Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games that deliberately troll you.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
(Or how I rant about horrible games while waiting for my data retrieval program to save my hard drive.)

The art of trolling is a time-honoured tradition on the Kodex, and save for a thread on The Witcher some months back, I personally have never trolled anyone, at least not intentionally.

Recently I got to thinking about games that, as you continue playing them, they only frustrate you as you keep on playing. Games that seem to have been intentionally designed in a manner to leave you either disappointed, frustrated or even both. Even though I have been gaming for almost 25 years, I can only think of a handful of games that actually do this as a full-time venture. Oh sure, I can think of countless games that have "moments" of trolling, but the art of being a full-blown trolling game is obscure and hard to master. In fact, I can only think of three games at the moment, which all share the sad fact that they were made in recent years. And mind you, trolling is partly based upon personal preferences, so your mileage may differ.

The third worst trolling game I've come across is Serious Sam 2.

The Serious Sam games (First and Second Encounter) were not exactly top-of-the-line FPS games, but they were a throwback to the early days of Wolfenstein 3D and Doom: Pure mindless fun. They weren't afraid of trying new things, or just ignoring some de facto FPS standards and doing things differently. The result is a pair of classic FPS games that have endured so well that recently they got revived in High-Def editions. So a sequel was inevitable.

What we got was a slap in the face.

Croteam took just about everything that was cool about the first game and threw it out the window. Well-known historical settings gave way to generic gaming settings, be they primitive tribal villages, medieval castles, sewers, a volcanic wasteland, a swamp and some futuristic cities and buildings. Of these, only the level where everything was giganticly huge reminded people of the prequels. Well-established weapons were replaced with weapons that were either too exotic to be likeable or did not perform as they should. The best weapon of the game is a six-barrelled rotating shotgun that is unnaturally accurate (and deadly) at long ranges. The minigun seems to lazily spit out its bullets and takes forever to run out of ammo. At least the Cannon works as before, but that's about it. All the other weapons make you go "WTF?" to some degree or other.

Serious Sam had some unforgettable enemies... which were either completely removed or replaced by poor comic caricatures. The Sirian Werebull was replaced by a wind-up mechanical rhino. The kamikaze bomber is still there, but is nowhere near as scary-dangerous as he used to be. The Mechanoids have T-Rex heads on them with cigars in their mouths. For no reason whatsoever. And of course, the worst enemy from the original, the Kleer skeleton, not only returns almost unchanged, but gets 4 whole levels devoted to it! The prequels also had gigantic bosses to fight. The only part of those boss-fights that carried over into SSam 2 is the "gigantic" part. A giant gorilla, a giant bee, a giant sumo wrestler, a giant skeleton, a giant dragon, a giant robot and a giant pyramid on wheels. Those are your bosses, and except for the gorilla and the dragon they're also mind-numbingly dull opponents.

The ultimate "troll" moment of the game, though, is the end, where instead of us seeing Mental finally defeated, he flees in a spaceship and a "TO BE CONTINUED" message appears after the end credits. It's like getting kicked in the teeth after having been kicked in the nuts. It's a shit game, a de-evolution of everything from the first game(s).

The second worst trolling game I've ever played is Prey.

Prey has one of the best demos available for a game. It has a story, a plot, some really cool sequences and effects, and is just bursting at the seems with promises of "I'M SO FUCKING AWESOME! BUY ME NOW!" Which is exactly what almost everybody did. And what almost everybody got was a game that, right after the moment where the demo ends, degenerates into a bad Doom 3 clone. Corridor after mindless corridor, monsters popping out again and again. Occasionally something different came along, like a boss fight or a vehicle sequence, but can anyone here really recall anything about the game after the scene with the spirit-thingies possessing the kids?

Prey abused to the very limit a concept I call the "Loaded demo", where the game's cool content is delibaretely loaded into the part of the game that's available in the demo, while the rest of the game is mindless, banal, boring filler material. I haven't seen that many Loaded Demos, but then again I've steered clear of most games released after 2003, especially the mainstream ones. Hopefully other Kodexers can name (and shame) more examples.

But the worst trolling game I've ever played is a small indie title called Tecno: The Base.

Most of you have probably not heard of this game. It's a FPS/Adventure hybrid where you control 2 human survivors of a robot uprising on a base on a distant planet. A good comparison to how it plays are the early tech-demos of Penumbra. It has a vehicle section, boss fights, some very complex puzzles and some of that survival-horror vibe going on.

So which part of the game does the trolling? How about...everything?

The interface is clunky, but that is due to how the game is programmed (it's all programmed in some obscure and restrictive coding environment) and is probably the only part of the game that can be excused. The rest I can only attribute as being deliberate trolling. I'll be frank, I've forgotten some of the things about this game that irked me, but that's because I've been trying to forget them. Let's start with the demo.

The demo (and first part of the full game) has you playing as Alexia, whose plan for escaping the base seems to involve a prototype teleporter. Fair enough, except that the demo, while not being a Loaded Demo, instead pulls a Bait and Switch on us. The demo ends the moment Alexia steps into the teleporter, and the full game hops over to Mika, another survivor who must find a different way to escape the base. Alexia is a non-issue in the game from here on, she isn't even mentioned until the end sequence. Mika also has a completely different equipment set, so no more shotgun and night goggles for you. Mika as a character is also completely devoid of personality, at least Alexia had some personality.

Combat is 90% of the time just killing random spawns of enemy robots. But here's the catch: Your only option is to kill them. You can't run away from them. Due to the game's technical limitations, robots can't follow you everywhere. Getting onto a lift and to another floor is a sure-fire way to escape them, for example. So what does the game do? It "magically" moves the spawned robots to the section you're entering. Without ever explaining how they got there. You could be coming from a dead end set of empty offices, heading down in an elevator and encountering a spawn of enemies, immediately going back up in the lift, only to find the robots waiting for you in the aforementioned empty offices. So much for immersion. The game does this every time, all the time.

What's worse, there are a few sections where you need to perform some action or solve a puzzle to advance the game, and you're having a hard enough time just working the puzzle without being bothered by distractions. Guess what the game does almost without fail? Throws a spawn of enemies at you right there. A brilliant example of this is the camerabot puzzle: You must guide a camerabot through a ventilation system via remote control to be able to read an access code for a locked door. Said code is, of course, written on the wall right by the door... on the other side. And those camerabots are made out of paper, touch a wall somewhere and they're destroyed, redo puzzle from start.

An even better example of trolling is the vehicle section. Eventually you find a tank, and after solving a lot of pointless puzzles getting the tank to run, you finally reach the exterior section of the base. Your first stop is a supply depot where you must manually re-arm your tank with 2 missiles. OK. A little further on is a heavily guarded structure, and you must take out the turrets with your missiles. How many missiles do you think you'll need? If you think 2, then you're wrong. You need 3. (At least an odd number greater than 2, I can't really remember.) That means firing the first two missiles, then going back to the depot, manually re-arming the tank again with 2 more missiles, then going back to the structure and blowing away the last turret. All this while being CONSTANTLY barraged by enemy spawns, because the exterior section has the spawn rate set at ludicrious levels.

Another "brilliant" puzzle is the test laser. There's a room where a giant laser, operated by a motion-sensor targetting system, is constantly shooting clay pigeons that are released into the room. You must enter the room with the laser, reach the laser's manual controls (located conveniently behind the laser) and make it fire at a set of gas canisters in the corner of the room to blow a hole that you must then go through. First off, you must reach the laser control room to activate the clay pigeons, or otherwise the laser will target you first and kill you in one or two shots. Second, you must run from the laser control room to the laser room itself before the laser is done shooting all the clay pigeons. Third, you must creep-crawl through the laser room itself to avoid becoming a "primary" target for the laser. Fourth, even though the laser can and WILL hit the gas canisters in the corner while hunting for the clay pigeons, it won't set them off until you reach the manual controls and tell it to fire there. Finally, the laser is actually quite capable of finding you while standing still and frying your ass, and will do so at random intervals, even twisting and turning itself into possible positions to accomplish this, like firing behind itself. It took me DAYS to solve this puzzle, and it's actually quite early on in the game.

Then there are the oh-so ever-predictable turns of events. You're in Quadrant X of the base and need to reach Quadrant Y. To do that you need to extend a walkbridge across between the two sections. That involves restoring power to the walkbridge (a puzzle) then finding the controls to extend the walkbridge (another puzzle, of course), then finding that the door to the walkbridge is locked and you have to find the key, which is over in Quadrant Z somewhere, which is where you STARTED the game, so you have to trek all the way back there and access a previously inaccessible room, get the key, go back to Quadrant X, open the door, cross the walkbridge and cross over to Quadrant Y, Yay! Until, a bit later on, you realize you have to get back to Quadrant Z again. Well, at least the walkbridge is there to quickly get you back... oops, looks like the game thinks that's too easy for you, so you get a nice little cutscene showing some robots shooting the walkbridge down for no other reason than to annoy you. Now repeat that for EVERY. SINGLE. PART. OF. THE. GAME. If you think that a previous action would make subsequent required actions easier for you, you're wrong. The game will see to that.

The boss fights are all about just surviving against invulnerable überbots, until that exact one moment comes up where there's a weak spot exposed, and then hitting that spot once before repeating the sequence until the überbot finally dies. It gets boring really quick, which is why it's repeated about 4 or 5 times throughout the game. The last fight actually has you killing the end boss twice, and was so tough that I gave up at that point and turned the god mode on. I cannot see anyone beating the last boss without cheating, really. He's too tough.

The end sequence, though, is what made me rage the most. You beat the final boss (twice) only to get a short message that tells you... that you failed. Neither Mika nor Alexia succeed in escaping the base. All your efforts are for naught. I contacted the author of the game and he confirmed that yes, this is how the game should end. There is only one ending. Had we been in the same room I would have decked him then and there. There are Rules about how NOT to make a game. This game breaks pretty much all of them.

The only "upside" I have from playing and completing this game? According to the author, I was, at the time, one of a handful of people to ever have completed the game. I doubt that number has risen much since then. But even that makes me feel like I've been told that I failed the IQ test.

So... anyone else know of any other games that only seem to exist to troll gamers?

EDIT: Typos.

Pokemon Red / Blue was pretty trollish.

- There is a glitched pokemon, Missingno., that will multiply the sixth item on your inventory by 255. However, there is another pokemon visually identical to him, M', that will not only dupe your item, but also corrupt your save data. You can only find them late in the game, as a bonus.

- Running out of time being five steps away from the warden's house in the Safari Zone because I explored the place instead of running for the objective right away

- Every Rival fight in the game. A unexpected boss fight after the actual boss of a long dungeon, when everyone in your team is fucked up? I'll take two, please

and

[img:1yxizgqr]http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/41591_103774846324796_8150_n.jpg[/img] said:
>Watch Pokemon anime before getting GB games
>Get Blue and a GBC for a present
>About to face Sabrina
>Might as well get a Haunter to take on Sabrina
>my face when Haunter is OHKO'd and the anime lied to me that ghost type attacks are effective against Psychic.
>This is the same anime that said Pikachu is weak to water attacks.

MajorNova

Novice
fake_ending.jpg

arthur.jpg

lightbane

Arcane
Nier is a weird example, the developers hate OCD completionists because has many sidequests that are completely optional but some of them are incredibly boring and annoying and yet upon completion the game tells you your efforts are for naugh. Oh, and there are some completely missable quests that after a certain cutscene you're locked out of doing them, forever. Still, the game is awesome and it's worth a try (however, the game has multiple endings but one of them literally deletes all of your saved data, for real).

For more deliberate trolling check Drakengard, where everything and everyone is trolled, especially the player with the "ultimate" ending.

Unkillable Cat said:
(Or how I rant about horrible games while waiting for my data retrieval program to save my hard drive.)

The art of trolling is a time-honoured tradition on the Kodex, and save for a thread on The Witcher some months back, I personally have never trolled anyone, at least not intentionally.

Recently I got to thinking about games that, as you continue playing them, they only frustrate you as you keep on playing. Games that seem to have been intentionally designed in a manner to leave you either disappointed, frustrated or even both. Even though I have been gaming for almost 25 years, I can only think of a handful of games that actually do this as a full-time venture. Oh sure, I can think of countless games that have "moments" of trolling, but the art of being a full-blown trolling game is obscure and hard to master. In fact, I can only think of three games at the moment, which all share the sad fact that they were made in recent years. And mind you, trolling is partly based upon personal preferences, so your mileage may differ.

The third worst trolling game I've come across is Serious Sam 2.

The Serious Sam games (First and Second Encounter) were not exactly top-of-the-line FPS games, but they were a throwback to the early days of Wolfenstein 3D and Doom: Pure mindless fun. They weren't afraid of trying new things, or just ignoring some de facto FPS standards and doing things differently. The result is a pair of classic FPS games that have endured so well that recently they got revived in High-Def editions. So a sequel was inevitable.

What we got was a slap in the face.

Croteam took just about everything that was cool about the first game and threw it out the window. Well-known historical settings gave way to generic gaming settings, be they primitive tribal villages, medieval castles, sewers, a volcanic wasteland, a swamp and some futuristic cities and buildings. Of these, only the level where everything was giganticly huge reminded people of the prequels. Well-established weapons were replaced with weapons that were either too exotic to be likeable or did not perform as they should. The best weapon of the game is a six-barrelled rotating shotgun that is unnaturally accurate (and deadly) at long ranges. The minigun seems to lazily spit out its bullets and takes forever to run out of ammo. At least the Cannon works as before, but that's about it. All the other weapons make you go "WTF?" to some degree or other.

Serious Sam had some unforgettable enemies... which were either completely removed or replaced by poor comic caricatures. The Sirian Werebull was replaced by a wind-up mechanical rhino. The kamikaze bomber is still there, but is nowhere near as scary-dangerous as he used to be. The Mechanoids have T-Rex heads on them with cigars in their mouths. For no reason whatsoever. And of course, the worst enemy from the original, the Kleer skeleton, not only returns almost unchanged, but gets 4 whole levels devoted to it! The prequels also had gigantic bosses to fight. The only part of those boss-fights that carried over into SSam 2 is the "gigantic" part. A giant gorilla, a giant bee, a giant sumo wrestler, a giant skeleton, a giant dragon, a giant robot and a giant pyramid on wheels. Those are your bosses, and except for the gorilla and the dragon they're also mind-numbingly dull opponents.

The ultimate "troll" moment of the game, though, is the end, where instead of us seeing Mental finally defeated, he flees in a spaceship and a "TO BE CONTINUED" message appears after the end credits. It's like getting kicked in the teeth after having been kicked in the nuts. It's a shit game, a de-evolution of everything from the first game(s).

The second worst trolling game I've ever played is Prey.

Prey has one of the best demos available for a game. It has a story, a plot, some really cool sequences and effects, and is just bursting at the seems with promises of "I'M SO FUCKING AWESOME! BUY ME NOW!" Which is exactly what almost everybody did. And what almost everybody got was a game that, right after the moment where the demo ends, degenerates into a bad Doom 3 clone. Corridor after mindless corridor, monsters popping out again and again. Occasionally something different came along, like a boss fight or a vehicle sequence, but can anyone here really recall anything about the game after the scene with the spirit-thingies possessing the kids?

Prey abused to the very limit a concept I call the "Loaded demo", where the game's cool content is delibaretely loaded into the part of the game that's available in the demo, while the rest of the game is mindless, banal, boring filler material. I haven't seen that many Loaded Demos, but then again I've steered clear of most games released after 2003, especially the mainstream ones. Hopefully other Kodexers can name (and shame) more examples.

But the worst trolling game I've ever played is a small indie title called Tecno: The Base.

Most of you have propably not heard of this game. It's a FPS/Adventure hybrid where you control 2 human survivors of a robot uprising on a base on a distant planet. A good comparison to how it plays are the early tech-demos of Penumbra. It has a vehicle section, boss fights, some very complex puzzles and some of that survival-horror vibe going on.

So which part of the game does the trolling? How about...everything?

The interface is clunky, but that is due to how the game is programmed (it's all programmed in some obscure and restrictive coding environment) and is propably the only part of the game that can be excused. The rest I can only attribute as being deliberate trolling. I'll be frank, I've forgotten some of the things about this game that irked me, but that's because I've been trying to forget them. Let's start with the demo.

The demo (and first part of the full game) has you playing as Alexia, whose plan for escaping the base seems to involve a prototype teleporter. Fair enough, except that the demo, while not being a Loaded Demo, instead pulls a Bait and Switch on us. The demo ends the moment Alexia steps into the teleporter, and the full game hops over to Mika, another survivor who must find a different way to escape the base. Alexia is a non-issue in the game from here on, she isn't even mentioned until the end sequence. Mika also has a completely different equipment set, so no more shotgun and night goggles for you. Mika as a character is also completely devoid of personality, at least Alexia had some personality.

Combat is 90% of the time just killing random spawns of enemy robots. But here's the catch: Your only option is to kill them. You can't run away from them. Due to the game's technical limitations, robots can't follow you everywhere. Getting onto a lift and to another floor is a sure-fire way to escape them, for example. So what does the game do? It "magically" moves the spawned robots to the section you're entering. Without ever explaining how they got there. You could be coming from a dead end set of empty offices, heading down in an elevator and encountering a spawn of enemies, immediately going back up in the lift, only to find the robots waiting for you in the aforementioned empty offices. So much for immersion. The game does this every time, all the time.

What's worse, there are a few sections where you need to perform some action or solve a puzzle to advance the game, and you're having a hard enough time just working the puzzle without being bothered by distractions. Guess what the game does almost without fail? Throws a spawn of enemies at you right there. A brilliant example of this is the camerabot puzzle: You must guide a camerabot through a ventilation system via remote control to be able to read an access code for a locked door. Said code is, of course, written on the wall right by the door... on the other side. And those camerabots are made out of paper, touch a wall somewhere and they're destroyed, redo puzzle from start.

An even better example of trolling is the vehicle section. Eventually you find a tank, and after solving a lot of pointless puzzles getting the tank to run, you finally reach the exterior section of the base. Your first stop is a supply depot where you must manually re-arm your tank with 2 missiles. OK. A little further on is a heavily guarded structure, and you must take out the turrets with your missiles. How many missiles do you think you'll need? If you think 2, then you're wrong. You need 3. (At least an odd number greater than 2, I can't really remember.) That means firing the first two missiles, then going back to the depot, manually re-arming the tank again with 2 more missiles, then going back to the structure and blowing away the last turret. All this while being CONSTANTLY barraged by enemy spawns, because the exterior section has the spawn rate set at ludicrious levels.

Another "brilliant" puzzle is the test laser. There's a room where a giant laser, operated by a motion-sensor targetting system, is constantly shooting clay pigeons that are released into the room. You must enter the room with the laser, reach the laser's manual controls (located conveniently behind the laser) and make it fire at a set of gas canisters in the corner of the room to blow a hole that you must then go through. First off, you must reach the laser control room to activate the clay pigeons, or otherwise the laser will target you first and kill you in one or two shots. Second, you must run from the laser control room to the laser room itself before the laser is done shooting all the clay pigeons. Third, you must creep-crawl through the laser room itself to avoid becoming a "primary" target for the laser. Fourth, even though the laser can and WILL hit the gas canisters in the corner while hunting for the clay pigeons, it won't set them off until you reach the manual controls and tell it to fire there. Finally, the laser is actually quite capable of finding you while standing still and frying your ass, and will do so at random intervals, even twisting and turning itself into possible positions to accomplish this, like firing behind itself. It took me DAYS to solve this puzzle, and it's actually quite early on in the game.

Then there are the oh-so ever-predictable turns of events. You're in Quadrant X of the base and need to reach Quadrant Y. To do that you need to extend a walkbridge across between the two sections. That involves restoring power to the walkbridge (a puzzle) then finding the controls to extend the walkbridge (another puzzle, of course), then finding that the door to the walkbridge is locked and you have to find the key, which is over in Quadrant Z somewhere, which is where you STARTED the game, so you have to trek all the way back there and access a previously inaccessible room, get the key, go back to Quadrant X, open the door, cross the walkbridge and cross over to Quadrant Y, Yay! Until, a bit later on, you realize you have to get back to Quadrant Z again. Well, at least the walkbridge is there to quickly get you back... oops, looks like the game thinks that's too easy for you, so you get a nice little cutscene showing some robots shooting the walkbridge down for no other reason than to annoy you. Now repeat that for EVERY. SINGLE. PART. OF. THE. GAME. If you think that a previous action would make subsequent required actions easier for you, you're wrong. The game will see to that.

The boss fights are all about just surviving against invulnerable überbots, until that exact one moment comes up where there's a weak spot exposed, and then hitting that spot once before repeating the sequence until the überbot finally dies. It gets boring really quick, which is why it's repeated about 4 or 5 times throughout the game. The last fight actually has you killing the end boss twice, and was so tough that I gave up at that point and turned the god mode on. I cannot see anyone beating the last boss without cheating, really. He's too tough.

The end sequence, though, is what made me rage the most. You beat the final boss (twice) only to get a short message that tells you... that you failed. Neither Mika nor Alexia succeed in escaping the base. All your efforts are for naught. I contacted the author of the game and he confirmed that yes, this is how the game should end. There is only one ending. Had we been in the same room I would have decked him then and there. There are Rules about how NOT to make a game. This game breaks pretty much all of them.

The only "upside" I have from playing and completing this game? According to the author, I was, at the time, one of a handful of people to ever have completed the game. I doubt that number has risen much since then. But even that makes me feel like I've been told that I failed the IQ test.

So... anyone else know of any other games that only seem to exist to troll gamers?

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oblivion. I shouldn't even need to say more than that.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
In DA2 there is this guy in a tavern who says some meta-commentary to the effect of "have you ever had the feeling that things are less and less complex, from eating to fighting"

I thought that was pretty trololololo. Yes this thread is now about DA2

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Jade Cocoon.

I get to the end bonus area with the endless corridor. Expecting some purpose to go through it, it just cycles and cycles infinitely.

WHATS THE FUCKING POINT!?

mondblut

Arcane
Pretty much all of them. An excersise in gaming is 1% of fun and 99% of FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU-. The better ones might have 2-3% of fun in them. I guess we have coin-driven arcade machines to thank, they were all about frustration by design and business model, and the rest of the gaming just blindly followed.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
mondblut said:
Pretty much all of them. An excersise in gaming is 1% of fun and 99% of FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU-. The better ones might have 2-3% of fun in them. I guess we have coin-driven arcade machines to thank, they were all about frustration by design and business model, and the rest of the gaming just blindly followed.

Why do you even play games mondblut?

DraQ

Arcane
Xor said:
mondblut said:

Why do you even play games mondblut?
For FFFFFUUUUUUUn, obviously. :obviously:

:smug:

Phelot

Arcane
MajorNova said:

Yes, Ghouls N Ghosts was horribly frustrating.

Also, those arcade shooters like Raiden (but not the console versions which are easy) that Black Cat likes to play are retardedly difficult and obviously designed to steal your quarters. Nothing like facing a boss that spams entire walls of bullets with no way to escape except if you have advanced autism.

phelot said:
Also, those arcade shooters like Raiden (but not the console versions which are easy) that Black Cat likes to play are retardedly difficult and obviously designed to steal your quarters. Nothing like facing a boss that spams entire walls of bullets with no way to escape except if you have advanced autism.

They're, uh, actually worse than that, since most of them lock shit off if you continue. Giga Wing won't let you fight the last boss, Daioujou has a second hard mode with the real last boss you can only get to if you avoid continuing and do very well in some other ways too (and then the last boss is fucking stupid), Raiden Fighters Jet just kicks you into sim 35 or 50 and ends the game there instead of letting you get to the real battle phases, they're full of shit like that.

Ketsui makes you complete the whole game without bombing or dying once just, and then complete the game again in a ridiculous hard mode http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZgqpqxeFs8 if you want to see the last boss. And if you continue on that last boss it restarts the level too.

Making getting to the last boss so hard that 99.99% of the world could never manage it = pretty good trolling I think.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Spark Mandriller said:
phelot said:

They're, uh, actually worse than that, since most of them lock shit off if you continue. Giga Wing won't let you fight the last boss, Daioujou has a second hard mode with the real last boss you can only get to if you avoid continuing and do very well in some other ways too (and then the last boss is fucking stupid), Raiden Fighters Jet just kicks you into sim 35 or 50 and ends the game there instead of letting you get to the real battle phases, they're full of shit like that.

Ketsui makes you complete the whole game without bombing or dying once just, and then complete the game again in a ridiculous hard mode http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZgqpqxeFs8 if you want to see the last boss. And if you continue on that last boss it restarts the level too.

Making getting to the last boss so hard that 99.99% of the world could never manage it = pretty good trolling I think.

The selected few who manage to complete games like that end up as Ender Wiggins candidates, so...

This is what Black Cat's laugh sounds like

edit: Oh yeah;

- Needing a flute to wake up the Snorlax blocking my path, so I can fight it and knock...it...unconscious...on the spot he was sleeping anyway...or put him to sleep with an attack and THEN capturing / defeating him...if he's in deep sleep to start with, couldn't I have just thrown a pokeball and call it a day?

- Needing a scouter to see the ghost at the entrance of Lavender Tower - oh cool, now I can see the faceless ghost is...a ghost with a face.

Ghost.png
->
Spr_1b_092.png

Why did I fight an entire criminal syndicate for this shit, again?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
All those fucking laserdisc games. I remember in the early 80's not Dragon's Lair but something similar with a Jap Cowboy theme. Damn that fucker ate my money and I didn't even figure out how to get past the first thing!

Oh and Jet Set Willy! How the fuck is it possible to get most of the shiny shit in each screen when it's suspended in mid air with nothing around it? How the fuck were you supposed to finish that game? I remember the thrill of discovering through sheer fanatical determination, some new obscure rooms but soon after you'd lose your lives trying to make an impossible leap to another platform and all the way back to the start for you, or even worse, you'd still have many lives left but would respawn just in front of some enemy sprite over and over and so you'd lose all your carefully saved lives in 5 seconds! :rage:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom