Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gordon Freeman voted best vg hero ever on Gamespot

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
A character with no personality, no lines, no relationships with other characters longer than 5 lines of dialogue, no unique equipment besides a hazmat suit. I'm sure someone out there thinks that makes him like totally unique and stuff and speaks to the mirror in our souls (HES ARE AVATAR), I'm also sure that person is durr hurr.

I suppose it wasn't Master Chief or Aries

http://www.gamespot.com/greatest-video- ... id=6233560

Chefe

Erudite
Well, at least it was an actual character. Those character battles on Gamespot's GameFaqs usually end up with Cloud vs a Tetris block.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
A tetris block is more interesting that either Freeman or Cloud.

Chefe

Erudite
That's impossible as they don't speak, express no emotions, and have no other actions besides succumbing to gravity.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Chefe said:
That's impossible as they don't speak, express no emotions, and have no other actions besides succumbing to gravity.
Just like Gordon Freeman and Cloud. The only one that defies gravity is Cloud's hair.

Chefe

Erudite
Kosmonaut said:
Chefe said:
Just like Gordon Freeman and Cloud. The only one that defies gravity is Cloud's hair.

Cloud? Cloud won't shut up. He's one of the most emotional characters ever.

Gordon shoots things and he's a scientist or something.

Tetris blocks fall. Occasionally they are turned in one of four directions to interlock with identical blocks. There is no way those stupid little things are more interesting than actual characters like Gordon and Cloud.

Unless...

The tetris block could represent the oppression of communism. Each block is a citizen, virtually indistinct from one another in any way except their jobs, expressed in how they fall and where they fit into the communist world. They may have different colorings, but they are all the same. The player takes the form of the government, placing each citizen by force into their designated roles. When the government screws up, it is the citizens who pay the price through death (screen wipe), while the government continues on with a new batch of job slaves. When the citizen fulfills its role with its fellows (creates a solid line) it dies and is eliminated - forgotten forever except through its contribution to the economy (the total score). As each block falls and is manipulated, you can feel their anguish and their despair. They are utterly hopeless and their lot in life is fixed from birth (the little box on the right hand side that tells you what's coming next).

You look at the top row. You need one of those short T blocks. However, a Z block is dispensed from the Tetris orphanage. That Z block is not meant for that hole, but there is no other citizen available, and so he must suffer in an uncomfortable position because the player (the communist government, remember) says he must fulfill that job. That position is where he will stay until death. Whether that death comes from old age (line is cleared) or a government meltdown (game over) is irrelevant. The end result is the same. He will either be derided for not fitting into the hole or he will be forgotten.

You look at that block in that uncomfortable position. There is nothing that can be done. You can feel his pain of having to hold up so much. He seems to long for the sweet release of death. But you, you have a way of looking at him as a troublemaker. He is sitting there and messing up the playing field. You put him there but you still blame him for the failures of your government. You look for the quickest way to put him down, to snuff him out. And that is how all citizens are viewed by communist dictatorships.

Such is the lot in life of the Tetris block.

I think I see what you guys were talking about. I'm sorry. I had no idea. To deny these blocks the rights of characters is to deny them humanity itself. So much do we owe the Tetris blocks, and so much do they give. A character who's emotion is forced shut by oppression is still a character. Perhaps... perhaps that character is deeper than those who wear their hearts on their sleeves.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Lo Wang is the best game character ever. He would beat the crap out of Freeman, kill any enemy by his mere awesome presence and woo Alyx by farting in her face.

Chefe

Erudite
You're just upset that you weren't blessed with my literary genius. Instead, you have to settle for making posts about Gamespot polls and shooters.

Still bros, right?

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Konjad said:
i wonder what character would win on codex
da_sex_8.jpg

Achilles

Arcane
I'm glad Gordon Freeman won. He's one of the few modern game characters without a gravelly voice, he's the only one with normal guy physique and he wears glasses. His victory over all the other generic heroes is nothing but :incline:

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Alexandros said:
I'm glad Gordon Freeman won. He's one of the few modern game characters without a gravelly voice, he's the only one with normal guy physique and he wears glasses. His victory over all the other generic heroes is nothing but :incline:

I don't know about this half life bullshit but fuck no. Real heroes have huge muscles, what the fuck are you thinking, are you a faggot?

Chefe didn't win anything, that was lame.

I agree with the fat faggot here, that was a piece of shit text, the communism angle is obviously forced, generic and overdone, smells like college or something. As a truly elite individual, I feel this man does not have the culture to come up with something truly clever, which is truly why I am pointing this out for everyone and I am p. elite and a critic, how does that feel

Chefe

Erudite
You are some serious business, bro.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom