Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games for people with depression

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I wouldn't know, but I read some depression is biology-based and properly dealt with (shug some pills) not a big problem (if you have proper medicare)

As for escapism, everything can be. Even sports can be escapism if you use it to not deal with your problems. Games isn't unique in that and the time when only a certain type of person played games has long been past, these days almost everybody games to one degree or another

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Devil Came Through Here trilogy obviously. Start with The Cat Lady.

hqdefault.jpg

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/657/Michalski_Magic/

Beastro

Arcane
I wouldn't know, but I read some depression is biology-based and properly dealt with (shug some pills) not a big problem (if you have proper medicare)

Some depression is, most isn't.

Medication will help, but like a life vest, it'll only keep you from drowning, it won't pull you out of the water.

Games can provide some short term sense of advancement and reward, but it's no alternative to life.

Even sports can be escapism if you use it to not deal with your problems.

Except sports provide physical exercise even if someone is using it for escapism. That itself is a major benefit to someone battling depression. The benefits to games are minor, and for most, the temptations are greater. How many sports nuts exercise into the middle of the night or to dawn? How tempting is that for someone playing a game and the associated effects staying up that late can have on someone (and I speak from personal experience there).

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

As for escapism, everything can be. Even sports can be escapism if you use it to not deal with your problems. Games isn't unique in that and the time when only a certain type of person played games has long been past, these days almost everybody games to one degree or another

"they want you to believe the depression is in your hormones, your body, biology, but it is the capitalism, really"

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

"they want you to believe the depression is in your hormones, your body, biology, but it is the capitalism, really"

Then why isn't everyone depressed?

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

Then why isn't everyone depressed?

O RLY?

Okay, just one example: so-called "incels" are clearly capitalism desperate children. They are teased, they are rejected, they have shit al stuffed in their heads. It is just concentrate of what is dispersed all along the world and the web. Infinite games backlog? Procrastination? Alcoholism? All the faces of the same monster. I thought it is pretty obvious.

btw OP, buy Disco Elysium AND Kentucky Route Zero.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Okay, just one example: so-called "incels" are clearly capitalism desperate children. They are teased, they are rejected, they have shit al stuffed in their heads. It is just concentrate of what is dispersed all along the world and the web. Infinite games backlog? Procrastination? Alcoholism? All the faces of the same monster. I thought it is pretty obvious.

Capitalism has been around a lot longer than incel culture, alcoholism a lot longer than capitalism. I'm not denying that capitalism has been pretty shit for a lot of people, but the simple equation of capitalism equals depression is just a bit hard to take seriously

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

Capitalism has been around a lot longer than incel culture, alcoholism a lot longer than capitalism. I'm not denying that capitalism has been pretty shit for a lot of people, but the simple equation of capitalism equals depression is just a bit hard to take seriously

Well, the format of funny comments on the gaming internet forum is pretty limiting for the serious talk and sadly (or not) I'm not a Lyric Suite to make a proper discourse here. There is a small book that I'm recommending to everyone I meet nowadays. Goes well with drink and Disco.

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
you do not exit depression by hug boxes. You escape it by confronting your errors and accepting them. The game is about every flawed character admitting their mistake and then doing their best to undertake a great quest to undo a greater harm than they caused. In the good ending, they win. if that is not uplifting I don't know what is.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
you do not exit depression by hug boxes. You escape it by confronting your errors and accepting them. The game is about every flawed character admitting their mistake and then doing their best to undertake a great quest to undo a greater harm than they caused. In the good ending, they win. if that is not uplifting I don't know what is.

I didn't know it have a good ending. The Harlan Elisson's story however is one of the most nightmarish things I ever read

Norfleet

Playing games is probably the worst activity if you are depressed. You delay the pain. Don't.

Meet with a professional, get out and get some light, work out, eat healthy and stay hydrated. Talk to people about your feelings.
Ugh. TALKING about FEELINGS now? That's not even a useful conversational topic. Go find something useful to do. This is exactly the kind of namby-pamby mumbo-jumbo that's making people "depressed" in the first place. If you had some actual useful work to be doing, you wouldn't be wasting your time on having feelings. No one needs that shit, get back to work.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
@ OP: Yakuza 0's story and gameplay is really absorbing if you want something linear and moving to distract you. Otherwise I'd recommend something like roguelites -- Dead Cells or Hades maybe -- something cathartic that you can feel yourself improve at. Those are the two ideals I'd aim for: stories to give life meaning, or skill heavy games that can give you a tiny bit of self worth.

I've been gaming like 28 years of my life, bromo. I've dealt with depression before, and let me tell you, games didn't fucking make it better, just worse. Escapism is never the answer, when you got debilitating issues in your life.

I think it really depends on the context; no one's saying (I hope) that you can game away depression, but I remember being in a place where even levelling a toon in WoW was just really helpful for the microdoses of dopamine -- a reward for doing something, anything -- other than sitting still and being passive.

RIP Mark. :(

Rodcocker

Arbiter
Little Big Adventure 2. It does have some dark elements, but it really is the most wholesome and uplifting game I've ever played. Just take it easy and explore the world and characters. It's on Steam and GOG and very cheap.

HansDampf

Arcane
Lots of suggestions here are games about depression. But is that really a good idea when you are suffering from depression yourself? Wouldn't it be more useful to play some puzzle games to keep your mind busy? No skinner box games.
And all of this is assuming you are already taking other steps to deal with your depression. Sitting at home 24/7 playing depression quest won't do you any good.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Playing games is probably the worst activity if you are depressed. You delay the pain. Don't.

Meet with a professional, get out and get some light, work out, eat healthy and stay hydrated. Talk to people about your feelings.
Ugh. TALKING about FEELINGS now? That's not even a useful conversational topic. Go find something useful to do. This is exactly the kind of namby-pamby mumbo-jumbo that's making people "depressed" in the first place. If you had some actual useful work to be doing, you wouldn't be wasting your time on having feelings. No one needs that shit, get back to work.

Your logic is full of shit.
And yes, talking about feelings is what gestalt therapy do, for example.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom