Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How to incline the Codex in 4 easy steps

Hmmm...

• I support this!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ban spekkio!

• Let's leave the 'Dex as it is (KC)

• Total voters

racofer

Thread Incliner
Keep it up, guise. I'm having some good laughs from over here.

23tm32u.gif

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
1. New users get a 3 post limit.
2. The right to post more depends on approval/disapproval from veteran users. (at least 3 approves, and > 50% approve/disapprove ratio)
3. Voting interface - new users' posts are adorned with Yay/Nay buttons.
4. Up to 100 posts, new users are still 'on trial', and may have their posting privileges revoked by >50% disapproval. (this should hopefully prevent people from playing nice for 3 posts and then reverting to derp mode)

If too many retards still get through, or every newbie gets insta-KCed, ban everyone and close the site :P

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sitra Achara said:
1. New users get a 3 post limit.
2. The right to post more depends on approval/disapproval from veteran users. (at least 3 approves, and > 50% approve/disapprove ratio)
3. Voting interface - new users' posts are adorned with Yay/Nay buttons.
4. Up to 100 posts, new users are still 'on trial', and may have their posting privileges revoked by >50% disapproval. (this should hopefully prevent people from playing nice for 3 posts and then reverting to derp mode)

This is actually a pretty good idea, although it might need tweaking to prevent abuse.

spekkio

Arcane
MapMan said:
If a person gets banned, the users who invited him get banned as well.
Too harsh. 'I invited an idiot' tag and removal of inviting rights should be enough.

Ed said:
Who exactly are these "non-shitty oldfags"?
Everybody who isn't a shitty spamming and alt-regenerating troll (examples: Andy, Drog, Prosper). Hell - even Cloaked Figure is, as long as he sticks to one account (shitlist-ignore threads-problem solved).
My idea concerns mostly fags who are too retarded to give up and stop posting eventually. And that's like <10 faggots...

DF said:
Rather deal with the alt problem in existing userbase.
How exactly if they keep shitting new alts using proxies? With registrations closed, they would have to go back to already created backup alts, which would allow mods to identify and ban those as well.

WE said:
Too harsh, just close GD for newly registered (one year would be sufficient). Problem solved.
Spammers will start spamming outside GD - see Prosper.

WE said:
don't count posts outside the gaming/news forums.
They don't give a fuck about postcount. They want to be noticed. Like all of us, they want ATTENTION! The problem is, they're using the shittiest way of attention whoring available at 'Dex...

pipka said:
And who will decide which alt is shitty and which is not? Some weeboo? Some whiner? Some butthurt individual?
Mods. So, yeah - your description is spot on.

Zarniwoop said:
Point number 4 will ensure the slow demise of the Codex. No-one would ever join because Codexers aren't fans of new things for the most part, and as time marches on the aforementioned "non-shitty oldfags" will die of old age/leave the Codex forever due to irreconcilable butthurt/get a life and there will be no way to bring in new blood.
And this is wrong? That would be massive, ULTIMATE incline of the Codex.
But to be serious - you know your point is actually bullshit. People are and will be too interested in posting on non-moderated MB.

CF said:
BAAWW, we need new posters!
Yes. But we don't need new alts of 3-10 faggots (who are retarded oldfags - Andy registered long time ago) who are responsible for 90% of the Codex's shit.

DS said:
Stop being a pussy and actually do something useful.
You mean - mods should start banning people? And how it's gonna stop spammers from registering new alts, using proxies?
Or maybe idiots should stop answering to retarded 'Which is better and why' threads? :?

janjetina said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Make registering an account cost 10$. There, the problem of myriads of shitty alts is solved. Plus, the money can be used for better server/more RAM etc.
It wouldn't, or it would be replaced with a low user IQ problem, given that only an idiot would pay to post on an internet forum.
This. I think these guys are too retarded / disabled to bother with costs of their retardation.

SA said:
approval/disapproval
So you wan't me to read another Prosper657 retarded post and evaluate it? Why shoul anybody bother with this shit?

CF said:
So many Codexers want to make a restrictive registration system because they think they are so "elite" and "intelligent" and that they need to keep out the "idiots".
I don't care about easily avoidable attention-seeking young fat homosexuals like you. Faggots who keep creating new alts are different story.

CF said:
use an adblocker when visiting this site despite the several occasions DU has stated that this is one of the main problems with funding the site
Learn to read. People don't click ads even when they can see them.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wise Emperor said:
Too harsh, just close GD for newly registered (one year would be sufficient). Problem solved.
I thought the point of GD was to keep the shit out of the other forums.

Cloaked Figure said:
hypocritical Skyrim hysteria which is still going on in RPG discussion
It's evidently not quite working.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Cloaked Figure said:
when the fact of the matter is that half of the so called elite Codexers use an adblocker when visiting this site despite the several occasions DU has stated that this is one of the main problems with funding the site.
On the other hand, there are 5 patron posters in this very thread. And advertising companies don't pay for displaying their shitty ads. They pay per click.

Shitposter
spekkio said:
CF said:
BAAWW, we need new posters!
Yes. But we don't need new alts of 3-10 faggots (who are retarded oldfags - Andy registered long time ago) who are responsible for 90% of the Codex's shit.

So you want to burn down the forest just to get a few of the wolves. Not very clever bro.

CF said:
So many Codexers want to make a restrictive registration system because they think they are so "elite" and "intelligent" and that they need to keep out the "idiots".
I don't care about easily avoidable attention-seeking young fat homosexuals like you. Faggots who keep creating new alts are different story.

Again, you want to close registration for six months because 3 or so posters are making alts.

spekkio said:
1. Close registrations for 1/2 year (maybe a year, just to be sure that Prosper commits a suicide in the meantime)
2. Ban all spammers (fags who shit 2000 new topics every week and keep coming back with new alts when banned). Shitty posters and plain retards should be considered as possible targets as well.
3. Wait and check if the disease was purged (old unused alts)
4. Open registrations again, but make them invite only - every new candidate needs invites from TWO DIFFERENT non-shitty oldfags (the most fragile part of this concept) to be able to register. If both of them use the same IP - see point 2. Limit monthly / yearly number of invites per user (should bring the number of alts down).
5. ???
6. PROFIT! (prestigious magazine, server load reduced)

That's all.

Read this. But now read it again and pretend not to be a complete buffoon. You want to kill all traffic to an already underfunded site so you can stop a couple of alts who are not even annoying or causing any big problems. Shut up. Just ask a moderator to lock this stupid thread and scurry back to whatever board you post in.

spekkio

Arcane
CF said:
You want to kill all traffic to an already underfunded site so you can stop a couple of alts who are not even annoying or causing any big problems
Nice beginning but the rest makes it 2/5.

And why do you care for alts and new members so much, CF? Existing alts are shit and 99% of new posters are either alts or shit as well. Where's the problem?

New memebers = more traffic.

I thought that Codex has too much traffic already.

Or maybe you mean: new members = more people clicking on adds?

Could you explain why should this work?

tl;dr

Try one of gay dating sites if you want attention so much, thinking seems too hard for you...

:lol:

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
spekkio said:
Zarniwoop said:
Point number 4 will ensure the slow demise of the Codex. No-one would ever join because Codexers aren't fans of new things for the most part, and as time marches on the aforementioned "non-shitty oldfags" will die of old age/leave the Codex forever due to irreconcilable butthurt/get a life and there will be no way to bring in new blood.
And this is wrong? That would be massive, ULTIMATE incline of the Codex.
But to be serious - you know your point is actually bullshit. People are and will be too interested in posting on non-moderated MB.

Your invite system is largely impractical and effectively cuts off any possibility of new members, getting the required invites will be next to impossible!
Firstly, how would you even get in touch with a codexer to express interest in joining the community? There is IRC and the 'contact us' form, but I doubt the admins want to sift through all that shit. Plus the Codex isn't a place most of us would actively talk about in public either so I think we can rule out any interest being expressed there.
Secondly is the inviting process itself. On the off chance that someone does express interest, the onus is on you to identify whether they'll be a shit or quality poster. The system does not encourage recruiting, it discourages it, the penalty for inviting one shit poster is severe plus there's the fact that it's an inconvenience.
It basically means there would be no new shit posters, no new alts and no new quality posters.

Then there is the current member base, people will get bored, butthurted, banned or just move on and activity will decline as a result. This will continue in perpetuity until the Codex has been reduced to an insular circle jerk with Skyway, volourn and a few other choice posters bickering in a corner somewhere.

In short it's as Zarniwoop stated, your system if implemented (which it won't) will be the death of the Codex.
:rpgcodex:

spekkio

Arcane
I want to explain this:
Shitty posters and plain retards should be considered as possible targets as well.
Bad idea per se - who should judge which poster is shit and which isn't?

But - don't forget that banning the original account of an aspie (Andhaira, Prosper) led to this aspie goin on never-ending alt spree - "LOL, I'm not Drog, what are you talking about?"

It's better to abort them while they're still barely sane.

Shitposter
And why do you care for alts and new members so much, CF? Existing alts are shit and 99% of new posters are either alts or shit as well. Where's the problem?

The problem is how fucking lame and derpy your assumptions are. "99% of new posters are either alts or shit as well." I love how it's always the least remarkable posters spouting this idiocy. Tell me why the fuck YOU aren't a shitty poster and why you deserve to make judgments about a bunch of posters none of us has even met.

more derp

Derp derp derp

Try one of gay dating sites if you want attention so much, thinking seems too hard for you...

:lol:

You can :lol: at me all you want through your broken English and stupid arguments, Mr. Potato Head.

spekkio

Arcane
cuts off any possibility of new members, getting the required invites will be next to impossible!
That's the whole fucking point.
New intelligent lifeforms - you’re welcome.
New alts of old retarded lifeforms - fuck off.

:thumbsup:

Firstly, how would you even get in touch with a codexer to express interest in joining the community.
Possible solutions:

1.New 'Contact this fag' button, that will allow sending PMs to people who expressed their interest in receiving anonymous posts from internet. So you would be able to turn this off: "Allow PMs only from registered users".
This could lead to security problems / advertisement spam, so it's problematic.

2. Above, but only people who revealed their email in their profile would be possible inviters. You want new quality members - publish your email (and prepare for spam).

3. Word of mouth only.

Your sexy 16 year old female cousin loves Arcanum and wants to join? Why the hell not.
After all, why should I invite people who I don't personally know?

:smug:

Plus the Codex isn't a place most of us would actively talk about in public either so I think we can rule out any interest being expressed there
Maybe kicking out some retards could change this a bit?

The system does not encourage recruiting, it discourages it, the penalty for inviting one shit poster is severe
I only propose removing recruiting privileges if somebody fucks up. Tagging can only inrease lulz. Banning is too much.

It basically means there would be no new shit posters, no new alts and no new quality posters.
I can live with 1&2. As for 3 - if they're intelligent enough and behave, they will find a way in. But if they fuck up, we will at least know who was responsible for inviting them.

Then there is the current member base, people will get bored, butthurted, banned or just move on and activity will decline as a result.
Sorry to break it for you, but shitting new threads in GD is not 'activity'.

Creating 100th Skyrim thread can be understood. Posting 'BUMP' in the Playground as well.
But creating 'ZOMG it's totally not me this time!!!111!!' thread in GD isn't.

:rpgcodex:

It will be the death of the Codex [as we know it]

So far i.a. some Chefe alts and Cloaked Figure were against my idea.
I feel your fear, motherfuckers!

MvJPF.jpg

CF said:
Thank you for putting me in my place, with your crystal-clear reasoning and perfect use of English, mr Remarkable Poster.

And what do you mean by 'Potatohead'? :?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Cloaked Figure said:
I love how it's always the least remarkable posters spouting this idiocy. Tell me why the fuck YOU aren't a shitty poster

I hate to break it to you, dear black rural boy, but spekkio is a much more remarkable poster than you could ever hope to be. Then again, you only tend to shit-post in GD, so whaddya know.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
GD is the awesomest part of the Codex. The Strategic part is pretty redundant since we have actual wargame developers with their forums to discuss wargames on with fellow grognards and the RPG part is just another social subforum where we complain that there aren't cRPGs made for us any more. RPGD became pretty useless since EXPUNGED released EXPUNGED and since it turned out that Grimoire is an eternal joke and Thursday isn't coming any time soon.
Then we have General Gaming where we can complain about how FPS games aren't what they used to be.

Shitposter
Crooked Dick said:
Cloaked Figure said:
I love how it's always the least remarkable posters spouting this idiocy. Tell me why the fuck YOU aren't a shitty poster

I hate to break it to you, dear black rural boy, but spekkio is a much more remarkable poster than you could ever hope to be. Then again, you only tend to shit-post in GD, so whaddya know.

Spare me your judgments about my "shit-posting" in GD please. There's a reason why I stay away from the other forums these days and it's exactly because they have been submerged in undeserved elitist bullshit as can be seen from the OP in this thread. But go on thinking that you're somehow a "better poster" than anybody else here because of whatever time-sink you engage in such as a Wizardry LP.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Has prosper discovered the great potential of his university network for DDoS'ing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom