Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play: Phantasie! (1st dungeon)

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I can't get this to work with DosBox or D-fend reloaded.

it will run, but it thinks it is running from the floppy and won't load the graphics for the town nor save correctly.

Pointers?

Where did you download it from? I got it from here - <a href='http://www.hotud.org/RPG/Phantasie-1.html'>Phantasie I</a>. I just started it up, and didn't seem to have any problems.

Redeye

Arcane
Anthony Davis said:
I can't get this to work with DosBox or D-fend reloaded.

it will run, but it thinks it is running from the floppy and won't load the graphics for the town nor save correctly.

Pointers?

Ironically, pointers might be the problem.

Where do the files from the different folders direct to and from?

In an emulator, files on the real computer are sometimes not in synch with the files that are set up on the "imaginary computer".

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
I've got the same issue. I run it on DOSBox, mount the drive I want, and try to run the .exe, but no dice - it just doesn't open it.

I am sad at this because I want to play that game again and be a minotaur. GRAAAAAAAGH!

In the version I've got, the .exe doesn't do anything either. However, there's also a .bat file (ph.bat) that came with it. Running that file instead starts the game up without any problems.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
Flux, you should get an "Annie's favorite person" or "made Annie a minotaur" tag for being so awesome. :D

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Flux_Capacitor said:
Where did you download it from? I got it from here - <a href='http://www.hotud.org/RPG/Phantasie-1.html'>Phantasie I</a>. I just started it up, and didn't seem to have any problems.

Oh I should have been more specific, this is Phantasie 3 I am trying to get to run.

Anthony Davis said:
Flux_Capacitor said:

Oh I should have been more specific, this is Phantasie 3 I am trying to get to run.
Yeah, I missed your earlier post about it. Sorry about that.

I got it to work by fiddling around with a bunch of stuff. However, if you just want the end results, here's the solution I came up with - make a copy of the TOWN.CMP file, and rename it to DTOWN.CMP. Make sure you keep TOWN.CMP as well, otherwise you'll just see another error message. Then, when starting, say that you want to play off the hard drive. After that, I see the town image, and I don't seem to be receiving that a: drive error message.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Flux_Capacitor said:
Anthony Davis said:
Flux_Capacitor said:

Yeah, I missed your earlier post about it. Sorry about that.

I got it to work by fiddling around with a bunch of stuff. However, if you just want the end results, here's the solution I came up with - make a copy of the TOWN.CMP file, and rename it to DTOWN.CMP. Make sure you keep TOWN.CMP as well, otherwise you'll just see another error message. Then, when starting, say that you want to play off the hard drive. After that, I see the town image, and I don't seem to be receiving that a: drive error message.

Awesome, that's exactly what I needed to know. I did something earlier to try and get this to work, but instead of copying TOWN.CMP, I renamed it.

Thanks a ton!

DaveO

Erudite
So, is it a safe bet that Annie the Minotaur is roaming around and wreaking havoc? I hope Anthony has been able to get #3 to run thanks to Flux_Capacitor.

Luzur

Good Sir
i wonder why no one is trying to do some graphics reworks on these games like those for Ultima?

Obsidian could buy the franschise and rework them ;)

DaveO

Erudite
This game is from the 8-bit era of computers, and many people think gaming started after the 8-bit era crash in the 80s. :roll:

Luzur

Good Sir
DaveO said:
This game is from the 8-bit era of computers, and many people think gaming started after the 8-bit era crash in the 80s. :roll:

even more reason to educate the mongrel masses of today.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
Believe me, while replaying it, the "god I would love to play this on my DS" thought kept resurfacing. I would really love to remake it.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
If I had the funding, duckie, you bet your sweet internet ass I would. I wonder that there's not more quality DS development of RPGs in particular, but yeah. I've considered actually bugging 5th Cell - local very excellent DS developer - but the sort of background expectations they have for designers working on handhelds is very different from those in console or PC work. I'm not holding it outside the realm of possibility, though. They've got a great group there, and they do really shiny stuff instead of the shovelware shit of way too many DS dev studios out there.

Also, since you need to fuss with new engines and dev kits and whatnot, and lots of companies shoot for larger, more ambitious projects, you're far more likely to find a standard console/PC developer doing a smaller title for Live or PSN than DS or PSP, which are mainly, as said, done by specialty houses (like Ready at Dawn). The fact that BioWare did Sonic Chronicles was startling for that break from the usual tradition, as well as WTF SONIC RPG WHAAAAT and so on.

Anyhow. MOAR PHANTASIE! Why is a minotaur not in this playthrough yet? They're so good at mashing things.

Interesting. I've never heard of that developer, although I don't really keep up with most handheld developers. I grew up in the Redmond area, and now live about an hour north of Seattle (Mount Vernon). They do have a couple openings for programmers, but my C++ skills are probably far too rusty. Working with it for several years was plenty. Its not that its a bad language per se, its just that there's so many more alternatives now that aren't such a major pain. At least for the PC. I do understand why they have to use it, considering the relatively limited resources of a handheld.

As a hobby/indie project, it might be better to try for something like the iPhone. Off hand, I don't know the costs of dev kits for the DS or most handhelds, but the iPhone is cheap. Except you can only (legally) do development on a Mac.

DaveO

Erudite
I'm watching this thread, and I'm not going to let it die in vain. I'm hoping sheek is just working out the technical details.

Luzur

Good Sir
Annie Carlson said:
If I had the funding, duckie, you bet your sweet internet ass I would. I wonder that there's not more quality DS development of RPGs in particular, but yeah. I've considered actually bugging 5th Cell - local very excellent DS developer - but the sort of background expectations they have for designers working on handhelds is very different from those in console or PC work. I'm not holding it outside the realm of possibility, though. They've got a great group there, and they do really shiny stuff instead of the shovelware shit of way too many DS dev studios out there.

Also, since you need to fuss with new engines and dev kits and whatnot, and lots of companies shoot for larger, more ambitious projects, you're far more likely to find a standard console/PC developer doing a smaller title for Live or PSN than DS or PSP, which are mainly, as said, done by specialty houses (like Ready at Dawn). The fact that BioWare did Sonic Chronicles was startling for that break from the usual tradition, as well as WTF SONIC RPG WHAAAAT and so on.

Anyhow. MOAR PHANTASIE! Why is a minotaur not in this playthrough yet? They're so good at mashing things.

duckie? :|

anyway, why not tinker on some hobby homebrew engine/graphics rework? if i was still in the programming business (havent touched it since my C64 days, when i used to make text adventures now and then.) or knew much about graphics i would be tinkering on some reworks of both Might and Magic and SSI games.

DaveO said:
I'm watching this thread, and I'm not going to let it die in vain. I'm hoping sheek is just working out the technical details.

i believe he is trolling the GD department of this forum atm.

DaveO

Erudite
I looked over the classes and spell progressions, and the best mix seems to be fighter, ranger, priest, monk, thief, and wizard. Don't forget about splitting experience shares and that the wizards need the most experience to advance.

sirfink

Scholar
Annie Carlson said:
Believe me, while replaying it, the "god I would love to play this on my DS" thought kept resurfacing. I would really love to remake it.

You could always run another version (like the Apple 2) on your DS with an emulator. Is there a DOS emulator for the DS?

Luzur

Good Sir
sirfink said:
Annie Carlson said:

You could always run another version (like the Apple 2) on your DS with an emulator. Is there a DOS emulator for the DS?

not that im aware of.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
"Duckie" is my go-to slightly-sarcastic-but-not-in-a-mean-way term of endearment. Imagine it said with a wry twist of the mouth and you've got it.

Also, if I had the means, I'd redo Phantasie entirely. New graphics, adaptable (if for DS) to the touchscreen interface (touching buildings for access to their functionality - like the Bank or Guild - instead of simple panels), and possibly do a kind of Eye of the Beholder view of the dungeon on the bottom screen (and the standard overview on the top). The more sadistic could also have a "disarm the trap" minigame, or just let the thief do it.

This so could work. GIVE ME FUNDING AND A DEV TEAM, STAT! ...Oh, and the rights to remake it. Bugger. That's one of the harder parts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom