Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How do you run BG1 on Win XP

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
afewhours said:
As the whole point of the exercise was crazy all-encompassing epic fantasyness, I could forgive a lot of hyperactivity.

Exactly.
If you don't like what a game is about, well.. shit happens. But don't walk around claiming the game to be shit just cause you don't like what it tries to deliver ;)

Murk

Arcane
The bandit camp has some crazy awesome loot, and a really good warhammer if I remember correctly.

Did you just attack it or sneak in by posing as recruits?

While game-breaking I always tried my best to kill Tazok in that camp, in part for his bracers.

Murk

Arcane
Shit RK, now you got me doing this...

Heilz Mikayel, the incognito frontman of Immortal out to do some non-specific adventuring, and his adventures in the High Hedge.

meee.jpg

I had come across a in some barren lands to the south west, when it began to approach me and ask for help! A quick briefing on the logistics of chickens and the possibility of it not actually being a chicken later we were en route to the transformed man's former mentor's abode for arcane assistance.

Unfortunately we failed :(

chickenn.jpg

It was then, that quite distraught, I figured I should go kill stuff. After running around the high-hedge stricken with arachnaphobia from the giant spiders chasing me, I managed to fend them off and run into the shadows. I made my way to the north west whre I came across a peculiar sight - 5 skeletons standing about, fully equipped, and in formation.

What was this? A former party of adventurers not quite realizing they were dead, and still carrying on? A necromancer's joke? Such mysteries...

rpgggg.jpg

Murk

Arcane
ghostdog said:
Akso, be sure to kill that faggot Drizzt when you see him...

That goddamn encounter never made sense to me other than "HAHAH WE HAVE THE LICENSING RIGHT WE CAN DO IT".

what did kill me? the fag gets dual wielding. No one else does, but that bitch does.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
hahah yeah I picked up Yeslick in the mines. I ditched Immy too for Coran. These two are really solid multiclasser, something humans dont' really have access to.

Yeslik 52 HP vs Branwen 32 made it easy for me to pick him over her. 16 wis for both, so no reason to take branwen, if anything taking branwen gives me a whopping 14 cha...big whoop.

Murk

Arcane
I hate dwarves, halflings, gnomes, and elves.

I'm very racist :(

Half-orcs I <3 though.

The human dual class can yield a much more powerful character in the long run, but is very disjointed in its growth, especially since you're doing the whole start from level 1 deal.

RK47

Patron
Anyone know where to buy Summon Creatures scrolls. Goddamn Edwin can cast lvl 3 spells now but no conjuration spells except for Flame Arrows.

Cleric Raise skeletons is awesome to absorb the spells. Abused it to the max. :P

I never succeeded in Melicamp's quest is that even possible to return him to human form? I recall a guide told me I should find a more special skull from a dungeon or something

Murk

Arcane
It's a random one I think? I can't remember if it depends on a stat, your rep, level or something. I have had it succeed and he sticks around to learn more from Thalantyr. And I used a regular skull from a skeleton outside.

No major reward btw.

Spells you'll find most in Baldur's Gate, I can't remember if Thalantyr has any decent summoning spells. Incidentally, if you were playing with TUTU you could select spells at level up a la 3.0/3.5.

RK47

Patron
Well fuck, Daveorn is no slouch. Packs a lot of nifty spells to fuck up my front liner and his 2 Horrors made a mincemeat out of my skellies. I managed to exhaust his spells. And that made things easy. I had to drag the two dead bodies out of the dungeon now. While carrying their heavy armour. Grrr.

I decided to explore a bit before heading to Baldur's Gate. I stumbled upon Firewine. What a terrible dungeon. Not in a smart way mind you, small corridors...respawning kobold commandos. And bouncing lightning bolt traps that obliterate half of my party when triggered. This dungeon just shows the weakness of Infinity Engine imo. I decided to steamroll the dungeon after Edwin died to a bouncing bolt trap by summoning mass skeletons with a stealthed Coran accompanying them to snipe off the distracted kobolds. Can't even be bothered to pick up all that kobold litters on the floor.

Murk

Arcane
Firewine is useful only if you want to go in, drop a fireball, and loot like 400000000 fire arrows off the kobolds - otherwise it's not worth it and you can finish the "quest" for it by simply...

SPPOOIILLEERRRR

investigating the halfling huts in Gullykin, one of them has a "funny smelling basement"

SSSPPPPIILZZLZIOIRZ

That dungeon, along with a decent chunk of Ulcaster's school, was complete horse-crap.

The IF is way too unbalanced against a dungeon crawl of that nature - though I remember similar instances in Nox being quite fun.

RK47

Patron
...Well I made it to Baldur's Gate.
It's massive as I remembered it. But there's one thing that always annoys me. For a city this massive there's a lack of street name or direction givers. I'm spent around an hour running into dead ends , why even give zone change when it leads to nowhere. Boggles the mind lol.

And I love it when people make appointments in a tavern but never told me which district or directions to get there.
Really pales in comparison to Arcanum's Tarant.

Murk

Arcane
The City's a heinous mess, no doubt of it. It's also made in a retarded manner that the wall that goes through the actual city can fuck you over if you don't go to the block from the right "side", particularly when doing a few of the thieves' guild quests there.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
When I decided to replay BG1 I just lost interest when I reached the city. The city in BG2 is pretty well made though.

RK47

Patron
Yeah I wanted to just charge in to Iron Throne on my next play through after I get my 10 days poison of death over with.

afewhours

Scholar
Mikayel said:
The City's a heinous mess, no doubt of it. It's also made in a retarded manner that the wall that goes through the actual city can fuck you over if you don't go to the block from the right "side", particularly when doing a few of the thieves' guild quests there.

I had plenty of fun in the city, even if it was a bit labyrinthine. It was nice and content heavy, with lots of little inconsequential side quests. (I mean that in a good way.) Hmmm. Hey, RK47, are you playing with ToSC installed? You'll miss out on some great content otherwise.

Hillsfar was still cooler though. I got to hang out in pubs and get thrown out for climbing the rafters and performing magic tricks.

Edit: You ditched Immy, RK47? Noooooooooooo!

Edit, Edit: Am I the only person who thought the Drizzt encounter was a good laugh? Okay, it had no real bearing on aything, but it was funny trying to kill him, and I like his silly, high-flown, chaotic-good drow babble. I know most of the Drizzt books are formless pulp with laboured prose, but I'm quite fond of Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn. That trilogy actually had some kind of... point. They had a narrative arc past "I MUST WRITE 5,000 WORDS A DAY ABOUT DRIZZT TO PAY OFF MY MORTGAGE."

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Drizzt is like the most annoying fantasy character ever made and yes I really liked killing him too.

RK47

Patron
I am playing with that on but most of the encounters involve having a lot of dispel magics or tough cheese. Ulgoth's beard for example had a mage sending my party to a dungeon which first encounter involve fighting off another party. I kinda hate this spellcasting encounters. Any interesting ones you can recommend?

Murk

Arcane
afewhours said:
Edit, Edit: Am I the only person who thought the Drizzt encounter was a good laugh? Okay, it had no real bearing on aything, but it was funny trying to kill him, and I like his silly, high-flown, chaotic-good drow babble. I know most of the Drizzt books are formless pulp with laboured prose, but I'm quite fond of Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn. That trilogy actually had some kind of... point. They had a narrative arc past "I MUST WRITE 5,000 WORDS A DAY ABOUT DRIZZT TO PAY OFF MY MORTGAGE."

I read the three as well and actually enjoyed them - I don't think I'll read anymore as I'm pretty content with where it went and I don't want to fuck a dead horse, so to say.

Incidentally every encounter with an ubermenschen character is awesome for one reason, the attempt to break the game and steal his shit then somehow dodge the fool-proof mechanism that just isn't so fool proof.

EDIT: I am having a great deal of fun just running around backstabbing people left and right, this solo thief (carrying the grief and weight of his dear foster sister's death on his conscience and her soul with him) is realllly fun. It does involve you reloading on the tough battles and even a pack of hobgoblins can be a threat but its fun fun fun.

afewhours

Scholar
Mikayel said:
I read the three as well and actually enjoyed them - I don't think I'll read anymore as I'm pretty content with where it went and I don't want to fuck a dead horse, so to say.

That's exactly what I'd recommend anyone to do. The original Icewind Dale trilogy is almost unreadable. Salvatore admirably stepped up his game for the Dark Elf Trilogy, and improved a lot. Shame everything after that was just fodder for the Drizzt fandom.

RK47 said:
I am playing with that on but most of the encounters involve having a lot of dispel magics or tough cheese. Ulgoth's beard for example had a mage sending my party to a dungeon which first encounter involve fighting off another party. I kinda hate this spellcasting encounters. Any interesting ones you can recommend?

Werewolf Island and Durlag's Tower are great fun.

Andhaira

Arcane
Its funny how he never shows up in the IWD games though, since that is SUPPOSED TO BE HIS HOME!!!

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How can he?
You killed him in BG2, or didn't you? ;)

btw... complaining about Drizzt in BG2 is like complaining about the Brahmin in Arcanum.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
"Complaining about something that is in BG 2 is like complaining about something else that isn't in Arcanum".

?

thesheep, please explain your comparison.

Murk

Arcane
There's a two-headed cow in Parnell's fakeatorium, isn't there?

Brahmin was a subtle reference to "hey remember that one game? THAT WAZ US GAIZ+S!!!1" not "and now everybody's favourite fucking drow, for no reason".

Incidentally, drizzt would have been funny if he appears in every bioware game evahhh.

You could make a minigame of finding and killing drizzt, and if you submit screenshots of your glorious victory they mail you a rabbit vibrator or something.

RK47

Patron
Drizzt ...wasnt 'born' yet during the timeline when IWD series take place according to one of the designer's explanation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom