Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I finally understand how shitty the Codex is

Shannow

Waster of Time
Hey, that answers two questions *g*

Sceptic, where are Fez, Section8, obediah, Roleplayer or Saint Proverbius then?

EDIT:
Vault Dweller said:
Shannow said:
I don't like that poll. It suggests something it doesn't prove. If the CIA kidnapped me and gave me the choice between waterboarding, electro shocks to the testicles or being skinned alive, I'd go for waterboarding. Doesn't make waterboarding good. IIRC, it didn't really have any competition. If DAO had had to compete with Risen, MotB and/or TW2 (all mainstream and not unanimously praised on the codex) I'm pretty sure results would still have been different.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=38358

Risen was released a month before Dragon Age and was on the list.
Just saw that now. Ouch. Codex, I am disappoint. (But I still think that more people will have played Risen by now and that in direct competition Risen would win.)

almondblight

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
I agree that the first third was much better than the last, but many games are like that...Arcanum...

Eh, is this true? I played the demo and thought it was pretty bad, but was considering trying it again hoping that it would get better the further into it I went.

Shannow

Waster of Time
MetalCraze said:
Risen would win simply because it's cool to hate on Bioware now - ME3 isn't released yet.
Come on. You are the guy who played KotOR 7 times. If anyone should allow people to change their minds if exposed to new evidence/a broader horizon it should be you.

(And incidentally, my original point was that DAO gets more "meh" the more one plays it. :M )

MetalCraze

Arcane
Come on. You are the guy who played KotOR 7 times. If anyone should allow people to change their minds if exposed to new evidence/a broader horizon it should be you.

Give me a single example where I've bitched and moaned about a game because it was cool to do so, then immediately played it when it became cool to do so and then started bitching about it again when it became cool to do so?

Do I bitch about KotOR on every corner?

a broader horizon

A broader horizon is one thing. "It's cool to bash Bioware right now" is another thing. Tastes don't suddenly change every month unless you try to be a cool guy on the Codex.

Shannow

Waster of Time
MetalCraze said:

Give me a single example where I've bitched and moaned about a game because it was cool to do so, then immediately played it when it became cool to do so and then started bitching about it again when it became cool to do so?

Do I bitch about KotOR on every corner?

a broader horizon

A broader horizon is one thing. "It's cool to bash Bioware right now" is another thing. Tastes don't suddenly change every month unless you try to be a cool guy on the Codex.
Point out all those trend flip-floppers, if you please. And no, Konjad is trolling, he doesn't count. (I'm not even doubting that there are kiddies that express opinions more to fit in than because they really believe in them. But I just don't see any (widespread) proof.)

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Sceptic said:
Wyrmlord said:
The guy is still here?
Of course he is. Now one leaves the Codex other than Qwinn. You should know :smug:
Well, it's strange to compare me to Qwinn or 1eyedking, since I never made any "I am leaving forever" posts. ;)

MetalCraze

Arcane
Shannow said:
Point out all those trend flip-floppers, if you please. And no, Konjad is trolling, he doesn't count. (I'm not even doubting that there are kiddies that express opinions more to fit in than because they really believe in them. But I just don't see any (widespread) proof.)

Fallout 3 and DAO are not enough? Same people who praise crap like DXHR yet bash Oblivion (which everyone here does) for dumbing down are not enough? Wait for Skyrim then.

Speaking of Oblivion. It isn't the worst game by far compared to what codex praises nowadays - yet it still being bashed because it's trendy.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
How many flopped on DA:O Skyway? How many flopped on Fallout 3?

Not game specifics - people. Which people tore it to pieces then liked it? Not that it wouldn't be alright if they did - changing opinions is what a forum should be about anyway - but I can't actually recollect many who did. In part I guess that's what's wrong with the interwebz.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Grunker basically said it. You're treating the codex as a single minded entity again. Yes, the expressed opinions on the codex flip-flopped on FO3, DAO, OBSIDIAN, Bioware and to certain extent DA2 and NV, as far as I can tell. But the codex is no single entity. The codex cannot flip flop, it can only change (decline).
All your bitching is pointless if you can't name - not one - but a few posters who actually indulge in this trend flip flopping that you so despise.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Wyrmlord said:
Well, it's strange to compare me to Qwinn or 1eyedking, since I never made any "I am leaving forever" posts. ;)
Yeah that's true. If anything your leaving was more like that of the oldfags that Shannow listed, without fanfare.

Also, @Shannow - didn't Fez come back at some point? though I haven't seen him post again in a while now...

Shannow said:
Yes, the expressed opinions on the codex flip-flopped on FO3, DAO, OBSIDIAN, Bioware and to certain extent DA2 and NV, as far as I can tell.
I don't think even this is true. FO3 was always despised by the majority (and we have a whole bunch of reviews that slam it), and with DAO, Obsidian and FNV there's no change at all; the same people who liked DAO still like it, the same people who didn't like don't like it (I've not seen VD suddenly claim it's now shit, and neither Elzair nor I are suddenly claiming it's awesome, f.e.). Same with Obsidian; though even there I don't think there's a single poster that likes ALL of Obsidian; Roxor likes Alpha Protocol THIS MUCH yet hated on FNV, Sillelak loves FNV but hates AP, most people hate SOZ but some of us like it (and this "us" hasn't changed)... point is, there is no fluctuation or change. Which is why skyway cannot list people and is wrong even when he lists games - he's comparing the two different groups across the years and ignoring the fact that both groups have existed relatively unchanged throughout that time frame. I could go on with the ME's as well, since skyway insists on bringing it up as the series that proves him right - but how many who hated ME1 are now singing its praise? and not everyone who thought ME1 was mediocre thinks ME2 is awesome, so even that can't be used as a sign of decline. As for DA2, the only one who likes it is Konjad.

I'm really trying, but I don't see this trend that you keep describing, skyway.

Phelot

Arcane
Sceptic said:
Also, @Shannow - didn't Fez come back at some point? though I haven't seen him post again in a while now...

He helped me with that drama thread around late 2009 or whenever that was made. It's a shame he didn't stick around, he seems like a cool buy, but maybe he's like spacemoose and took a break or whatever.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Ah, plus don't forget about all the post-posting lurking that likely goes on around here. I'm sure the admins could provide some interesting revelations about quite a few "former" posters along those lines.

I'd bet even St. P still logs in from his terminal in heavan from time to time, just to check in on us.

The reason why no one ever leaves the Codex is because the Codex never leaves us.

Phelot

Arcane
phelot said:
It's a shame he didn't stick around, he seems like a cool buy

I was going to edit and fix this typo but I think it's better to leave my meaning ambiguous...

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
@Jasede

NWN2 campaign is not stupid. It's a rare thing in todays games (in all of genres) when bad guys are driven by ironic logic (take Black Garius f. e. and how his evil plan turned for him in the end =) ), not by bioware-styled script "I'm a bad guy, so I must kill everybody because I'm bad".

NWN2 is far not a great rpg. But it's definitely WORTH a shot.
I know why VD didnt like it, but NWN2 indeed has places where you have to fight countless monsters, like in the end of act 1, but it's definitely FAR FAR more intelligent than IWD2. As well as better than NWN1 OC.
As someone mentioned here NWN2 is uneven. In some places it's a huge letdown, in some - it's a great game. And because of the second places it works. At least for me.
But as I said - you should try it.

voice acting is... satisfactory. I really liked Neeshka's voice, while Elanee sucked. Khelgar is a standard dwarf - true, like some others, but some voices are pretty fine chosen.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... c&start=75

NWN2 and BG1 are both shit.
However BG1 is less shit.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=33424

Whos the flip-flopper now, Skyway?

flowerytwats.jpg

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Krap said:
@Jasede

NWN2 campaign is not stupid. It's a rare thing in todays games (in all of genres) when bad guys are driven by ironic logic (take Black Garius f. e. and how his evil plan turned for him in the end =) ), not by bioware-styled script "I'm a bad guy, so I must kill everybody because I'm bad".

NWN2 is far not a great rpg. But it's definitely WORTH a shot.
I know why VD didnt like it, but NWN2 indeed has places where you have to fight countless monsters, like in the end of act 1, but it's definitely FAR FAR more intelligent than IWD2. As well as better than NWN1 OC.
As someone mentioned here NWN2 is uneven. In some places it's a huge letdown, in some - it's a great game. And because of the second places it works. At least for me.
But as I said - you should try it.

voice acting is... satisfactory. I really liked Neeshka's voice, while Elanee sucked. Khelgar is a standard dwarf - true, like some others, but some voices are pretty fine chosen.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... c&start=75

NWN2 and BG1 are both shit.
However BG1 is less shit.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=33424

Whos the flip-flopper now, Skyway?

:lol: :thumbsup:

DakaSha

Arcane
i like it here because as i understood it the majority thinks games like DA are at best mediocre... im confused

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
The truth is, it's not the Codex that's the problem. The Codex is just a simple installation of phpBB 2.x which occurred sometime in 2002. All that forum software lets you do is post comment on the things that interest you. Without users, the Codex would just be an empty phpBB forum.

So in truth, it's not that the Codex is shit, it's the users that are shitty.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Black Bart Charley said:
Grunker said:
I wonder when Skyway's gonna comment.
Whats there to comment. Tastes change. There are 2 years in between. He played xcom and ja2 in that time!!1

He's the one claiming change of taste constitutes flip-flopping.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Skyway never responds when people post direct evidence of his hypocrisy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom