Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KC'S NV GPT

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Kingcomrade's New Vegas Gameplay Tips

I'm just gonna write stuff.

9mm ammo is for recycling at a bench into .357 ammo. Rifles are better than pistols (the whole point of pistols is supposed to be lower AP for lower damage, right? not in NV. cowboy rifle costs 22 AP, .357 pistol costs 20)
10mm pistols and smgs are way better than they were in FO3

Good Natured trades points in 5 skills of which you probably won't use 3 or 4 for points in 5 skills you will
Small Frame only sucks in hardcore mode

Get lockpick and science and speech up to 50 asap.
Getting barter up is also a good option since there's a ton of barter dialog options.

The best armor, as far as I can tell, is reinforced leather. Everything else is too damn heavy. The best hat is boone's hat as far as I can tell.

Explosives rock early game, even with low skill levels. Just make sure you use VATS instead of throwing them yourself. You'll find tons of dynamite early on, so go ahead and use it against ranged enemies.
Shotguns in this game suck, even with a buff mod I have. Service rifle is also disappointingly weak even at low levels.

Black Widow and Confirmed Bachelor are good early game perks when the ones available to you are shit. The VATS accuracy perks aren't that great because generally you're using the sights at long range to shoot ranged enemies, or they are running in your face. Crit strike perks are excellent.

Use drugs and magazines when you need them, there's no use storing them up for late game because then your stats will be really high anyway.

Things Worth Crafting:
Party Mentats- The ingredients are super easy to find, +4 Charisma over normal Mentats and I hear it's bugged so you can stack Mentats with Party Mentats. It's whiskey, mentats, and honey mesquite pod so pick up mesquite pods as you go.

Slasher- Same as mentats, this is Psycho++. It gives DR in addition to the damage bonus. The ingredient you need is the banana cactus food, so pick those up as you go, too.

.357 ammo- Might as well do something with all that 9mm ammo you get

In general the foods aren't worth the effort because they require you to find a billion ingredients, and you can just spam stimpaks in combat and otherwise sleep for an hour. If you're not using a mod then repair kits are good too.

Mods I recommend:
Shotgun performance buff
Cazador nerf (seriously what was up with them)
VATS buff (I use the 50% one, so that vats is not useless farther than point blank)
Realistic Repair (Pretty much so scrap metal->replacement parts)
Durability Buff (I don't use this one but I recommend it. Guns don't break THAT easy)
Oven Mod (makes ovens work like campfires)
I can't remember the others I use.

I found a big book of science, gives you permanent 3+ science.
I'm assuming there are more of those big books.

Q: Is there a way to turn dirty water into purified water?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
There are four permanent skill boost books for each skill. This means that the perk that buffs them equates a fifth book, which is all fun and games since you don't really have much worthwhile when you take the perk (and the +20 bonus for magazines is really good).

Deneidez

Educated
SimpleComplexity said:
Q: Is there a way to turn dirty water into purified water?
Yes, campfire&survive skill(Mass purified water or something like that.).

Uh... 4 magazines? So you can easily max all skills, because theres also way to get all your SPECIALs up by one.

Aye, good to know.

Vaarna_Aarne said:
There are four permanent skill boost books for each skill.
I've seen about 50 % of the map but only found 1 of those books. I think it has to do with that i didn't even knew they existed in the first place.

SoupNazi

Oh, there's a Cazador nerf mod? Good, I'm tired of getting raped by them even on level 20 and with Boone at my back. I don't know why would you want to buff VATS - I don't use that at all unless something stupid like a Cazador gets up close range. The gun mechanics & ironsights in NV are far better than in F3 so you don't really need VATS.

Vaarna_Aarne

Deneidez said:
Uh... 4 magazines? So you can easily max all skills, because theres also way to get all your SPECIALs up by one.
No, not possible. I have a max skill points build, and I'm still going to have no invested points in Melee, Energy Weapons, Survival, Sneak and Barter. Though I might have something left over a few points increase for Barter. I could have raised more useful skills, but I can't make a Fallout character who doesn't punch people in the face and shoot missiles at things.

Nitpick: They're books. Magazines are temporary boosts (+10 or +20) that are essentially for passing checks you weren't prepared for and can't/won't delay making.

EDIT: The books are pretty deviously hidden a lot of the time as well. I eventually caved in and started checking for book locations when I was completely befuddled as to where to look. I half-expected to be tripping on the damn things like in Bethout.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
20031008THawk04N.jpg

Anything less than buttrape is a disservice.

Relay

Educated
Shotguns in this game suck, even with a buff mod I have.

Brenneke.jpg

Shotguns are unsuited against armored targets if you're not using one of those.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
This game can get pretty fucking hard, it's satisfying. Maybe it's because I'm retarded at playing first person shooters tho, but still (manual ability is for plebos). Not sure what I would be doing without Boone, who kills everything for me and has infinite ammo with default gun. Otherwise, sheesh. I'm guessing the Scavenger perk might be a good choice to get more ammo. I'm level 20 and running around with Service riffle and Virmint riffle with scope, it's pretty bad, guess I need new weapons. Lizard-dogs rape me with 1-2 hits and I have combat armor + 2 levels of toughness what the hell is that. Those fucking huge flies, forget about it, you need to pick them off from a distance otherwise rape. Best thing is Boone + flying eyebot + sniping, but then that doesn't help in closed spaces. I need a goddamn minigun or something, but then I guess that'd last about 3 minutes before I loose all ammo

Deneidez

Educated
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Deneidez said:
No, not possible. I have a max skill points build, and I'm still going to have no invested points in Melee, Energy Weapons, Survival, Sneak and Barter. Though I might have something left over a few points increase for Barter. I could have raised more useful skills, but I can't make a Fallout character who doesn't punch people in the face and shoot missiles at things.

Nitpick: They're books. Magazines are temporary boosts (+10 or +20) that are essentially for passing checks you weren't prepared for and can't/won't delay making.
Yeah, it seems that its not possible to max all skills.

(7*4*5)+(5*4)+(15*3)+(28*17+15*2)+(13*20)+(4)+(10*4)+(7*4)+(15)=1058
(7 specials four points for each skill per special point and five special points)+(Extra five special points and four points for each)+(Tag skills)+(Level up skill points)+(book skill points)+(Small frame)+(Intense training)+(Special upgrades)+(Tag perk)
(I know luck doesn't provide 4 skill points.)

Well, at least you can get skills up to 80 and use magazines to get them to 100 when needed.

Btw, am I the only one who thinks that most of the perks suck? I have been taking nothing but intense training all the time.

Project: Eternity
I went with high-damage low-firing-rate weapons mostly, big revolver and sniper rifle type weapons. My impression was that most stuff in the game has pretty high DT so that fairly little damage actually gets through most of the time if you're using one of the bullet spray weapons.

Cleaning out that lime quarry or what it was of Deathclaws... I don't know if it's even possible without the Anti-Materiel Rifle and a buttload of ammo + Boone in tow.

SoupNazi

Once you get the Brush Rifle from a Veteran Ranger and can afford the Sniper Rifle, then assuming you have high enough STR + Guns you're pretty much all set. The Sniper Rifle (or even better, the Anti-Material Rifle if you can get your hands on it) is godly to pick off entire groups of enemies (if you're far enough, they'll never come looking for you) and if anyone gets too close, you just switch to the Brush Gun which has very high DAM, but with a very decent DPS too. This is pretty funny and almost game breaking in Nelson which has a large cliff over it (Boone even advises you about that if you've got him as a companion), you can just climb on top picking off the two or three guards and then just snipe everyone in the town itself with ease, they never even notice. That quest also has another interesting dimension if you have Boone with you:

First off, Boone tells you himself that if you get any closer, he'll just start attacking no matter what you want to do. But that's not what's most important. There's a bunch of NCR prisoners hung on crosses, and if you talk to Boone before starting the assault, he tells you that you could mercy-kill those prisoners so they don't suffer. I didn't talk to him about it the first time though and just kept them alive, and then when I got the NCR to take over the city, I freed the prisoners from the crosses. Boone actually reflects on that and thanks you for "seeing another option than just mercy killing". He says that in his time as the 1st Recon he did a lot of mercy killing, and that he feels guilty because they could have probably saved a bunch of them. It's one of the greater moments of the game.

I found the quarry with Deathclaws very easy (if you have a gun that can get past their DT) because you can just climb on the ramp in the middle and shoot them from there. They just get stuck on stones and never are able to actually climb up the ramp. It's getting there that I found difficult, with some Deathclaws actually lurking outside as well.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Sniper rifle with silencer, high sneak and better criticals perk rapes pretty much all even on very hard.

ksjav

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014
Freelance Henchman said:
Cleaning out that lime quarry or what it was of Deathclaws... I don't know if it's even possible without the Anti-Materiel Rifle and a buttload of ammo + Boone in tow.
Get a sniper rifle along with Boone and camp on top of that junction station platform or whatever it was called, mine the fuck out of the ramp leading up to the platform then pick them off from the distance. Should be down to at least half health when they arrive and the mines should finish them off. That is if Boone does not try to rush the mined ramp with his machete when they come knockin'. :lol:

Project: Eternity
I did clean the place out, but stupidly sneaked up the stone ramp to the right when you come in. Lots of reloads because the bastards always run right up and killed either me or Boone, but it worked out eventually.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
kingcomrade said:
Shotguns in this game suck, even with a buff mod I have.
Are you converting all your ammo to slugs? Because slugs are awesome. Magnum rounds, on the other hand, are surprisingly terrible. Maybe I haven't found the right enemy to use them on yet.

empi

Augur
I cleaned up the deathclaws with no companions. Just used the Gobi Scout Rifle + sneaking when far away, This Machine when they got close. Took a few head shots each but not too difficult, and was only ~LV18. Was on very hard. NV is definately harder than FO3 but with a bit of planning not too much :). I cleared out most of the hostiles on the map without using companions (only recruited them to do their quests) with my sneaky sharpshooter.

EDIT: Btw, how many people can you sleep with/how may times does being a female help? Was thinking of being a women on next replay...

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Going through with Melee/unarmed build (in retrospect should have just picked one and put other points into locks/barter) I was getting pretty beat up until I took the two perks for +6DT, and couldn't kill anything till I found some unique spiked knuckles made of unobtanium or some shit that tears through just about everything.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I mostly use the All American rifle from a distance for headshot criticals... can't use VATS, the percentages are too low, but I manage by manually aiming. For up close I found a Riot Shotgun, only one I have seen so far, and I use that to rape anything anywhere near me with the Shotgun Surgeon perk. I recently got the gun This Machine, which seems epic as well, but with no scope it loses out to the All American most of the time. Rat Slayer was awesome for a while until All American replaced it.

As for perks and such I am mostly a speech dude this playthrough so I took mostly things that help with that... Shotgun Surgeon as I mentioned is great, helps with those high DT enemies early in the game. I wish I could get Better Criticals but my luck is too low.

Vaarna_Aarne

empi said:
I cleaned up the deathclaws with no companions. Just used the Gobi Scout Rifle + sneaking when far away, This Machine when they got close. Took a few head shots each but not too difficult, and was only ~LV18. Was on very hard. NV is definately harder than FO3 but with a bit of planning not too much :). I cleared out most of the hostiles on the map without using companions (only recruited them to do their quests) with my sneaky sharpshooter.

EDIT: Btw, how many people can you sleep with/how may times does being a female help? Was thinking of being a women on next replay...
Well, if you want the benefits from being female, be sure to take the Black Widow perk since it's like Sex Appeal trait used to be.

SoupNazi

Fortunately, you don't have to be a female character for males to hit on you:

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l116/ ... Shot24.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l116/ ... Shot25.jpg

In retrospect, I should have probably taken some screenshots showing my male character with Dr. Richards as well, but I didn't think of it at the time. I also didn't try pursuing his advances in any way, and I can't recall if there were any actual dialogue options for doing so. Still, it was pretty hilarious, especially since he greeted me the first time we met - so I assume it was just a bug.

Fake edit: Also, the "Confirmed Bachelor" apparently means "Confirmed Homosexual" because you actually use chat-up lines on guys. I thought it was going to be something like male bonding or whatever, but then my character flirted with like 5 different guys. :oops:

Vaarna_Aarne

Since you can be faggot in NV, it's obviously the game Codex has wanted all these years.

Also, do test out Fisto. "I can't feel my legs!"

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Also, do test out Fisto. "I can't feel my legs!"

That was the most funny thing in NV and I think the most funny thing in a game I saw in the past years. :lol:

Vaarna_Aarne

"Please assume the position."

"What...? Wait, NO!"

"I am programmed for your pleasure"

"Um... My pleasure is that you go to the Atomic Wrangler and work for James Garrett."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom