Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Let's conquer Europe for the 4 years-old Franz Ferdinand in Computer Diplomacy

Luka-boy

Arcane
A VIE - GAL
A BUD - RUM
A SER S A BUD - RUM
A TRI - VEN
F GRE - AEG

Modron

Arcane
All these F GRE - AEG are leaving Greece open to be taken by the turks in bulgaria.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
The votes so far (14 in total). Everyone agrees that Italy should be punished for being stupid and a small plurarity to also piss the Ottomans off.

A VIE:

A VIE-GAL:5
KarbonKitty (ZG), Operative Lynx (ZG), Hag (Codex), Luka-Boy (Codex), Flockingbird (ParadoxOT)

A VIE S A BUD:1
Argyraspide (ZG)

A VIE - BUD:1
Modron (Codex)

A VIE Holds:1
Lucumo (Codex)

A VIE - TYR:6
Premu (PDX-OT) Avernite (PDX-OT) Trinitrotoluen (PDX-OT) elektrizikekswerk (PDX-OT), Catacombs (Codex), LouisSteColombe(PDX-OT)

A BUD:
A BUD-SER:1
KarbonKitty (ZG)

A BUD-GAL:3
Premu (PDX-OT) Trinitrotoluen (PDX-OT), LouisSteColombe(PDX-OT)

A BUD S A SER-BUL:1
Lucumo (Codex)

A BUD Holds:1
Argyraspide (ZG)

A BUD S A VIE-GAL :1
Operative Lynx (ZG)

A BUD - RUM:6
Modron (Codex) Hag (Codex) Luka-Boy (Codex) Avernite (PDX-OT), Catacombs (Codex),Flockingbird (ParadoxOT)

A BUD S A SER-RUM:1
elektrizikekswerk (PDX-OT)

A SER
A SER-BUL:3
KarbonKitty (ZG) Argyraspide (ZG) Lucumo (Codex)

A SER Holds:1
Operative Lynx (ZG)

A SER S A BUD-RUM:6
Modron (Codex) Hag (Codex) Luka-Boy (Codex) Avernite (PDX-OT), Catacombs (Codex),Flockingbird (ParadoxOT)

A SER-GRE:2
Premu (PDX-OT) Trinitrotoluen (PDX-OT)

A SER-RUM:2
elektrizikekswerk (PDX-OT),LouisSteColombe(PDX-OT)

A TRI
A TRI - VEN:10
KarbonKitty (ZG) Hag (Codex) Luka-Boy (Codex) Premu (PDX-OT) Modron (Codex) Avernite (PDX-OT) Trinitrotoluen (PDX-OT)elektrizikekswerk (PDX-OT), Flockingbird (ParadoxOT),LouisSteColombe(PDX-OT)

A TRI - TYR:1
Operative Lynx (ZG)

A TRI S VIE-TYR:1
Catacombs (Codex)

A TRI Holds:1
Argyraspide (ZG)

A TRI - SER:1
Lucumo (Codex)

F GRE
F GRE-ION:6
Operative Lynx (ZG) Premu (PDX-OT) Avernite (PDX-OT) Trinitrotoluen (PDX-OT) elektrizikekswerk (PDX-OT),Flockingbird (ParadoxOT)

F GRE-AEG:4
Hag (Codex) Luka-Boy (Codex),Catacombs (Codex),LouisSteColombe(PDX-OT)

F GRE S A BUL:1
KarbonKitty (ZG)

F GRE S A SER:1
Modron (Codex)

F GRE S A SER-BUL:2
Argyraspide (ZG) Lucumo (Codex)

Last edited:

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
A VIE - TYR
A BUD - RUM
A SER S A BUD - RUM
A TRI S A VIE - TYR
F GRE - AEG

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Final results (14 votes):
A VIE - TYR : 6 votes. Beats A VIE-GAL by 1 vote
A BUD-RUM: 6 votes, no challenge
A SER S A BUD-RUM: 6 votes, no challenge
A TRI -VEN: 10 votes!
F GRE-ION : 6 votes. Beats G GRE-AEG by 2 votes.

Update incoming.
As usual, I updated the voting thread if you want to check what happened.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Fall 1902:
Austria continues to expand. The rest of Europe is trying to avoid Great Powers war!

20231224000001.png

20231224000001.png

OK now this is frustrating. Here is the complete list of orders from the other powers:
Russia : A UKR S F RUM
OE: A CON S A BUL
Italy: F GOL C A TUS-SPA
Italy: A TUS - SPA
France: A BEL - HOL
France: F BRE - ECH
France: A MAR S A SPA
Germany: F KIE - DEN
Germany: A SWE - NOR
UK : F NAO-WME
UK : F ECH-NAO

Less than half of the enemy armies/fleets move. As for the rest of the moves, well, they could just as well have been random.

In a nutshell: Russia & the Ottoman Empire don't move. UK just patrols somehow. Italy attacks France in Spain unsupported and fails. France moves only 1 army and 1 fleet out of 6 in total. Only Germany does something somehow useful.

I feel like this "interactive game" is not working due to the AI being idiotic. It is a good proof of concept that it would work with a better AI (or against real players), but I prefer to end the experiment here for this session. I don't think the expected entertainment value - or lack thereof - will be worth the time.

I apologize, but I prefer to stop now. I will pick a safer game next time. Meanwhile, thanks to everyone that played this game!
At least some of you were initiated to Diplomacy!

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I don't think the expected entertainment value - or lack thereof - will be worth the time.
I disagree. It's been interesting to see tons of people vote on and debate orders for the game, even if we're playing an idiotic bot.

If people enjoyed Diplomacy and want more experience, there is a standing Codex Diplomacy thread, where we've organized games.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
I don't think the expected entertainment value - or lack thereof - will be worth the time.
I disagree. It's been interesting to see tons of people vote on and debate orders for the game, even if we're playing an idiotic bot.

If people enjoyed Diplomacy and want more experience, there is a standing Codex Diplomacy thread, where we've organized games.
There is a new version of computer Diplomacy in 1988 or 1989 with limited Diplomacy vs the computer. I will be back...
... and before that I have another project anyway for the Codex, which may happen very soon, or not at all.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Reading this with fond memories of the Codex Diplomacy game I won as the Habsburgs a few years ago (see thread linked above). Although I had some luck with some players dropping out during the game. And a less successful game as Germany before that.

There have been several Diplomacy computer games throughout the years. Never played any of them, but it seems kind of suspect on a conceptual level. The whole fun of the game (whether in person or over text) is the human element. Since it's very hard for one player to win outright if everyone is determined to stop him, the fun is in manipulating others into doing your bidding. I doubt an AI could ever replicate that, because how can you ever persuade an AI player to do something for you? Or how could an AI player ever manipulate you at the same level? I can only imagine it working as Gunboat Diplomacy (i.e. Diplomacy without the interaction, so people just submit their moves). Correct me if I'm wrong here. Would be interesting to see your attempts at the other games though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom