Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Knights of the Old Republic declared non-canon by Lucasarts - probably won't see sequels

Shadenuat

Arcane
KoTor games had a good story, but they definitely fucked up the setting. The story was set 4000 years before the movies, yet everything looked exactly the same
Things weren't the same, that's why there are many fans of Revan story in SW, because it's not about good jedi and evil Emperor, but there's civil war and mind control and jedi purge in KOTOR2, and things did look a bit more archaic. It wasn't ancient SW, but an older SW, sabers with powerpacks happened even before all that.
Sure they could have gone even older, when jedi and sith fought with metal swords, but who would buy SW game without lightsabers?

The game which fucked everything was KOTOR Online, which ditched Revan and all the mysteries and just copypasted vanilla SW everywhere.

Deleted member 7219

KoTor games had a good story, but they definitely fucked up the setting. The story was set 4000 years before the movies, yet everything looked exactly the same
Things weren't the same, that's why there are many fans of Revan story in SW, because it's not about good jedi and evil Emperor, but there's civil war and mind control and jedi purge in KOTOR2, and things did look a bit more archaic. It wasn't ancient SW, but an older SW, sabers with powerpacks happened even before all that.
Sure they could have gone even older, when jedi and sith fought with metal swords, but who would buy SW game without lightsabers?

The game which fucked everything was KOTOR Online, which ditched Revan and all the mysteries and just copypasted vanilla SW everywhere.

Also, Star Wars is on a technological plateau. Saying "everything looked the same" is kind of like saying, "Why aren't people driving cars in Dungeons and Dragons yet?".

Monty

Arcane
This policy is targeted primarily at the various Expanded Universe novels set after ROTJ. Nobody at Disney is saying "sorry, Exar Kun isn't canon anymore" or anything like that. There's no reason for them NOT to keep all that stuff, unless they decide to create their own thousands of years of history from scratch, and why would they?
That would be logical, I agree, but it seems they're changing everything as they don't even want to be tied down to the ancient history.

For example Korriban, the Sith planet which plays a major role in the ancient history stuff, has already been discarded and the Sith now come from a planet called Moraband:
https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/star-wars-sith-home-world-gets-name-change-150500278.html

So they can now do what they want without anyone pointing out discrepancies with what was 'known' about Korriban. So I tend to agree with Zed here, everything outside the movies and CW is gone, including the Old Republic stuff. Obviously they could still make some things similar if it suits them, guess we'll find out.

DraQ

Arcane
Let the SW be unambiguously about GL fellating Jar Jar or whatever it's meant to be about.
No sidetracking, no false impressions, including those established by three old fairly decent space fantasy movies.
:hero:
I like watching shit burn.
3179wd0.png

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I find this "canon/non-canon" thing to be very irrelevant and hilarious. I mean, what difference does it make? Why would anyone endorse a story as being "more true" than any other? All stories are just that, stories, fiction, imaginary events! None of them actually happened in reality! :P

Sometimes, it scares me the way people take things like fiction stories too seriously, and the butthurt that ensues. :roll:

Plus it can actually make things worse for the universe generally. One of the many problems with Episodes I-III was fitting in all of those stupid little connections with the previous films. Why is Jimmy Smits everywhere? Oh right, so he can deny Darth his paternal rights. Can you imagine how bad it would be if they did it with like a bazillion novels and comics?

At least, we won't discover that Darth Vader was a gay guy with daddy issues

Apparently you didn't see the second two prequel movies. That's canon already.

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
because they are re-booting the franchise.

It's an odd choice to reboot a franchise by starting with a trilogy of movies that's a sequel to the original trilogy, and starring the same actors to boot.
the old actors will be in but probably more like Nimoy in the new star trek, rather than lightsabre-swinging protagonists. I dunno, tho.
but the point is that they're re-marketing the franchise with new products and they want them all to be in line under their direction and supervision.

this creative strategy means they very well could, and actually indicates they will

'k, if you say so.

As you can probably tell, I'm uncomfortable with the Codex posting unsubstantiated click-bait as news, but since you're being stubborn, I won't press it any further.
an official announcement of what franchise owners are planning is unsubstantial..?
and you're uncomfortable? oh no jesus god pls no.
here's a website where they only post RSS-friendly PR bullshit, kickstarter updates and press releases. maybe we could hook up a reader on the codex front page and you would never have to feel uncomfortable again.

DraQ

Arcane

Deleted member 7219

Let the SW be unambiguously about GL fellating Jar Jar or whatever it's meant to be about.
No sidetracking, no false impressions, including those established by three old fairly decent space fantasy movies.
:hero:
I like watching shit burn.
3179wd0.png

This. Seeing that Lucasfilm are now wiping out Korriban from the history books makes me feel good inside. The whole idea of Korriban and the ancient Sith was much too good for Star Wars.

As others have started to point out, this makes TOR a massive fuck up as it is meant to be receiving ongoing development.

I find this "canon/non-canon" thing to be very irrelevant and hilarious. I mean, what difference does it make? Why would anyone endorse a story as being "more true" than any other? All stories are just that, stories, fiction, imaginary events! None of them actually happened in reality! :P

Sometimes, it scares me the way people take things like fiction stories too seriously, and the butthurt that ensues. :roll:

Because the old EU will not be continued anymore? SW were not split into 2 parallel universes. Old was killed.

Eyeball

Arcane
Of course TOR can't be canon. With that much established backstory, how could Disney fit Mickey Mouse and Jack Sparrow into their new Star Wars films?

Seerix

Arbiter
So, they just announced that EU gets put into its own little section and that SW movies and that new Clone Wars trash* are concrete cannon to base everything on with EU being only for very optional reference purposes. Meh, nothing exciting, as if this wasn't already the case.

(...)the company for the first time ever has formed a story group to oversee and coordinate all Star Wars creative development.

That's the actually relevant part. Any future SW products will be under complete scrutiny and that will do wonders to creativity of whatever studio that's gonna be developing any new game. Goodbye, Jedi Knight sequel, not that you'd be made anyway or that I'd want to see you get raped harder than Fallout. :roll:

*which is a total ripoff of the older and much better Clone Wars from Cartoon Network

DraQ

Arcane

Because the old EU will not be continued anymore? SW were not split into 2 parallel universes. Old was killed.
EU going down in flames and dragging the official franchise along?
Why would I not want to watch such a thing?

:Flash:

Arcane
I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of extended universe characters suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
This policy is targeted primarily at the various Expanded Universe novels set after ROTJ. Nobody at Disney is saying "sorry, Exar Kun isn't canon anymore" or anything like that.
actually they are. they are saying the entirety of eu isn't canon anymore and is rebranded as legends and that all new star wars stuff made from now on will be supervised by the story coordination group which is free to include anything from old eu or not.
so yes, they are saying "exar kun isn't canon anymore until we include him in some form in the new coordinated stuff".

but the most important thing in this blog post is the implication that there will be no new legends/eu stuff. everything that now comes out will be canon and heavily supervised, just like zed wrote.

New EU novels and a story group consist of the authors from old EU. It does not seem possible that they won't try to use their own and their colleagues work in upcoming books. This decision is so strange. What will Disney get from enraging SW fanbase? I see no money in that. I don't believe Disney Trilogy will made up anything that cannot be explained in few novels using 2,3 years gap between EU and movies. There is no need to chunk anything and if so, then surely not more than few late post RotJ years.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
so yes, they are saying "exar kun isn't canon anymore until we include him in some form in the new coordinated stuff".

Ok, what are the chances of Disney wiping out the entire Old Republic continuity (which includes Exar Kun)? Consider that they only recently signed an exclusivity deal with EA, who happen to be operating a very expensive MMO set in that continuity. Consider also that the Old Republic continuity does nothing to interfere with their new movies.

The announcement says:

In order to give maximum creative freedom to the filmmakers and also preserve an element of surprise and discovery for the audience, Star Wars Episodes VII-IX will not tell the same story told in the post-Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe.

That is a distinction that they are making.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
even though the book & comics are quite clear that stuff was waaaaay more primitive, with light-sabers having to be connected to power-packs, sith using crystal swords and everything having a more unique look:

I'm not a huge fan of the setting, but I've read your post and understood that yeah, they could've done a lot of fun things with that setting (or, at the very least, the remnants of it - surely it should've left some legacy!) Like, imagine there's some big "maltese falcon" style quest, centered around some long lost jedi holocron which is rumored to be, like, the best lightsaber fighting ever. So after many talks and swindles and even deaths you finally get your paws on it and what do you learn - predictably, the stupid thing was written for those damn cord lightsabers and, since modern ones have no such limitations, is basically useless to modern jedi.

More on topic - the only star wars thing I really liked in the adult age was Kotor 2 and, after they've fucked up both Revan & Exile in some shitty prequel to TOR novel, I can give less than zero fucks about it. I guess I would've rejoiced if they called episode I-III non-canon (and possibly even VI - fuck evoks), but world isn't that perfect.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom