Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic remake from THQ Nordic

sosmoflux

Educated
Best case scenario is they just ripoff Dark Souls and don't do anything too weird. Like Elex. I can't see them doing anything else, really.

Fargus

Arcane
Which one then, Modron ?

Personally i hate the combat in Elex even more lol

The combat system in Gothic 3 is total crap. There aren't many games where a regular wolf is more dangerous than a group of orcs.
Stunlock abusing monsters were fucking hilarious. I still remember the butthurt. Played that shit on release.

The magic system in gothic 3 is quite good and some spells are very satisfying to use (hello Summon Lightning). As for melee combat, community patch fixes that but I don't play with alternative ai all the time. Besides wolves in melee are a joke if you equip spear and spam the quick combo (RMB pressed and click LMB). Truth is, it's easy to cheese melee fights both gothic 3 vanilla and with community patch installed.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Isn't the Gothic 3 combat system the most hated?
Elex and Elex 2 both way worse. Risen 2 (maybe? It's been a while) and Risen 3 are also worse. I actually enjoyed Gothic 3 with the fan patches. Not a bad game aside from the stuttering.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Worst melee combat.
Great magic and archery.

So, depends. If you wanna play as an water mage, is incredible fun. If you wanna play as an paladn, it is booooring. Endless spin to win with an halberd is the best strategy.

The only good combat system they ever did was in Risen1.
Not exactly anything to write home about, but yeah, it was probably the closest thing to a competent and somewhat balanced system PB made.

After that point, somehow they managed to get progressively worse at every entry. Risen 2 and 3 were inexplicably a step back from Risen 1, ELEX was trash and went toe-to-toe with Gothic 3 as their worst output in term of combat (with the saving grace of being tied to a better -and better looking- game) and ELEX 2 was... God, I don't even know... I pirated that shit, played six or seven hours to get the gist and then deleted the whole thing because I wasn't feeling it.

sosmoflux

Educated
I wish there was more backstory around the downfall of PB. Why are they like this? Do the Germans know? I want a 5 hour youtube video breakdown.

Modron

Arcane
Which one then, Modron ?

Personally i hate the combat in Elex even more lol

The combat system in Gothic 3 is total crap. There aren't many games where a regular wolf is more dangerous than a group of orcs.
Stunlock abusing monsters were fucking hilarious. I still remember the butthurt. Played that shit on release.
Risen 2 melee sucks, there are plenty of large smashy enemies in which engaging in melee is suboptimal at best (the pendulum swung far too much back in the opposite direction with Risen 3 of course in which you could fairly easily parry almost every single melee attack ever). Adding further insult to injury, they replaced the fun newtonian archery of Gothic 3 and Risen 1 with inaccurate guns that work on cooldowns and then gated better guns with the colonial forces so you had to choose between the 2-3 memorable quests in the game or less tedious means of dispatching hp sponge enemies.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
How the combat will gonna be? The same shit with extremely low lehtality and potions that inta teleport to the character's belly?

They're probably working on combat mechanics akin to Elex combat which would be okay. Otherwise it's going to be mouse click smash + qte to remove chunk of health, rinse and repeat which would be the worst scenario. Potions will be instaheal, almost no doubt about that.

Zurbo

Novice

Worst melee combat.
Great magic and archery.

So, depends. If you wanna play as an water mage, is incredible fun. If you wanna play as an paladn, it is booooring. Endless spin to win with an halberd is the best strategy.
They had some good ideas for spells, like time bubble, AOE that gives a feeling of power, or some utility ones, like changing the daytime into night. One can surely play with them for immersion
Although the sad fact about the combat is, that fireball and its equivalents are so overpowered and spammable, that most of the time they'll be the most efficient, while using more creative ways to deal with enemies is more like creating your own challenge. And it's fine, since fireball spamming gets boring after a while.
However you're getting kind of discouraged from it by how easily your casting animation of those more fun spells gets interrupted, how annoying that is and how troubleless and quicker the spamming alternative is.

Fargus

Arcane
It's not a bad game with patches. But you still have to suffer through shitty combat, dumbed down dialogue and npc interraction and plethora of fetch quests.

Best thing about G3 was atmosphere and music plus you get to explore Myrtana, see old buddies and get rid of the orcs once and for all if you want. And hate it or not it was a conclusion to nameless hero's journey. Street shitter expansion and "sequel" don't exist for me.

Fargus

Arcane
Yeah it was just a cash grab by failing JoWood and they used cheap pajit workforce to make this frankenstein monster.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I actually enjoyed Gothic 3 with the fan patches. Not a bad game aside from the stuttering.
I assume most people haven't played it this way or it would be much more well regarded. Actually a good game with the additions.
It's not a bad game with patches.
It WOULD be an enjoyable, if noticeably unfinished game, if it wasn't for the galactically retarded number of enemies swarming you all the time, especially in the north. Which is hilariously out of whack with the traditional PB approach to RPGs and worldbuilding, let alone combat.

The G3 combat with the patches and Alt-AI is fun, when you're fighting a single opponent in an arena. Circling around, trying to pierce his block while maintaining yours, looking for opportunity to strike. Finally overpowering him in a few minutes.

And then you start facing dozens upon dozens, even hundreds of opponents descending on you like locusts and with a combat like this, you just give up. This is not Gothic, it's not PB and it's definitely not fun. Too bad all those aspie modders have never thought of pruning the stupid, gamebreaking number of enemies.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Even if G3 was completely bug-free and performed well on weaker machines, it would still be a shit game and a massive decline from G2 NotR.

Still boggles my mind why PB decided to switch from their relatively small, but densely packed island of G1-2, to an actual continent with three different countries. Of course they ran out of time, it was an absolutely unfeasible concept from the get go. The only decent parts of Gothic 3 were the music (if you ignore the annoying combat theme) and handcraftedness of the gameworld.

Realistic world design? Not in this game, PB didn't have enough resources to create belieavable cities, so the grand kingdom of Myrtana ended up being some backwater shithole that consisted of a couple of small villages smaller than Khorinis. Exploration? Shit, the loot was level-scaled because PB didn't have enough resources to manually put something interesting in every ingame chest. Interesting quest design? Shit, PB didn't have resources to come up with interesting quests and stories for each and every small town or village, so you end up having to do copy-pasted MMO quests like 'bring me 10 boar skins" or "collect 8 flowers". Half of the perks don't work, or work but it would be better if you don't learn them because they are useless. Combat is braindead because enemy AI was unfinished and weapon movesets weren't properly playtested.

Literally every aspect of this game was shit because PB didn't have time or resources to implement them properly. The whole game is one massive placeholder.

Tyrr

Liturgist
the loot was level-scaled because PB didn't have enough resources to manually put something interesting in every ingame chest. Interesting quest design? Shit, PB didn't have resources to come up with interesting quests and stories for each and every small town or village, so you end up having to do copy-pasted MMO quests like 'bring me 10 boar skins" or "collect 8 flowers".
For Bethesda that's AAA RPG game design.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I agree. G3 traded quality for quantity. However, is not as if G3 is in ArcaniA tier. G3 still ca be a quite fun game. IMO, G2 is inferior to G1. G1 has a unique atmosphere, more unique story and camps(instead of the cliche good vs evil) and honestly was more immersive.

sosmoflux

Educated
I remember how excited I felt holding the Gothic 3 box on release day.
I remember how it ran at 5fps and it spawned you into some ridiculous conflict right away.
I remember how the light started to fade from my eyes.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I actually enjoyed Gothic 3 with the fan patches. Not a bad game aside from the stuttering.
I assume most people haven't played it this way or it would be much more well regarded. Actually a good game with the additions.
I played with full community patch.

Remember how amazing storytelling and quests were in Gothics? How much attention to details was given? How even simplest tasks had a story you could recall and inscribed memories? Gothic 3 throws it all out the window for copy-pasted quests and locations.

I do not mean it figuratively. The entire world is filled with many towns. You can traverse through three different kingdoms/areas - from their farms to their capitals. The problem is: They all have the very same quests to get +++ reputation, so you can meet the leader, do a quest for him and get an artifact that you need to collect from another fed-ex quest (from Xardas/Rhobar). ALL quests are extremely simplistic and devoid of story. You meet many people, no matter if these are old friend NPCs, the king or just random people on the street - they all have only very few uninteresting lines that just tell you what to do for their fed-ex quest, and after you complete it you forget about them. There are no stories told. Have you seen the outro of Gothic 2 and you had many questions? Now when you meet Xardas he only says "I devoured the power of dragons! Now bring me 6 artifacts". The same if you meet the king himself: "We lost the war, so now I need 6 artifacts!".

Instead of faction choice, now you get +++ points in factions by doing the same extremely basic tasks or freeing towns (where you just kill all orcs in a town). Mentioning orcs, I should also add that the terrifying orcs of Gothic 1/2 with their own language and tribal culture were replaced with "intelligent" orcs that are exactly like humans, but bigger and greener/more blue.

The main story I cannot criticize because it doesn't exist. You are just thrown into the world with copy-pasted everything repeating same quest over and over again. By chance you should gather all the artifacts at some point and bring them somewhere to finish the game, but I had no patience to do so. I endured through a lot of trashy games, but this one is too much. Except decent music it has no positive aspects. There is literally no motive to play it, MMOs are way more varied in quests and elaborate in their story.

If only at least it was a decent walking simulator. However, all surroundings and environments are also just copy-paste and there is no reason for exploration. This game is the opus magnum of copy-paste. It is the embodiment of repeatability. I have never in my life played a game that is even half as protracting. Even for a fan of original Gothics this game is pure garbage.

I won't even go through trouble of describing how technically bad this game is and constantly sutters for 1-3 seconds even on a modern NVMe SSD with 4 core CPU and decently powerful GPU.

In fact, rusty_shackleford , pephaps you could answer a few questions I have about the game:
1. Why was Khorinis the only place with a port in the entire world?
2. Why there were so many women in Khorinis (basically about the same as male population), but on the entire continent except Khorinis there is only a handful?
3. Considering the events are not far apart between G2 and G3, why are orks so much more developed and civilized than on the Khorinis? Are they the same race or different? Were Khorinis orks some uncivilized tribes (think of the Sentinel Island) whereas on the continent they are much better developed? I guess but just want to make sure.
4. How do orks procreate? Is there only one sex or is it more like D&D dwarfs (no visual obvious discrepancies between sexes)
5. How do humans procreate? In G and G2 it looked like real-life humans (there were no kids, but I guess we can blame it on political correctness?), but in G3 it seems it's more like... beehive? There are many male workers and only few females that reproduce all the time?

Doktor Best

Arcane
I remember how excited I felt holding the Gothic 3 box on release day.
I remember how it ran at 5fps and it spawned you into some ridiculous conflict right away.
I remember how the light started to fade from my eyes.

Gothic 3 and Oblivion were two very hard blows to my childlike optimism.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom