Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic remake from THQ Nordic

flyingjohn

Arcane
A remake is not a remaster.
A remake still needs to have the strengths of the original game.
the people in Square Enix was right
No, Square is wrong 24/7 about everything.
there's no point in making a remake if it is not better than the original
Money money money.
Trying to make a better game than a classic is a far more daunting and difficult task than what many seem to realize.
Take Gothic 1, update the textures and modernize the controls and you get something good while keeping all the content. Just look at the RE1 remake or most Jap games modern remakes.
To the point where you should be asking why bother making a remake when you can be making a brand new game instead
Because IP recognition gives more monies. A new game that is unproven can either flop or succeed while a established brand( even a old one like Gothic) at least guarantees some of your investment back.

They somehow managed to remove everything that gave Gothic its charm, even the background music is subdued. Sad!
I find it mildly impressive how modern devs can be given a complete template on how to build a game in the form of another game and still extract everything but what is actually part of the template. Its as if I gave you a step by step video on how to cook a chicken and you somehow came back with spaghetti. Its a result sure but... just how the fuck did you get that kind of result.

It's because they have been convicted that what made the game good is outdated and need to be brought to modern standard. It's also caused by their inability to understand what worked in the old game.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
To the point where you should be asking why bother making a remake when you can be making a brand new game instead, which doesn't take much more work and gives you more flexiability.

There is loads that could be done in Gothic that would warrant a remaster, graphically first of course but the narrative could be expanded, the latter half of the game feels a bit rushed, there could be a old camp route added, expanding mage paths with story aspects or becoming a Guru, maybe get a swamp camp loyalist route (including bad end?) or some shit.

The combat should retain it's identity as it is quite tactical and well done, if simple, in the original. You could also expand on side content and skills that are not related to combat, not to mention that G2 handled combat skill progression vastly better.

There is loads that can be done in a "real" remaster that does not infringe on the games Identity, at least I have to say aside from animations, model quality and the lack of color the old camp looks like a decent rendition as far as one can tell with a "cinematic" trailer.

EDIT: I mean look at Archolos, it's a modern Gothic rendition and it's *spot on*

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
The atmosphere of the game will be lost with new graphics. Just add texture packs like the mods, the game looks great with those.

Only change I'd like to see (despite it breaking continuity with G2) is to the story. I want to stay with old camp, either under gomez or taking over as an ore baron myself. If I want new camp, use the ore mound. Swamp camp? Either worship the sleeper or kill him. Something like that would've made gothic my undisputed favourite game of all time.

Last edited:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
All this hate over a cinematic trailer that probably has nothing to do with the game. Codex sure does love shitting on anything new. It'll probably be shit, but you are guys are being a bunch of retarded spergs.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
All this hate over a cinematic trailer that probably has nothing to do with the game. Codex sure does love shitting on anything new. It'll probably be shit, but you are guys are being a bunch of retarded spergs.

Well people have hoped to actually see something that has content. It's mostly a waste of time.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I figured the trailer was meant to showcase Gothic's "social stealth" features. Thinking specifically of the scene where the rogue avoids combat after calling off his attempt to rob the house.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
I figured the trailer was meant to showcase Gothic's "social stealth" features. Thinking specifically of the scene where the rogue avoids combat after calling off his attempt to rob the house.

That's one thing they could certainly expand upon, the samey reactions on specific actions can certainly be upgraded. You are still fabulously optimistic if you interpet any real content (apart from the Old camp and armor design and the color desaturation out of a cinematic trailer)

notpl

Arbiter
It is a really bad cinematic trailer, though.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The trailer isn't indicative of the gameplay. On the other hand, if it's in engine and the graphics are close to what was presented, will at least make it enticing to explore the island again, after so many playthroughs of the original.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
A reminder that modern developer goals are to shit on everything you loved and remake it into their own image. They are doing a cultural revolution whose sole goal is to destroy the society before to leave in its place a heartless, soulless, and meaningless existence.

Fearlessjay

Novice
True. I am more interested in the rerelease of Gothic on the Switch then this. I just remember how bad the Gothic games became after Piranha Bytes moved on.

Jinn

Arcane
You understand that people aren't simply reacting to the trailer, right? The demo they released was atrocious, and just because they say they're going to change things based on feedback doesn't erase the fact they clearly have no understanding of what made the original good. I'd normally agree that the sperging here goes too far, but you're way off base on this. These spanish fucks deserve extreme criticism and scrutiny.

Last edited:

scytheavatar

Scholar
Take Gothic 1, update the textures and modernize the controls and you get something good while keeping all the content. Just look at the RE1 remake or most Jap games modern remakes.

If you update the textures and modernize the controls of Gothic 2, you will get something good. I think it will be much harder for Gothic 1 to impress while doing the same thing, cause it is a far more basic game that hasn't aged as well.

Also, a lot of people don't understand or appreciate that remaking RPGs is far more expensive and bigger projects than remaking RE games, just fixing the combat of Gothic 1 is going to be a ton of work. I simply think it's hard for a Gothic 1 remake to sell enough copies to be worth the investment.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
just fixing the combat of Gothic 1 is going to be a ton of work.
View that Gothics 1 or 2 has bad combat is some strange myth. When you look at the games released around that time you can easily notice gothic actually has a combat with good balanace between gameplay skill and stats. People claim it's wooden, but I'd rather have this combat with some mechanical depth rather than spam-clicking modern combat. There is quite literally nothing to fix, all you need is to bring it up to date and smooth things out.

scytheavatar

Scholar
View that Gothics 1 or 2 has bad combat is some strange myth. When you look at the games released around that time you can easily notice gothic actually has a combat with good balanace between gameplay skill and stats. People claim it's wooden, but I'd rather have this combat with some mechanical depth rather than spam-clicking modern combat. There is quite literally nothing to fix, all you need is to bring it up to date and smooth things out.

Action games by itself is a lot of work, having the exact same combat but with better animation is already not a trivial task. You are underestimating how much way it will take to "smooth things out".

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron

Action games by itself is a lot of work, having the exact same combat but with better animation is already not a trivial task. You are underestimating how much way it will take to "smooth things out".
It doesn't even need better animations. One of the great things about the combat in Gothic 1 is that the animations get better as your skill gets higher. It's already quality animation. If you don't like the combat then you just have shit taste.

Peachcurl

Cipher

It doesn't even need better animations. One of the great things about the combat in Gothic 1 is that the animations get better as your skill gets higher. It's already quality animation. If you don't like the combat then you just have shit taste.
He likely meant the technical / graphical quality of the animations... ?

notpl

Arbiter

He likely meant the technical / graphical quality of the animations... ?
The fact that they're all recorded at ~20 fps is a bit of an eyesore, for example. A proud tradition Piranha Bytes has upheld even as recently as Elex 2!

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
If it were up to me I would just rip off Risen 1's combat for the remake and maybe improve it a little. They will probably go with some really shitty homebrew or awful soulslike combat.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
He likely never leveled up his combat stats, so he thinks the combat needs "fixing".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom