Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Goodbye Bioware

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
What's the problem, exactly?

Here's the "problem": Contra 3's gameplay was hardcore and extremely good. Besides, neither was it pretending to be a deep RPG, nor was it used as a pretext to sell lame-ass erotic fanfic.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I was responding to the whole story debacle, not the gameplay, you illiterate nutsacks. People gave Bio shit for that final boss in ME2 but I loved every goddamn ridiculous fucking minute of it. It was awesome.

In terms of story:
Mass Effect 1 - Pretentious garbage
Mass Effect 2 - Lighthearted fun
Mass Effect 3 - Pretentious garbage

Mortmal

Arcane
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.274668-Dragon-Age-2-Sales
DA2DAO-2.jpg

"In total DA2 hit over 1.3 million sold during its 10 week run, mainly supported by the 400.000 Pre-Orders they had"

Flacracker

Educated
I was responding to the whole story debacle, not the gameplay, you illiterate nutsacks. People gave Bio shit for that final boss in ME2 but I loved every goddamn ridiculous fucking minute of it. It was awesome.

In terms of story:

Mass Effect 1 is easily the best ME game. How exactly is it pretentious? Mass Effect 2 doesnt even have a story. Mass Effect 3 is pretentious but just comes off as incompetent.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated

In terms of story:

Mass Effect 1 is easily the best ME game. How exactly is it pretentious?
It's early morning here but I can always think of two major reasons:

1. The Reapers and their totally not retarded motivations. There's no way you can write your way out of the premise of "evil spaceships destroy the universe every 50,000 years" and not have it sound retarded, but Mass Effect 1 pretended like it was serious and the fans bought it, hoping for a conclusion where all would be revealed and the secrets of the Reapers would be completely plausible. In that sense, I'm laughing my ass of at all the idiots who are upset that ME3 ended with Bio pulling a Deus Ex. How the fuck did you think it was going to end?

2. It's touted as a game where your actions "truly" have consequences, yet none of these consequences actually happen (!) or they're only minimally seen/heard of in MASS EFFECT 2 & 3. I'm very much okay with consequences carrying over throughout games but it would've been nice if the things I did in ME1, that should've directly affected ME1, happened in ME1!

Mass Effect 2 doesnt even have a story.
How do you figure this, exactly? I've asked about this many times and none of you "ME2 didn't have a story"-tards ever seem to want to answer. I don't know what exact requirements a story must have according to you, but Mass Effect 2 is about ending a secret threat against humanity while the Reapers prepare to fuck up Earth (ME3). And hey, also, in between story missions you have all these mini-stories (loyalty missions), so I suppose, sure, ME2 didn't have a story, it had STORIES.

Mass Effect 3 is pretentious but just comes off as incompetent.
It's both, honestly. If it hadn't been for the whole "finishing part of the epic trilogy, all will be revealed" thing, ME3 could easily have gotten a pass for their retarded shit just like ME1. If Bio had announced that they were going to make a ME4 before they released ME3, I'm SURE most fans would've been like "it's cool, they're gonna answer everything in the next game!" "Awesome, I'm gonna do some jungle action with Garrus! Maybe help Earth start anew and then we'll stop the Reapers FOR REAL!" Because that's how Bio operates and I'm sure that's why some morons were upset that ME2 largely ignored all that stupid Reaper cycle shit in order to focus on an enemy whose motivations were over-the-top silly and never pretended otherwise.

Compare:
Mass Effect 1 Reapers: We're powerful, amazing, godly and our motvations are not for you to question, mere mortal!
Mass Effect 2 Collectors: Eh, we're just kidnapping humans for some evil stuff. Stop us if you dare.
Mass Effect 3 Reapers: We're powerful, amazing, godly and we destroy all life so it won't be destroyed and it makes sense!

Themadcow

Augur
The best thing BioWare could do for DA3 is to go on record apologising to all DA:O fans for DA2 and promising to learn the lessons of their stupidity. You know, like Michael Bay did for Transformers 3 when he apologised for Transformers 2 - except for the small fact that Transformers 1 was also a stinking pile of crud. Um, yes.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
My theory about users with 2011 join dates continues to be correct.
That we're all super smart and undisputed harbingers of the incline? :smug:

How do you figure this, exactly? I've asked about this many times and none of you "ME2 didn't have a story"-tards ever seem to want to answer.
ME2's story was boring, filler garbage. You don't really feel like you're any closer to defeating the Reapers at the conclusion than you do at the very beginning. The only meaningful things that happen are at the very end and in *drum roll* the DLC. They could have, quite literally, just cut ME2 entirely and attached the game's DLC to ME3 you wouldn't have lost much.*

All in all, ME2 just feels like you're sort of meandering around doing nothing. Plot-wise, it's pretty obvious that it was just to tide fans over until they could get around to making ME3.

*May or may not be true, I refuse to subject myself to the overpowering derp of ME3.

Schleichwerbung

Educated

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
"evil spaceships destroy the universe every 50,000 years"
Of course they can. Frederick Pohl did it, and it was nothing short of profound. But Hamburger Helper is no Frederick Pohl, son. High concept writing and hack writers spells 200+ page threads full of LOL.
It's entirely because Pohl did it that Bio couldn't. They already stole everything else about the Reapers from Gateway but they needed to come up with their own motivation for the Reapers and that proved a challenge. Or maybe they just had it all figured out even before they wrote the "your feeble minds"-speech and genuinly thought their explanation that Reapers kill everything because otherwise someone else will kill everything was good.

Pohl's Assassins: ancient super-civilization that wipe out other civilizations responsible for creating too much radioactivity, or something like that, I forget. It's silly but at least it's..... something.
Bio's Reapers: ancient Cthulhu-spaceships that wipe out other civilizations every 50,000 years just because.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Well, they should have gone with a twist of some kind in ME1. Like showing some ambiguity of the Reaper story, since everyone in ME is either like "Reapers? Nah, it's just a story" or "Oh yes, the Reapers are coming!". Or perhaps giving them some other reason to exist, etc. That would be cool, but I suppose it's too complex for Bio writers.

As for ME2, I suppose that folks writing that it has no story want to say that it makes no sense in the context of the first game. It's fun in itself but fails as a sequel.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Of course they can. Frederick Pohl did it, and it was nothing short of profound. But Hamburger Helper is no Frederick Pohl, son. High concept writing and hack writers spells 200+ page threads full of LOL.

Finally, someone else who realizes that ME's story was basically a sub-par ripoff of Gateway. I knew there was a reason I joined this place. :obviously:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I do have to say even though the ending dramatics aren';t my thing it has given me A LOT of L0LZ with the photoshops and other hialrious shit! Keep up the good work !

theHiddenHand

Educated
[/SIZE said:
Aeschylus]Knotanalt said:
Of course they can. Frederick Pohl did it, and it was nothing short of profound. But Hamburger Helper is no Frederick Pohl, son. High concept writing and hack writers spells 200+ page threads full of LOL.​
Finally, someone else who realizes that ME's story was basically a sub-par ripoff of Gateway. I knew there was a reason I joined this place. :obviously:

There is also the revelation space trilogy by Alastair Reynolds complete with machines (inhibitors, wolves) wiping out sentinent life and deus ex ending.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Pohl's Assassins: ancient super-civilization that wipe out other civilizations responsible for creating too much radioactivity, or something like that, I forget. It's silly but at least it's..... something."

L0LZ

Kz3r0

Arcane
Shameless steal:
Black already posted it in the EA thread, but this is also relevant to LOL Bioware!, so:

Hundreds of developers may soon find themselves out of work, as a StartupGrind report claims Electronic Arts is planning to lay off between 500 and 1,000 employees, as much as 11 percent of the company, with cuts coming as soon as this week.

The story is written by former EA employee and Burnout franchise product manager Derek Andersen and cites multiple sources within the company for the news. Andersen pointed to a variety of contributing factors for the cuts, noting that the massively multiplayer online role-playing game Star Wars: The Old Republic did not meet internal sales estimates and is facing declining subscription numbers.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-laying-off-up-to-1000-report-6371851

biowaresss..jpg
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-mass-effect-thread.68704/page-272#post-2053566
:hero:

Black

Arcane
Hah, you know, maybe once EA falls we should have an international "gamer day" that day

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I want to be on BSN when the day comes so i can tell my children of the cries of despair.

Black

Arcane
I want to be on BSN when the day comes so i can tell my children of the cries of despair.
Make sure to spam LOCKDOWN LOCKDOWN LOCKDOWN while impersonating Chris Beastly while you're there.

thesoup

Arcane
So I guess Bioware has reached the

...end of line.

:yeah:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom