Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Spotted this on Reddit: https://www.spotlight.com/1970-0162-7162

Click on the 'Further' tab and there's this ('Date' refers to recording date):

EDIT: KC2 information got removed from that page.

XCFzcCR.jpg
Interestingly... Richard Kiess is one of the hosts for the THQ Nordic Digital Showcase.

plot twist: the other co-host plays his love interest in the game.

SlamDunk

Arcane
Well... no revealing of Kingdom Come 2 at Gamescom, then.

Any guesses for the next possible event, date or time frame... or year?

V17

Educated
To change the topic from disappointment back to slavjank, somebody on reddit found a weird thing: enabling the HD Textures free DLC increases FPS for some people for some reason.

I tried downloading it and setting the texture quality to highest and while it did not increase fps, it did not noticably lower it either and it did reduce stuttering when loading new areas. I have an older PC, i7 6700k and a 6 GB GTX 1060, so I thought HD textures would be a bad idea, but apparently not.

Valdetiosi

Scholar
Having a blast with Better Combat and Immersion Compilation. Should had shared this ages ago, but one of the more satisfying things is about this game for me is beating opponents that you had most trouble with, like beating Bernard at fist duel.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
To change the topic from disappointment back to slavjank, somebody on reddit found a weird thing: enabling the HD Textures free DLC increases FPS for some people for some reason.

I tried downloading it and setting the texture quality to highest and while it did not increase fps, it did not noticably lower it either and it did reduce stuttering when loading new areas. I have an older PC, i7 6700k and a 6 GB GTX 1060, so I thought HD textures would be a bad idea, but apparently not.
Huh, that's curious. Maybe the HD textures are optimized and the original textures aren't or something like that? That's the only explanation that comes to mind.

V17

Educated

Huh, that's curious. Maybe the HD textures are optimized and the original textures aren't or something like that? That's the only explanation that comes to mind.
Maybe they use a different type of compression, or I assume any texture setting but the highest means that the biggest version of the texture gets loaded into memory and then scaled down, which may take some samples as well. If either of those things are done on the CPU it could explain why some people get a bigger gain as the game is usually CPU bottlenecked. Or it may just be some graphics driver bug that only happens on some configurations, with a system as complex as this who knows, it was only confirmed by a few people.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Now that I have a computer that can actually run the game well, any tips or info I should know so I don't bounce off the game?

Wunderbar

Arcane
Now that I have a computer that can actually run the game well, any tips or info I should know so I don't bounce off the game?
the early game may put you off because it's very linear - sometimes deviating from the main path would result in a game over screen. Power through it, the game truly opens once you get to Neuhoff stables quest.

Last edited:

SlamDunk

Arcane
I sincerely do think that the current WH project is well-managed and the team spirit is high (but not like fake American pretend-high).
That spirit is really noticeable in KCD. It definitely feels like the game was made with love and passion for the game type, theme and era.

Perhaps one of the factors is the fact that there were so many newcomers making KCD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sRvKRATNf0&t=2076

just

Liturgist
so you're saying in kcd2 i'll be playing as henrieta, knight formerly knowns as henry
imagine riding from village to village teaching peasants in rural bohemia about gender theory and they're all like henry wtf are you talking about ooooh shit did you just deadname me, time to ruin your business
funny as fuck, would buy on sale

Gerrard

Arcane

Keep in mind that you have to enable the HD textures from the in game menu as well after you install them. Simply setting your texture quality to highest doesn't do it.

Mitleser2020

Scholar

SlamDunk

Arcane
Smejki got anything to add/remove on these?

https://old.reddit.com/r/kingdomcome/comments/xd8raa/kcd_tidbits_not_many_people_know/

1) Originally the game was supposed to start at the Battle of Grunwald (1410) aka the largest medieval battle in Europe. I assume it was just supposed to be a cutscene with older Henry fighting, record scratch and voiceover "You're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation", then flashback to Skalitz. Possibly at some point the story would go back to 1410 and you would actually play at the Battle of Grunwald. Maybe at the end of the first game or in the second game. This technique, where the game is told in a flashback and then goes to the present and continue, was used in both Mafia and Mafia II, so it makes perfect sense to me.

Furthermore the developers confirmed during Q&A in 2015 that most of the game would take place on a big map and then there would smaller maps outside the country where only a small part of the game would take place. This obviously didn't happen for whatever reason.

We know there was a guy named Jan Sokol of Lamberg at Grunwald, a buddy of Radzig Kobyla. He's in the codex. We also know that there was a mercenary serving under Sokol at this time, one Jan Žižka of Trocnov (even though he's not actually confirmed at Grunwald, just at the siege few weeks later). That would nicely introduce Henry to Žižka and KCD could continue the story up to the Hussite Wars in games 2 and 3. BTW, yes, in 2015 they said would like to make a trilogy with the same main character and the proposed 3 acts would form just the first game.

You can see the Grunwald battle in the original Kickstarter trailer

2) Originally Tom Weston-Jones was cast as Henry.

4D6uDXO.png

They even scanned his head and everything. You can see his character in the first Kickstarter alpha:

1eorube.png

If you think that looks bad, bear in mind when they first put Tom McKay's head in the game it looked like this:

LR59Vqq.jpg

In the end Tom Weston-Jones had to drop out because he signed to do a Troy tv show.

3) At some point they wanted to cast Luke Dale (Hans Capon) as Henry, since they loved his acting. However they decided he's too funny and Henry should be more serious, so they cast him as Hans Capon instead.

4) The role of Henry's father was written with Sean Bean in mind. They negotiated with him, but he turned them down. In the end they got an actor who sounds almost exactly like Sean Bean, but was much cheaper.

5) They also originally wanted Brian Blessed to play Sir Hanush. However they didn't realize that he's 80+ years old and would not be able to do all the motion capture recording, so they cast him as Konrad Kyeser.

6) Originally the prologue in Skalitz was supposed to take place in winter. Then the rest of the game would be in spring after Henry heals from his injuries.

7) Matthew and Fritz were not supposed to be Henry's childhood friends. They were just two scoundrels he meets in Ledetchko later in the game and starts doing quests for them.

8) Petr Jákl, the director of the Medieval movie about Jan Žižka is Runt's model in KCD

tkpCGKQ.jpg

Last edited:
Sean Bean as Henry's father? I certainly like that. Would have been very interesting.
Lol poor dude is typecast as guy who dies in act 1.

The weirdest part would have been when he was revealed to be alive and actually the mastermind of the invasion at the end, because he blames James Bond for abandoning him or some such.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
They should use Jonas Nay, the guy who played Colibri the East German spy in the German tv show Deutschland 83, 86 and 89 if they want to retain that slightly fish-eyed effect. He already looks a bit like the dude in the game, just a bit thinner, more handsome and less retarded-looking.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Smejki got anything to add/remove on these?

https://old.reddit.com/r/kingdomcome/comments/xd8raa/kcd_tidbits_not_many_people_know/

1) Originally the game was supposed to start at the Battle of Grunwald (1410) aka the largest medieval battle in Europe. I assume it was just supposed to be a cutscene with older Henry fighting, record scratch and voiceover "You're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation", then flashback to Skalitz. Possibly at some point the story would go back to 1410 and you would actually play at the Battle of Grunwald. Maybe at the end of the first game or in the second game. This technique, where the game is told in a flashback and then goes to the present and continue, was used in both Mafia and Mafia II, so it makes perfect sense to me.

Furthermore the developers confirmed during Q&A in 2015 that most of the game would take place on a big map and then there would smaller maps outside the country where only a small part of the game would take place. This obviously didn't happen for whatever reason.

We know there was a guy named Jan Sokol of Lamberg at Grunwald, a buddy of Radzig Kobyla. He's in the codex. We also know that there was a mercenary serving under Sokol at this time, one Jan Žižka of Trocnov (even though he's not actually confirmed at Grunwald, just at the siege few weeks later). That would nicely introduce Henry to Žižka and KCD could continue the story up to the Hussite Wars in games 2 and 3. BTW, yes, in 2015 they said would like to make a trilogy with the same main character and the proposed 3 acts would form just the first game.

You can see the Grunwald battle in the original Kickstarter trailer

Battle of Grunwald was lowkey confirmed during the KS campaign (someone correctly identified the banners). It was still on the table like a year before release.
The battle was scrapped for 2 reasons. Production/tech (= too expensive) and the fact that it had very little justification in the story and narrative structure we ended up with.
Also no other levels were ever developed. I think there were concept for 2 battles (Grunwald and one somewhere in... Bavaria?) and that was it. Never got past early pre-production.
The idea was kept alive for so long primarily because we kinda promised it. Yeah, don't this, devs.
So we decided, fairly late, to blow up Talmberg. Yeah, don't this, devs, either.
2) Originally Tom Weston-Jones was cast as Henry.

4D6uDXO.png

They even scanned his head and everything. You can see his character in the first Kickstarter alpha:

1eorube.png
This is the first time I hear about this man and this story about his (non)involvement. Not saying it's not true tho. Ever since I joined Warhorse this was a placeholder face and we were looking for the final actor. I remember Ben Foster was on the table for a while. I don't even know if we reached out to him.
3) At some point they wanted to cast Luke Dale (Hans Capon) as Henry, since they loved his acting. However they decided he's too funny and Henry should be more serious, so they cast him as Hans Capon instead.
tru
4) The role of Henry's father was written with Sean Bean in mind. They negotiated with him, but he turned them down. In the end they got an actor who sounds almost exactly like Sean Bean, but was much cheaper.
Dan wanted Sean Bean and Mark Strong at one time. I don't even know for which roles that was.
5) They also originally wanted Brian Blessed to play Sir Hanush. However they didn't realize that he's 80+ years old and would not be able to do all the motion capture recording, so they cast him as Konrad Kyeser.
No idea
6) Originally the prologue in Skalitz was supposed to take place in winter. Then the rest of the game would be in spring after Henry heals from his injuries.
It's possible and as an idea it makes sense. "Paper can carry anything" (meaning "Anything crazy bullshit works on a paper") is a very often used phrase at Warhorse when you first conceptualize anything - be it a system, a mission concept, a storyline - and then it meets reality. The way gamedev works is that you first must define some initial idea, and then it morphs and get refined until it takes the semi-final shape and then you work on it much much more. So yeah as something you write down in the initial story pitch in 2 minutes it works. It also might me more accurate in terms of historical records. And then you realize it means producing a lot of unique assets that are used only once, and then script department is like "yeah winter behaviors are likely different from summer behavior, that's a lot of work used once", and then the engine guys inform you that Crynegine doesn't allow you to repaint the terrain on the fly so the winter would have to work visually for summer revisits as well because we can swap houses but we can't swap the terrain. And then you'tr just "k then, summer it is and Henry is out for maybe a week." and everyone's happy.
7) Matthew and Fritz were not supposed to be Henry's childhood friends. They were just two scoundrels he meets in Ledetchko later in the game and starts doing quests for them.
That just describes the incremental design process through its consequential effects. Matt and Fritz were originally designed as a set of side quests, tru. That's because the entire writing team was only allowed to come up with side content ideas while Dan was trying to develop the main story line further. And MnF quests sounded good so it was developed further. And not too long after we were like "We need to start writing the intro in Skalitz. Apart from Radzig, those 2 pointless guards, and Theresa, do we have any characters that would carry over? How about we turn the into you childhood pals to tie it all together?"
For other character it was the other way around. Dan reaaaally wanted Kunesh in Skalitz so when he was somewhat defined we were like "Can we continues his story if we decide he survives?" and that's how his next questing in Rattay was born.
I'm pretty sure some final character was originally multiple idependent ones and merging them just made sense.
8) Petr Jákl, the director of the Medieval movie about Jan Žižka is Runt's model in KCD

tkpCGKQ.jpg
tru

someone on /vrpg/ said that Dan Vavra has an account here on rpgcodex. What's his nickname? I'd like to read his posts out of curiosity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom