Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It is one of the better games we got this year. It has some issues but still better than BG3 and other so called "rpgs". Hell, it even has better quests and C&C.
Codex being Codex and crying about trivial things as usual.

Old One

Arcane
Is there a way to set explosives manually without throwing them? If not, that's a problem. I should be able to sneak around and plant my charges, then detonate them from a safe distance.

spectre

Arcane
Is there a way to set explosives manually without throwing them? If not, that's a problem. I should be able to sneak around and plant my charges, then detonate them from a safe distance.

I only saw a remote trigger lying around, but never gotten round to testing how it works. Well, judging from the video, that's the only way about it.
Huemimont... how do you even fail at simple shit like this?

pm_675

Arbiter
I only saw a remote trigger lying around, but never gotten round to testing how it works. Well, judging from the video, that's the only way about it.
Huemimont... how do you even fail at simple shit like this?
I think he means to plant the explosives instead of having to throw them like a grenade, in wich case no you can´t.

Old One

Arcane
Yes. As far as I can tell, the only way to use explosives, regardless of whether they're timed, or proximity or remote detonated, is to throw them where you want them like a grenade. There doesn't seem to be a way to plant explosives without throwing them. This is bad for a whole lot of reasons.

raeven

Educated
Yes. As far as I can tell, the only way to use explosives, regardless of whether they're timed, or proximity or remote detonated, is to throw them where you want them like a grenade. There doesn't seem to be a way to plant explosives without throwing them. This is bad for a whole lot of reasons.

why is it bad? Is there a functional difference between 'planting' and 'throwing a short distance' that is meaningful from a gameplay perspective?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

why is it bad? Is there a functional difference between 'planting' and 'throwing a short distance' that is meaningful from a gameplay perspective?
Yes. It's the difference between lobbing a grenade on your turn and setting off C-4 when you are ready x turns later and way out of grenade tossing range.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

Yes. It's the difference between lobbing a grenade on your turn and setting off C-4 when you are ready x turns later and way out of grenade tossing range.
What's the difference between planting C4 then setting it off later, and throwing C4 then setting it off later?

spectre

Arcane

What's the difference between planting C4 then setting it off later, and throwing C4 then setting it off later?
If you check the video I linked, when he throws the C4, it triggers the whole enemy scramble turn shenanigans. Basically, it seems to count as an attack as far as AI is concerned.
Perhaps it's possible to do it stealthily (which would be the point), but seems really counter intuitive. Can't be bothered to test it, so perhaps someone with the game on hand can clarify.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Throwing is louder

pm_675

Arbiter

When I used explosives it was exactly like a grenade throw. It doesn´t land exactly where you want. I think, actually I didn´t use to much explosives between rng and the far superior 40 mm HE

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
What's the deal with the patches. Can i install them and continue playing the started game or they will disrupt the saves? Also, is it enough to install that latest "Buns" patch or need all that came before?

Old One

Arcane

Throwing is louder

Not only is it louder, you have to stand up and exit stealth in order to throw anything other than knives. Enemies also tend to notice when an explosive charge flies through the air and lands anywhere near them.

I remember in Silent Storm, if you had the stealth and the patience, you could plant charges all around a multi-story building, then detonate them so they would go off in chain and demolish the entire structure. If you did it right, parts of the roof might collapse all the way down into the basement.

Modron

Arcane
I remember one mission in SS where I couldn't find 1 piece of intel needed to finish the mission in a big multistory lets say multiuse workhouse for lack of a better word so I picked up every grenade I could find and chucked them at the first floor walls and then took out the remaining support with gunfire until it all came crumbling down to see that the intel came tumbling down from the attic. I reloaded went up there and shot some crates to see that it had randomly been placed in a spot it couldn't be seen without some "renovation".

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
I remember one mission in SS where I couldn't find 1 piece of intel needed to finish the mission in a big multistory lets say multiuse workhouse for lack of a better word so I picked up every grenade I could find and chucked them at the first floor walls and then took out the remaining support with gunfire until it all came crumbling down to see that the intel came tumbling down from the attic. I reloaded went up there and shot some crates to see that it had randomly been placed in a spot it couldn't be seen without some "renovation".
And in sentinels you had a mission where you'd lose the Intel if you set off any of the joint traps in the building.

agris

Arcane
Patron
One day, in the world of self driving electric cars, hypersonic flight, and phones that are orders of magnitude more computationally powerful than what humans went to the moon with, we will have a tactics game that rivals the environmental destruction seen in Silent Storm.

Which was released in 2003, two decades ago

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
One day, in the world of self driving electric cars, hypersonic flight, and phones that are orders of magnitude more computationally powerful than what humans went to the moon with, we will have a tactics game that rivals the environmental destruction seen in Silent Storm.

Unless they can teach ChatGPT to program it, I'd give up on that dream. :lol:

The next generation of programmers won't even be able to articulate what you're talking about in a design document, much less code it.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

I wish they would make a tactics game using the Teardown engine.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Unless they can teach ChatGPT to program it, I'd give up on that dream. :lol:

The next generation of programmers won't even be able to articulate what you're talking about in a design document, much less code it.
I guess someone that wants a new Silent Storm will need to buy source code for SS and let AI go through it and learn how to do it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1084160/view/3807291311721183087

A Ballad of Guns and Things: Bobby Ray's Online Store Opens Up in Patch 1.3
150e53b50dce7b0c6342191a1ca5b82664576ac7.png

A Ballad of Guns and Things: Bobby Ray's Online Store Opens Up in Jagged Alliance 3's Patch 1.3

Sofia, Bulgaria / Vienna, Austria, November 9th, 2023: In just one week, Jagged Alliance 3 will launch on Xbox and PlayStation. However, today, developer Haemimont Games is releasing exciting new (free) content for the PC version.

We are delighted to announce the expansion of Bobby Ray's Guns and Things to a new business region in Grand Chien! This means that the world's most notorious online store is now accessible in Jagged Alliance 3. For mercenary commanders who can pay upfront, the store offers a wide range of weapons, ammunition, and professional mercenary equipment, both new and used. Rest assured, a bulletproof vest remains effective even after taking a few hits*. The courageous delivery team at Bobby Ray's is ready to dispatch your order to any port along the western coast of the Adjani valley!

In addition to Patch 1.3, we'd like to highlight a crucial aspect of Jagged Alliance 3: The Soundtrack. We invite you to lend us your eyes - and your ears - and discover how the esteemed composer George Strezov breathed life into the world of Jagged Alliance 3 with its incredible music.

Full patch notes for patch 1.3: https://thqnordic.com/article/jagged-alliance-3-patch-13-vicky

*neither Bobby Ray's Guns and Things, THQ Nordic, nor Haemimont Games will be liable for any lost hitpoints. The use of second-hand equipment is at your own mercenary's risk.

Jagged Alliance 3 is already available for PC at an SRP of $ 44.99 / € 44.99 / 39.99 £.
A free playable demo is available on Steam. It allows players to explore Ernie Island, the starting region of the game.

And if you visit our website, you can browse through all of our Mercs - check it out: https://www.jaggedalliance.com/

Already done with the Campaign and looking for new content to beef up the game? Check out what the amazing modding community has achieved in only a couple of days: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1084160/workshop/

If you want to learn more about the game, make sure to follow on social media or discuss with other fans in the forums or on Discord:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jaggedalliancegame/
Forums: https://community.jaggedalliance.com/
Discord: https://discord.gg/jaggedalliance

Enjoy & stay tuned!

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't see how it would, unless you're suggesting it'll let you get good weapons too early. This game needs a moneysink if you elect not to hire the most expensive mercs, which if you're playing optimally you wouldn't.

Anyway, implementation notwithstanding, this update is clearly a direct response to players whining about no shop. I think that's pretty lame. If the devs didn't want to include Bobby Ray's in the game they should have enough backbone to stick with their decision.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom