Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic remake from THQ Nordic

I just read a passing comment elsewhere about how apparently one of the devs for this remake commented on Steam to not expect the game until late 2024/early 2025?

Big fucking bummer if true.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I just read a passing comment elsewhere about how apparently one of the devs for this remake commented on Steam to not expect the game until late 2024/early 2025?

Big fucking bummer if true.
Well it IS an open world RPG, those don't get made quickly nowadays, with how time consuming high-res assets are.

Anyway it's whatever. This is gonna end up in tears, predictably. It'll look cheaper and jankier than Elex so it'll flop with normies, especially with the Kwans, but it'll be too expensive to make for the hardcore vets to save the day.

THQ should've saved the money, wheel out a proper team within their vast stables (someone like Warhorse), gave it a solid AAA budget and make a brand new Gothic. If done properly it'd kill. Open-world RPGs are the shit nowadays.

Ravielsk

Magister
Still boggles my mind why PB decided to switch from their relatively small, but densely packed island of G1-2, to an actual continent with three different countries. Of course they ran out of time, it was an absolutely unfeasible concept from the get go.
I think it was because Jowood pressured them to compete with TES but without adjusting the budget or release window.
Shit, the loot was level-scaled because PB didn't have enough resources to manually put something interesting in every ingame chest.
It was not level scaled it was just 100% random. A chest at the end of a dungeon had a equal chance of dropping a ladle as it did a sword. I remember how its was one of the biggest if not the biggest change the fan patch made to the game back in the day.

Rhobar121

Scholar
It was rather unlikely that the game would come out in 2023 considering that at the beginning of 2020 they had absolutely nothing.
I'm not sure if they even had a full crew in February.

From the good news the game uses UE4 which means there's a good chance it won't be technical crap.

Dodo1610

Arcane
You are both wrong the best weapons are in the heavy chests
https://gothic.fandom.com/wiki/Gothic_3_Unique_Chests
heavy chests that will give a certain weapon depending on the order they are opened. Each time one of these chests are opened the corresponding item from a static list will be inside.

It's one of the most retarded loot system in gaming history. Since that means weapon from the dragon caves might be worse than the weapons you find in a heavy chests in some random ruin.

+Gothic 3 has level scaling enemies, so the best way to play Gothic 3 is to kill the Dragons at level 1anyway :lol:

Last edited:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1297900/view/3647390066627780213
All the Focus Stones scattered throughout the Colony are guarded by dangerous, and at times even terrifying creatures. Do you recall the defenders of the magical artifact in Troll's Canyon and the inhabitants of the Mountain Fort, which you explore with your trusted companions, Diego and Lester? It's never a good idea to go there alone! Because these places are home to the insidious Harpies, whose piercing screams can make your ears bleed. The sound is unmistakable!

HARPY_RENDER_FullQuality.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
You are both wrong the best weapons are in the heavy chests
https://gothic.fandom.com/wiki/Gothic_3_Unique_Chests
heavy chests that will give a certain weapon depending on the order they are opened. Each time one of these chests are opened the corresponding item from a static list will be inside.

It's one of the most retarded loot system in gaming history. Since that means weapon from the dragon caves might be worse than the weapons you find in a heavy chests in some random ruin.

+Gothic 3 has level scaling enemies, so the best way to play Gothic 3 is to kill the Dragons at level 1anyway :lol:
Actually it's not bad system, it gives reason to player to visit a random cave at starting location.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
I remember how excited I felt holding the Gothic 3 box on release day.
I remember how it ran at 5fps and it spawned you into some ridiculous conflict right away.
I remember how the light started to fade from my eyes.

Boars stunlocking me...
Loading a game taking 4 minutes...
Constantly reloading to get out of boar stunlocks...
Another pack of boars... DADADA-DADA-DADADA...
Damn shy deer, where are you...
Oh my quest is broken...
Oh I can't join guilds...

:negative:

Turn_BASED

Educated
I remember how excited I felt holding the Gothic 3 box on release day.
I remember how it ran at 5fps and it spawned you into some ridiculous conflict right away.
I remember how the light started to fade from my eyes.

Boars stunlocking me...
Loading a game taking 4 minutes...
Constantly reloading to get out of boar stunlocks...
Another pack of boars... DADADA-DADA-DADADA...
Damn shy deer, where are you...
Oh my quest is broken...
Oh I can't join guilds...

:negative:
Lets not forget the incredible voice acting

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
quote from a developer ...
In the last interview our director said "realistic time window is 2024", but it is only realistic, everything can change.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

These retards will destroy Gothic, Outcast 2 and Alone in the Dark.

edit: it's probably a April's Fool day joke but fuck it

Last edited:

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Gothic Remake Podcast is out NOW!
b83e2c321ab364a7c301d9fef569c3ffd0441ad2.png

Get ready to journey back to the colony with the ultimate insider guide to the upcoming Gothic Remake! In this exciting new podcast, our legendary composer Kai Rosenkranz and lead producer Reinhard Pollice will reveal behind-the-scenes details and share never-before-heard stories!

From the challenges of updating a classic and the secrets of the game's development to the new sound of the game - this podcast has it all! Tune in to hear from the experts themselves and discover what's in store for the Gothic Remake!

Welcome to the colony! Again!

Their hearts seem to be in the right place and for the most parts they are saying the right things... which is not to say they will prove to have the skill to achieve what they are setting for.
Still, kinda sad that at this point I have more hopes in their (untested) abilities than on the actual studio that made the originals.

Also "50% of the game is done" makes it sound like this shit will be out in 2025 if we are lucky, Jesus Christ.

On a positive note, Kai Rosenkranz still seems to have his touch with music.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Their hearts seem to be in the right place and for the most parts they are saying the right things
Yes that's very much in vogue today.

"I love Star Wars, am the biggest fan".... produces Last Jedi.
"We're the biggest fans of Star Trek, so fun, love it".... produce Discovery and Pickard.
"We're the absolute biggest fans of LotR, always going back to the books, back to the books, back to the books"..... produce Rings of Power.

Seems claiming you're the biggest fan of some beloved boomer IP is the new favourite trick of woke con men, con women and con everything between.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Their hearts seem to be in the right place and for the most parts they are saying the right things

"We're the biggest fans of Star Trek, so fun, love it".... produce Discovery and Pickard.
"We're the absolute biggest fans of LotR, always going back to the books, back to the books, back to the books"..... produce Rings of Power.

Seems claiming you're the biggest fan of some beloved boomer IP is the new favourite trick of woke con men, con women and con everything between.
Not to mention that these guys have already put forth a demo. Good words are meaningless when we have concrete evidence of their intentions put into action.

Yeah... I wasn't really referring to the generic "We are the biggest fans of". More to the explicit declarations of intent: "This is what a remake should be and should not be", "We don't want to repeat the mistakes made with the concept demo, so we are taking a different approach", etc, etc.

For the record I don't even think their honesty on the topic is of particular relevance. You can very well be the most passionate, understanding fan of a series with a clear idea of what makes it good and still fuck up massively on following in its footsteps because your skillset simply isn't up to the task.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

Not to mention that these guys have already put forth a demo. Good words are meaningless when we have concrete evidence of their intentions put into action.
The demo was just a haphazard proof of concept to gauge interest and collect feedback
Doubt it will reflect the final release
But then again these days you can't be sure of anything...

Hobo Elf

Arcane

The demo was just a haphazard proof of concept to gauge interest and collect feedback
Sure, but a proof of concept isn't random shit thrown together for no reason. It's supposed to show what the general idea and feel they are going for is. And it was so off the mark that it's obvious they have no intention to make a Gothic game for Gothic fans.

curds

Magister
And it was so off the mark that it's obvious they have no intention to make a Gothic game for Gothic fans.
The only reason to remake a video game is to sell it to a different audience who couldn't handle the original for whatever reason.

Therefore if you are a Gothic fan, this game is not being made with your interests at heart, but the interests of casuals/retards/zoomers, etc.

notpl

Arbiter

Sure, but a proof of concept isn't random shit thrown together for no reason. It's supposed to show what the general idea and feel they are going for is. And it was so off the mark that it's obvious they have no intention to make a Gothic game for Gothic fans.
They had no idea what they were going for because they are a group of random Spanish interns that have never made a game before. After negative feedback, they hired one of the original dozen men that made Gothic in the first place and the technical director from the only good Gothic product made in the last 20 years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom