Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Bethesda inclined?

• Thread starter Deleted member 11480
  • Start date

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Daggerfall was just too ambitious for its time.

I remember installing this while inpatiently looking through a booklet i think it was. After about an hour or so i started it up, finally! Unfortunately the only way my supercomputer (1flop) could cope with it was in slideshow mode. I tried but didnt play this game for very long because of that (and because of oceans of bugs, holy crap the bugs...).

I did buy and play all subsequent installments and mainly played these "open worlds" trying to break the system. Finding ridiculously overpowered items, spell or skill combos, stealing extremely high value shit and becoming a millionaire in a day, murdering entire settlements, going where you are obviously not supposed etc. I vaguely remember finding sturdy elegant fur boots of ludicrous speed somewhere. As such entertainment value was probably highest in Morrowind, mostly because it allowed for such gameplay the most.

Only game i played recently which allowed for a certain amount of game breakage was DOS.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Not sure that Bethesda is inclined....... but it is surely big, with a lot of titles and loadsa money they are not going anywhere for a while and we can expect more Bethesda game in the future for good or for worse.

Gozma

Arcane
One thing you can say for Bethesda: Their games are obviously not made by a publicly traded corporation. Everything is still rough as shit and kinda ~2000 era feeling. Nothing feels trendy at all, and it doesn't feel like labor was partitioned down into tiny units where one guy worked on some minute detail for 6 months. I'm interested to see if the crazy sales of Skyrim change the nature of the company or if they recognize it was a marketing fluke and they should keep making stuff expecting like a fifth of the money Skyrim made.

Although I guess I have zero understanding of what the mmorpg did, if it made money or who actually worked on it or what.

Crevice tab

Savant
Although I guess I have zero understanding of what the mmorpg did, if it made money or who actually worked on it or what.

Zenimax made the RPG not Bethesda proper, it didn't make quite as much money as they expected and it was and is crap. Buggy, poorly designed crap that tried to borrow from as many sources as possible without doing anything original.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Skyrim was trash in every way. Much like Oblivion. Pretty graphics trick people. At least it wasn't worse than Oblivion, as if that is an accomplishment.

They're consistently removing shit with every new game to appeal to more people, they're definitely still declining.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Zenimax made the RPG not Bethesda proper, it didn't make quite as much money as they expected and it was and is crap. Buggy, poorly designed crap that tried to borrow from as many sources as possible without doing anything original.

They wasted a lot of money for content which gets obsolete within a short timeframe, like elaborate (for MMO standards) quests and full voice-over, most of which also doesn't work well in an MMO because it's against the flow and mechanics of an online title.

Turjan

Arcane
They wasted a lot of money for content which gets obsolete within a short timeframe, like elaborate (for MMO standards) quests and full voice-over, most of which also doesn't work well in an MMO because it's against the flow and mechanics of an online title.
Sure, but the initial monetization was more or less set up like for a single-player RPG. Millions of people paid more than $80 right at the start, which may already have been sufficient to get this into the green as far as ROI is concerned.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Sure, but the initial monetization was more or less set up like for a single-player RPG. Millions of people paid more than $80 right at the start, which may already have been sufficient to get this into the green as far as ROI is concerned.

Yes, but the problem is, that it makes expansions equally expensive if you want to maintain production value / coherence e.g. full voice-over. It's also not smart to include phasing in an MMO in a way people can't play together because they are in different world states at the same place and time. FFXIV was imo smarter in its approach to provide a modern WoW clone. They also have VO in four different languages, but it was always restricted to parts of the main quest.

Crevice tab

Savant

The MMO was stupidly designed from the get go. Butcher TES lore, mechanics, exploration and all that other interesting stuff? Sure. Rip off stuff from WoW and other MMOs but without adapting them to the rest of the content? Certainly. Make shitty compromises and have even more bugs than normal TES games? Of course. Original innovation? None whatsoever.

TES:O's design is amateurish and brainless. It is a game that does almost everything worse its competitors without bringing in anything new. I'm actually surprised it got okayed without major changes after the first feedbacks and the beta but corporate thinking eludes me.

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Bethesda is a company who knows perfectly why is famous for and what type of game sell. It's not like other companies BIOWARE HURR DURR that try over and over again different types of game, looking as a ship traveling aimlessy. That said, is a company that does some things very well, and does some other things very bad. They are good creating worlds, some interesting stories, some interesting characters... but everything related with RPG elements is a disaster. The fact that their games are mediocre in terms of technology doesn't help either.

I can't say if they are an incline company or a decline one. The only thing I know is that Bethesda has remained faithful to one style of Action RPG, even if they "destroyed" Fallout in the process. Despite the lack of ambition, I can't see a big diference between the old Bethesda and the new one.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Regardless of the quality of their own games, the success of Skyrim led to the influx of open world design into every goddamn game out there, even if open world design doesn't fit those games at all. So, Bethesda is definitely a harbinger of decline alongside all the other games that - intentionally or no - set trends that get forced into every game afterwards.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes, Bethesda Game Studios is very much inclined. .
FOR ME TO POOP ON!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom