Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games that deliberately troll you.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Trash: You want to get into that mentality, you don't need to go any further than Pac-Man. The game locks up and dies on you after level 255, IIRC.

But yes, there are tons of games from the 80s/early 90s that could be considered trolls due to technical limitations, coding incompetence, human behavior and the phase of the moon. Most of them I do not count as trolling attempts because they weren't deilberate. But the infinite game/redo-from-start thought is still a strong contender.

In the case of Death Wish 3, I accomplished the same feat once of clearing out all the gang bosses, so I know what you mean and how you're hurting because of it after all these years. :smug:

What really fascinates me is that the control scheme of Death Wish 3 (you DO remember that abomination, don't you?) is being used for a upcoming ShitBox360 arcade platformer called Fez.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just realized that i didn't explain why lethal weapon trolled.
Well, it's jumps like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yAGv-SkQMo&t=4m10s

Sure, there was worse shit even on Symphony of the night, supermetroid hacks, not to mention cave story challenge level/timer.

But the game had another weapon: invisible platforms.
Moving platforms too of course.

Never fucking finished it.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
garren said:
Chaotic Lulz3r already mentioned zork games but I can't help but post this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiZRihPTH2M

Some of those deaths are just pure, evil, unabashed trolling, and that FUCKING LAUGH...

Though return to zork also contains one of the greatest moments in gaming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHKKq7kMF8w

Jesus, i had successfully repressed this game.

Until now :x

Oh, yeah, the labyrinth cave in the first kyrandia game. When you have to map a adventure game, you know there is trolling involved (PS:T :smug:)

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Braid also trolled in some areas. In some worlds there are some creatures who don't conform to the world's rules and of course you have no indication that they don't until you e.g. reverse time and see that one of them is different.

Radisshu

Prophet
Nael said:
Quest For Glory...

heroquest.jpg

YEAH. Especially when you try to pick your nose with low lockpicking skills.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Does the ending of the original Myst count as trolling? You spend the whole game on Myst and its various Ages solving puzzles, and at the end when you free Atrus he says that he hasn't much to give you but as a reward you may wander around the places you already explored. That's it. Thanks, bro, but I already explored the whole place for hours!

Probably not intended, but the PC version of MGS2 successfully trolled me back in the day. I spent hours configuring the keyboard to something passable, thanks to the obvious lack of optimisation for the PC, and near the end of the game I get the sword. Said sword is controlled by making sweeping moves with the right thumbstick, translated to 4 keys on the keyboard. Given that my setup already used a lot of keys and got both of my hands busy, I wondered for a good 20 seconds about how the goatfuck I was gonna solve this. In the end I got it somehow working by doing mouse movement with my third hand.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Black Cat said:
I'm usually am a kind of uptight bitch in my normal everyday life but my BF was of the idea me being an emo and angry bitch going on about manners and proper behaviour was kind of unbearable even for him, so I was trying my best to be casual and friendly and cute and sweety pie. In my quest to be like that I took a long set of verbal ticks, things like switching words for that so-and-so thing or stuff, adapting the , like, and totally components to my patterns of speak, or at least their spanish equivalents, stealing some shit from kawai and moe moe anime characters (the nya, the chan and kun overload, switching most people's names to cute and kind of ridiculous aliases), steal some shit from other girls I know and who are really, you know, pink loving, etc. It wasn't so terrible, really, but then some jerks here decided to give me a hard time about it, and then I noticed that given it was completely impossible for people here to link me with the real me I was able to do whatever I wanted with no risk of it ever going back to bit me in the ass, so I decided to see how much I could overdo it before I no longer was able to stand myself, and a bit also because it was pretty funny to troll people just by being overly sweet and kawai. Later my BF decided he really did not like me trying so hard to be kawaii and friendly and cute and funny, and that it was really kind of creepy, so I stoped it altogether and went back to being angry and emo, and both my family and all of my friends started liking me again.

[Intelligence] So you troll in real life and overdoing it threatens yours and everyone else you give a fuck about sanity?
:salute:

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Jick_Magger_101 said:
Here's another one;
The newer Shin Megami Tensei games (all the ones starting after Nocturne) in regards to combat.
Most of them are based around exploiting enemies weaknesses, which gives you an additional turn to do as you please. The enemies, however, can also do this, and they can usually do far more damage than you can. Which means you can potentially run into about five enemies who all use a spell that you're currently weak against, and they'll just spend each and every opportunity to use that spell to utterly wreck your shit.
This is even worse in the fucking Persona games, where if the protag dies, it's an automatic game over, and there are enemies that cast instant-death spells. The thing that makes this hair-tearingly frustrating is that since most of these games are dungeon crawlers, save points are very, very far and inbetween, and so you'll often get into situations where you go through a good forty to fifty minutes of pure grinding and progression, only to die because you run into one guy who spends all his turns exploiting your ice weakness.
This isn't even going in to the enemies who have really, really obscure weaknesses. You'll run into at least one enemy per game that looks like he's weak to one spell, only to be completely unaffected by it. Like an enemy that has a ice motif that's actually weak to wind.
And then there are the fucking bosses...

Dungeon Crawlers = Rape

Also, if your MC was restricted to only one persona I would understand, but you can switch on the fly, and not bringing multiple resistances persona s and voids agains Hama/Mudo spells is a huge no-no.
Hell in SMT Nocturne you can get raped with status change spells and skills, i'd say it's not so scruvy, all in all.

Wolfus

Arcane
FF VII. Never finished it. I fought last boss maybe 5 times and after he killed me, I had to start over and kill dozens of tonnberies and golems. It was so frustrating I sold the game and deleted saves.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DraQ said:
Hamster said:
DraQ said:
Hamster said:
DraQ said:
Ego Draconis, at least according to some butthurt fucks.
:smug:

Dunno, i think Dragon Terror Patrol and Terminator reference qualifies as trolling. Good kind of trolling. :smug:
I meant the ending if you don't have the expansion.

Yeah, i can see how that can piss someone playing without expansion. Basically it's "you lost, idiot" :lol:
Though my reaction was more along the lines of:
:what:.... :salute:

Those guys have balls.
:incline:

Buying DKS only to find out that your saves are incompatible was a nice touch too. :smug:

Flanged

Scholar
Tunguska: Legend of Faith on PS1 was one painfully long troll (it lengthered itself artificially by making you go up and down each corridor, facing identical enemies and traps, at least twice).

It had a great intro video for the time, which hinted at a somewhat deep and adult plot which never actually appeared or had any relevance in the game itself, and every single game mechanic was filled with the maximum amount of derp and counter-intuitiveness. The slowness and shitness honestly can't have been accidental or simply down to poor workmanship or a rushed release. This was a deliberate sustained attack on the player.

This vid does an okay job of highlighting a fraction of the game's rampant bawbaggery:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Iuvc1cOEDg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom