more. Help me here).

Vault Dweller said:
How many RPGs where you can move things around and build barricades have you played? It sure sounds like I've been missing out on some awesome RPGs.

Ultima VII and Morrowind?

Texas Red

Whiner
Looks surprisingly very good.

This whole debate spanning 3 pages is so... stupid.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I do get the impression that you are serious abou that barricades thing.

Wtf?
How lame would it be, if you would run around in turn-based or real-time combat, shifting chairs and desks to make the enemies walk another route. That would end up being either boring, a built-in-cheat or just unintentionally funny.

In some situations, yea, why not, but having all those objects movable by default... Dear god, no!

denizsi said:
edit:

Oh wait, I just noticed the way you've quoted me from ITS, omitting the actual point I tried to make and overdramatizing the rest. Great job. Only a real demagogue would go so low. Meanwhile, take a rest, grow some brain cells back and come back with actual answers, VD honey.
It's like VD and Naked Ninja rolled into one. Their association has put into motion some bizarre process by which their personal characteristics begin to overlap.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
denizsi said:
Done menstruating?
Compelling argument. Epic win. I must flee in shame. Oh, talk about inability to handle sarcasm.
Sarcasm? You call typing butthurt 3 times in a row sarcasm?

I just did name one RPG which did it unintentionally.
You said it was a board game.

You want names of hundreds of games where you can move objects around the level to block passage to enemies?
Not hundreds. I naively believe that building barricades in an RPG is a pretty innovative feature that hasn't been done before, would require a lot of work and its own interface, and is probably out of scope of a small indie team. It looks like you're shocked and possibly even flabbergasted that this simple must-have feature wasn't done, referring to it "well, it's ex-Obsidian developers, what do you expect?", which implies that pretty much everyone else would have done it. Hence my "name the RPGs" question.

Sure, honey, that is a chair, and yes, that is a door you see there. Aren't you such a smart boy. Good boy, good boy!

I beg to differ but talking to you is futile, obviously. Mini games? Its own interface? What the fuck? I pile up boxes in Deus Ex to block passage to enemies. Show me where the mini game with its own interface is.
:facepalm:

Unless you want the gameworld be filled with stackable boxes, conveniently located everywhere, it would require every object to be rotatable, movable, destructible, fit together properly actually forming a barricade, have its own stats, a hell of physics engine, and a proper interface that goes with it. The issue of dragging objects from other places and building a super fucking fortress that zombies can never get through would have to be addressed as well. Besides, once you go this way, every object in the game would have to be movable to avoid questions like why can't I use this heavy metal safe or why can't I remove this metal door and use it. It's a huge fucking project.

Do I really have to explain these rather obvious things to you?

Yes, and that reason is either being unimaginative, being a lazy bum or I-don't-give-a-fuck-ness.
Because everything is so easy. All you have to do is wish really hard, eh?

No, and I don't see that becoming a feature at any point. Aside from the horrible bugs that come with applying physics on everything, the focus of the game is on turn-based combat/strategy. You can outmaneuver an enemy or zombie - you could even close/lock a door if you didn't bust it open - but there's no option to move furniture around currently. If we were making a real-time action game, that might have been a priority, but it's out of the scope of the project. There aren't a lot of games that have this feature period, and the ones that let you move around objects usually don't base their gameplay around that feature except for in a few key scripted areas where the area has been constructed around that gimmick.
WTF man, WTF? Associating barricading with real-time... Just WHAT. THE. FUCK?
Learn to read. He said that it would have been a priority if they were making a different game, but he sees no reason to do it in a TB game, especially since the design isn't focused on building fucking barricades.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom