Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I finally understand how shitty the Codex is

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Accidentally logged off.

Can see 1eyedking threads again.

:what:

*logs in*

DraQ

Arcane
Sceptic said:
See, you were much better off having lore conversations with me :smug:
Need moar of my fix. :(

The difference is that 1eyedking isn't arguing about the importance of art direction. He's arguing about the importance of HIS definition of art, which if I recall does not necessarily overlap with yours (it fucking better not...). Remember "it's only art if it's made of Noble Materials"?
Well, any piece of fiction or documentary regarding 1ek and his views on art should therefore be titled "His Derp Materials".

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
Well, any piece of fiction or documentary regarding 1ek and his views on art should therefore be titled "His Derp Materials".
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Would make an awesome title for the next Jimbob comic.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
villain of the story said:
1eyedDerp going HerpDerp over a a semi-praising review of a shit game written by one former-content-provider-on-the-staff-turned-jaded-gamer-developer wrote and attributing that to be the general consensus in Codex.

:retarded:

But I guess you could say that the chosen one...

...must choose

:yeah:
"Second, the impressions and mini-reviews were mostly positive. From the 80+ page thread:

Trash: It's pretty much the best rpg in years.

Monocause: The game is simply the best done by Bioware since BG2 - compared to everything else, I'd say it's good. To those who can't decide whether to get it or not - do give it a try.
Look, when I downloaded the game I had very low expectations. I played a while expecting the idiotic shitfest to begin around the next corner. To my surprise I got good dialogue, likeable NPCs, combat that requires thinking, palatable graphics and a story that keeps me happily playing.

Arcanoix: VD, if I may, the game isn't as bad as you think. I'd say it's like a party-based Witcher with a hint of NWN2 graphics.

Killzig: Reading over my posts it sounds like I'm not enjoying the game. I'm actually liking the combat quite a bit, enough that I didn't mind at all replaying the mage origin story to see the different conclusions and enough that I will probably end up replaying that segment again a third time to get that staff...

Multi-headed Cow: It's fun. Still enjoying the hell out of this. Not sure how C&C will hold up since it's seeming KotOR/Mass Effect-esque in that each area is its own self contained chunk, but they're quite enjoyable chunks thus far.

Vibalist: Enjoying this game very much so far. There's too much combat for my tastes, but the combat system is still solid enough. I'm very delighted with the fact that they actually went ahead and made it hard. You can't just wade through enemies or lure single opponents away from their pack anymore. It actually takes tactics now, so thanks for that Bioware.

What I've experienced so far of dialogue, story, NPC's, side quests and so on are above the level I expected. People are right when they say this is the best game since Baldurs Gate 2.

fizzelopeguss: Just finished, game is pretty awesome.

Gay-Lussac: Oh yeah and I just pulled an all nighter playing this shit (to think I didn't go out with my friends to study and ended up on the PC all night Confused ). So yeah it's pretty damn fun, combat is the right amount of challenging (playing on nightmare) and everything else the people who actually played it already said.

I'd say that most people whose names I recognized liked the game."

Shannow

Waster of Time
From looking those quotes over only one had finished the game at the time of commenting. I can't speak for them but if I'd commented in the first third of the game I would have sounded very positive, too. Over time I could overlook shitty dialogue, samey gameplay/combat and stunted character development less and less. The story got derpier and herpier, too (really hated the last third). By the time I played Awakening I was in full :x mode.

And "the general consensus in Codex" is, as always, an evasive beast. Simply quoting a few posters doesn't really "prove" anything by itself... *shrug*

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Vault Dweller said:
villain of the story said:
1eyedDerp going HerpDerp over a a semi-praising review of a shit game written by one former-content-provider-on-the-staff-turned-jaded-gamer-developer wrote and attributing that to be the general consensus in Codex.

:retarded:

But I guess you could say that the chosen one...

...must choose

:yeah:
"Second, the impressions and mini-reviews were mostly positive. From the 80+ page thread:

Trash: It's pretty much the best rpg in years.

Monocause: The game is simply the best done by Bioware since BG2 - compared to everything else, I'd say it's good. To those who can't decide whether to get it or not - do give it a try.
Look, when I downloaded the game I had very low expectations. I played a while expecting the idiotic shitfest to begin around the next corner. To my surprise I got good dialogue, likeable NPCs, combat that requires thinking, palatable graphics and a story that keeps me happily playing.

Arcanoix: VD, if I may, the game isn't as bad as you think. I'd say it's like a party-based Witcher with a hint of NWN2 graphics.

Killzig: Reading over my posts it sounds like I'm not enjoying the game. I'm actually liking the combat quite a bit, enough that I didn't mind at all replaying the mage origin story to see the different conclusions and enough that I will probably end up replaying that segment again a third time to get that staff...

Multi-headed Cow: It's fun. Still enjoying the hell out of this. Not sure how C&C will hold up since it's seeming KotOR/Mass Effect-esque in that each area is its own self contained chunk, but they're quite enjoyable chunks thus far.

Vibalist: Enjoying this game very much so far. There's too much combat for my tastes, but the combat system is still solid enough. I'm very delighted with the fact that they actually went ahead and made it hard. You can't just wade through enemies or lure single opponents away from their pack anymore. It actually takes tactics now, so thanks for that Bioware.

What I've experienced so far of dialogue, story, NPC's, side quests and so on are above the level I expected. People are right when they say this is the best game since Baldurs Gate 2.

fizzelopeguss: Just finished, game is pretty awesome.

Gay-Lussac: Oh yeah and I just pulled an all nighter playing this shit (to think I didn't go out with my friends to study and ended up on the PC all night Confused ). So yeah it's pretty damn fun, combat is the right amount of challenging (playing on nightmare) and everything else the people who actually played it already said.

I'd say that most people whose names I recognized liked the game."

Oooo do me, do me!

Vault Dweller

Developer
Shannow said:
From looking those quotes over only one had finished the game at the time of commenting. I can't speak for them but if I'd commented in the first third of the game I would have sounded very positive, too. Over time I could overlook shitty dialogue, samey gameplay/combat and stunted character development less and less. The story got derpier and herpier, too (really hated the last third). By the time I played Awakening I was in full :x mode.

And "the general consensus in Codex" is, as always, an evasive beast. Simply quoting a few posters doesn't really "prove" anything by itself... *shrug*
Well, there was the poll that made it the Codex game of 2009. Anyway, I agree that there is no such thing as the general consensus on the Codex. My point was that the game was well received and it's the vocal "shit, shit, shit" minority that makes it seem otherwise.

I agree that the first third was much better than the last, but many games are like that. Not making any excuses, but stating the obvious. Bloodlines, Gothic, Arcanum, Risen, etc. Risen, for example, was received very favorably like the second coming of Jesus despite the fact that once you make The Choice, the game becomes a god-fucking-awful action RPG on rails. Same goes for Gothic though.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
DA had very good combat encounters but was killed by the derp roads and its repetitive nature. It also had some (semi) real c&c.

i still feel it is the best game from bioware since BG2 though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Vault Dweller said:
Well, there was the poll that made it the Codex game of 2009. Anyway, I agree that there is no such thing as the general consensus on the Codex. My point was that the game was well received and it's the vocal "shit, shit, shit" minority that makes it seem otherwise.
I'm not sure it's a minority. In the 2009 poll only 68 out of 169 posters voted for it and in this 2010 poll thread the response is overwhelmingly negative.

Also check out these flip-flops from the second thread:

Multi-headed Cow: When I first started playing it I would have said yes, but after going through it I'm not as wild about it. If they cut half the straight combat encounters I would like it more, but constantly grinding against battles that you know you're going to win unless you fall asleep at the keyboard just wasn't fun.

Vibalist: Not only is their writing mediocre, they also have absolutely no idea how to tie their npc's into the storyline properly.

I feel like I wanna say more on this subject, but fuck it, I can't be arsed. I also voted no, by the way, but that is more due to the terrible combat.
For me personally it's more the fact that the game is terribly boring and uninspired in every area. Forgettable npc's, dull story, shitty combat and unimaginative setting.

In fairness:
Gay-Lussac: I liked it. I got to play the character I wanted and it was well worth a playthrough.

I have to respect a guy who holds on to an unpopular opinion even in the face of... whatever we have here. :salute:

MetalCraze

Arcane
DragoFireheart said:
MetalCraze said:
Dragon Age is the best RPG to come out in fucking years

-This is what Skyway thinks.

No this is what Codex have thought before the next game labeled RPG came out.

Also check out these flip-flops from the second thread

Don't you know, dude. Group A says that the game is awesome and then Group B says that the game is shit and you think that the Codex had flip-floped!
(Isn't that right, Jimbob, buddy?)

If you'll dig deeper this is exactly the same shit that happened to Fallout 3... when DA:O came out :smug:

"Bethesda is improving!!"

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Really, I can only speak to my personal experience with DAO; I torrented it when it came out but didn't play it past the tower at ostagar (or whatever), then came back to it a few months later after finishing ME2 (which I actually liked), and basically forced myself to play through it thinking I might experience more of the charm that made ME2 fun.

As for opinions here, I only remember them being positive very early after the game's release. It seems like every time it was brought up since then the reaction has been fairly negative with a few "good for what it is" defenders.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DAO was pretty bad indeed. Good thing they improved with DA2 and made it such a great game.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Vault Dweller said:
Well, there was the poll that made it the Codex game of 2009.
I don't like that poll. It suggests something it doesn't prove. If the CIA kidnapped me and gave me the choice between waterboarding, electro shocks to the testicles or being skinned alive, I'd go for waterboarding. Doesn't make waterboarding good. IIRC, it didn't really have any competition. If DAO had had to compete with Risen, MotB and/or TW2 (all mainstream and not unanimously praised on the codex) I'm pretty sure results would still have been different.
My point was that the game was well received and it's the vocal "shit, shit, shit" minority that makes it seem otherwise.
Perhaps. It's difficult with the codex. Do you follow the most vocal opinion? Do you follow it early or later? Do you do a poll? What use is it if the majority of expressed opinions go contrary to the poll results?
And of course, opinions can shift, especially in games that seem to be innitially good but then get weaker.

I agree that the first third was much better than the last, but many games are like that. Not making any excuses, but stating the obvious. Bloodlines, Gothic, Arcanum, Risen, etc. Risen, for example, was received very favorably like the second coming of Jesus despite the fact that once you make The Choice, the game becomes a god-fucking-awful action RPG on rails. Same goes for Gothic though.
Yep. I disagree with "god-fucking-awful" but that's a disagreement of "scale", not of essence. I'd still like to point out that those games didn't have "awesome!" at release and "shit, shit, shit" after a while as the prominent opinions on the codex so DAO seems to be a more special case.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Shannow said:
I don't like that poll. It suggests something it doesn't prove. If the CIA kidnapped me and gave me the choice between waterboarding, electro shocks to the testicles or being skinned alive, I'd go for waterboarding. Doesn't make waterboarding good. IIRC, it didn't really have any competition. If DAO had had to compete with Risen, MotB and/or TW2 (all mainstream and not unanimously praised on the codex) I'm pretty sure results would still have been different.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=38358

Risen was released a month before Dragon Age and was on the list.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Risen? What's that? We on the Codex only play good non-mainstream RPGs not the dumbed down mainstream console shit like Risen.

This is what we fight!

Shannow stop being in denial. Have you forgotten same shit with Failout 3? Cretins were crying for years that Bethesda rapes the fuck out of Fallout by turning it into a shooter and then when Failout 3 came out fought Todd Howard until their purses were empty. And then fought Todd Howard some more with New Vegas which was no different.

I bet cretins will be fighting Todd Howard once again when Skyrim comes out - while still bitching about how dumbed down Oblivion (and Fallout 3) was.

Because that's a cool thing to do.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The main problem with our RPG of the year polls is that the game played by the most people usually wins, regardless of how good it was. Go read through the thread and see how many people say they only played DAO and maybe one other game. It's pretty clear why that game won; DAO was anticipated on the Codex for years so many people played it when it came out. 2009 was an underwhelming year for RPGs; there wasn't much competition.

Aboyd put it best:
aboyd said:
You know, if it really bugs Codex natives that DA is winning, it might be slightly comforting to note that the poll is almost self-selecting for DA. By that I mean, when presented with a list of stuff to vote for, people vote for the familiar, so popular shit remains popular shit. But just because McDonald's sells the most doesn't mean it's the best.

If we had a poll where we rated the quality of the games on a 5-star basis, it's possible that KotC would get a dozen 4 or 5 star ratings, which might handily trounce DA's 200 3 star ratings.

The poll as it currently stands allows a majority of people who are only familiar with a game that is "pretty OK" to overrun a minority of people who have experienced a game that is amazing.

So take heart. The disappointing results here may simply be a flaw of the poll itself.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I'm sorry. Nobody stopped those people from playing Risen.

For a month before DA came out.

If you ignore a bunch of less hyped games, play DA and then vote in the poll that has it for DA - that's exactly what you do because clearly DA is superior enough for you to ignore other games.

No excuses.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
The guy is still here?

http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php ... t=#1756334

Posting even more nonsense?

Downloaded and played Europa Universalis III for a while.

Fucking boring, and pretty much zero historical fappability, a fact that instantly makes Civilization the better game since its simpler mechanics allows you to focus completely on strategy and deeper thinking instead of watching bars getting filled.

The only good thing about the Codex is that I can create more precious hatred by merely looking at you degenerate shitheads. Why? Because hatred is what keeps me going.

:rpgcodex:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Wyrmlord said:
The guy is still here?
Of course he is. Now one leaves the Codex other than Qwinn. You should know :smug:

Welcome back 1ek. I look forward to your extensive essays on why the Codex sucks due to it not being made of noble materials :love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom