Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

ArchAngel

Arcane
But my criticism for JA3 is mostly because JA3 does not seem to play very similar, it is more like nuXcom compared to UFO.
Except that combat is not abstracted like in nuXcom.
I am not saying it is exactly like nuXcom but it is heavily changed compared to JA2 (for the worse) and I used UFO and nuXcom as example where same shit was done.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Because he started playing JA2 a couple of year ago max. So of course for maximun codex cool points he praises 1.13 in all its modding bloated autist glory. Like most people here didn't play ja2 for decades and 1.13 for nearly as long.
Nah, I played JA2 near release. Didn't play it that much, spent way more time playing UFO. Then I finally tried 1.13 last year and loved it.
But my criticism for JA3 is mostly because JA3 does not seem to play very similar, it is more like nuXcom compared to UFO.
It´s not really like nuxcom compared to UFO since JA3 does have quite a lot of complicated systems under the hood even if sometimes they are half baked.

Let´s not pretend that JA2, 1.13 or not, doesn´t have a whole lot of problems also like gameplay degenerating in prone scoped sniping spam.

Peace out man but it´s kinda is tiresome to get told about a game that I have been playing on and off for 20+ plus years like it´s the second coming of christ, doesn´t have any problems or I don´t know about it. I think that for the majority a people posting in this thread is the same, we already know about Ja2 and 1.13 and perhaps we want something new and slighty different after all this years.
If you are tired of reading my posts you are welcome to not reading or replying. I am not holding a gun to your head.
It is not my fault you like decline games.

NotSweeper

Educated
Smiley might just be the most rage inducing cunt I've ever seen in a vidya... but I fucked over Boss Bro Blaubert cause he's a free merc.
I hate myself.

Yosharian

Arcane
Some of the comments that people said

"he's a murderer" "he goes on a murderous rampage"
"he forces her [the whore] to be with him"
"he's a psychopathic incel" (upvoted)
"I don't remember Blaubert murdering anyone"
"Blaubert is stable"

When I said that Smiley doesn't actually force the whore to be with him, I was accused of being someone that 'stands up for abusing women'

"Blaubert is a horrible piece of shit but at least he respects consent"

Anyway I just thought it was a funny conversation, Smiley is definitely a complete knobhead either way but it was amusing to see people saying that Blaubert, the literal slave owner, was preferable to him

Last edited:

Saduj

Arcane
Smiley might just be the most rage inducing cunt I've ever seen in a vidya... but I fucked over Boss Bro Blaubert cause he's a free merc.
I hate myself.

Oh boy the discussions we had on the Discord about this guy. "He's an incel!"

He was annoying to me until I found out how hated he is and read some of the specific comments about him on Steam. Then I started to like him. Every time I'd hear him, I'd think of how a certain type of person would react and I'd crack a smile. It reached a point where I'd answer him, secretly hoping there was a way his detractors could hear me:

Smiley: I'm like a super cool spy right now.

Saduj: That's right buddy, you sure are!

Smiley: Alejandro Diaz! Brave and noble!

Saduj: Correctomundo on both counts, pal.

Smiley: Let's all walk slow like they do in the movies!

Saduj: Ah, Smiley. Never change!

Edit: And yes I felt bad about betraying Boss Blaubert, at first. But then I thought about how Blaubert's goons attacked me right after I met Smiley. Blaubert was supposed to be my bro and here his goons are trying to kill me without reason. So yeah, fuck that guy.

Humanophage

Arcane
I sided with Blaubert even though I wanted Smiley at first. Smiley ultimately seemed not only too psychotic and low Wisdom to be on the team, but also a race-mixer - and I wanted to save him from this fate worse than death. So I sent Smiley away without bloodshed - so far so good. The problem is, later on, some enemy patrol captured the location and they were stationed on the rooftop of Blobert's mansion. When I approached them, I put Grunty with an SMG on readiness mode, but Blobert's men got upset I was machine gunning in the premises and went aggro on me. So I had to slaughter them all. I also lost the hunter because I accidentally aggro'd the buccaneers and they wouldn't issue the quest on account of being dead.

Dead Blobert, no Smiley :(

Kaidanovsky

Literate
You did it, guys. You finally convinced me to buy the game.

After spending an hour on google trying to figure out how to fix the crash I kept getting at startup, and narrowly avoiding a seizure from the constant screen flashing, I can't wait to get to the meat of the game. I know this is gonna be great. It's not every day that a game that is only fully being released in 2024 wins the 2023 GOTY award.

Humanophage

Arcane
and I wanted to save him from this fate worse than death.
Idk man, Mollie is pretty hot. You sure you ain't gay?
9wvmP4u.png

Mortmal

Arcane
So I finished the main campaign quite fast. The game was overall quite easy and good fun, but it's too easy to break and swimmin in cash there's hardly any ressources management unlike what i remember from JA2. It's not as bad as Rogue Trader, but there are some team compositions I'd rather not reveal to avoid spoiling other people's fun as they discover the game. Also, I don't know why you criticize BG3 for being woke and not this one. The narrative here, after that nice disclaimer warning us about the horrors of the 90's , was 100% woke, glorifying the noble black president, her daughter, an erudite, while the true evil is a white(?!) army colonel, borderline Nazi. There are no choices, as far as I could see, to take sides, and it's really just a modern woke trope story.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
What disclaimer? This one?

FX08wdQ.jpg

How is anything in it woke? Also the story was more campy than woke. Most of the people are black as the location is fictional post colonial West African shithole, all of the random enemies are only african men, so no wahmen soldiers etc. On a scale of wokeness with Original Sin 3, JA3 is 14 out of 88.
I give you that the game piss easy after you get some snipers.

Mortmal

Arcane
What disclaimer? This one?

FX08wdQ.jpg

How is anything in it woke? Also the story was more campy than woke. Most of the people are black as the location is fictional post colonial West African shithole, all of the random enemies are only african men, so no wahmen soldiers etc. On a scale of wokeness with Original Sin 3, JA3 is 14 out of 88.
I give you that the game piss easy after you get some snipers.
Sniper rifle with a silencer - the game is ruined. I see no reason to use anything else, i see no reason to make a melee char, hardly one to get a medic except for some quest. That's not great design. As for the woke part, I'll explain again. Wokeness often involves glorifying minorities, and by minorities, it's always black, not Navajo of course, nice, cultured people , quality people. In this case, the good guys, the president and her daughter, are portrayed as black. As you mentioned, it's a fictive African country. Then, explain to me why the evil character, the colonel who is grandchien military, who leads the Grand Chien army, commits war crimes, and is portrayed as white. Why isn't he black like ALL the others? At least the major, who is the lesser evil and also white, is a foreign mercenary, which makes a little sense. When other developers do the same things, when wotc do exactly the same thing people scream woke. Why should this one get a free pass?

jaekl

Educated
Patron
The real cringe of the game were the news emails where a third of the wartime news update was dedicated to the history of the amazing women of grand chien.

ropetight

Savant
The real cringe of the game were the news emails where a third of the wartime news update was dedicated to the history of the amazing women of grand chien.
Good thing I followed my IRL habbits from work regarding the emails in JA3, I just didn't read them.
Cringe, but somehow accurate of today reporting.
Hard to say if it is woke or satire of woke.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
As for the woke part, I'll explain again. Wokeness often involves glorifying minorities, and by minorities, it's always black, not Navajo of course, nice, cultured people , quality people. In this case, the good guys, the president and her daughter, are portrayed as black. As you mentioned, it's a fictive African country. Then, explain to me why the evil character, the colonel who is grandchien military, who leads the Grand Chien army, commits war crimes, and is portrayed as white. Why isn't he black like ALL the others? At least the major, who is the lesser evil and also white, is a foreign mercenary, which makes a little sense. When other developers do the same things, when wotc do exactly the same thing people scream woke. Why should this one get a free pass?

Because we can find directly from history exactly the same scenarios. Rhodesia, Sierra Leone and countless other African countries could be given as examples. It's mainstream interpretation of history that has the tone of "the whites were in the wrong", this is not some new trait that only the Woke have. Even if we accept Haemimont wanted to push some woke anti-white message, I would say this is the way to do it. Hide the message behind something that is plausible- White war criminal leading an military group in Africa? Plausible even if cliche and on the nose. Black, Asian, gay, trans tolkienesque dwarfs living together with Black, Asian,gay, trans elfs, humans and daemons ? Impossible even if it's fantasy world.

destinae vomitus

Educated
Sniper rifle with a silencer - the game is ruined. I see no reason to use anything else, i see no reason to make a melee char
Uhuh, how about we compare and contrast my melee IMP with my dedicated stealth sniper from my last playthrough, can you guess which one was an overpowered one man army? :lol:
GG2PVLT.jpeg
F5bD47t.jpeg

Hellraiser

Arcane
After using Blood a lot the I am really considering going with one-man stealth machete rape gang for my second playthrough of this on my IMP merc.

Although Blood has a ridiculously OP unique active skill which helps. Not sure if anyone else has anything as ridiculously good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom