Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

revani

Novice
This game is crack. Most fun I'm having with a tactics game since Long War.

Also has the best tutorial I've ever seen. Teaches you pretty much everything within the first island, no instructions whatsoever. You are a team of overpowered mercs, figure that shit out. I love it.

After a trial run (which I stopped mostly because Livewire is fucking annoying), I started my first real playthrough with Igor, Kalyna, Buns, Grunty, demo/leadership IMP and later Ivan. Igor is great. Overpowered fighter for what he costs. Kalyna is a nutjob but her ability is really good. Modding can be heavy on the parts without a real mechanic tho. Buns is nice, her narcissism can get boring when it's not funny. Ivan we all love. But I don't get how he likes Grunty cause that guy is a fucking creep. Still an absolute monster with the LMG.

I'm playing with the hardest difficulty settings excluding the advanced rules, and it never felt unfair. It has been feeling a bit too easy after a while I would even say, to a point where I started acting careless and it almost bit me in the ass here and there. But the strategical part isn't going great. I started training militias too late (fortunately Barry is a beast defending an attack), and I think it was a mistake to go to the nearest mine first. It takes a while to get that Fleatown loyalty up. This game definitely requires some meta knowledge, but it's clearly not meant to be played once.

I'll take a break from this run and start a new one. Will go to northern mine this time. It seems possible to solo the first island with a leadership/wisdom/melee IMP. That means you have shitload of money and a high level, high wisdom merc in your hands after the first island (and later on a militia training machine). Don't know if I have the time to sperg for that but we'll see. This game is fun so it may be worth it. I'm also considering to play with Body Count. I'm curious if anyone tried it. Do you get more loot? Does it get repetitive?

revani

Novice
New setting
Gz4aJOm.png

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I wonder what Lilura thinks of it.

Come on man, you already know this. "The game is a feeble cuck attempt at even reaching the brilliance of the best crpg of all time, Jagged Alliance 2. It is not worth mentioning in the pantheon of masterpieces made by the great intellectual of the golden era. You see, as the culture declines, no one injects any form of thought or intellect in game design. You only get shades of it, at best. And so arghluahgluahgluah. Check out my blog, and if you disagree, then you're some kind of fucking idiot, because it has a lot of views."

NotSweeper

Educated
I wonder what Lilura thinks of it.

Come on man, you already know this. "The game is a feeble cuck attempt at even reaching the brilliance of the best crpg of all time, Jagged Alliance 2. It is not worth mentioning in the pantheon of masterpieces made by the great intellectual of the golden era. You see, as the culture declines, no one injects any form of thought or intellect in game design. You only get shades of it, at best. And so arghluahgluahgluah. Check out my blog, and if you disagree, then you're some kind of fucking idiot, because it has a lot of views."
Lilura?

revani

Novice
This is Cool Gal
EsmFvzB.png

UFZqDFR.png

She soloed up until Rust bunker in less than an hour. Hardest difficulty settings + Body Count and Heavy Wounds (or whatever the name was, makes it so that the wounds give debuff - applies to enemies too). First try, no sperging needed.

It's quite cheesy: the main strategy is sneaking up to an enemy, failing a stealth kill attempt and proceeding to kill him with an interrupt melee attack as he tries to run away. Then cleaning up the remaining few by abusing line of sight. Marauders don't die with 2 dagger attacks sometimes, but they usually can't ditch 30 damage either (max grit). I always cut off their dicks for the -4 AP but attacking the arms would also be reasonable I think.

Only got wounds on the second map. The sniper has two goons near him with Body Count, and they ended up flanking me after my only successful stealth kill. Once I got the skill that gives you 15 grit on melee attack, the rest went quite ez so far. Bunker might end up being a mess with Body Count on, I'm afraid of wounds giving me too many debuffs and leg shots making me unable to escape. I had to kill a guy by throwing two daggers to the chest once because of movement penalty from a leg attack, it was badass tho.

Think I need to hire an explosives expert for the Dee Dee map after this tho. I haven't thought about the actual team composition at all. Enabled the game rule that makes the mercs always online and also the one that decreases the starting cost of Elites and Veterans. I got 50k in the bank, so the options are plenty. I'll go for Vicki this time, not a big fan of rookie mechanics. And at some point Raider will join when I'm ready to park the IMP.

Sentinel

Arcane
Hmm, might have to break my rule of waiting for an 80% sale for this game.
https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/jagged-alliance-3-pc-steam
Meh, kinda feel like you shouldn't be resorting to grey-market sites for games like these. Devs are very passionate and deserve the recognition, and the only one that counts is $$$.

I say this as a regular user of CDKeys btw.

Use https://gg.deals/game/jagged-alliance-3/ to monitor prices on official stores.

Kaidanovsky

Literate
Probably the wrong place to ask, but has anyone played this on the PS5? I'm too lazy to get off the couch. Does playing with a controller feel like a chore?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I hope they at some point realize that they need to nerf the sniper rifles and buff up the automatics.

spectre

Arcane
I really don't understand why people dislike this game
Too much rpg in my tactical game.
Also: fuck scramble turns and whoever thinks it is a good idea.

I could probably sperg all day about the mechanical depth being underwhelming, the spiel basically as old as jagged alliance itself - them's some darn big shoes to fill, not to mention 1.13 sets a pretty high bar,
but what it really boils down to: the mechanical systems just feel too game-ified, as though every modern turn based game needs to be turned into an excum.

Kaidanovsky

Literate
I really don't understand why people dislike this game
Too much rpg in my tactical game.
Also: fuck scramble turns and whoever thinks it is a good idea.

I could probably sperg all day about the mechanical depth being underwhelming, the spiel basically as old as jagged alliance itself - them's some darn big shoes to fill, not to mention 1.13 sets a pretty high bar,
but what it really boils down to: the mechanical systems just feel too game-ified, as though every modern turn based game needs to be turned into an excum.

How much RPG is that? How does it compare to a really good RPG, like, let's say, BG3?

revani

Novice
We all know how this ends
zpVzLvi.png

^ NOT an accurate representation of Body Count by the way. Up until this fight, I played through the tutorial island + the red diamond port and the mine. The amount of enemies and the challenge they presented were reasonable.

The biggest challenge has been going in blindly and getting sucker-punched by the game. Not that I complain, I asked for this by playing in ironman mode. Though sometimes, not being able to predict how a mechanic will work can be annoying.

I knew I had to approach Red Diamond stealthily because I had map note about how the slavemaster would attack the slaves (and I remembered from locals talking about it in my previous playthrough. protip: talk to villagers). But as I was sneaking to scout the map, going under the bridge triggered a cutscene. It was at night and I wasn't under spotlights. Fortunately I could retreat, so it only costed one dead slave and a few meds to heal 3 wounds from a 83 damage sniper shot (that part was careless on my end).

But I like the game making me adjust my plans with stuff like Biff or N-Night. Adds to the difficulty and stops the game from getting dull.

edit:
tTMuCUv.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom