Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Ken Levine shuts down Irrational Games

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Irrational Games; Ken Levine

It's true that Irrational Games haven't had anything to do with the RPG genre for a long time. However, due to their early association with the legendary Looking Glass Studios and their co-development of cult classic System Shock 2, they've always held a modicum of our attention, even if that attention was mostly negative. Their latest game, Bioshock Infinite, was regarded as a critical and commercial success, which is why this post from Irrational's Creative Director Ken Levine is rather unexpected:

When Jon Chey, Rob Fermier and I founded Irrational Games seventeen years ago, our mission was to make visually unique worlds and populate them with singular characters.

We built Rapture and Columbia, the Von Braun and The Rickenbacker, the Freedom Fortress and some of the nastiest basements a SWAT team ever set foot into. We created Booker and Elizabeth, the Big Daddy and the Little Sister, MidWives and ManBot. In that time, Irrational has grown larger and more successful than we could have conceived when we began our three-person studio in a living room in Cambridge, MA. It’s been the defining project of my professional life.

Now Irrational Games is about to roll out the last DLC for BioShock Infinite and people are understandably asking: What’s next?

Seventeen years is a long time to do any job, even the best one. And working with the incredible team at Irrational Games is indeed the best job I’ve ever had. While I’m deeply proud of what we’ve accomplished together, my passion has turned to making a different kind of game than we’ve done before. To meet the challenge ahead, I need to refocus my energy on a smaller team with a flatter structure and a more direct relationship with gamers. In many ways, it will be a return to how we started: a small team making games for the core gaming audience.

I am winding down Irrational Games as you know it. I’ll be starting a smaller, more entrepreneurial endeavor at Take-Two. That is going to mean parting ways with all but about fifteen members of the Irrational team. There’s no great way to lay people off, and our first concern is to make sure that the people who are leaving have as much support as we can give them during this transition.

Besides financial support, the staff will have access to the studio for a period of time to say their goodbyes and put together their portfolios. Other Take-Two studios will be on hand to discuss opportunities within the company, and we’ll be hosting a recruiting day where we’ll be giving 3rd party studios and publishers a chance to hold interviews with departing Irrational staff.*

What’s next?

In time we will announce a new endeavor with a new goal: To make narrative-driven games for the core gamer that are highly replayable. To foster the most direct relationship with our fans possible, we will focus exclusively on content delivered digitally.

When I first contemplated what I wanted to do, it became very clear to me that we were going to need a long period of design. Initially, I thought the only way to build this venture was with a classical startup model, a risk I was prepared to take. But when I talked to Take-Two about the idea, they convinced me that there was no better place to pursue this new chapter than within their walls. After all, they’re the ones who believed in and supported BioShock in the first place.

Thanks to Irrational and 2K’s passion in developing the games, and the fans who believe in it, BioShock has generated retail revenues of over a half billion dollars and secured an iconic place in gaming. I’m handing the reins of our creation, the BioShock universe, to 2K so our new venture can focus entirely on replayable narrative. If we’re lucky, we’ll build something half as memorable as BioShock.

We will do our best to update an FAQ in this space as questions come in.

-Ken Levine
tl;dr "Ken Levine is tired of making AAA games. You're all fired." Still, who knows, maybe something interesting will come out of this. And if not interesting, then at least hilarious.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Controlled demolition of the AAA industry, who can't keep up with the first hardware bump in almost a decade.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
AbandonShip.jpg

maverick

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Ok, what does he mean by "narrative-driven games for the core gamer that are highly replayable"? Am I reading replayable Mass Effect/Bioware style games?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ok, what does he mean by "narrative-driven games for the core gamer that are highly replayable"? Am I reading replayable Mass Effect/Bioware style games?

I don't think he wants to make another AAA game. Mass Effect/Bioware style games are AAA.

What you're reading is more likely to be "indie hipster game with 2deep4u story and C&C". But we'll see.

Azazel

Arbiter
The highlight of this is all the staff currently whining on Twitter because they were too fucking retarded to immediately start looking for a new job after they crapped Bioshit 3 onto the market.

qt2D9Tv.png

ezvPADh.png

sW6XakX.png

:butthurt:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
a small team making games for the core gaming audience.
OK, a nice "indie" vibe there but then...
But when I talked to Take-Two about the idea, they convinced me that there was no better place to pursue this new chapter than within their walls.
... wait... what?! Yeah, that's going to let you focus on the "core" gamer... :roll:

That was my question as well: What does "replayable narrative" even mean... :retarded:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I think a lot of studios are going to be slimming down this way. They are seeing that a small Kickstarted project can grab massive attention with a laughably small amount of money and still make a profit. My prediction is that these bigger companies will stop making these AAA games with 300 employees once every 8 months, and instead make several smaller games (with smaller teams) and have a busier pipeline. This is all just me talking out of my ass, BTW.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
His new studio will grow to become another AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA++++ multi-billion dollar venture in the end anyway.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Interesting, that JP LeBreton guy used to work at Irrational but is now at Double Fine and worked on The Cave. Must be some bad blood there.

Black

Arcane
RPG Codex, now with news about shitty shooters and their creators. As expected from Spamitron!
Q2wuiZv.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
He laid off people to make LEGOs.

"I've been working on a concept I call narrative LEGOs which is how do you take narrative and break it down. What are the smallest part of narrative that you can then remix and build something out of? Mix and match."

LEGO, Levine points out, are a bunch of "primitives."

LEGO "chose a bunch of shapes which they knew would be useful and recombinable," he said.

Traditional narrative in video games is sort of like that Death Star playset kids had when Levine and I were young, he says.

"That's very specific," he said. "It's really well done, really well polished, but it's one thing. LEGOs are, what are they? They're these little primitives, but they were smart enough to design them where you can recombine them into millions of different things."

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/9/48...ng-isnt-so-much-a-game-as-it-is-a-reinvention

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Pulling a Levine.

This move should be the standard in games industry.
Make a shitload of money and then start fresh

Last edited:
Irrational Games - The only studio to make good games while under EA's bootheal, eventually escaping to make shitty games and kill themselves. It's like opposite land.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
a small team making games for the core gaming audience.
OK, a nice "indie" vibe there but then...
But when I talked to Take-Two about the idea, they convinced me that there was no better place to pursue this new chapter than within their walls.
... wait... what?! Yeah, that's going to let you focus on the "core" gamer... :roll:

I kind of wonder if this has anything to do with a non-compete or a right of first refusal Take Two has in any new ventures started by Levine.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Actually, it sounds quite intriguing and :incline:. He could have kept course and squeezed out a sequel every two years but he chose to be bold. You claim to be all :obviously: but you would rather had him change nothing instead of trying something new and potentially better. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Cholo

Arcane
The guy's a weak leader for not looking after his people better. I'd say I hope it bites him in the ass at his next gig, but hipster tryhards and gamer hanger ons will no doubt continue to fuel his endeavors.

Still though, making more and more Bioshock games would probably wear out anybody.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Hey this is nice, maybe Warhorse can scoop up some of the laid off devs, if they are willing to relocate. They will be staffing up now.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Hey this is nice, maybe Warhorse can scoop up some of the laid off devs, if they are willing to relocate. They will be staffing up now.

There's so few devs on the east coast they will have to relocate. Be it to to the west or to europe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom