Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Heavy armor not worth it?

Norfleet

I added another shotgunman to my group, it makes the short-range crossfire brutal. The AI loves to run straight into the center of the formation, and when I have 12 AP from simply standing there on the first turn to let the AI close, I can fire a double-volley from my custom shotgunman and a single from the recruitable. 4 300-HP goons converted instantly into chunky salsa.

Norfleet

Reading this thread, sounds like this game is shit
Omnia merdae sunt: Everything is shit. It's just a question of how much more shit everything else is. It's shit, but it's less shit and more-existing than the alternatives.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reading this thread, sounds like this game is shit

I wouldn't go that far. It just has some questionable design choices in places.

Whether these end up getting fixed by modders or inXile I have no idea.

Black

Arcane
Yeah, bring AZ robots to Cali, slicerdicers are way more fun to fight than dugan's workerbots. And discobots are rad.

And about armour, I didn't even use heavy armor. Anything that had -combat speed had to go. Also, armour is fucking heavy and there's already a fuckton of things to carry and my party was encumbered 24/7 in the late game.
Weapons, ammo, quest items (which often weigh a lot), RAD SUITS (HOLY SHIT) AND heavy armour? Nah. Besides, energy weapons would've torn me apart.
By the way, WL2 has to have the most underwhelming power armor in all of video games :M

Shadenuat

Arcane
On Supreme Jerk you just get 1-2 shotted so only thing what matters is dodge/cover/Han solo shot first, so screw armor.

Norfleet

We're looking at balancing more late-game encounters to have more mixed enemy and weapon types, that should prevent the armor-switching stuff. Of course, general balance passes and tweaking in LA especially are also on the agenda.
I think the issue is that HP bloat, mitigated by damage creep, quickly overcomes threshold increase armor. When you've got 30 hitpoints, taking 4 damage off every attack is great and makes a huge boost to your survivability. When you have 300 hitpoints, taking even 10 damage off every attack does fuck all, because the comparable level of armor required to be equivalent would be 40, and a 10 damage armor at 300 HP is the equivalent of about 0.1 armor. So, by later game, it is pretty much useless, and will actually start to harm your survivability once energy weapons come out.

And it's taking up carry weight I need to haul my LOOT.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
It was worth for my energy weapons character to wear power armor, as she didn't do much in most of the fights as even in LA you rarely encounter high-armoured opponents.
And when she actually did contribute to combat, she could just stand still and shoot with her long range lasers etc.

However, this does not necessarily apply to snipers as enemy AI tends to rush your sniper to block their shot and you have to move away/kite as a result.

Power armor is pretty bad on melee characters as well, I was pretty happy when i got the pseudo-chitin armor as a reward for killing my first scorpitron. It is the best armor piece in the game albeit usable only by high-str characters.

Last edited:

TedNugent

Arcane
I put heavy armor on Ralphy to give him negative combat speed so that he can't go rogue and run into combat and get himself killed.

It's like putting cement shoes on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom