Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm actually looking forward to Mass Effect 2

gamefan

Scholar
fastpunk said:
Volourn said:
And, it has tons of chocies that matter in ME.

While I agree that ME has more choices than BG, they are purely cosmetic ones. So please, tell the codex some of those choices that mattered so much in ME? Because I remember the main quest being pretty linear, except for the fact that you could choose the order of the planets you needed to check out.
Council live or die is the big one. Udina or anderson at the end also but that doesn't matter to much, who would pick fucking udina? Then theres a couple ways to deal with stuff, Wrex kill or die oe help, Ashley or kaiden to save one of them.

So fuck you bitch when you dont know what your talking about fucking asshole.

Raapys

Arcane
Hmm, I don't see why you think ME was so great Volourn.

The way I see it, it had:

Average setting
Average and linear story
Average atmosphere( saved by the music )
Poor combat
Too much combat
Boring/awkward planet exploration
Very poor character development system
*Very* boring items/weapons
Few and simple sidequests
Poor sound effects
Poor/boring and repeating area design in most cases, some exceptions

Among the good things I'd bring up Music and Cutscenes, but that's about it. This is just my general impression of the game after one play-through, without comparing it to any other specific titles.

Is your assessment of the game very different?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Volourn Jr.
Aside from killing your own party members for conflicts of interests , aka BG's "You're too fucking nice, me and Montaron are gonna go rambo on your ass now" since when ME choice actually affected what happens in later parts of the game. Aside from losing party members. You just had a line like "Wow commander, how the fuck you chose to let the Rachni off?" or "Congrats asshole, you just slaughtered another species in the galaxy" from the council?

In BG, you walk in a forest; you encounter a bunch of noblemen asking for help. A couple of druids are angered by their holiday huntings. So you pick helping the noblemen out. A few dead druids later, he rewards you with some gold and told you to come and visit his office at Baldur's Gate. I didn't expect the game to follow through on this, but they certainly did. Considering the gap between encountering him now and later is around 2-3 acts worth of gameplay that's consequence enough.

So did fastpunk don't know what's he talking about,
' bitch you don't know what you talking about fucking asshole'?

Go back to your mommy, Junior.
me.jpg

fastpunk

Arbiter
gamefan said:
Council live or die is the big one. Udina or anderson at the end also but that doesn't matter to much, who would pick fucking udina? Then theres a couple ways to deal with stuff, Wrex kill or die or help, Ashley or kaiden to save one of them.

Yeah, the 'council lives or dies' choice is a really big one. Either choice you take brings the same consequence: humans get a seat on the council. Purely cosmetic choice.

And then you can kill off two of your party members. You can also kill or spare the Rachni queen and again spare or kill those colonists on Feros. And the consequences for these are a few dialog lines. Mind-blowing stuff!

So the only way ME has a ton of meaningful choices is if somehow ton = two or three.

So try harder asswipe!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The way I see it, it had:"

Game over, part 1.

"Is your assessment of the game very different?"

Game over, part 2.

Raapys

Arcane
Well, usually when people say a game is good or bad it's based on their opinion, so what can you expect?

So you'd exchange every poor and average I put on that summary with good and great?

MetalCraze

Arcane
gamefan said:
fastpunk said:
Volourn said:
And, it has tons of chocies that matter in ME.

While I agree that ME has more choices than BG, they are purely cosmetic ones. So please, tell the codex some of those choices that mattered so much in ME? Because I remember the main quest being pretty linear, except for the fact that you could choose the order of the planets you needed to check out.
Council live or die is the big one. Udina or anderson at the end also but that doesn't matter to much, who would pick fucking udina? Then theres a couple ways to deal with stuff, Wrex kill or die oe help, Ashley or kaiden to save one of them.

So fuck you bitch when you dont know what your talking about fucking asshole.

so please tell the codex some of those choices that mattered so much in ME - now you understand? or should I repeat again? So you killed Wrex and? So you killed council and?
Try again.

Pegultagol

Erudite
Yeah, I've been left wanting from those events where your choices seem to have carried a lot of weight in the game. I mean, when I saved the Rachni queen, I expected all further encounters with the race would not be hostile. I was wrong. With Wrex being killed I half expected Saren'd make him his enforcer so the upcoming confrontation would become that much harder. I was wrong there also.

But you know that doing Wrex's family armor quest makes it easy to convince him at the juncture to stay on your side, so that is one significant choice. Also when you complete a mission on Moon solving the renegade VI problem, you receive a specialization bonus that can provide you with further customization. However, this consequence seems a tenuous outlier from the normal mission structure. Finally, choosing to resolve the scandal with the consort allows you to infer some interesting tidbits about the origin of Man, apart from the normal Codex information that often reinforces the Alliance perspective.

I believe another choice could be made regarding Tali. I've done only one playthrough so I would not know whether it is possible, but could going renegade at the first encounter preclude her becoming a party member? Doing the geth side missions rewards a data disc that allows Tali to fulfill her objective for her Pilgrimage. However the consequences of that should probably wait until ME2 to fully resolve.

And does it matter what path Cp. Anderson chooses to override the restraint on Normandy, through the C-Sec or through Udina?

Most of what I've found during my play through is that the consequences to the choices are immediate, usually executed through dialogs, which does not feel very rewarding. Overall the illusion of choices breadth and consequences certainly feels very solid in ME. However, whether they are substantiated with something concrete that ultimately reacts with your decisions I have not fully experienced and based upon the majority of opinions here is just that, illusion. This could be something that Bioware could work to improve in ME2, alongside more emphasis on making the exploration aspect more robust. I for one would like to see colonies on different worlds having a dynamic relationship with how the main character behaves in the game, not unlike the settlement in Bloodmoon expansion to Morrowind or even the Keep management in NWN2. Somewhere you can call 'home'.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Pegultagol said:
Yeah, I've been left wanting from those events where your choices seem to have carried a lot of weight in the game. I mean, when I saved the Rachni queen, I expected all further encounters with the race would not be hostile.

Um the Queen tells you specifically WHY they continue to attack and are hostile towards you. Did you miss that?

I DO agree in that I wished some of the choices would matter by the end of the game, but as a planned TRILOGY, everything you do... COULD potentially cause greater consequences in later games. Since ME was not designed as a game the same way MotB was, it only makes sence that the choices you made WILL have effects in later games (Part 2/3). As the devs have already stated.

Pegultagol said:
Finally, choosing to resolve the scandal with the consort allows you to infer some interesting tidbits about the origin of Man, apart from the normal Codex information that often reinforces the Alliance perspective.-

Interesting, I did not know that heh.

RK47

Patron
Meh, just make the guns requiring a reload. Fuck this overheat shit. Infinite ammo, yet reloads are necessary makes combat less of 'left click affair'

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Volourn said:
"The game doesn't even work"

Worked for me. *shrug*
Awesome. You can write the Codex' Mass Effect review then.

Deleted member 7219

I can't believe there was a time when people here actually wanted to ban Volourn.

He's a comic genius, and a Codex treasure.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Well, I'm also looking forward to ME2, for the most part the game was entertaining. I liked the presentation, the main story and the cheesy conversations.I also enjoyed the fact that the story draws so much from popular sci-fi literature. The rachni-queen bit was an obvious reference from the "Ender's Game" novels, Osrson Scott Card is a master of moral dilemmas. Unfortunately, as it was previously mentioned, there are no real consequences in the game , even if some of the choices are interesting.
Since an end-save game was made , I'm hoping that some of the consequences of your actions will be present in ME2 , although that is not very likely.

Of course they should really work on the weak points:
1.Boring combat.
2.More ways to solve missions. You're a fucking Spectre and you can't infiltrate silently a facility or use any sneaking at all. Use hacking skills , ect.
3.No more crappy copy-paste dungeons/planets/sidequests.
4.Actual consequences to your actions.
5.Better inventory system and items. I mean the game just throws at you a bunch of identical weapons and armors, with identical names, fuck!. Also having to go to your squad's lockers in order to change their equipment is stupid.
6.Better support. A lot of people have experienced the overheating bug (including myself) and Bioware has yet to release a patch. Not to mention the annoying "general protection fault" that has probably something to do with sp3 (win2000 compatibility solved the problem). And dynamic shadows are buggy as hell.
7.Longer main quest.

Deleted member 7219

Also, a bigger variety of side quests. This is a trap Bioware games have usually fell in to, but KOTOR had some novel quests. I'd like to see more than just going into the same old mine/ship/lab/barracks and kill the same old geth/biotics/plants/bugs/mercs.

Also, the extra planets were just boring to drive across. I want to see more towns and cities.

And yes, the MQ definitely needs to be longer next time around.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Also the excuse "well you will see consequences in Mass Effect 2" is retarded. It still means that your $50 went for nothing because ME1 won't have any more consequences because of it - and also now it goes to $100 to maybe probably see some consequences in ME2 for which you have to buy both games.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So, it's confirmed that there will be consequences from ME1 in ME2 ?

RK47

Patron
yep you will be $100 short instead of 50 if you bought ME2

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Damn, financial c&c is a pain...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom