Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legend of Grimrock 2

LeJosh

Savant
Yeah, this has been an improvement. There's still room for a little bit of waltzing if you're so inclined but it's not as big of a deal as it was in 1. Gut feeling is it's a bit harder than Grimrock 1, both due to smarter AI and generally more dangerous enemies. The wound system is kind of cool too, had to do some quick item juggling to move weapons to non-crippled hands during fights.

The way the map is designed really limits the waltz and I've seen myself cornered more often than not, ending in a straight slug fest. Which means I'm usually taking 20-25 damage per hit on my front row with around 20 protection. So I'd agree it's harder, especially as the game moves on with ranged enemies and ones that burrow underground.

The wound system caught me off-guard and I ended up with broken legs and slowed down then getting munched. :) Which is good because it makes healing pots much more desirable than just outright chugging them in the first game.

Last edited:

Greatness

Cipher
I think Humans are probably one of the top tier races. Seeing as the stat bonuses aren't working as the tooltip says, it really comes down to the traits. The Skilled trait has much more versatility than most others. You can get 20 more health/energy, 20% more damage, higher armor/evasion, more spells (nice to start with +25 protection shield spell in addition to two elemental schools), etc. Not to mention you will start out closer to all those nice perks. The only other traits that really compare are maybe Mutation and Endure Elements.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
First reroll for me. All human party now: Knight, Barbarian, Wizard (Earth), Wizard (Fire).

Also Tome of Leadership is awesome :D

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Shadenuat: If Earth-based spells don't work (or if you don't have access to them) then the Dispel spell is your only shot. (Draw a 2 using all 9 runes.)

In other news, I'm deep down in the Crystal Mines and it seems I'm finally stuck for good...except I still have that Ratling boss to kill. Time to load up on bombs, I guess.

I found the +25% XP amulet, so a Human wearing that could have +45% XP gain over everyone else.

I also figured out the Meteror Hammer thing on my own and now have this bad-ass "hammer" (Read: Meteor on a string) to swing around...once I get Heavy Weapons 5.

Some of the secrets are devious, the Tetris one was fun, but the damn chest tried to bite me!

I have 2 elemental essences and am halfway with the third one (10/20 Power Stones).

This is where I'm stuck at the moment:

Graveyard: I can't even get in through the front door. I haven't really tried pushing that rock around though, so maybe it's something easy.
Herder Den: The "Runemaster's Trial" puzzle. Clearly I'm supposed to write something with the pressure plates, but I'm not sure what.
Archives: As mentioned previously, I have no idea how to solve the "cipher" and I am also missing the final figurine beyond the "Scroll - rock - sword" door.
Crystal Caves: I can reach the bottom of the mine, but I need to figure out a way to power up a device to get the needed Mine key(s).

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I gave up on the cipher and consulted a walkthrough. I don't think anyone will blame you if you do the same. Just remember that the code appears elsewhere in the game.

As for the "Scroll - rock - sword" puzzle - Rock, Paper, Scissors.

I'm now in the graveyard. REALLY CREEPY IN THERE.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
And aren't you enjoying the game more because you paid for it instead of begging? Feels good, yes?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I gave up on the cipher and consulted a walkthrough. I don't think anyone will blame you if you do the same. Just remember that the code appears elsewhere in the game.

As for the "Scroll - rock - sword" puzzle - Rock, Paper, Scissors.

I'm now in the graveyard. REALLY CREEPY IN THERE.

Take stairs near archive entrance, there is papers with code there.

Shadenuat

Arcane
the Tetris one was fun
Is it the north of sewers? How do you do it, I don't get it - are there buttons to press somewhere? Or do you just put items on tiles?

edit. ok figured it out.
u just climb little tetris islands ladders in the order that is written on map

I can't see any logical explanation and why is it shaped in that way. It might have been just 5 same blocks with numbers on them.

If Earth-based spells don't work
Was first thing I tried, didn't do anything to it. So much talk about "duality of everything".

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
There's another option but it's in an open grave in the graveyard: The Etheral Knife that ONLY does damage to Elementals.

I'm closing in on the end of the graveyard segment - I THINK - and this is where Grimrock starts to drag. It's been 80% boring combat encounters, 20% puzzles that deal damage if you screw up. There's one that's a giant pit of spikes - I "broke" that puzzle by running across (and back) because my Knight is such a HP sponge that she could tank the damage.

Bombs are turning out to be a lifesaver. The Ratling boss goes down easily if you keep him on ice, while Undead take tons of damage from Electrical bombs.

The best firearm is this magical revolver that takes 6 shots and fires them with a 1.5 second cooldown. It does less damage per shot than the Arquebus, but in overall DPS it's miles ahead. I have a cannon (and more balls than I could possibly carry) but it's way too heavy for me, both in weight and stat requirements.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Some questions:
1) where is "silent" head? Which does "- - -" once you talk to it. I think around forgotten river OR sleet island.
2) Way of snake - what is it? Need it to enter crystal mines.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
1) It's just a little southeast of the right-most snake statue by the pyramid entrance.
2) It's the way of the SNAIL, not snake. ;-)

As for me? Bad news is, I'm completely stuck. I only need one power gem and it's in the Crystal Mines. I can't figure out how to activate the "Power Me Up" device.
Good news? I can now cast Meteor Storm. :)

EDIT: Freeze DOES work on bosses. Just...not the spell. ;-)

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Anyone who used Alchemist: how often herbs appear in his inventory?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
1) It's just a little southeast of the right-most snake statue by the pyramid entrance.
2) It's the way of the SNAIL, not snake. ;-)

As for me? Bad news is, I'm completely stuck. I only need one power gem and it's in the Crystal Mines. I can't figure out how to activate the "Power Me Up" device.
Good news? I can now cast Meteor Storm. :)

Unless i am missing something but spell damage is low.
Around 4 (5?) hits for 30-40.
But its best damage skill that mages get: usual fireball does around 60-70 dmg with 5 skills in fire.

I thought that mobs had fire resist so used lighting bolt instead of fireball, still hit like 60-70 dmg. I feel like i am missing something. Need 2 meteor storming mages to kill enemies fast? But this means no alchemist - unless i put him as 2nd dmg dealer in front as missile bow (firearms?) user.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I'm using Alchemist, and herbs appear about every 10 minutes or so.

And Meteor Storm is doing 20-40 PER HIT for me.

Next stop is Lightning Bolt, I only need to up Air Magic once for that.

I also have a couple of secrets yet to find. One is a walled-off place in the first forest map, south of the sign with the cipher. The other one is a scroll referring to "the loneliest tree". I think I've found it (NW-most map, NW-most point, look up on the mountain) but the bit with the "broken limb" is eluding me.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm using Alchemist, and herbs appear about every 10 minutes or so.

And Meteor Storm is doing 20-40 PER HIT for me.

Next stop is Lightning Bolt, I only need to up Air Magic once for that.

I also have a couple of secrets yet to find. One is a walled-off place in the first forest map, south of the sign with the cipher. The other one is a scroll referring to "the loneliest tree". I think I've found it (NW-most map, NW-most point, look up on the mountain) but the bit with the "broken limb" is eluding me.

1.Yes, 4 (5?) meteors which hit 20-40 each. Not impressed.
How much volley from bow hits? Need compare.

2.Light bolt is around 50-70 dmg.
Are there electro weak mobs?

3. Ok, 10 min for how many herbs to appear?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
It's about 1-3 herbs, usually the health and mana ones, but others sometimes appear.

Undead seem to hate lightning, so the graveyard is a good place to use it.

I'm not using (cross)bows, as I've yet to come across any other versions than the bogstandard ones.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
OK, weird moment of the day. I'm heading back to the Crystal Mines and took the teleporter to Stormreach Hamlet, only to land right in the face of the Ratling boss and his goons, who proceeded to shoot be back into the teleporter!

Time to call out the exterminator... :)

EDIT: HOLY CRAP, that was the mother of all battles. Seems that the Island Master is displeased with my progress so he called out the big guns.

Meteor Shower works WONDERS against weak mobs, doing 70-80 PER HIT against Ratlings and Wargs. :D

Last edited:

Greatness

Cipher
Patch Released

Beta version of patch (build 2.1.10) has been released. If you want to test the beta, right click on Legend of Grimrock -> Properties -> Betas.

WARNING! Beta build has not been extensively tested yet, so there may be game breaking issues! Backup your save games and be careful!

Release notes:
- fixed typo in a potion description
- improved precision of dual wielding damage calculations
- zarchtons no longer drop harpoons (not intended behavior)
- added missing embalmer's pants to the game
- fixed jeweled scepter's 3D model to fit inside chests
- fixed errors and clarified attribute tooltips
- clarified battle mage description (a magical staff is needed to get the +10 bonus to resistance or protection)
- changed resistance bonuses: strength now affects resist fire, dexterity affects resist shock, vitality affects resist poison and willpower affects resist cold
- added hit sound to pushable blocks (does not apply to old save games)
- optimized opening of automap
- bug fix: buckler's evasion bonus does not work (does not apply to old save games)
- bug fix: knight's shield bonus does not work
- bug fix: max epic items statistics is wrong (should be 17, not 16)
- bug fix: viper roots can spawn under water and die immediately
- bug fix: healing potion effect is played on the wrong portrait if party formation is changed
- bug fix: fireburst and similar spells can be cast inside pushable blocks (does not apply to old save games)

Greatness

Cipher
Anyone with the steam version that can test what "fixed errors and clarified attribute tooltips" means? Did they fix the error in it not scaling, or fix the tooltip being wrong?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Where to download patch?

"If you want to test the beta, right click on Legend of Grimrock -> Properties -> Betas."

Not sure what he means.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom