Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I would like to see a medievil RPG without any kind of magic

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Yes without any kind of magic whatsoever.

I would like to see an RPG where cold and hot climate means something.
You take cold damage if you are not wearing worm cloths.

I would like to see an RPG where in the world map you move slower in jungle or ice.

I would like to see an RPG that has real religions yes the religions that we use today or were used in the past.

I would like to see an RPG that mentions social problems
Like drugs, mafia, dirty politicians

I would like to see an RPG in where character advancement is much more difficult and only real world skills are used.

I would like to see an RPG that treats women and men like they were really treated in medieval times.

And if you do not believe that such a realistic RPG can be made let me point you on 2 RPG that have been made.

Fallout 1 and 2.

No magick except maybe the super stim packs.

Instead of cold whether radiation. (You can argue that cold whether cannot exist in the post apocalyptic environment.)

Fallout 2 at least parodies a real " religion"

Fallout use only real world skills.

Fallout treats women and man differently. (Like in the sleeping with others area or work for the mafia.)

You can argue that the post-apocalyptic world has no ice or jungle.

Fallout talks about drugs, mafia, and dirty politicians.

Can any game company make such a game?

Would you like such a game? Would you buy it?

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
I want a medieval game that explores the medieval ethics like the Fallout 1 and 2 explore the ethics of the post nuclear war

Is this too hard for you game developers ?

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
And also

I want a contemporary game that explores the contemporary ethics like the Fallout 1 and 2 explore the ethics of the post nuclear war

Something like a big corp. try to get some recourses out of a small island the old fashioned way and you have a choice as an islander.

a) To oppose them
or b )

To join them

Is this too hard and risky for you game developers ?

-------------------------------------------------

Edited 2 time for m$ spell checking

Or what about a game where the environment is in danger?

A few conglomerates are destroying the environment and nothing is done about it.
Maybe you as a pc could do something about it?

What about such a rpg?

Something different, something that deals with today real and pressing issues?

Is such a game to risky for you game developers?

/edit

Spazmo

Erudite
About Fallout, you moved at different speeds through mountains, deserts, and ruined cities, so that's another point for FO.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Re: I would like to see a medievil RPG without any kind of m

chrisbeddoes said:
Yes without any kind of magic whatsoever.

I would like to see an RPG where cold and hot climate means something.
You take cold damage if you are not wearing worm cloths.

How much realism is too much, though? Things like forcing the player to carry around food and water, for example, just gets annoying.

Without magic, how would you heal? We're talking medieval times, right? You could get an infection from virtually anything. You get sliced by a sword, and you could die a week later from that wound being infected because they had no concept of sterilizing wounds back then.

Even if you ignore infections, it takes weeks for a broken bone to mend, and chances are, that bone will heal crooked. Without stitches, a sword wound can take weeks to heal because it'll keep reopenning itself when you move. Without surgery, a stab wound will most likely result in sepsis.

One thing that magic does, and does well, is eliminate circumstances like the above.

I would like to see an RPG that has real religions yes the religions that we use today or were used in the past.

This can open a whole can of worms. However, there is a CRPG that is based on the Bible.

http://www.evillusion.com/eonoftears/eo ... glais.html

There's also Europa 1400: The Guild, which is a medieval CRPG/Sim.

http://www.the-guild.com

I would like to see an RPG that mentions social problems
Like drugs, mafia, dirty politicians

Most do.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
QUOTE" Without magic, how would you heal? We're talking medieval times, right? You could get an infection from virtually anything. You get sliced by a sword, and you could die a week later from that wound being infected because they had no concept of sterilizing wounds back then."
/QUOTE

They were burning the wound . Others were using herbs with real healing power .They were also using alcohol .Did you know that the ancient Greeks drank only a mixture of 50 % water and 50 % wine in campaigns ?
And that mixture was left for hours or even days? Or that most of our modern medicine come from extracts of herbs and animals ?

QUOTE"
Even if you ignore infections, it takes weeks for a broken bone to mend, and chances are, that bone will heal crooked."
/QUOTE

Critical hits need skill in doctor to get healed in say Fallout

Without stitches, a sword wound can take weeks to heal because it'll keep reopening itself when you move.

They had things like that

Without surgery, a stab wound will most likely result in sepsis.

Only if it is not treated

One thing that magic does, and does well, is eliminate circumstances like the above.

Time also heals .

And in reality any person that has done anything significant in history has done it a) By being really smart and having new bright ideas.
b) By organizing people for any purpose
c) By being a leader a lots of people either in war or in peace .
d) By having lots and lots of money

No person in history is ever recorded to have done anything because he was a great mage .

So such a rpg would focus on

a) Intelligence
b) Diplomacy and persuasion
c) Ability to become rich and powerful
d) Ability to make lots of money as a merchant or a thief or a trickster

It would not focus on melee skills

So stats could be

a) intelligence
b) charisma
c) Beauty
d) persuasion
e) Money - ability
f) Luck

And it should not focus in combat .

The focus should be in persuading people to go your way NOT
in killing monsters.

Because monsters do not exist if no magick exists.

And if you do engage in combat and you are crippled and don’t have a doctor then game over and reload like in real life .

In real life a hero in wheel chair cannot beat the bad guys .

So reload

Ibbz

Augur
Chris, you should really use the "edit" button instead of posting three times in a row.

Chicago. And damn anyone who is not the same.
Re: I would like to see a medievil RPG without any kind of m

I have been thinking of a game for a while, with the working title Mediterranean. that works out many of these problems without overdoing the magic element.
More or less, imagine the Epoch of Gilgamesh going from around 2,000BC to 1453 AD. Your character could change everything. He could lead Athens in the Peloponnesian war to victory; he could join the Legions of Caesar and become one of Constantine Agustulus' 800 men.
The system I have planned, however, was fantastic enough for gameplay to last throughout history.
Healing?
Cbdd, you honestly think burning a wound would heal anything beyond a flesh wound? The answer? Add a fantasy element. Only way.

And if you do engage in combat and you are crippled and don’t have a doctor then game over and reload like in real life.

In real life a hero in wheel chair cannot beat the bad guys.

So reload
If you want a real life simulator, go http://thesims.ea.com/ here. If you want great gameplay, it should not be so based on reloading. This was one of the greatest things about PST
The focus should be in persuading people to go your way NOT
in killing monsters.
Not the focus, but a way most assuredly. Also, do not use "monsters". Use "enemies", primarily because "monsters" makes it sound like we are making some "d&d clone".
a) intelligence
To generic. If you are dealing with a medieval/classical setting, you need Intl. and Wis. and Spirituality
b) charisma
My main gripe about Arcanum's system was the separation of Beauty and Charisma, but in this case it may work. You could pull and Alexander the Great and convince your army to stay with you with your charisma, or do it with your beauty a la Joan de Arc.
e) Money - ability
This should be handled by Intl. and Char.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
I don't know about you guys, but all I want is a game designer who can spell.

:D ba dam cha!

Seriously though folks. Social issues and more depth to the game world than the typical "TOWN IS FOR SUPPLIES/HEALINGS/QUEST CLUES and everything else is dungeon" world is what fallout is all about. You make any RPG like that in any type of environment and I'm up for it. See: Arcanum. It had magic, but I still dug it.

Spazmo

Erudite
*Laugh track plays*

Anyways, the game described by chrisbeddoes sounds like an adventure game to me. Which isn't a bad idea since we could use more adventure games.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Constipated Craprunner said:
I did not misspell anything in that post.
I should know. I use spell check on all of my posts these days.
Yeah, I know, pathetic.
Anyway, explain this to me-
You flamed Odin for only posting on DaC to pimp NMA, but at the same time your sig is a link to DaC?
right, he only posted to say VISIT NMA! I'm posting to flame you -- silly!

Rosh

Erudite
But how exactly is that connected to a link to DaC? O glorious hypocrisy!

Read Killzig's post again, stupid.

I'd really like to see a game like you're describing. If nothing else it would be something other than the same old same old. Requiring long healing times for serious injuries really isn't a bad thing, it really makes you think about whether fighting is worth it or if there's a better solution. You'll also be more apt to try to even the odds when you do fight with things like ambushes, traps, and one-use items, which I rarely find are worth the time/money in just about any game I've ever played, since just pounding on your foes and then healing up afterwards will invariably do the job just as well.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Hey CBR it's my sig. It comes with the post automatically. SEE! Just like the whole illegal in most states tag comes with your crush on your cousin.

Rosh said:
Read Killzig's post again, stupid.
What?
No witty comeback?
No acid and ferret urine?
WHAT IS GOING ON?!
Uhm, okay.
At least define the game title "medditeranian" for me, though.
Whoops.
Okay, fixed.
Err, there is a difference in "linking" and "pimping", obviously you fail to see it. Apparently you don't have any idea of what the flamewar was even about, so I think it would be the best for you to crawl back to the laboratory you escaped from.
I get it now, though I still view it as a bit hypocritical. Returning to lab, sir.

Rosh

Erudite
Killzig said:
Returning to lab, sir.
YOU LEAVE YOUR COUSIN ALONE! Stay out of there!

I think the creepiest part was that it started when he was around 6.

I'm wondering if she did anything "special" for him at that time in his life, if you get my meaning.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
chrisbeddoes said:
They were burning the wound . Others were using herbs with real healing power .They were also using alcohol .Did you know that the ancient Greeks drank only a mixture of 50 % water and 50 % wine in campaigns ?

You know those weren't common practices in the medieval period?

And that mixture was left for hours or even days? Or that most of our modern medicine come from extracts of herbs and animals ?

Anti-venoms come from animals, sure. However, that concept is much newer than the time period you're talking about.

Aspirin can be made from willow bark, but that wasn't discovered until 1889. 300 years too late for medieval times. Likewise, penicillin is derived from mold, but that wasn't discovered until 1928.

Sure, a lot of common medicines come from plants, but their discoveries are much, much later than the medieval time period you're talking.

Critical hits need skill in doctor to get healed in say Fallout

Fallout also took place in the future, so you have a bit of science fiction to explain why doctors could heal a broken bone in four hours.

They had things like that

They most certainly didn't have stitches back then.

Only if it is not treated

Ummm.. The only treatment for sepsis would be surgery followed by antibiotics. Notice my sentence started with, "Without surgery".

Sepsis is basically the fluids leaking out of one organ and causing infections in others. Our bodies have losts of bacteria in them that serve a purpose in one organ, but create problems in others. That's what sepsis is. Without surgery, those damaged organs will continue to leak infection to other organs.

Time also heals .

We're talking about a time period where influenza and common colds killed people.

Rosh said:
Killzig said:
Returning to lab, sir.
YOU LEAVE YOUR COUSIN ALONE! Stay out of there!

I think the creepiest part was that it started when he was around 6.

I'm wondering if she did anything "special" for him at that time in his life, if you get my meaning.
Meh.
That entire post was more or less making fun of the entire trend in feelings for people to whine about thier lack of daily pussy.
Again, the irony was somehow lost.

Spazmo

Erudite
Well, Saint, I think that they would just have to remove a certain degree of realism from the game so that your character wouldn't be a blind triple-amputee by the time the end of the game rolls around. But quite frankly, this game concept would really work best as an adventure game, or maybe some kind of adventure game/RPG hybrid. This would allow the developers to effectively circumvent the crippling injury aspect of the game.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Spazmo said:
Well, Saint, I think that they would just have to remove a certain degree of realism from the game so that your character wouldn't be a blind triple-amputee by the time the end of the game rolls around. But quite frankly, this game concept would really work best as an adventure game, or maybe some kind of adventure game/RPG hybrid. This would allow the developers to effectively circumvent the crippling injury aspect of the game.

Well, the point is that if you made apothacaries actually work and work well, you'd end up being something close to magic since most of their practices didn't work at all.

In the case of things like healing massive damage, there needs to be something in terms of the setting that explains it. Suspension of realism, expecially in this case, pretty much means "magic".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom