Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play: Phantasie! (1st dungeon)

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Luzur said:
Anthony Davis said:
Luzur said:
and i never finished Wizards Crown since i got stuck at the mansion (managed to loose the key you needed there).

but still i bought both all of them from ebay since they are SSI RPG's afterall :)

I should probably just get an e-Bay account and start shopping for some of these classics.

My girlfriend goes to thrift stores a lot and she called me once from one of them:

"Honey, this store has some PC games in the box that are from Black Isle, are you interested?"

"Are these little CD-case sized boxes or the full sized boxed games?"

"Full-sized"

"Ok, what have they got?"

"Planesc-"

"Buy it."

So I now have a shrinkwrapped full sized version of planescape torment that my girlfriend picked up for 50 cents.

Oh, and Icewind Dale 1 too.

Yeah, she rules.

heh, my ex just nagged at me allt he time to get rid of my games since she thought they took to much space. no feelings at all there.

i mean come on, how could i "get rid" of these little babies?

aaazhx.jpg

luckily she never managed to do it.

and btw, sheek, if you are going to re-run the series do it with either the C64 or amiga/Atari-ST versions, much MUCH more enjoyable and colorfull the DOS versions.

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/phantasie-series

THAT IS AWESOME! respect++

and it makes me sad because my ex DID get me to throw mine away. That is why I am rebuilding now. sigh.

dont ever give in man.

DaveO

Erudite
Yeah, you can put in other party members as needed. The roster is full, and Annie called dibs on the Minotaur. Oh well, maybe I can provide some other useful pointers along the way.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I only played Phantasie III on the Amiga, and loved it. I don't think PII was ported to the Amiga and I never got a working (non-pirated) copy of PI.

So I tried running PI with Amiga emulator and for PII I used the DOS version.

While they work and still are fun to play, one thing that annoys me is that the overland is fully explored in all versions and in some versions even the dungeons are explored.
I'm pretty sure this is due to the versions being available for download are cracked versions.

Anyway, are the overland maps in PI and PII *supposed* to be fully explored when you start the game or not? If not, does anyone know where I can find the "unexplored" versions of PI and PII?

DaveO

Erudite
I'm pretty sure there was a 'fog of war' past the first area for land exploration. All dungeons were unmapped, although going in another dungeon resets any that have not been fully explored or completed.

Luzur

Good Sir
DaveO said:
I'm pretty sure there was a 'fog of war' past the first area for land exploration. All dungeons were unmapped, although going in another dungeon resets any that have not been fully explored or completed.

thats because the old dungeon layout get overwritten by the new dungeon or something.

ive made that mistake a few times.
THAT IS AWESOME! respect++

and it makes me sad because my ex DID get me to throw mine away. That is why I am rebuilding now. sigh.

dont ever give in man.

well i used blackmail on my ex, i simply told her:

"if you get rid of my stuff your stuff is next."

works like a charm since they do love their handbags and shoes alot. :wink:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Luzur said:
"Sweden has always been a western country. There were even some people in the 80's calling Sweden the 51st state of the USA since Sweden was and is one of the most "Americanized" countries in Europe."

Feminized, you mean?

Last edited:

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
edit: @ sheek

Did you decide if you were going to go with Phantasie 3 and with the Amiga emulator?

I tried to get Phantasie 3 working on Dos-Box last night and it was giving me attitude about a disk in drive A: and the town graphics weren't showing up.

If you do go the route of the Amiga emulator, tell us where to get the files and set it up.

Luzur

Good Sir
octavius said:
Luzur said:
"Sweden has always been a western country. There were even some people in the 80's calling Sweden the 51st state of the USA since Sweden was and is one of the most "Americanized" countries in Europe."

Feminized, you mean?

taken from an old magazine from 1994.

sheek

Arbiter
I found all the amiga files I need to set them up.

The DOS version of P3 I think I got off myabandongames (posted about it in another thread).

mondblut

Arcane
octavius said:

??? Phantasie 2 was never released for DOS. Only 1 and 3 were. Nor it was released for Amiga, according to Moby and amiga sites. Only Atari and C64 versions are mentioned.

Hm, 3 looks fairly unharmful for the eyes. I might get to play it someday.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Luzur said:

That may have been true back then, but I'm pretty certain Iceland took that "honour" away in the late 90's/early 00's. But since the military base was dismantled in 2006 and the new left-wing pro-Europe government came in power here, that may very well have changed.

As to your gaming collection - Very nice. Though mine is bigger, yours is more focused. You have complete collections of series and software houses that I only have bits and pieces of. I can imagine getting your hands on the early Ultima games having been difficult. Well done. But are they all for the same platform? I see at least 6 Amiga titles in there, and some on the Atari ST and Commodore 64 if I'm not mistaken.

Luzur

Good Sir
Unkillable Cat said:
Luzur said:

That may have been true back then, but I'm pretty certain Iceland took that "honour" away in the late 90's/early 00's. But since the military base was dismantled in 2006 and the new left-wing pro-Europe government came in power here, that may very well have changed.

As to your gaming collection - Very nice. Though mine is bigger, yours is more focused. You have complete collections of series and software houses that I only have bits and pieces of. I can imagine getting your hands on the early Ultima games having been difficult. Well done. But are they all for the same platform? I see at least 6 Amiga titles in there, and some on the Atari ST and Commodore 64 if I'm not mistaken.

well its not the entire collection, got 2 more shelves with NES/SNES and C64 games + 10 boxed Commodore machines, 3 CBM PET's, Atari 520ST, Atari 1040STFM, Apple II.

Heres a complete list of all i own

hopefully you can access this since im not sure how scribd works.

and the Ultimas was among the cheapest i bought over ebay, surprisingly since they have gone up in price in later years.

Luzur

Good Sir
i noticed that it isnt really complete, seems i forgot to add the NES stuff like the powerglove and what not.

oh well.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
mondblut said:
octavius said:

??? Phantasie 2 was never released for DOS. Only 1 and 3 were. Nor it was released for Amiga, according to Moby and amiga sites. Only Atari and C64 versions are mentioned.

Hmm...I must have misremdmbered the details. I thought I found a DOS copy, but I guess I must have used an emulator.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeeeahhh. When your list starting mentioning all the other platforms you own titles on, I knew that I'd been beat. Still, we own a boatload of the same titles (down to some of the same compilations) except on different formats. You on the C-64, I on the Amstrad CPC.

Except for the Amstrad lot, my collection is PC exclusive.

Luzur

Good Sir
i only collect on the systems i once had, like PC and C64/VIC-20,
although i never had a PET but i rescued those 3 from the local dump.

couldnt just let them go to waste like that.

sheek

Arbiter
Blackadder said:
Sheek will have to head back to the drawing board and get the C64 versions. The emulator is, at least, easier to use than the Amiga emulator.
I haven't tried setting up the amiga emulator yet, no time.

Is the C64 the same feature-wise?

Luzur

Good Sir
they all are the same feature-wise, only the graphics change from system to system.

or did you mean the emulator?

Rabidredneck

Liturgist
There seems to be a decided and undesired lack of things getting fwackoomed with wild abandon....

DaveO

Erudite
Apple II had Phantasie I-III as well. If this replay goes much beyond the first dungeon, I'll keep my eyes open to see if Sheek needs some help.

sheek said:
Blackadder said:
Sheek will have to head back to the drawing board and get the C64 versions. The emulator is, at least, easier to use than the Amiga emulator.
I haven't tried setting up the amiga emulator yet, no time.

Is the C64 the same feature-wise?

It will be a tad slower, but the graphics and sound (not to mention the fact you will be able to play through the trilogy) are better than the PC/IBM version.

Get either VICE or CCS64 emulators, read up on their workings, and get cracking. If you get stuck, post in here for help.

I think you may need to rename this thread and keep it as a help desk, while starting a fresh new thread for the Lets Play content.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom