Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I like BG2

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I like the BG series, depite its sometimes glaring shortcomings (referring to BG1 in particular here, though I stand by my opinion that it was superior to the sequel in the 'exploration' aspect, I wasn't pleased at all with the on-rails progress through the game world in BG2).

JarlFrank said:
Am I the only one around here who thinks that BG2's graphics are absolutely awesome?

Of course not. Every single game based on the Infinity Engine is nothing short of stunning visually and BG2 is not an exception.

Nedrah

Erudite
Letum Fol said:
I just realized that for some reason the hivemind sees Baldur's Gate 2 as a steaming pile of shit.

Thread tl;dr.

Still, I'd like to know where people get that idea. Plenty of us actually see BG2 as one of the better, if not best, Rpgs out there. I know that I played through it more than once, really considering a BG1/2tutu run at the moment. Has to be heavily modded though, so I first need to find out how heavily tutu will limit my ability to add some of the content-heavier mods.

deranged

Cipher
Yoshimo and Keldorn.

-A question to you, Keldorn: Do good knights ever find cause to sing bawdy songs and tell ribald tales around a campfire, or is dourness an inarguable tenet of the Order?
-Ha. There are countless books within our Holy Libraries where bored and dreamy scribes have penned petty blasphemies into the margins.When I was younger, I used to sing a little song that would make the brothers laugh...how did it go now, I wonder?
-You're not seriously going to sing it, are you?
-"I knew a girl from a distant world,
across the planar deep,
and to her place, to see her face,
across the void, I'd creep.
Though time... though time.....
Oh, how did the second verse go? It's been so long, I'm surprised I remember that much.
-"Though time went by and long I tried
to satisfy my lust,
no matter where I touched, 'twas not enough
to please my succubus."
Is that it?

Also Zan and Keldorn.

-One must maintain constant discipline and remember the four principles of virtue...that is my motto and everlasting burden.
-Virtue, eh knighty?
-Indeed, little one. 'Tis not virtuous to refer to me as 'knighty'.
-Another human with his shorts in a knot. But I digress. Anyway, Keldy, my mother wrote a book on virtue.
-Did she?
-Oh, yes. A book on the virtues of erotic love. "Sins of the Flesh Golem", it was called. Excellent sales in the paladin's spouse market.
-A wholly inappropriate jest, Jan. You should be ashamed.
-It is no jest. I'll send you copy, if your wife does not already have one.
-Never speak of my wife, gnome. Your lack of respect is appalling.
-Ah, now I see. One of THOSE.
-It is not your place to judge my affairs. You must learn to respect your leaders.
-I do respect my leaders. This has nothing to do with them. This reminds me of the chapter where the paladin first makes passionate love to the flesh golem. What a beautiful scene...

Pretty clear what the target audience for the game was, no?

NWN2 OC was fun but a bit cheesy and waaay too easy with no mods.

PS:T and MOTB had quality writing, but their combat sucked big time.

BG2 is every geek's wet dream come true....

Melcar

Arcane
I enjoy BG2. It's easily the best game among my collection. Great atmosphere and gameplay. Hated most of the NPCs though. Don't know why... maybe it was their personality (although I did enjoy most of the in-party banters between some of them) or the fact that there were so few of them that it limited strategic party builds.
ToB is shit, however. A pure mucnhkin fest. Only things I like about it are Watcher's keep (doing it with a 15-18 lvl party is fun) and the whole Yaga-Shura part of the game.

For me the IE game ranking goes:

BG2>IWD>BG>IWD2

MetalCraze

Arcane
BG2 is the best Bioware game. Though that doesn't say much good about the game.
Still most of all I like that it had pretty nice c&c and not only among your companions. Also it has a big and varied world from the deserts to Underdark so the game is like a journey through DnD places of interest. I also like that each class gets his own castle/sphere/ranger hut to manage. It is probably the only Bioware game I can see myself replaying.
However it still has loads of classic Bioware shit like some extremely emo companions that you just kill when you meet them just to help your party to get started, often a mediocre writing and generic villains. The good thing - much less of that than in any other Bio game.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
What i have to say, is that BG2 have more roleplaying elements than HL2 and that means it's a fantasic game and very good RPG according to most recent codex classification. Also, everyone who don't likes it is a raving nerd unable to deal with games that don't meet his impossibly high expectation.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Hamster said:
What i have to say, is that BG2 have more roleplaying elements than HL2 and that means it's a fantasic game and very good RPG according to most recent codex classification. Also, everyone who don't likes it is a raving nerd unable to deal with games that don't meet hisimpossibly high expectation.
:salute:

Humanophage

Arcane
As a matter of fact, Baldur's Gate 2 was selected as one of the best representatives of the genre by Codex a few years ago. Unfortunately, I'm unable to find the exact thread, but here is a link to a news article on a different website: http://www.crpg.ru/article.php?sid=9729

1. Fallout
2. Planescape: Torment
3. Fallout 2
4. Arcanum
5. Baldur’s Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
6. Deus Ex
7. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
8. Ultima 7: The Black Gate // Baldur’s Gate
9. System Shock 2 // Gothic 2
10. Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall

I don't think it's very representative of what we can see on the board: for instance, Baldur's Gate I is often viciously attacked. It is also likely that the Codex is growing more elitist and disillusioned with time, and would assault some of the less extravagant games as the users of the forum get more and more tired of fantasy.

Personally, I liked the game quite a bit. I'm not sure if it's adequate to accuse it of being a dungeon crawl - in fact, most of the fans of the game paid less attention to combat and more to character interaction than many Fallout I and Fallout II fans did, judging by their comments on popular sites (it sometimes seems as if some Fallout fans were playing a simple version of Jagged Alliance, not an RPG renowned for its non-linearity and dialogues). I also didn't find Baldur's Gate excessively whiny. Many JRPGs are emo and cheesy, but Baldur's Gate? It's neither too romantic nor too macho.

I like BG2. It's huge, mostly interesting, quite varied. Story, characters and dialogue are nowhere near PS:T level, but also not nearly as bad as Oblivion's. I enjoyed the combat for the most part, although I don't really have high standards in that regard. A good game overall, I have enjoyed it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cloaked Figure said:
shall i make a new top 10 codex RPG's thread? or of the mods should do it, as to generate more traffic and votes :>

I don't think we need this yet. Not before I have created 10 CRPGs :conspiracy:

deranged

Cipher
---Sings happily--- ...I like BG2 and I cannot lie...You other brothers can't deny...

Humanophage said:
...Baldur's Gate I is often viciously attacked...

There is a reason for that, BG1 unlike BG2 was a yawn-fest in clearing the wilderness areas,
had soulless NPCs and only a handful of interesting challenges / encounters. Well-above titles like Fable or Oblivion, but still overrated.

skyway said:
However it still has loads of classic Bioware shit like some extremely emo companions that you just kill when you meet them just to help your party to get started...

I am not sure I understand this bit, care to elaborate?

skyway said:
...often a mediocre writing...

again care to elaborate ? Mediocre compared to what ? Comparing it to PS:T, which was basically literature in the form of a CRPG, doesn't explain much and PS:T it still only a single game. Can you reference a few CRPGs that had better dialogue?

skyway said:
...and generic villains...

Who ? Irenicus? Bodhi?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Because it's basically a dungeon crawler. Dialogs are basic, inconsequential and short. If BG 2 would have real dialogs then it would be a top game, most definitely."

You are dumb. You might have a popint with BG1; but not BG2. Its dialogues ar eoften of solid length, and far from basic or inconsequential. Tool.

Xi

Arcane
BG 2 is a fine RPG. Who wouldn't kill(Or go suicide bombing) for a similar experience these days?

Quilty

Magister
I really hated the level-draining vampires.

But seriously, I enjoyed the game for what it seemed to offer: a decent story, nice followers (if at times too emo/irritating), a good combat system, even though I found it wasn't anything too exciting or memorable. However,today I'd kill for another such game. I can't stand the mediocrity that is being lauded as original these days.

I can't wait for AoD.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I really hated the level-draining vampires."

That's because you are a pussy, and a retarded all rolled up into one.

"I can't stand the mediocrity that is being lauded as original these days."

Brainwashed moronic tool mimicing retards who are blinded by the overrated past.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom