Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye Help with Drakensang: The River of Time

V_K

Arcane
Forget? I don't even know what you're talking about, lol. What's a modifier? I was just going by what the spell says on it's description...
Some spells can have increased power (it's written in their descriptions, by the way). These have a small + button uner their icons in the quick bar. Press it to increase modifier and thus power of spell. As a general rule it pays to cast them with the maximum modifier availible at the moment (unless you want to conserve AP, but there's little reason to, it regenerates quite fast).

Turjan

Arcane
I basically had one char just running away in front of the statue, always just outside of range. The arrows whittled it down.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Some spells can have increased power (it's written in their descriptions, by the way). These have a small + button uner their icons in the quick bar. As a general rule it pays to cast them with the maximum modifier availible at the moment.

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl.

p.s., love the n00b mocking when the n00b gets all the way to half-way through the last end-boss with a sub-par party and no knowledge of the key ability cheeses, and, well, pretty much plays it as a n00b LOL.

Turjan

Arcane
dont know ive never played this game; but i do know any kind of modifier is kind of important
The game is a bit intimidating for people who never saw any TDE game. It's quite a bit more complicated than D&D. The Drakensang system is cut down to about one fifth, compared to the Realms of Arkania games, but the character sheet is still many pages long. Also, the English manual leaves out many important aspects, so you have to find out many things by yourself.

Turjan

Arcane
Well... they haven't been needed up to now!
The game lets you stack potions and sharpen weapons when paused. Not very realistic, but if there's no other way, just do it. At least the latter, given you don't have potions.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
sounds great; looking forward to getting this game whenever i get the $$
I think they are out of business anyway, or they are making Facebook games, obtain it right away. (There is no way how your pity money could give us third episode.)

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
sharpen weapons

Sharpen Weapons?

sounds great; looking forward to getting this game whenever i get the $$

It's probably the best NWN clone made since NWN (that I've played anyway) and that includes NWN2 OC. Well worth $20, but not as good as it could have been - it even does the DA2 thing where they ran out of money/time and based an entire dungeon on reused sets. You have to walk for forever, killing the same two monsters over and over and over and over again. The end-boss is quite fun though. Many of the areas feel quite spartan and there seems to be way too much going on NPC-wise than the content provides. Companions are cool and there's some banter but it's very rarely voice-acted and often appears as quickly-vanishing small text above their heads. The NPCs also use this small-texting as you walk around, and it can be frustrating battling with the camera to get it into view, plus sometimes it's plot-crucial, most of the time it's fluff, but you never know which is which.

I'll do a full opinionated pros-cons from my perspective when I finish it properly. You could do a lot worse than this game though if the NWN-kinda vibe is your thing. (yes, it's quite a boring general story as well and you're not even involved in the story, the only reason you're there is because there'd be no game if you weren't, it doesn't even push a mercenary angle).

Turjan

Arcane
It stays for 10 hits.

EBB4504EFC1ACF37D94C66DB11F8DEFEC2221D48

The improved version is three times as effective.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Yeah, I think I have a Diamond Whetstone tucked away somewhere! Lol. I have about 300 Ducets worth of crafting stuff I left on the boat as well... lol. This game really loves it's crafting doesn't it! I must admit, I'd have preferred more focused crafting and better loot, but, meh, I guess that's the whole thing with Dark Eye...? My only PC weapon upgrade all game was a recipe-craft, but I was playing a Charisma character so I died in melee combat whatever I carried, lol.

I liked that spellcasters couldn't wear metal, and that there was no Area of Effect spells but I didn't like the fact that I had so little Mana (Astral Energy) and that there was no spell to give temporary armour for the initial enemy bombardment while you perform some, even if minor, crowd control. Like when swarmed with Crabs or Wolves.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Magic armor? Fireball? All that various spells. Also great herbalism and item crafting that didn't feel OP, but was only way how to get cheaply high end weapons.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Magic armor? Fireball? All that various spells. Also great herbalism and item crafting that didn't feel OP, but was only way how to get cheaply high end weapons.

I didn't notice a Magic Armour spell anywhere, lol. And yes, I was checking, I had two spell caster while Ado was being ill, lol. Who has that one? Fireball? You mean that thing that shoots in a straight line for lots of 1 damages? Lol, ok ok ok I get it, you have to modify it... lol. And dude, I simply wouldn't use the term "great" in association with words Herbalism and Item Crafting, I just never got there I'm afraid, to me it's just busy work where game should be...

Turjan

Arcane
Well, you can increase your Astral Energy directly. Here, at 42 points, it costs 30 leveling points.

EA8A5D674F9A3A659B150624E7CCC29E49CDE2B7

Also, there are several items that increase your AE:

7108A5E84E860541618FDA1EAFFC756A45BB3572

Last edited:

Turjan

Arcane
This robe is also not bad. Helps with those pesky attackers:

CB06D345D620A42E87F0D74DBEA5F4424E84349F

Also, I hope you already had this spell:

D5508A0B75EDF1D31D834D510D8149E93603D494

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I'll take the opportunity to ask: What about The Dark Eye Drakensang? It's good? I have the chance to play it, cheap and secondhand.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can someone post a good build I can use? I want to play the game but my first attempt at rolling a mage was abruptly ended 7 hours in as I could not beat an encounter that I can't remember now. I tried everything I could think of that did not involve cheating and nothing helped.

Turjan

Arcane
I'll take the opportunity to ask: What about The Dark Eye Drakensang? It's good? I have the chance to play it, cheap and secondhand.
It's - tedious. The game is full of trash mobs and sports a few questionable design decisions. However, if you really want to try it, note that there are solutions for the slow walking speed and the lengthy looting/skinning animations. I think I was half an hour into the game when I went to the forums to look for a solution to that. It took a bit of SQLite database hacking, but that was easy even for a relatively computer illiterate like me.

Much of the game is pretty okay. The end is an endless slog through hordes of opponents up a mountain. So it ends on a low point unfortunately. It isn't completely bad though. Funny snippet: The intro movie looks like the one of Skyrim. Keep in mind this game is older.

If you don't like this one, you still may like the second one. The worst problems had been solved by then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom