Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment If you could unplay an RPG, what would it be?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I likewise regret the 20 minutes I spent in Skyrim.

The chargen was so buggy and unresponsive because it was designed for a joypad, that I spent 15 minutes on that and 5 minutes on actual playing. I noticed the game wasn't that pretty either. After we were attacked by the dragon, I ended up in these caves where I was attacked by a Shelob-looking giant spider, whom I dispatched with two strikes of a weapon. Uh okay. I went outside then and noticed the shadows everywhere are flickering which was annoying as hell. I wandered for a while and were attacked by soldiers (?). I killed both of them with a single stroke of a rusted sword. The end.

9ted6

Educated
Red Dead 2. It's good with mods up until Lemoyne, but everything in it and after it wrecks the entire game.
I hear you. The Southern part just drags and drags and drags on and of course filled with OLD SOUTH IS LE BAD shit (I mean, yeah, slavery sort of sucked, we get it)
Yeah, the missions start dragging, they become really formulaic, and along with the obligatory woke shit the writing takes a nosedive. Nobody can make a reasonable decision or act rationally for a single scene and the entire gang has to be completely braindead to allow the second half of the story to happen. Add to all this that without mods it's so easy you could play it in your sleep, enemies just cannot possibly kill you.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Fallout 3. After completing the main quest of Fallout 3 and then finishing Fallout: New Vegas I finally came to the conclusion that as a Fallout named game series this was an abomination. Thankfully however, after that I have and never will play any game from Bethesda ever again.

Gargaune

Magister
I want to change my answer.

I would unplay Neverwinter Nights, so that I would no longer know how shit Gargaune's taste actually is and I could respect his opinions again.
Now that's just great. First pop 'round Codex after coming back from hospital and what's waiting in my alerts? Bad taste in RPGs.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sword Coast Legends. Not really sure what I gained from playing that game. It's become one of the titles I use for other bad games. As in "Oh, well. At least it's not as bad as Sword Coast Legends.".

Kingmaker I have mixed feelings about. I feel like if I paly it another time I'd enjoy it a lot more but I can't imagine not having to play something better than that. But it's up there as one of the most uptight RPGs I've played.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
The game I absolutely hated the most was Elden Ring. I had two friends that forced me to play with them. 50 hours of hell. Hated every fucking minute.

I honestly hate all the Souls-style game because they are memory gags. In other words, in order to progress is to walk through a death-trap, deliberately letting yourself get killed, then replay and memorize learning the "puzzle" each time.

What kind of game literally forces you to get ass-raped in order to progress? It's not about skill or role-play or story. The game is like, "hey, you seem like you're finally getting good at this...well how about I fuck with you for the lulz!!??". It's about mind-numbing memorization. You never "get good" at it.

Zlaja

Arcane
The game I absolutely hated the most was Elden Ring. I had two friends that forced me to play with them. 50 hours of hell.

You have not one but TWO friends that you can play a game with for 50 hours? You lucky son of a bitch!

Saerain

Augur
Patron
Only Mass Effect 3, really.

For incomplete plays, maybe the hour I spent with Kingdoms of Amalur.

Zinloz

Barely Literate
Planescape: Torment. Top RPG here, apparently, but the gameplay is atrocious and you have to have never read a book in your life to think the writing is anything above mediocre. Complete waste of time. Not even a matter of "overrated", it's just bad.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The only thing that comes to mind is Lionheart. It was my first disappointment as an RPG fan and essentially a child. It began so great and I was really invested, but then I left Barcelona. This was the first time I thought to myself "did the devs even test their own game?". Turns out much later that it's more complicated than that, but eh, the damage was already done.

Zlaja

Arcane
If I had the power to unplay one of the rpgs, I'd choose a very good one, in order to experience it for the 1st time again!

Dark Souls. So I can experience the thrill of playing it for the first time. And if that could be a process I can repeat on the regular, that would be perfect.

Lazy bums.

To be clear, by unplaying it you would also commit to never playing it in the future, so it's not about games you loved so much you wish you could experience them for the first time again

quaesta

Educated
Fallout 3 purely because of how little of an impression that game made on it. I can recite other game's plot/mechanics/beats off the back on my hand, even if I played them years ago like Arcanum. All I remember for 3 was
1. that intro bit
2. vampires
3. liberty prime
4. kids
5. the characters of the main plot (not even what they did, I can't tell you what Colonial Autumn's personality is)
6. radio (my favorite part was killing Three Dog and so the old lady gets upset on the radio, that was hilarious)
Even then, most of this is just from watching videos on it/discussions, not even from me playing it.
It was very bland entry.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The only thing that comes to mind is Lionheart. It was my first disappointment as an RPG fan and essentially a child. It began so great and I was really invested, but then I left Barcelona. This was the first time I thought to myself "did the devs even test their own game?". Turns out much later that it's more complicated than that, but eh, the damage was already done.
Granting that Lionheart isn't an RPG, it's still a good Amiga game in its own genre.

15853403-lionheart-amiga-the-hero.png
15852755-lionheart-amiga-dragon.png
15853421-lionheart-amiga-valdyn-flying-around.png

15853994-lionheart-amiga-game-start.png
15852911-lionheart-amiga-bug-enemy.png
15853001-lionheart-amiga-enemy-and-vines.png

quaesta

Educated
Tyranny. What a colossal waste of time. Fucking boring woke edgelord bullshit.
How bad was Tyranny, and how was the wokeness? I never played it but I was looking forward to it, cause I heard you do bad stuff in that game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
How bad was Tyranny, and how was the wokeness? I never played it but I was looking forward to it, cause I heard you do bad stuff in that game.
The writing is boring and the game is unfinished, but it being unfinished is hardly a problem when you can't get past the beginning of the second chapter due to the boring writing. The writing is also bad and cringe, yes, but it's a much bigger problem that it's boring and there's a lot of it.

quaesta

Educated
The writing is boring and the game is unfinished, but it being unfinished is hardly a problem when you can't get past the beginning of the second chapter due to the boring writing. The writing is also bad and cringe, yes, but it's a much bigger problem that it's boring and there's a lot of it.
Jesus that's everything I hate in a game in one. Too much and boring writing pisses me off, especially in games where they only need a little writing to get me invested.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It wasn't really bad from a certain perspective. By which I mean most people will choose the blue guys or the red guys, for their first 2 playthroughs. Then they'll think outside the box. And the 4th playthrough is the most enjoyable, because you finally start to think like an Overlord.

The part where it was bad was the combat. There are, essentially, only 3 maybe 4 type of enemies the whole game. So what you're left with is enjoying the magic system, and that's not nearly enough to carry the game.

So it just ends up being a midwit of a game.

Don't buy Bastard's Wound. It's the worst DLC ever fucking made. But the tales one is ok.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Tyranny writing is a lot of edgy feminist drivel. "Look how badass this woman is! She kills all the prisoners with her dual knives!" followed by emasculating the male companion who's trapped in a suit of armor and has to shit himself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom