Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gedonia - Open World RPG

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Yes, and easier to code means you need less time and as we all know, time is money.

Time is an investment, if you use it wisely on your game and improve it (system, engine optimization, various designs) you'll earn some money, if you release Gedonia, you will not.

It's as simple as that.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
What changed in Gedonia since the end of EA? I confess that I din't played much. But 200k for a single developer is a lot.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Do you recommend this game as magefag?

If 10 is the best spellcasting ever and 0 is the worst, I would say that is 6. I don't like that spellcasting is too gear dependent and full of stat stickie itemization. And found honestly elemental magic very lackluster, with frost element extremely week, din't liked any of the blood magic spells, but there are some good thinks, like fly which is very fun, teleport, the dark magic minions are good, golem spell is amazing, I liked a lot the magic guild quests and also recommend buying it.

Last edited:
I am in general agreement with Cyromancer. While most of the magic is pretty decent, most of it lacks "oomph". The Arcane tree is mostly concerned with mobility, but is fantastic. Its a heavy investment but absolutely worth it. Elemental is the most powerful offensively, but a bit dull. It has a good capstone summon though. Dark (Necromancy) is overall strong and the summons are interesting to mix with the different magic types. Light and Blood magic have good utility for gishes but lack real offensive power. Nature and Beast have some cool spells, but are a bit weak. The weakest area of magic are control spells. There really isn't much at all. Cold isn't worth much at all, and wind is a glorified knockdown.

While the magic has novel interactions and a surprising amount of nuances and skill cross-reactivity, its held back by item dependance, console gimped hotkey/toolbar, and rather ordinary spell list. Spellcasters will also be highly reliant on an stacking Arcane overload. Otherwise most offensive spells won't be strong enough.

For mage supremacists, Gedonia is somewhere between a 6 and 7 out of 10.

Tony

Novice
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I had some fun playing this game, but some broken quests ruined it for me. Not bad for a reasonably priced lighter game that doesn't take itself too seriously. I'll play again after it's been patched up some more.

notpl

Arbiter
The big problem with the magic is that all the enemies are just unity store asset models that shamble toward you or shoot a projectile with the complexity of minecraft enemies, so while you can make a rather elaborate character there's nothing interesting for you to utilize him against.

Lhynn

Arcane
Played it a lot today, melee really comes together once you get the chain, best skill, really fun to use and abuse the dumb AI with it.

Wish we had access to a toughness skilltree, the only one that gives you more hp is the shield tree, so it feels really shitty to invest there unless you actually use a shield, that or rename the shield to defense tree and allow us to parry/deflect with other melee weapons.

Also quite a few quests are broken or can be easily broken if you arent careful and save before trying them.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
the only one that gives you more hp is the shield tree

Blood magic tree also gives more hp, but in this game, gear is everything. You can find gear which gives +hp. About 80% of my +540 elemental power comes from gear. Even animal companions are extremely gear dependent in this game and so far is IMO the greatest downside of this game.

elverkongen

Learned
Can anyone who owns the game confirm this allegation?

fJBELes.png

Lhynn

Arcane
So pirated, played it, bought it and beat it. Light hearted rpg that seems to take elements from many games, mostly zelda with its open world, 3rd person view, and dungeons with fairly interesting gimmicks. Add to that a fairly indepth character system, factions and quests with multiple outcomes depending on build and choices, a decent lenght of 30ish hours to do everything, and it is a fairly good buy. No inane politics, no level scaling and it is fairly cheap.

It also comes with a bonus endless dungeon mode which is fairly fun if you want to get more out of the game.

Anyway, not superb but a very fun offer that feels like an rpg made 20 years ago, charming, gets my recommend.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The game is still updated.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1114220/view/3659775593303302599?l=english

Hello everyone! The game was updated with version 1.22a:

b6ddd0eee62a0fa2a85f6c6631c6017f2ad7020e.jpg

• Added two new epic sets of armor for previously missing character archetypes - Dark knight and Mystical archer. You can get them randomly through expeditions drops
  • Added an option to improve few bard abilities with runic forge
  • Magical chord and oppression chord abilities damage amount was quite overtuned, so it was decreased
  • Fixed bug with fishing in some lakes in the world
  • Fixed visual bugs with arcane mage set
  • Fixed bug with knock resistance and shield
  • Fixed the bug with killing enemies not counting in expeditions sometimes
  • Fixed werewolf and blood demon attack damaging friendly enemies

Northern kingdoms development

I wasn't able to work a lot in February due to family reasons unfortunately, but now I'm back at full force, and started working on Northern Kingdoms expansion. I'm not sure now long it will take to finish, cause there is a lot of stuff I want to add in this update. I have a few cool ideas for new dungeons, bosses, quests and activities to add, not even mentioning amount of level design that needs to be done. I think at the end of the spring I will be able to start some beta testing for it, and we will see how it goes from there.

Anyway, I wanted to share some progress that me and my 3d modeller managed to accomplish in these past few weeks. It's all work in progress and will be improved in time of course.
79aa4961d42c8c5c68218c95a6f093b9c1465aea.jpg

34d1f3758ae5eb3881e188389d1fbf786c303f9d.jpg

5765a27bd9857ea2d6b6d97378c6a079540878b0.jpg

e446ee8249496ada4d3e553dd9c44d1cbab19fe7.jpg

5d2d624db02ab190ab6bdc796f69c9e3a046a04a.jpg

d51934bda22e9a495f233b1cae1fddc756da8394.jpg

29b3ca29d987034fcff3729029f3c86f7cac6603.jpg

Hopefully I would be able to make a small preview/trailer for it on my youtube channel in upcoming weeks.

Thank you for your support!

Last edited:

Spike

Educated
The game is still updated.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1114220/view/3659775593303302599?l=english

Hello everyone! The game was updated with version 1.22a:

b6ddd0eee62a0fa2a85f6c6631c6017f2ad7020e.jpg

• Added two new epic sets of armor for previously missing character archetypes - Dark knight and Mystical archer. You can get them randomly through expeditions drops
  • Added an option to improve few bard abilities with runic forge
  • Magical chord and oppression chord abilities damage amount was quite overtuned, so it was decreased
  • Fixed bug with fishing in some lakes in the world
  • Fixed visual bugs with arcane mage set
  • Fixed bug with knock resistance and shield
  • Fixed the bug with killing enemies not counting in expeditions sometimes
  • Fixed werewolf and blood demon attack damaging friendly enemies

Northern kingdoms development

I wasn't able to work a lot in February due to family reasons unfortunately, but now I'm back at full force, and started working on Northern Kingdoms expansion. I'm not sure now long it will take to finish, cause there is a lot of stuff I want to add in this update. I have a few cool ideas for new dungeons, bosses, quests and activities to add, not even mentioning amount of level design that needs to be done. I think at the end of the spring I will be able to start some beta testing for it, and we will see how it goes from there.

Anyway, I wanted to share some progress that me and my 3d modeller managed to accomplish in these past few weeks. It's all work in progress and will be improved in time of course.
79aa4961d42c8c5c68218c95a6f093b9c1465aea.jpg

34d1f3758ae5eb3881e188389d1fbf786c303f9d.jpg

5765a27bd9857ea2d6b6d97378c6a079540878b0.jpg

e446ee8249496ada4d3e553dd9c44d1cbab19fe7.jpg

5d2d624db02ab190ab6bdc796f69c9e3a046a04a.jpg

d51934bda22e9a495f233b1cae1fddc756da8394.jpg

29b3ca29d987034fcff3729029f3c86f7cac6603.jpg

Hopefully I would be able to make a small preview/trailer for it on my youtube channel in upcoming weeks.

Thank you for your support!

This is great. I've had this for a while and never got around to it yet, but seems like that was for the best since he's working on this expansion now. Very pleased to hear, thanks for sharing. :hero:

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Been playing some Gedonia. Trying out a Bardish build. Did an AI search for RPG Codex Gedonia. Here is what it pulled as a summary using only Codex infos.

Gedonia is an open-world role-playing game inspired by oldschool classics. The game allows players to explore the vast world of Gedonia, progress their character any way they want, discover hidden treasures, and fight a vast array of enemies. The game has no narrative thread or unique gameplay mechanics. Questing involves picking up eggs from nests randomly placed atop cliffs or mountaintops, picking reeds, and hitting goblins. The game was created using the fantasy polygon Unity packs available from Synty Studios, which are considered bland and uninspired.Gedonia is currently available on Early Access

How mean.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom