Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Josh Sawyer appreciation station

Beans00

Augur
Who gives a fuck about his personal life? He's a dipshit living in california obviously he's going to be a tard.

The only thing I care about; Does he make good quality games?

Icewind dale and HOW are whatever. I've been replaying it co op with a friend and enjoying it more co op than single player. Still nothing special though
IWD 2 sucked, sorry to say. Haven't played it since like 2004 so maybe it's better then I remember.
nwn 2 was absolute garbage.
alpha protocol sucked
FNV I liked, although I recognize the inherent problems with the engine. The DLCs all sucked except honest hearts.
POE1 was mediocrity personified. Maybe 10% of the game was interesting content, the rest was either filler, or bad. The games systems were also terrible.
POE 2 was one of the worst games I have ever played, which is why it failed to even outsell TOEE. https://www.dsogaming.com/news/pill...d-110k-copies-worldwide-until-september-2018/ Pathetic sales numbers lol.
No idea what pentiment or gauntlet seven sorrows are.

So he made 1 mediocre game, IWD(which he wasn't the lead on). Then he made 1 good game, FNV(which had garbage dlcs). All his other games have been bad.

Also if anyone is wondering, someone apparently told me J Sawyer has been dumped so many times and now spends all his money on camgirl and onlyfans. That's actually pretty funny.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Avellone looks way better, even though he went through a rough patch.
Talks with fans and other gamers/clarifies stuff about his games, etc.
Josh looks like he's about to get his face tattooed, change his gender anyday now and go fight the patriarchy or some shit...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Listen. When the DLCs are the ONLY good things about the game then it's not a positive on anyone's resume.
Same-engine sequels and DLC can turn out better than the base game because they can focus entirely on design with all the feedback they've received.

ferratilis

Magister
Not always true. Actually, I'd say White March is an outlier when it comes to DLC in modern RPGs. PoE2 had weak DLCs except for Forgotten Sanctum, but even that was too short. Wasteland 3 had terrible DLCs imo. Both Pathfinders had mediocre DLCs compared to the base game (Varnhold was decent though). We won't get an expansion that trumps the original game, the way MotB did, anytime soon.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Listen. When the DLCs are the ONLY good things about the game then it's not a positive on anyone's resume.
Same-engine sequels and DLC can turn out better than the base game because they can focus entirely on design with all the feedback they've received.
My point is that if the base game is that bad, good dlcs are nothing to write home about. Then you have to wade through hours upon hours of shit for a few flawed gems of gameplay.

How is that sort of delivery or development praiseworthy? They should have known what made a good fucking RPG before they did this game. They're a fucking RPG company.

More than flawed gems, White March feels like what POE should've been, they are legit better than what we got. And they are already in the 40-50 hour front, with the two of them included.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That doesn't make sense though, first game had a lot of problems that can explained by having a lot of conflicting stretch goals that don't really glue the game together.
The Owners were responsible for those stretch goals.

Stretch goals: I don't know, I wasn't involved with the KS stretch goal decisions (I did weigh in on companion design, but those were guidelines, not mandates, and they weren't followed consistently). I did help out with press contacts (I got Josh the interview on NPR, for example).

I do recall Josh complaining about the "two big cities" stretch goal and he said that came from the owners, but I had no part in, or was aware of, that decision. Often, the "owners" were "an" owner or Parker and Feargus in tandem coming to their latest brilliant decision, but the problem becomes everyone else at the company believes such decisions were a group "owners" decision, which is really confusing when someone is in your office (like Josh was) blaming it on the collective and you go silent b/c you have no idea what the fuck he's talking about.

And they were also responsible for decisions like "You should have chosen Eric." Stapling three different pitches together instead of choosing the strongest one? Feargus/Parker.

Deadfire though, seems to be entirely on Soyer.

Ahem.
F-dpRScbwAA6wLZ.jpg:small

(but Owner-level fumbles on Deadfire include full voice-over decided in mid-production and insisting on ship to ship combat)

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I mean, first Kickstarter's sudden popularity must've caught everybody off guard, people were just making shit up on the spot.

I'd side with Feargus with the other stuff. No ship combat in a pirate game would have been criminal, it's Sawyer's job to make that part of gameplay fun and interesting. Same with VO, we may not like it but that's the market now. But no amount of VO can save atrocious writing and boring plot.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No ship combat in a pirate game would have been criminal, it's Sawyer's job to make that part of gameplay fun and interesting.
It wasn't a pirate game. :)

Knights of the Old Republic had that annoying shooting minigame and a lot of people were grateful when Chris Avellone got rid of it in the sequel.

Same with VO, we may not like it but that's the market now.

It is not.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...cting-to-compete-with-bg3.149866/post-8920621
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...cting-to-compete-with-bg3.149866/post-8920880
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...cting-to-compete-with-bg3.149866/post-8922044

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It's a game set in a tropical archipelago. You get a ship and are attacked by pirates. You get quests to go out and kill pirates. One of the joinable factions is a pirate gang.

"Not a pirate game."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom