Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Not Play Space Rangers 2: ITZ Here

pipka

Savant
That's it! I'm going to buy this game. The amount of awesomeness is overwhelming!

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Heh, you won't regret it imo. Good replayability.

Morkar Left

Great LP! I´m looking forward to more explosions!

Has anybody tried the textquest editor and knows how to use it?

RK47

Patron
yeah you need to take it easy at first. If you're not confident on how to proceed, I guess start at lower level and work on trading & buy probes from science station to build up your credit level. Take a loan from business centers if you want faster upgrades.

Trading:
You should get good prices on foodstuffs from agricultural planets. These fetch good price on Industrial planets on general. On the return trip, it's usually a good idea to buy machinery and bring back to the agriculture planet.

Do price checks by entering names of planet you wish to travel to on the newsnet. Each search cost 3 credits. You can also search for ship names when doing bounty missions etc.

Keeping your eye on the newsnet also allows you to learn which planet is in desperate need of certain commodity. Planets with famine will need foodstuffs, while others may experience a sudden growth in mining industry, driving ore prices down while machinery is in high demand.

Research Probes : Buying these from science stations allows you to land at Unexplored planets and search for goodies. Depending on the probe terrain scan abilities, it may take some time for it to complete a scan. Larger planets allow up to 4 probes to be deployed. Come back when the scan is done, then you can grab the goodies and retrieve the probes.It's a good idea to just buy 2-4 probes and drop them somewhere, do a little trading/mission to allow probes to finish its scan.

I'm not sure about combat and upgrades to advise you, but generally I look to conserve cargo spaces by buying smaller components. A fast engine is important to save time and travel further between systems. Sometimes a system may be under dominator control and it may be safer to just hop past it with a high parsec engine than attempting to fly through it with a low parsec engine. Also: you can overload your engine to double your speed, it will damage your engine quickly, but may save your life when being chased by pirates. Do not forget that inter-system travel consume fuels. Jumping into a system without a station to land to, and no fuel to jump out means you're stranded. If that happens, you're stuck with blowing up a hostile ship to tractor in their fuel tank. You can also employ a drop tank method by buying 1 large tank and 1 medium tank to extend your jumping distance. Use the medium tank for the first travel, then ditch it once it's empty, then equip the large fuel tank for the subsequent jump. This is useful when doing courier missions that has a strict time limit, you don't have to land to refuel.

RK47

Patron
ElectricOtter said:
I lolled hard at those galaxy names :lol:

There's a fucking planet named Comegetsome and Suckitdown :lol:

MetalCraze

Arcane
You need to treat SR2 like old-school RPGs in a meaning - if you are getting your ass handed to you - come back when you'll grow stronger.

RK47

Patron
Actually I found the sequel easier than the counterpart. There is usually no way to escape from Aliens in the first SR, but in the sequel you can just blaze a trail with your engine overload. It'll cost money but at least you won't die to Dominators. Just make sure you skirt the edges of the system map to make it to the other side.

Nedrah

Erudite
Hopefully you'll get to play one of the text quests soon. Some of them would make just perfect LP material.

RK47

Patron
Hahah, good luck understanding what the text wanted. I really despise it for some reason.

RK47

Patron
Need help in building a good 'Fighter' type of ship. Current hull config has no shielding and after hull upgrade only blocks 8. The only saving grace is the 770 Hull space with 5 gun slots and 3 artifact.

Is shielding slot absolutely crucial?
I cannot seem to find a good hull to buy, they're either too small (below 600) or lack the necessary slots to make it complete. The search engine doesn't seem to help much when it comes to looking for good equipment.

MetalCraze

Arcane
This was a good change from SR1 - the one where you can't have a all-in-one ship. Buy a fast fighter hull without the tractor beam module install space - stuff it with the best engine and repair system you can, and good shield. You just need to block damage enough for the repair system to fix all of it the next turn. Top notch weapons are obviously mandatory too. The best engine is needed no to run away, but to chase the guys who, after seeing how their weapons do shit to you, will try to GTFO ASAP.
You'll need shields, but I believe if you'll have the best repair system out there, fully upgraded at tech station + micromodule - you'll be able to get away without using shields. However you'll have to repair it very often.

RK47

Patron
Without tractor - I can't fucking earn money from military ops. I think they needed to fix the military ship AI. I have no idea why they're shooting down dropped modules after I blew away the Dommies. It made no fucking sense. And I stopped using missiles after I realized they blew up dropped cargoes I was tractoring in too.

I don't think dominators run away so I'm not too worried about a really high end engine, I've got 830 speed engine and the top speed i've got with 770 hull is around 600ish. If things get too hairy, overload.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
sr2-506.jpg

sr2-502.jpg

Crotchduster decides to be brave and venture out into other star systems. Partly because everyone around the ones he's been in is insane or getting attacked by Dominators or on a crusade to rid the world of mineral gatherers.

sr2-503.jpg

Oh look another hippy
And no, I'm not setting out to kill anyone at the moment, get the fuck out

sr2-504.jpg

Instead, I treat myself to a third weapon. A Lezka. I'm not sure what a Lezka is, but it looks menacing.
With my industrial mining laser, my fragment cannon and The Lezka, I am ready to take on the world.

sr2-505.jpg

12%.
Please tell me he means... actually, I can't think of any good way to spin that. Any positive way he could have meant it. Oh god the universe is so screwed and Cadet Crotchduster will not live to see the victory because there won't be a victory. Who told me to put the Dominators on hard again?

sr2-507.jpg

Okay, Bitchboy.
That's it. I gave you every fucking chance. I put up with your wackiness. I peacefully let you go. I accepted your jibes as the impotent anger of an inferior, and let you go.
But now I have had enough.
You will not live to see the victory.

sr2intro.jpg

sr2-508.jpg

sr2-509.jpg

sr2-510.jpg

sr2-511.jpg

Ahh'm not intaraisted in da looot. I want da bountay.

sr2-512.jpg

sr2-513.jpg

A moment of tense silence as the space fireworks erupt. And then... a ship flies out of the debris...

sr2-514.jpg

Let's listen to our favourite song.

sr2-515.jpg

And then I realise that, having spent two weeks chasing him around, I won't have time to fulfil my mission before the deadline.
Wearily, I reload, confident in the knowledge that Bitchboy is at my mercy. Cadet Crotchduster will dispose of him at his leisure.

sr2-516.jpg

sr2-517.jpg

Shields are more important than damage dealt. This is a stupid item. I am selling it.

sr2-518.jpg

ha ha ha very fucking funny aren't we a fucking comedian how've you recovered from your fucking suicidal assaults on innocent rangers when I'm supposed to be protecting you you cunt

sr2-519.jpg

I decide to test out my new weaponry on a passing pirate.

sr2-520.jpg

sr2-521.jpg

You're barely doing me any damage and you're running away.
This isn't a good time to demand money from me.

sr2-522.jpg

To show off his strength, he then activates his boosts and legs it to the nearest planet to have his ship repaired. I follow and do likewise. I like to imagine the two of us making obscene gestures across the hangar while we wait.

sr2-523.jpg

sr2-524.jpg

sr2-525.jpg

goddamnit will you die
And then I have a cunning plan (!)

sr2-526.jpg

sr2-527.jpg

sr2-528.jpg

The transport, promising his aid, immediately turns around and goes chasing after someone else. Sighing, I continue pursuing the pirate.

sr2-529.jpg

sr2-530.jpg

sr2-531.jpg

Sigh.
Pretty sure it was a close run though.

sr2-532.jpg

I can't work out if he's supposed to be drunk or if it's just the stunning translation at work again.
Anyway, angry at my failure to defeat the tiny stupid pirate ship, I need something to take it out on. Someone. A bitch, if you will.

sr2-533.jpg

There we go.

Hunting the Bitchboy, I land on the nearest planet to refuel and repair. Unable to spot him for the moment, I ask for a quest to pass the time.

sr2-534.jpg

How dare you, sir? Crotchduster is no janitor, taking on... safe jobs... with a guaranteed decent pay... on the ground... away from insane space people...
I accept.

sr2-535.jpg

Oh.
That kind of cleaning.

sr2-536.jpg

sr2-537.jpg

I decide that most of my robots will have four rocket arms. I'm smart like that.

sr2-538.jpg

YEAH GO GET THEM DUDE WITH THE.. repair arms? Why are you in the lead? Get the hell back here.

sr2-539.jpg

sr2-540.jpg

Taking over this room goes reasonably well.

sr2-541.jpg

Defending this base does not.

sr2-542.jpg

Jesus Christ. I have a whole island to simultaneously take over and defend with only eight units. This is ridiculous.

sr2-543.jpg

The battle starts swinging against me. Time to randomly rush bases with no real plan or coordination! This is the key to victory, brothers!

sr2-544.jpg

sr2-545.jpg

sr2-546.jpg

Down to the last man on this side of the island. I backpedal frantically, shooting down robots who come close and using my turrets for help. I... take out five or six.

sr2-547.jpg

goddamnit

sr2-548.jpg

goddamnit

fuck this

sr2-549.jpg

Oh, er, well, you see, the thing is...
I try playing it smooth with the second option.

sr2-550.jpg

No, Crotchduster. He didn't buy it.

sr2-551.jpg

Well.

sr2-501.jpg

Looks like this has taken a turn...
...For the interesting.

Nedrah

Erudite
And remember kids, all of this is part of just one game. A game that I had to reinstall because of this very LP.

Also...
What the fuck? This needs a lot more replies.
Next installment please, this was indeed just getting interesting.

headache

Novice
I remember that RTS map from my last attempt at the game. I think it must be one of the hardest. It took me like ten tries-- to succeed in eliminating *one* of the two enemy teams, or more like survive while the other enemy eliminated it. Though, as I found out, actually you get some credit for the mission for this. You may not be able to quit out ("retreat") to get it, but if you are destroyed after one other team is, it works.

Morkar Left

Got this mission yesterday too. I managed to capture the 2 bases in the south. Then my mechs got wiped out through a massive attack from the green Dominators while I was trying to capture the red base after the bridge.

Try to build at least one mech with high fire range and use it for yourself to easily destroy the enemy defense towers before you attack with the rest of your bots.

Shiny

Novice
I went to prison too many times... The BEST is when it's for some forgotten infraction at the beginning of the game that you've COMPLETELY forgotten about and you've just landed on the planet to trade or fuel up etc. and then "Sorry dumbass! You've been busted!"

Subsequently all your deadlines go out the window as you're taken to the clink and if you don't have any savings you'll be lucky to get out of there alive :)

MetalCraze

Arcane
You can check how governments feel about you before jumping into a system you know. Some hate you because of your race/class right from the start.
You can up their love-o-meter by doing things that they like. Like Malaks like it when you kick some ass, even if it isn't pirate or dominator's ass (and not Malak's one obviously)

Also when I was replaying SR2 a second time I've ignored land battles. They are becoming ridiculously hard with time, not that rewarding (unless you win them) and there is only one of them that is mandatory anyway I think.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom