Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm actually looking forward to Mass Effect 2

Heresiarch

Prophet
Despite the fact I really want to see all those dumbass copy-and-paste dungeons and side-quests designers got hanged, got so fucked up by the idea invented by some brilliant genius of Mako driving on pure pointless empty planets, got fed up by the Space Rangers wannabe system and planet surveys, and not mention all the LULZ during all those clichie and overdramatic B-movies style scenes, and did I mention the stupid dungeons and side-quests really suck krogan cocks?

[spoilerz below, but wtf, all are expected cliches]

But the last part of the game actually got me feel a bit of EPIXNEZ, I mean idiotic politcians who always get into your way, forced "some1 must die!!11" choices, underappreciated hero/heroine always saves the day, massive fleet fighting gigantic evil alien ships with explosions everywhere, all those Hollywood movie stuff really makes me feel high while my brain cells kept dying.

Oh, seeing the fucking council and their ship got cut off communication and die in a huge bang while all the human ships just flew by IZ TEH BEST PART OF THE GAME! I reloaded for the paragon ending though...

Seriously, despite all the lulz and quirks, I say ME is a playable game, at least the main quest is good enough, with some funny twists, even though it reeks full of the story of Freespace. Entertaining enough for some relaxation and lullz (as you can see it, it's really full of lullz), and provides a good variety after some serious rpg sessions (I play ME right after finished MOTB).

And WTF, why no Tali romance? Speaking of this I HATE BIOWARE because all the girls I like in their games can't be romanced - I want Mission romance! I want Neeshka romance! I want Tali romance WTF! (YEAH I know Neeshka is Obsidian's creation but I still want to rant)

ME2 plz cum! I wanna high.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Bioware doesn't want you to fuck Imoen, I meant Tali.
And yes the sequel, if they really ditch the cookie cutter dungeon and pedestrian shooter missions, might turn out good.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Tali'Zorah nar Rayya must be one of the best fuckin names I've ever heard in a game!

With that out of the way, I think ME has surprisingly little content for a game that promises an open galaxy to explore. It gets too caught up in copy-paste bullshit. Not to mention that the main story is all about stopping Saren, as fast as possible. "Go! Now, there's no time to waste!" This kind of works against the whole idea of exploration.

But above all else, quests are so run-of-the-mil and devoid of choices. Most of them are about talking to mr. X for someone, answering a distress call (which half the times turns out to be a trap of some sort) or simply kill someone for X quest giver. Even the main missions offer little variety. So you're locked in repetition until you get bored out of your skull. ME left a lot of room for improvement and they can only do better next time.

gamefan

Scholar
I'm looking foward to mass effect 2 and 3, but I hope they fix the a couple problems.

1. The mako sucks my penis.
2. The side quests suck my right testicle.
3. Forced companions suck my left testicle.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Ok, not all of them. But most of them, specially if you take into consideration side quests too."

Not true. Pretty much every ME quest has at least one choice. The porblem, if any for ME, is that it lacks solid consequences - espicially long term ones - for said chocies. But,s eriosuly, you'd be hard pressed to find any non collection quest in ME that didn't have some sort of choice being made.

Raapys

Arcane
I don't know, first couple of hours or so I thought the game was gonna turn out all right, but I quickly got bored. It's just so average. The incredibly weak character customization also doesn't help any. Only really good thing about the game was part of the music.

So while I might be bothered playing through ME2, I definitely wont be 'looking forward' to it. Would much rather have KOTOR3.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Coming from some idiot who likes NWN?"

Coming from some idiot who thinks KOTOR series isn't overrated?

gamefan

Scholar
Volourn said:
"Coming from some idiot who likes NWN?"

Coming from some idiot who thinks KOTOR series isn't overrated?
I think its over rated but its a shit load better then fucking NWN.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Re: I'm actually looking forward for Mass Effect 2

Heresiarch said:
And WTF, why no Tali romance? Speaking of this I HATE BIOWARE because all the girls I like in their games can't be romanced - I want Mission romance! I want Neeshka romance! I want Tali romance WTF! (YEAH I know Neeshka is Obsidian's creation but I still want to rant)
I'll just note that I'll take the dialogue option 1 in the finale over any of that therapist shit Bioware puts people through.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
LastAngryBat said:
Incest is WRONG people. Even if it is just a game.
Don't knock it until you try it.

Any way i most admit i am looking some what forward to Mass effect 2 and if they fix the short comings like to Cliche, Boring side missions, Waste of planets and the no one moves and are always standing in place....
But still over all it is better then Jade Empire.

Yeah, as much as I (and from their occasional comments, more than a few folk at Bioware) would love to see them produce another BG2, I do respect Bioware for what they do. They make popcorn-summer-hits, the gaming equivalent of the big dumb-but-fun action films. They take the risks you'd expect to take when spending $50mil on a game at the big boys end of the market - i.e. very little - but I rarely find their stuff boring or not worth buying. In other words, they aren't Bethesda. In a perfect gaming world they'd exist, but would be alongside Troika, Black Isle and 10 others all pumping out niche-oriented intelligent rpgs to match Bioware's action-with-rpg-elements mainstream hits. I'm as aware of their flaws as any here - cut and paste characters, lack of consequences for your actions, diminishing party mechanics and very limited roleplay, but I've always got what I expected from them and I usually get the feeling that they've achieved what they set out to do. Unfortunately part of what they set out to do was make a fuckload of money, and the gaming market is still aimed around stupid kiddies, hasn't matured to the point of segmentation yet, and so their games are as they are.

I guess what I'm saying is that you can't knock Bioware for not being an indie developer. Heck you can't even know Obsidian for not being a indie studio - they're sailing pretty close to the wind just by putting out somewhat rpg-story-choice focussed games for a niche market as is, they may well be a few years before their time in which case they could all end up losing their jobs (just ask Troika). Bioware's current products are why we NEED indie development to prosper like it has with film. Indie films are darn expensive too - but the tools and funding are there to make it possible IF you have a good script and can use a camera well. Heck, most of the successful indie films are funded by major studios, because the industry has developed to the point where the major studios KNOW that the indies won't be stealing their customers away, but they can use the indie companies to experiment vicariously, developing new actors, new camera techniques, new types of stories for the major studios to take the successful ones and use themselves (much cheaper for a stuido to give $2million to an indie company to shoot an experimental film than it is to try a talented but so far untested actor/director/technology in a $50mill hollywood picture).

That is what I hope comes to gaming - that companies like Bioware can continue to make money selling to large market segments, but that indie developers prosper to the point where good major studios use them to push new niche markets or develop new talent. Can you imagine in a few years once U3 or Cry enging becomes the 'cheap out-of-date' engine for indie developers, if the same development tools were around that made indie game development possible like digital does for indie film development, someone like Bioware giving VD $2mill and an 'on-loan' producer to help him manage that size of a budget, basically saying 'Hey, we'd love to test the waters for an oldschool party-based isometric game that's huge on Choice and Consequences', but frankly if we do it with modern graphics engines and cutting edge tech we could go out of business if it flopped - take this, if it sells then we will (a) hire you on our next big project, or (b) give you better funding on your next one'. Sounds far-fetched, but not if you compare it to what happens regularly in the film industry. But it requires 3 things: the development tools, a profitable mainstream studio to be capable of funding and benefitting from it, and a prosperous indie scene.

I guess what I'm saying is don't blame Bioware for being Bioware. Instead lets hope that VD and similar developers pull off what they're aiming for, and hope the industry is smart enough to help each other progress.

aries202

Erudite
Azrael the cat said:
/snip

Can you imagine in a few years once U3 or Cry enging becomes the 'cheap out-of-date' engine for indie developers, if the same development tools were around that made indie game development possible like digital does for indie film development, someone like Bioware giving VD $2mill and an 'on-loan' producer to help him manage that size of a budget, basically saying 'Hey, we'd love to test the waters for an oldschool party-based isometric game that's huge on Choice and Consequences', but frankly if we do it with modern graphics engines and cutting edge tech we could go out of business if it flopped - take this, if it sells then we will (a) hire you on our next big project, or (b) give you better funding on your next one'. Sounds far-fetched, but not if you compare it to what happens regularly in the film industry. But it requires 3 things: the development tools, a profitable mainstream studio to be capable of funding and benefitting from it, and a prosperous indie scene.

/snip

Didn't Bioware already do this? Azrael? I mean they did license their Aurora Engine to CD RED Project that made *the witcher* - a rpg which has choice&consequences for your actions. But I agree, it would be nice to see Bioware give VD or Thomas from Eschalon Book 1 some money so that they could test the waters for the old school rpg game.
Apart from that it probably would be EA giving VD or Thomas money, not Bioware, but I get the idea - and think it is a great idea :)

PS: Sorry for the snip - but the quote would simply be to lengthy...

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Funnily enough, the graphical engines of today will looks as shitty to us in the future as the engines of yesterday do to us now.

Unless an indie guy manages to find or have some incredible artistic talent. Because even a very outdated engine can have wonderfull results with the right art direction. Unfortunately most idiots rather focus on the next tech gizmo instead of the artistic quality.

Damn, I actually ranted there.

Raapys

Arcane
Not really Trash. Obviously the difference in graphical quality will become less and less for the same period of time the nearer we get 'photo-realistic'. So while the graphics difference between a game made 10 years ago and a game made today might be huge, a game made 20 years from now might not look all that different from a game made 30 years from now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom