Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic remake from THQ Nordic

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
https://www.dualshockers.com/gothic-remake-nothing-like-2019-teaser/

The Playable Teaser was intended as a proof of concept and purposely deviated from the core identity of Gothic. The team wanted to gather strong reactions and feedback from players to shape the remake.

insert "I Was Only Pretending To Be Retarded" meme

edit: the dev interview is here

“We intentionally went in a direction we knew like ‘OK, we don't think they will like this,’” Pollice begins. “But I think you cannot go on something where you are like ‘yeah, maybe that's OK,’ because then you don't get a strong reaction and for us it really worked out because we got a strong sentiment about what people liked about the original.”

I suggested that it was a bold strategy, to present something to a passionate, long-suffering that they felt wouldn’t be well received by said community, especially in times when people tend to make swift judgements and take what they play at face value. “I agree, and at times I was doubting that this would give us a good result, I was afraid that people would take only the negatives and say ‘Oh, they don’t know what they’re doing,’” admits Pollice. “So one of our core missions was to tell people that what we’re doing now has nothing really to do with the teaser, this really is a complete reboot.” With the Teaser continuing to get mixed reviews on Steam to this day, with players clearly concerned with the direction, it seems that not everyone’s got the message yet.
:troll:

Last edited:

Tyrr

Liturgist
"We intentionally went in a direction we knew like ‘OK, we don't think they will like this,"

LOL who the fuck would do this on purpose.
UX5QPs4.jpg

subverting expectations

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
"We intentionally went in a direction we knew like ‘OK, we don't think they will like this,"
Wait there's more

But I think you cannot go on something where you are like ‘yeah, maybe that's OK,’ because then you don't get a strong reaction. For us, it really worked out because we got a strong sentiment about what people liked about the original.
Is this dude borderline non-functional retarded? He sounds like he's not mentally fit enough to wipe his own ass.

This is gonna be a fucking disaster.

REhorror

Educated
The new style already looks kinda shit.

Instead of this hi res graphics shit, they should make more games in the blocky Gothic 2 engine.

thesecret1

Arcane
But I think you cannot go on something where you are like ‘yeah, maybe that's OK,’ because then you don't get a strong reaction. For us, it really worked out because we got a strong sentiment about what people liked about the original.
Wait, so the goal was to make something people will dislike, so as to get a strong reaction from them. That sounds like the textbook definition of trolling. Are the devs of this shitpile just trolling us? Is the remake just one high-effort shitpost?

MerchantKing

Learned
Where's the gameplay btw? The only video with gameplay is from the demo three years ago. It's been three years. There should be some new gameplay videos by now.

Where's the gameplay btw? The only video with gameplay is from the demo three years ago. It's been three years. There should be some new gameplay videos by now.
The demo was so heavily panned that I have a feeling they went back to the drawing board.
They claim that's exactly what they did and that their new combat system is a lot closer to the original.

Still, the fact that they are not showing any of it three years into development isnìt exactly signal-boosting confidence on their side.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Some dude (among others) from a german video game website got invited to see behind closed doors gameplay a few months ago and according to him it was a dev walkthrough with the guy from this trailer. It's supposed to be pre swap camp Nyras and he theorized that it will eventually become a public demo for the game, since it has unique and introductory content centered around Nyras.
For what it's worth, demo impressions were generally positive and the remake seems to stay close to the original and doesn't resemble the playable teaser at all anymore.

REhorror

Educated
Still, the fact that they are not showing any of it three years into development isnìt exactly signal-boosting confidence on their side.
Modern A/AA/AAA game developers takes 5-8 years to make a game and most don't reveal too early for this very reason^
Remember when a game only took 3 years to make? Those were better times.
Outsourcing and offshore communication takes more time.
Yes, it's sad.

thesecret1

Arcane
The demo was so heavily panned that I have a feeling they went back to the drawing board.
They claim that's exactly what they did and that their new combat system is a lot closer to the original.

I think the fact they shat the bed with the demo shows they have no idea what they're doing. They aren't supposed to break new ground, they're supposed to make a remake. And so far all they've shown is they have no idea what made Gothic good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom