Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Jagged Alliance: Flashback Kickstarter confirmed

MCA
Well it's not that there are no "New Content/Map" mods out there ;)

And they all have the same strategic map template as it's the one thing that couldn't have been modified all these years because it was hardcoded. It gets boring after a while, no matter how many different mods you play.

I would only ask for them to implement the features in the base game and extreme moddability.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Oh well, at least some of the commentators point out that this could easily be a shovelware cashgrab.

Someone who has an account at RPS, bring up the multiplatform fact and announce that it'll suck donkey balls.

This is using the Unity engine. All the multi-platform support is built in.

spectre

Arcane
villain of the story said:
And they all have the same strategic map temple as it's the one thing that couldn't have been modified all these years because it was hardcoded. It gets boring after a while, no matter how many different mods you play.

I would only ask for them to implement the features in the base game and extreme moddability.
Seconding the latter.
As to the former, yeah, that's another issue. However, I remember the reworked maps in Urban Chaos felt very refreshing, even though the major cities were pretty much in the same places.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Oh well, at least some of the commentators point out that this could easily be a shovelware cashgrab.

Someone who has an account at RPS, bring up the multiplatform fact and announce that it'll suck donkey balls.

This is using the Unity engine. All the multi-platform support is built in.
Indeed. Except when it comes to the GUI and controls. Whether they have to support touch screens or console controllers, it's :decline:

spectre

Arcane
which is another reason why I'm not too keen on this new kickstarter thing, as whatever they make, it won't have the depth of 1.13

Bro it's a kickstarter by bitComposer, whatever they make it won't have the depth of JA1.
Whoa whoa whoa, is it actually by ShitComposer (they're from Germany iirc, so dunno if they are eligible for kickstarter) or by Full Control?
Because it makes one hell of a difference.

(As a tangent, seems like the codex has given ShitComposer a pass for the turd that was Back in action, seeing as we've recently given Chaos Chronicles a place to stay hereabouts. As for me... nevar forget!)

Jashiin

Arcane
If only for making BIA the way they did they deserve not a cent more from their license. Also you can forget drm free with this one, expect shadowrun type bullshit further along in the campaign. Damn even if it's good they don't deserve money for this.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
BitComposer is a publisher. They hold the rights to JA. The Chaos Chronicles guys were the studio that BitComposer hired to make Back In Action and they've already said that BiA was affected by executive meddling, plus they are singing a whole different tune with Chaos Chronicles. However, I have no trust with Full Control, seeing as their track list is pretty much shit and BitComposer is in the picture. Why the fuck would anyone want to donate for a publisher-involved Kickstarter in the first place. All the people who don't know about the details, probably.

circ

Arcane
I don't think any amount of executive meddling could make for one thing - character portraits so hideous. To name but one problem.

Stop excusing shit. Maybe they'll improve this time around, I dunno.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Executive meddling was the reason for RTwP system and "make it accessible! Fog of war is not accessible!". BitComposer also set the budget, which meant using an engine that doesn't easily support environment that can be destroyed and that sort of stuff. Portraits were their own fault, most likely.

The screenshots for CC look so much better than BiA ever did, it's scary amazing.

spectre

Arcane
I don't think any amount of executive meddling could make for one thing - character portraits so hideous. To name but one problem.
That one's fairly simple to explain. They only have two base meshes, one for each gender, and they just slap different hair, texture color, hats and stuffies on top to differentiate between characters.
I think they came clean at some point that they simply bought the char models online, I imagine they were already rigged and animated and they didn't have the resources (or want) to process them any further.
Proper facegen would probably kill their budget.

Still, that one pales in comparison to the dumbfuckery they pulled with fog of war, claiming that (paraphrasing from memory): fog of war isn't necessary in a game which is set on a modern battlefield cause drones with cameras are dirt cheap and you can have a full view of the area of operations with little effort.

EDIT: Lack of destructibles is most likely due to budget cuts, again. It's easy to do so in predefined locations, but full destructibility takes time and effort. Still, I was really impressed with how half-assed their implementation was. Two designated points for planting explosives per map, now really...

MetalCraze

Arcane
Whoa whoa whoa, is it actually by ShitComposer (they're from Germany iirc, so dunno if they are eligible for kickstarter) or by Full Control?
Because it makes one hell of a difference.
They didn't sell rights to JA. Obviously it's another shitty studio since the previous rapists are now doing crappy pseudo-RPG.

seems like the codex has given ShitComposer a pass for the turd that was Back in action
Codex in general doesn't give a crap about Jagged Alliance bro. TB tactics for most people here start and end with XCom. Perhaps even the new one. That's why they don't see a problem with shitty devs raping JA twice - they have nothing to compare it to.

Executive meddling was the reason for RTwP system and "make it accessible! Fog of war is not accessible!". BitComposer also set the budget, which meant using an engine that doesn't easily support environment that can be destroyed and that sort of stuff. Portraits were their own fault, most likely.

What a bullshit. Yes publishers just sit in there making shit engines and portraits themselves while devs do exactly what?
Just bring coffee to suits writing lines of C++ code? :lol:

You hipster retards are amusing.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
seems like the codex has given ShitComposer a pass for the turd that was Back in action
Codex in general doesn't give a crap about Jagged Alliance bro. TB tactics for most people here start and end with XCom. Perhaps even the new one.
Then why do they keep bringing it up in GRPGD because it has stats and you talk to people so it's an RPG? You could at least pretend you are not full of shit

Lorica

Educated

What a bullshit. Yes publishers just sit in there making shit engines and portraits themselves while devs do exactly what?
Just bring coffee to suits writing lines of C++ code? :lol:

You hipster retards are amusing.

You illiterates are amusing.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Then why do they keep bringing it up in GRPGD because it has stats and you talk to people so it's an RPG? You could at least pretend you are not full of shit
They? 3.5 hipsters who don't even know that JA2 isn't really an RPG but want to be hip?
They keep bringing it up so much most commented threads are about shitty kickstarters from InXile (a studio that did nothing but awful console shit) and Obsidian (another shit dev that can only copy Bioware). Those fucking high standards man.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Skyway, you do realize that when Bitcomposer sets the budget, it means that the devs cannot just buy CryEngine3, no matter how much they want. Or whatever engine. Everything about BiA screams half-assed effort with minimal budget. We can of course always blame the devs for taking a shitty deal instead of going bankrupt with their moral principles intact.

Codex in general doesn't give a crap about Jagged Alliance
Lol. Take your meds.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Garfunkel said:
Skyway, you do realize that when Bitcomposer sets the budget, it means that the devs cannot just buy CryEngine3, no matter how much they want.
You mean... the devs actually had to use their own (lack of) skills to write that shit engine? So talented.
I'm glad to know that you think there are only shit engines and CryEngine 3 bro. You are not narrowminded.

Everything about BiA screams half-assed effort with minimal budget.
Half-assed effort is dev's fault bro.
Battlefront has even less money than shitcomposter but somehow games they make don't suck and push the envelope of wargaming instead.

We can of course always blame the devs for taking a shitty deal instead of going bankrupt with their moral principles intact.
Yes because all devs are poor talented flowers who can make only great games, not half-assed efforts, and publishers just have to come and constantly ruin everything that is great about their games. I guess that explains why indies have never released a single good game, just a non-stop steam of hipster diarrhea. Must be evil publishers!

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I'm glad to know that you think there are only shit engines and CryEngine 3 bro. You are not narrowminded.
It was merely an example of an expensive engine that supports all kinds of stuff. AFAIK, they didn't write their engine but bought an existing one.

Half-assed effort is dev's fault bro.
Battlefront has even less money than shitcomposter but somehow games they make don't suck and push the envelope of wargaming instead.
Yeah, agreed but their games don't have to attract the common "gamers", the way BitComposer wanted BiA to attract. They failed, which is why they are now using KS to fund a niche product, a TBS. That's probably going to be shit in any case, because they are thinking of tablets and probably minimal budget as well and modern gamers need hand holding and JA2 was so obtuse and difficult and all that - because the suits at Bitcomposer can't help themselves.

Yes because all devs are poor talented flowers who can make only great games, not half-assed efforts, and publishers just have to come and constantly ruin everything that is great about their games. I guess that explains why indies have never released a single good game, just a non-stop steam of hipster diarrhea.
My original post was a reply to spectre to just explain the situation, not to defend all devs are precious flowers. Why you have to turn the dial up to ELEVEN!!1! is a mystery to me. As for good/decent indie stuff, Frozen Synapse was pretty good.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Full Control said:
The 3D part as well, for example, is a modern take on the formula. It’s not always necessary but people like to be able to rotate the camera and see things from a different angle.

The restrictions of the time. Like 2d graphics. Everything would have been made 3d. And rotatable. If only it would have been possible.

MetalCraze

Arcane
It was merely an example of an expensive engine that supports all kinds of stuff. AFAIK, they didn't write their engine but bought an existing one.
Engine is just a tool, sometimes it's limited (like CryEngine 3 which supports nothing but graphics) sometimes it's better - in the end it's all about what the developer makes with it.
And JA BiA devs were just shit at whatever engine they had.

Yeah, agreed but their games don't have to attract the common "gamers", the way BitComposer wanted BiA to attract. They failed, which is why they are now using KS to fund a niche product, a TBS.
They failed so hard they raped it once more with JA Crossfire. Same shitty devs too.

My original post was a reply to spectre to just explain the situation, not to defend all devs are precious flowers. Why you have to turn the dial up to ELEVEN!!1! is a mystery to me. As for good/decent indie stuff, Frozen Synapse was pretty good.
No bro. You started your "evil publishers just ruin shit" like publishers don't want their game to sell so they will just come and make sure it has retarded AI, edgy annoying writing with "fucks", ugly amateur graphics - like it was the case with BIA.
It's about as much publisher's fault as it's dev's fault. Publishers just order stuff, devs actually develop it. Surprise.

And Frozen Synapse - good? That dumbed down cheap piece of trash where you can just move and attack in copypasta levels without even basic textures? That is even simpler than Laser Squad for ZX Spectrum? It just proves that publishers are needed to make sure there are production values present.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
You started your "evil publishers just ruin shit" like publishers
I stated that the publisher wanted the RTwP in and FoW out when it comes to BiA. I didn't say anything about AI, writing or graphics. Stop stuffing that strawman, Skyway.

And Frozen Synapse - good? That dumbed down cheap piece of trash where you can just move and attack in copypasta levels
So you only played the first two levels. Good to know.

The_scorpion

Liturgist
Well it's not that there are no "New Content/Map" mods out there ;)

I will be definitely getting back to them at some point in the future, though it'll take some time and effort sifting through the bear pit just to find the version of 1.13 that's less fucked. Not to mention, my German is barely enough to trade insults and order Wurst, so I won't get much use of the official Renegade Republik forums.

An official german-speaking RR forum? i as the creator of that mod should know about it, if it existed. Care to share a link? thx

as for refreshing mods, try your hands at Ja1/2 metavira made by the Night Ops Team. Reading all that you wrote ITT, i'd suggest to play it on novice mode, though.

and for the kickstarter... man am i happy to have resisted the urge to add hammers and sickles to any of the RR logos (ingame, there might be a few red stars and such... c'mon, there was simply no way around it)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom