Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Not Play Space Rangers 2: ITZ Here

Raapys

Arcane
Some of the land battles really are hard. The one you did is actually one of the harder ones, though there are also a few that are far worse. There's a few easy ones after it though( could be wrong about this, but they seem to follow a pattern ). At any rate, they're ridiculously well-paid once you're nearing the end-game or. From my last one in my current game I got like 500k once I completed it, and that took like seven minutes or so.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
I hope stumbling and bumbling through repeated failures is fun for you while playing, because it's not much fun to read. Yes, I get it, you have no idea what you're doing, and evidentally don't have any interest in the tips that have been linked and outwright quoted in this thread. That's fantastic. But I hope it's just a phase, and at some point you decide to stop being lazy, e.g., flying directly through the middle of a dominator sector, and stupid, e.g., claiming that shields are more important than weapons.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I love the RTS missions because they pay so well. Yes, some of them are true ball-busters, but it's more or less a matter of patience. Remember, you can restart a mission if you're failing it, but you cannot save while on a map.

I never, ever take manual control of my robots though. I order them around from the overland map, and that usually works. I have yet to try an RTS map that it's impossible to win. Sometimes it has taken up to 5 tries, but I've won them all. And it's very much worth it, 500K reward isn't unlikely towards the latter half of the game.

Advice: stick with it. Take the module that adds range to your weapons, and primarily use missile launchers, but don't forget repair arms.
I usually take two missile launchers, and then either two repair arms or one repair arm and one stunner arm.
If you manage to build up a group of 9 of these robots, you can take on pretty much anything the AI throws at you.

oscar

Arcane
I like to think that the setting is one where Russia acheived dominance over the galaxy and everyone talks like that due to constantly drinking.

Shiny

Novice
Lord Chambers said:
I hope stumbling and bumbling through repeated failures is fun for you while playing, because it's not much fun to read.

I disagree. Watching him get his ass handed to him time after time is awesomely funny because it reminds me of playing through for the first time. Keep up with the current style! It rules!

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Shiny said:
Lord Chambers said:
I hope stumbling and bumbling through repeated failures is fun for you while playing, because it's not much fun to read.

I disagree. Watching him get his ass handed to him time after time is awesomely funny because it reminds me of playing through for the first time. Keep up with the current style! It rules!

Same thing for me. SR2 was unforgiving at first for my noobishness :P

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
Alright kiddies, here we go on our first text adventure. Now, you can't save during text adventures, nor can you save during RTS maps, and I missed the chance (if I had the chance, which I'm not sure of) to save between the two. And it was 2:30am and I was drunk and I really couldn't be bothered doing anything cerebral by that point. So I quit.

sr2-602.jpg

Fortunately, as you can see here, the text adventures are accessible from the main menu! Only three are unlocked to start with; prison and a couple of others. I'm assuming you need to play the others in the game itself to unlock them. And no, I'm not showing what they are. It's a surprise.

Anyway, here we go.

sr2-604.jpg

Already we are faced with Choican n Consequencan. This is the best RPG ever. Choosing to sit quietly, oddly enough, means you sit quietly until you reach the prison.

And that's boring.

sr2-605.jpg

Yes, I am aware that all of these will almost certainly fail. Let's play sick, it worked in Goldeneye.

sr2-606.jpg

sr2-607.jpg

Oh, no, wait. It didn't work in Goldeneye, did it?

And yes, I just selected to kick him and the character punched him instead. Can't help but feel I'd have been successful if he'd done as he was told.

Now here is some flavour.

sr2-608.jpg

sr2-609.jpg

sr2-610.jpg

This gives the basic outline of the things the player can do on each day. Almost every activity will take up a full day, with the occasional side event (I think they're random) and sometimes things happening in the evening. Most nights will be spent in Tartarus.

sr2-611.jpg

I encounter a wise old hobo and throw him some change. He gives me diet advice. I kick him in the ribs and wander off grumpily.

sr2-612.jpg

My raising the stakes impresses my fellow cons and raises my reputation with them. This is a very important factor which I would do well to not neglect, as you will see later.

sr2-613.jpg

Smugly, Crotchduster heads to the library. If he's going to conduct an elaborate escape plan, he'll need brainpower, and hopefully it'll have nudie posters to rent out to cover the hole he digs.

sr2-614.jpg

Unfortunately, some dastardly villain has replaced all the books in the library with copies of Twilight. Truly, this is a haven of irredeemable criminal scum.

sr2-615.jpg

Just what every aspiring escape artist needs. It's on now.

The next day, several concerts are being held. There's a hall for each species, which warms Crotchduster's shrivelled little anti-multikult heart. We head to the human hall for now.

sr2-616.jpg

Prepare to be astounded and dazzled, fellows. For I bring you...

sr2-617.jpg

Cube!

sr2-618.jpg

Might as well get on the guards' good side, I figure. The inmates like me, but hopefully we can keep both sides happy.

sr2-619.jpg

sr2-620.jpg

Crotchduster, feeling quite pleased with himself, opts for the OG portion. Unfortunately (and this is what the game actually tells me), he is not an OG, therefore the inmates laugh at him.

sr2-621.jpg

Crotchduster. Master of subterfuge. Master of... taxation?

sr2-622.jpg

sr2-623.jpg

One step at a time, friends. If Hollywood tells me the truth, this should only take twenty years, and thus is definitely worth attempting on a three-month sentence.

sr2-624.jpg

On Sunday, there doesn't seem to be much to do except offer to be the warden's informant. My source on prison escapes tells me that getting on the warden's good side is a good idea, so I do so. Making me a "stoolie", which sounds more like a term for a turd. This might be quite appropriate.

sr2-625.jpg

sr2-626.jpg

Hmm.
Something to keep an eye on, perhaps.

sr2-627.jpg

Hmm...

sr2-628.jpg

TRIBAL BEATS
SPACE
RANGERS
BUH BUH BUH BUH BUH BUH

DOMINATORS
FUCKING
EVERYWHERE
BUH BUH BUH BUH BUH BUH

OH GOD
I'M GOING
TO DIE
BUH BUH BUH BUH BUH BUH

AGAIN

And yes, playing the Beats did make my character stupid. I feel kind of personally insulted.

sr2-629.jpg

And now suddenly we uhh
Have adopted a cockroach.
I'm not sure what I can say about this. I don't really want it. I hope someone takes it away. I will name it Chefe.

sr2-630.jpg

Well, I've got it now, might as well make use of it. I head to the cockroach races.

sr2-631.jpg

sr2-632.jpg

:(

sr2-633.jpg

sr2-634.jpg

Heh. Poor fools are playing right into my hands. Another piece of vital equipment for my masterplan, which is far too complex to describe in mere words.
Because it doesn't exist.

sr2-635.jpg

Not having learned from the last time, Crotchduster opts for a Champion's Dinner, as befitting an utter loser like himself.

sr2-636.jpg

Oh.

sr2-637.jpg

In the next day's racial segregation olympics thing, I opt to head to the Maloq hall, land of big burly warriors. Dimly aware of how his peers currently perceive him, Crotchduster opts to battle a cyborg. Give me redemption or give me death! I will earn that Champion's Dinner!

sr2-638.jpg

Yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

sr2-640.jpg

Unfortunately, they quickly come to despise me again. I'm not even sure why this time.
Well, someone who exhibits great mastery over the flute is in high demand in prisons, so I'm told.

What do you mean not that kind

Back to the library for another go. Whispers abound that some subversive has planted something not by Stephenie Meyer.

sr2-641.jpg

Ye Gods. Danielle Steel. Crotchduster resolves to escape as soon as possible, but can already feel his few remaining braincells diminishing...

sr2-642.jpg

For once, Crotchduster gets an interesting work duty, spent in the canteen. This helps bulk up his health and strength, which is great, but leads to the inmates despising him further. Jealous pricks. Who needs their approval anyway???

sr2-643.jpg

Well...

sr2-601.jpg

...me.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Maybe not similar but check out MASQ if you haven't, it's quite good. One of finest examples of C&C without bullshit.

Nedrah

Erudite
Wow.. well, that sucks.
Are you going to do it all over again in your next update?

Heresiarch

Prophet
I remember replaying the prison part several times just to try all the ways to get out.

Man, this LP is giving me the urge to replay SR2 AGAIN!

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Mele ~ on Grayza said:
You sure die a lot in this game. It doesnt appear to be easy at all.
The main game is not that hard. You just have to carefully pick your fights until you get a better ship and stick to FedEx quests and trading early on. Text and RTS quests can be pretty damn difficult, but you can retry them if you mess up without any penalties. Determination will get you through them.

Nedrah

Erudite
Speaking of determination, I believe you need to adopt a strict "3 full length LP updates a day" policy, jimbob.

god damn I just spent a fucking hour turtling in that goddamn RTS mission and still lost Jesus
Well, not lost, but ended up at a standstill and gave up when they launched a sneaky attack to capture all my undefended bases. I did hold out until Green died, but that just means I got a pat on the head and told a more capable ranger would handle it instead of a jail sentence.
I think the sentence was less humiliating.

Heresiarch

Prophet
The key to victory in the RTS part is to try to capture the weakest enemy's base while they are fighting and weakening each other. That'll almost double both your population cap and resource output, and'll make everything MUCH easier.

The hard part is to try to survive on your own on the first few minutes. Once you see one of the dominators got mauled badly (maybe to the point their base defenses all got destroyed), get your robots there and kill-steal their base. Then the map would become (more or less) cake walk.

pipka

Savant
Man! This game is Hard Core(i love these planet names)!
With Strong dominators after a year and a half my equipment is still shitty and there is only one system(3 galaxies) not conquered by doms.

MechWarrior-strategy part is a big piece of crap. But everything else is top notch... especially the writing. Those quests are so wacky and cool.

New Reload/Reboot items are kinda cool. I love upgrading major bases with +N energy damage things.

Question: which items are worthless for bases(ranger, military, pirate)? Radars,sensors, engines, fuel, etc.? DISCUSS

After about three tries o beat that goddamn RTS mission, including turtling, rushing, and trying to play steadily, I have come to the following conclusion; fuck it, I'll start with the easier ones. I go back to the planet one last time, for one reason...

sr2-701.jpg

Delivering a big fucking no. I throw my badge defiantly off the officer's desk. It bounces and smashes a vase.

sr2-702.jpg

Er, wait, no, I didn't mean it like that. I just meant I didn't want this one. Please let me have others.

Sheepishly, I reload and go on my way.

sr2-703.jpg

sr2-704.jpg

A pirate? Sure.

sr2-705.jpg

sr2-706.jpg

Er... at some point, we go from chasing Axe to chasing this Phantom Liakny character I fought before. I don't question this, because I have a slight score to settle there too.

sr2-707.jpg

sr2-708.jpg

sr2-709.jpg

Oh, that transport thing he's attacking? I have a quest to protect it for a month. Unfortunately, this time, Elvis is not involved.

sr2-710.jpg

sr2-711.jpg

Still, a job is a job. We duke it out until he flies back to the planet to repair. Actually, he does this about three times.

sr2-712.jpg

sr2-713.jpg

sr2-714.jpg

sr2-715.jpg

Seems our good friend hasn't been doing a very good job of making friends. Given that I'm the only one who actually attacks him instead of chasing him in a vaguely menacing fashion and letting him shoot me, I can't really blame him.

sr2-716.jpg

Aaaand back to the planet again. I'm guessing he's going to keep doing this until he runs out of money. I hope that happens soon, or I can somehow bring him down before he has the chance (spoilers: I can't).

sr2-717.jpg

284HP... hmph. That's not much. I can deal 25-30 damage per hit with my fragment cannon, let alone the two other guns. Unfortunately, he's considerably faster than me, so he can escape me and get out of range with relative ease.

sr2-718.jpg

Er, Jesus Christ. I'm against someone experienced here.
That will not avail him. Crotchduster will reign triumphant. Our favourite song shall be no dirge this day.

sr2-719.jpg

Gangbang gangbang gangbang
wait where is he

sr2-720.jpg

Going.
Fuck.

Stopping in at a planet in the system he fled to, I ask for a job and pray it's not an RTS mission. Instead, it is a happy coincidence.

sr2-721.jpg

That's right. He's not just a dick. He's an elephant murdering dick.

sr2intro.jpg

It's on now.

sr2-722.jpg

He's moved system again, I discover. Cringing slightly at the time lost, I shrug and move on.

sr2-723.jpg

I certainly have a mind to be whacking someone.
In fact, speaking of whacking, one day I am going to whack all life in this wretched universe. One man alone will live to see the victory, and his name shall be Crotchduster.

sr2-724.jpg

Here we are. Now let's see...

sr2-725.jpg

Gotcha.

sr2-726.jpg

sr2-727.jpg

The condescending asshole proves that he's not such a bad sort by joining me in pursuit. Together we shall ride! Like thunder from the...

sr2-728.jpg

...oh, fuck off.

sr2-729.jpg

Gritting my teeth and heading to Kephrone, I witness this amusing exchange.

sr2-730.jpg

sr2-731.jpg

Might just be me, I have a significant character flaw and all, but I wouldn't really be trusting someone who calls their ship after Satan in the first place. Might just be me.

sr2-732.jpg

Bitchboy! Perhaps I can take both down in one go. This will be a glorious day for Cadet Crotchduster.

sr2-733.jpg

Bitchboy and Liakny are fighting. This is too good. Smugly I sit and watch, ready to leap on them once they are weakened.

sr2-734.jpg

The new year again? How time flies when you're having fun.
I'm getting a bit worried about my progress at this point. I make a mental note; when this particular venture ends in tears and misery and a pension for my family, I'm going to head to a ranger base or somewhere and have my current equipment upgraded to an improved level (not buy new stuff). I've got the cash, and while I'm now able to survive pirates and weaker Dominators, I think that should put me in with a chance of actually being able to kill them.

sr2-735.jpg

Thirty days left. Time to end this frustrating little task.

sr2-736.jpg

sr2-737.jpg

Heh heh. Crotchduster does people from the rear. Heh heh.

sr2-738.jpg

Four of us after him, Liakny flees. We've managed to deal significant damage in a very short time...

sr2-739.jpg

Oh god
No
Stop

sr2-740.jpg

Rage_hq.jpg

MetalCraze

Arcane
Only 3302? Pfft. If Dominators won't rape the shit out of the galaxy - it is still very early into the game. You will start raping royally usually around 3307.

Also if the enemy is too fast and you're sure that you will fuck him up good - don't hesitate to fire up afterburners. The engine you have is still pretty cheap, so repairing it won't make you go bankrupt - and don't be afraid to jump after him - with luck you'll be able to make a kill before he reaches the planet.

I was using afterburners to kill pirates and fast rangers pretty much for all the game - up to 3320 that is. Also to avoid them returning back to the planet after they hid on it - fly not too far away but keep an eye on the planet - as soon as the target leaves it - note his course and fire up afterburners. If the target runs away from you - it is a sign that you are stronger and will p. much finish him off for good if fast enough.

I really have to thank you for getting me to play this game again. I've found that the RTS missions, turtling at the beginning does seem to be the best strategy. If you hang out, they'll run short on resources and start releasing some pretty shitty robots instead of the higher quality ones. Spread slowly until you notice that you have a considerable advantage in troop quality, and then you can sweep the entire map. I've passed all of my RTS missions easily after I started doing that.

An aside... I'm at 3312 and I've had 12 planetary battles but no text quests. Is that common?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom