Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How do you run BG1 on Win XP

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I realized I need BG2 to use BGTutu, so that options is temporarily unavailable (Lent the CDs to a friend), when I tried running BG1 after patching with Bioware files..I get run errors. Anyone can shed any light on this?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
What errors are those exactly and when do you get them? There is a Baldurdash bugfixing patch but it's probably not going to help you, try it anyway.

Moradil

Novice
I recommend you to re-install BG. The game should run normally on WinXP. Make sure you have SP2 installed, too.

MetalCraze

Arcane
here's how I've installed it on my WinXP SP2

the installer was crying that there's not enough space so I just set a compatibility mode for it - and installation went smoothly from that point. Then I did the same thing for TotSC - after it's installation I've applied the last bioware patch as always and ran the game. It worked fine and I've completed it without any compatibility issues.

btw were you doing a full install of the game?

Radisshu

Prophet
Well, it worked without any problems whatsoever for me, but I'm using Vista. I suggest trying compatibility mode though.

RK47

Patron
hmmm yeah it works...but it has minor glitches like black squares when an eagle fly over and butterflies etc.

quite annoying really but it's such a nostalgic game haha
rambo01.jpg

After surviving an ambush from a huge armoured man, Rambo managed to gain the aid of his childhood friend, Imoen. Being a thief makes her useful for the lockpicking and traps.

Following the road to Friendly arm inn, he decided to recruit Xzar and Montaron, 2 oddballs who are keen to head to Nashkel, but agreed to check out F.A Inn first.

The two helped me survive an ambush from a mage at the inn. He didn't last long from the amount of bolts and spells thrown at his face.

The inn was quite lively and I managed to enlist the aid of Gorion's friends, a husband and wife team, Khalid & Jaheira. Khalid's a solid fighter, Jaheira will serve well as the leader of the party. Or so I thought.

Day 3 hour 23
After a long exhausting trip to Beregost, our party decided to stop by an inn to rest up. A dwarven fighter wanted to claim the bounty on Rambo. No problem I thought. Till he killed Jaheira in two blows shocking Khalid. The husband nearly joined his wife before a hail of arrows and bolts took care of the assassin.
rambo02.jpg

Time to find a new leader. :(

MetalCraze

Arcane
hmmm I've never had those black squares...
what videocard do you use?
really try disabling hardware acceleration.

and what's with Rambo having 12 Int? it should be no higher than 8 for him.

Murk

Arcane
thesheeep said:
Bow and Missile Weapons? ...lol :)

low level? I agree.

high level? Kivan + strong second archer (coran? Sure, why not) = everyone dies before they get near you.

now you know wtf I never did get? Why does Kivan - super archer elf ranger extroardinaire have SEVENTEEN FUCKING DEX INSTEAD OF NINETEEN LIKE ANY RATIONAL MIND WOULD PERMIT?

I have no idea, I guess it was a troll/joke or something.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You don't get it. I said lol, because Bow & Missile Weapons are so fitting to Rambo :)

I once used Missile Weapons myself (playing as a Bard). Its nice, but a pain to carry those amounts of darts with you. Would've really been nice to be able to get some back from corpses.

RK47

Patron
think it was nvidia6800 GT....
I'm definitely gonna try to get BG2 installed and convert it with tutu this coming weekend.

My eyes hurt a bit . my party got mauled east of Bereghost by a pack of direwolves and vampire wolf who can 'hold person' >_<

I'll post pics later tonight.

afewhours

Scholar
Mikayel said:
now you know wtf I never did get? Why does Kivan - super archer elf ranger extroardinaire have SEVENTEEN FUCKING DEX INSTEAD OF NINETEEN LIKE ANY RATIONAL MIND WOULD PERMIT?

I've been trying to fathom the reasoning behind the Kivan worship. Like, he's a good archer and all, but not *that* good. Though, if he's popular because he sounds pissed off all the time, then I can get behind that. He's amusing to have around.

'tis just that Coran and Shar-Teel make better archers, and Khalid's about the same if you spec him to Bow. (He's a better tank, but does less melee damage. Archery wise, they're equal.)

I think a more amusing question is "why does the super archer elf ranger guy get strength 18/12?"

Murk

Arcane
afewhours said:
Mikayel said:

I've been trying to fathom the reasoning behind the Kivan worship. Like, he's a good archer and all, but not *that* good. Though, if he's popular because he sounds pissed off all the time, then I can get behind that. He's amusing to have around.

'tis just that Coran and Shar-Teel make better archers, and Khalid's about the same if you spec him to Bow. (He's a better tank, but does less melee damage. Archery wise, they're equal.)

I think a more amusing question is "why does the super archer elf ranger guy get strength 18/12?"

I usually had him in my party 'cuz he's easy to get, I hate Khalid, and I'd use Coran too. Also, by the time I'd get near Shar-Teel I'd have a party i was happy with.

his 18 str kinda makes sense, sorta... I think. That is, I can rationalize it but I can't actually explain it.

he has 18 str so he's in the higher areas but its at /12 so he's not encouraged to be melee ala Minsc. I think they wanted less psychos with two handed weapons?

Coran is total h4x and I like to use him, he's more fun. Kivan's a bit of a bitch but I'd like to hear him and Viconia argue. Although with my latest fetish I just go solo with it all. I usually use the tutu mod and with throne of bhaal I think the level cap is set to 40 even in BG 1/TotSC, so I get to like, level 25 fighter in BG1/tales and switch over to a cleric when BG 2 kicks in (losing all my swanky shit, god that always bit like ass) and with the nifty irenicus-b-gone mod I get to jump up to level 8 or so easily and the game resumes as it should with me as a decent cleric, soon to be pumped to a dual hammer wielding machine of anal annihilation.

sometimes i"ll go theif/mage (or sorc, as theif skills compensate for true vision, knock, and that all that jazz).

it's just now fair how bad the poor enemies get fire engulfed blades up their sphincters.

@theSheep

Sorry, that flew over my head, I didn't qutie catch on haha. I always liked the higher stack random h4xornationz out there that'll let you put like 200 darts in one stack, but I never used darts so u r teh geiyz.

Composite long bow was too crazy strong to pass up - and in BG2 you'd find some retarded returning throwing hammer or axe that brought all manner of heinous rape to everyone so i'd always skip over darts or throwing knives, although there was a pretty swet 2d4 + blah blah boomerang knife in BG2.

RK47

Patron
any downside in taking fighter/thief ?
or should i convert rambo to dual class rangers?
2nd Ed rules seems a bit odd to me.

Murk

Arcane
RK47 said:
any downside in taking fighter/thief ?
or should i convert rambo to dual class rangers?

fighter ranger makes little sense - and I don't think you can even dual that? or can you? I don't remember. But it's pointless since ranger = fighter with less weapon proficiency, meh spells at later level and some minor animal charming stuff.

I doubt you'll be going stealth much with it as well.

fighter/thief makes more sense but only if you need a thief. If you get coran and imoen and actually use them both you're set. Imoen is a perfect theif (with high int for that wacky dual classing extravaganza).

based off your stats I guess you might as well go thief if you're going to be playing an archer anyway? your thac0 hti won't be so bad and you probably don't need to worry about hp as much if you use minsc or keep at least 3 semi-capable of meleeists.

I think fighter or ranger dualed to cleric & thief dualed to mage make more sense, more of their abilities are "in tune".

a ranger and cleric dual or multie class gets access to a lot of spells from both druid and cleric schools - so they're more versatile (seriously, ranger/cleric with iron skins in BG2 = doom to all non-casters).

also - is this your first time through the game?

afewhours

Scholar
RK47 said:

Understatement of the year: though I still love AD&D like I love an old, retarded uncle.

I recommend you keep Rambo pure Fighter and let Immy and Coran pick up the thief slack - I'll also second the suggestion that you dual class Immy to a mage. (I normally do it at Lv. 6)

Just make sure you get at least one high CON/high DEX fighter type to act as a tank. You can get Khalid and Jaheira straight off the bat, and they can take loads of damage, so you should be set.

RK47

Patron
I replaced Jaheira with Kagain...but uh..see what happens here.
rambo06.jpg

Shit, these wolves with Hold are tough. They steamrolled through every one with their holds. Tried concentrating fire, but no good. Rambo team gets whacked hard and I didn't realize ranged weapons may break, Imoen here just suicided for no reason. I thought she ran out of arrows but her shortbow broke. As well as Montaron's.
rambo09.jpg

Is it possible to sneak attack with a bow?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
No, of course not. It's not sneak attack, it's backstab - exactly what it sounds like: you need to stab, and from the back up close. I am sad they overpowered rogues in D&D 3.0+.

Oh, and multiclasses: in AD&D 2.0 rules I'd always uses a 2 multiclass. 3 levels too slow, but 2 seems to be only 1, 2 level behind from a pure due to the XP progression, so they're great. (That said, I have a huge boner for keeping everyone "pure", so I avoid multiclasses, even though they're better). Fighter/Thief is an excellent choice, though Fighter/Mage is way more fun. And Cleric/Mage is just ridiculous, if you can put up with needing the ability to handle a fuckton of spells with the retarded spell select interface.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
there is a patch somewhere (check pocket plane) that prevents the totally annoying breaking of weapons.

RK47 said:
I
rambo09.jpg

Is it possible to sneak attack with a bow?

Is it possible to fix those visual glitches? I set up the game once more myself. Didn't experience any of those with my old computers (read: the old video cards and corresponding drivers respectively). At least after fiddling around with the in-game video options. No luck this time though. No idea if I've got the time to spare for another run, really, most of my gaming time is eaten up by Football Manager 08 these days. That's genuine time spent role-playing a - guess what- football manager, lads! Still, I thought I'd pop just right in and ask. ;)

the installer was crying that there's not enough space so I just set a compatibility mode for it - and installation went smoothly from that point.

I've never had any problems setting the game up under WinXP SP2 at all. Admittedly, I've been running off some kind of multi-language DVD version included in a Black Isle/Bioware compilation of sorts, since after borrowing my original box to someone yeeaaars ago I never got it back. :?

RK47

Patron
Oh well I decided that some encounters are just too tough without a souped up mage. So I avoided those killer wolves. After hitting Bereghost though, I encounter an annoying problem: I was picking some boxes in a house when NPC spotted me. Guards were on top of me. I decided to pick one of them off. Boom. -5 Rep. I thought, no big deal. Grabbed the plate armour and ran away before we could finish off the last guard and what's left of our rep.

I travelled to Nashkel and immediately the Amnish Soldiers went red on me. Wtf? Rambo was not to be outdone though, luckily there's a carnival next door where he can shop and rest. Trip to the mine to clear stuff using hit and run tactics (boots of stealth + imoen bow shot lure = win), that's when Khalid bit the dust again. Pathetic. Or maybe it's because I forgot to buy a helmet for him like his wife.

The boss spawned skeletons and kobolds behind us. (cheap boss tricks grr) Khalid was tanking fine with potion of heroism buff till the cleric landed a lucky Hold person that did him in. Kagain was held too, but didn't get hit cause our archers went to work quickly.

Ah well rest in peace. Xan seemed like a crappy mage. I might pick up Edwin..but where the fuck is he anyway? I snuck into Nashkel and collected my reward but only spotted Minsc in town. I think I might pick up Xzar and Monty again.

Current roster:
Kagain: Awesome tank and regens HP, so no fear of low hp when interrupted while resting (full hp refill every long journey too!)
Branwen: 16 wis for cleric is a little low, but I take what I can get for now. At least she can wear heavy armour.
Xan: Piece of crap.
Rambo: Ranged fighter.
Imoen: I'm keeping her for lockpicks and traps. And town talker (16 Cha)
Kivan: Solid shooter. Gave him a magic bastard sword for close range backup.

Oh yeah gold aint so hard either. There was this easy quest at beregost that gave me 5,000 gold (wtf?) I never recalled getting this much gold before. It basically removed any financial difficulty from the start (heal pots for everyone :D )

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
16 WIS is hardly low, it's actually epic for a human and well above average. Stupid min-maxers... hmph. But hey, it's a game! I can't say I didn't roll stats myself until I had everything at 16 [!].

Edwin should be in Nashkel. On the road you find Minsc on, there should soon be a sort of T where you can go either north or south, coming from the west. He's there near a bridge, a tad south. Unless the hostile guards messed him up, but that'd be rare.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom