Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Imagine being a Fallout fan. lol. lmao even

Said it in another thread recently but I feel like there was nowhere to go for the franchise after Fo1. Fallout was a complete story and the entire setting was created to tell that specific story - humanity destroyed the world, some people survived and had different ideas about how to rebuild, the Master intended to advance the world through genetic engineering and force his own vision upon the future, the Vault Dweller stopped the Master's plans and gave humanity a second chance to save itself... and that's about it.

Fallout ends with humanity being given the chance to build something better, it's not really interesting to see whether they accomplish that or not, because the whole focus of the story was that they should be given the chance, not what they'll end up doing with it. There's nothing to build on from there, nothing meaningful to add, and any thing that does get added just retroactively cheapens Fo1, so the only choice is to reimagine the setting every time to repurpose it for a new story. Hence a weird parody version of the setting in Fo2, a pulp-inspired reimagining in Fo3, and a political drama that feels almost like a different setting at times in NV.

Indeed. Making sequels is almost impossible. Yet, it's interesting to imagine a different kind of mythology developing that makes tabula rasa of certain assumptions. Because people will look at original through the sequels and its meaning gets lost among the noise produced by the canon scholars and the lore compilers.

A Fallout universe without the NCR, without Caesar, without presidents, conscripts, trade deals and territorial borders. A Fallout universe where the world remains doomed. Not a post-apocalyptic sandbox.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I have. It's very gamey, and design wise, the absolute opposite of FO1. Every hub is a "level".
I have never understood why people consider it a bad thing that a video game feels like a video game. What's the opposite of "gamey"? Do you also describe books as "booky"? Also, how exactly is the design of Fallout 2 the opposite of Fallout 1 given that both games share a lot of mechanics and core ideas?

Last edited:

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I've never liked Fallout 2. It feels like a game made by commitee.
Have you even played the game? It was most definitely not designed by a committee.
I have. It's very gamey, and design wise, the absolute opposite of FO1. Every hub is a "level".
That’s not committee design. Areas in the game were created by a team who had different ideas regarding writing and tone etc which is why some areas feel too different from each other. That’s not committee design though

Lemming42

Arcane
I have never understood why people consider it a bad thing that a video game feels like a video game. What's the opposite of "gamey"? Do you also describe books as "booky"? Also, how exactly is the design of Fallout 2 the opposite of Fallout 1 given that both games share a lot of mechanics and core ideas?
It's a tonal thing, the towns in Fo2 don't feel thematically connected, which makes sense since they were worked on by different people. You don't really get anything as jarring as San Fran or New Reno in Fo1, all the towns feel like they're cohesively part of the same world, while in Fo2 every town is a different writers' interpretation of what the setting should be.

Fallout 1's towns all feel like components of a larger adventure, while Fo2 is more like "what will the Chosen One get up to this time in Kung Fu Town/Racist Town/Wild West Town/Seedy Vegas Town/Republican Oil Rig". It's not necessarily a bad thing if you embrace Fo2 for what it's going for, but it's definitely a big difference in design from Fo1.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Todd just took all the bad things from fallout like cringe and humour and left all good things like brutality, grim weirdness, creativity in style and themes and worse that it clings to the old and outdated engine that has problems with adding more mechanical depth. There's really nothing of substance right now, fallout 3, 4, the deeper you go the worse. Fallout 5 will be bigger mess than starfield, expect worst terrible slop, something on the level of netflix chruned trash straight out of mass producing conveyor belt.

Devastator

Learned
El Presidente when he's trying to draw a straight line:
iRl31uM.jpeg

I've always found the first game to be the best because it was short, immersive, and grim. The humor in the second part didn't quite hit the same mark, although it was pretty good. Everything else is a plain pile of shit, and New Vegas is like a pile of shit with a diamond on top.

So I pretty much agree. But I disagree:
  1. About the party bit - you had four non-temporary party members, including the mutt. Sure, there was basically no banter, but Ian would lovingly shoot you in the back to let you know he cared. Not great, not terrible. But that stale bread tastes great compared to Bethesda's composted shit.
  2. Terrible gameplay -- what are you talking about??? A cool world to explore and turn-based combat with rules that are easy to pick up but still fun to experiment with for different builds.

I actually completely forgot about Little Lamplight. Holy fuck that was cancerous.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Fallout 1 was a gold mine to take from with building a believable lore and world. The date was more believable for the setting, although still very far from what would transpire, as civilization wouldn't need more than one generation to back up to speed. Nevertheless, it was a serviceable setting to expand upon. The only thing they had to do is to build the damn lore, show more regions in other games, add more interesting mechanics to combat and rpg aspect. But nope, they went full wacko in the next one and even pushed the date further. I understand that fallout creators are no scientists and most likely were under the spell of the bullshit of nuclear war being apocalypse that would leave us living almost 100 years in squalor, but the reality isn't like that. Still, they could at least think about their behavior and decision when they put the timeline even further, making it completely unbelievable and unimmersive. Instead of deep philosophical chinese-american lore, the ethics of resource consumption, wars, societal change in face of science progress and tyranny which america was becoming before war, we get wacky ghosts, talking rats and other nonsense for 80 iq brainlets and children.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Todd just took all the bad things from fallout like cringe and humour and left all good things like brutality, grim weirdness, creativity

Todd didn't take nothing from OG Fallout. The cringe comes from his own doing, when he turned Fallout into yippee ki yay and explosions (a parody of itself)

therefore no Fallout after Tactics, be it 3 or 4 or New Vegas, will ever be tonally good or artistically good

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Todd just took all the bad things from fallout like cringe and humour and left all good things like brutality, grim weirdness, creativity

Todd didn't take nothing from OG Fallout. The cringe comes from his own adding of yippikayay and explosions

Fallout 2 was cringe and juvenile, Todd just cranked it to the max.

Terenty

Liturgist
I remember reading that Fallout New Vegas was a worthy successor to the original fallouts, playing it and being appalled by how boring and uninspired it was, barely finished it. I thought why is this series so revered then if this game is utter crap?

Then after that I replayed Arcanum for the first time since playing it in 2000 when it came out. It was a masterpiece. Atmosphere, writing, mechanics, characters all unique all memorable.

Then I found out that Fallout 1 was made by practically the same people who made Arcanum and thought ok then fallout 1 should be a masterpiece too.

I played Fallout 1 and, yep, it was a masterpiece. I understood why it was a cult classic

Then I played Fallout 2 and couldn't make it past the first town or smth because the writing was completely retarded.

So the point is, there's only Fallout 1, everything else is garbage and you know it

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yo, stop shitting on Fallout 2.
Christ, this is getting nuts.
How long before you also start shitting on Fallout 1 for some perceived fault or slight 5 years from now?...

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Yo, stop shitting on Fallout 2.
Christ, this is getting nuts.
How long before you also start shitting on Fallout 1 for some perceived fault or slight 5 years from now?...

In normal world newer things are better than old ones, and the further you go forward in future the older stuff gets more and more obsolete. Sadly we live in some inverse world when it comes to many aspects of the game design, with some gems still holding the total overall decline.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Imo the problem with FNV is that the quirkiness that might be a comedic relief in FO1 and particularly FO2 doesn't translate well from an isometric setup to a first person 3D. Say, finding a photo of Elvis on a ufo wreck made me chuckle a bit. Whereas the Kings in FNV - absolutely annoying.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Fallout's dead. All of the things we once loved and looked forward to are dead.

It's just all slop now. Spend your consoomer bucks and shovel some more slop into your mouth like a good boy.

Imo the problem with FNV is that the quirkiness that might be a comedic relief in FO1 and particularly FO2 doesn't translate well from an isometric setup to a first person 3D. Say, finding a photo of Elvis on a ufo wreck made me chuckle a bit. Whereas the Kings in FNV - absolutely annoying.
I just find it ironic that they had an Elvis cult but no Elvis songs on the radio.

Love me some Elvis btw.

havox

Novice
BEHOLD, ISOMETRIC FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS
goodsprings_by_red888guns_dd498mm-pre.jpg
Huh. That looks familiar. Oh yeah:
ss_4f21489daf6260c984eb15ffb2b3cfef327e6c36.jpg

I mean.. I'll play it. Can't be worse than Colony Ship or Atom RPG or WH40k rogue trader or all the other decline getting shoveled out there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom