Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Playeth: Arcanum

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
This is off to a good start. Hopefully you'll keep it up.

Black

Arcane
There isn't but that doesn't mean the LP can't be good.

Rabidredneck

Liturgist
I think it's a good idea to give the unofficial patch a public workout. It's one thing to read a changelog to see what it does, but seeing it in action is far better in my book.

I used to own Arcanum, but never really got far into it. I will be following this lets play with interest.

Nedrah

Erudite
Emotional Vampire said:
Trash said:
What the fuck is this? Be glad someone actually takes the trouble to write an LP. If you don't like it, don't read it. If you have some constructive criticism, write it down and if you're just a whiny sack of shit who only bitches about others you need to shut the fuck up.

Shut the fuck up.

NO U

Let the fucking naysayers nay! I tried playing Arcanum but it was boring and really damn buggy. I quit when it decided to corrupt my save file 75% of the way through the game. I kept hoping it would get better, but combat went from being slightly difficult and boring, to pointlessly easy and boring. This LP might just pique my interest in the game again especially after Drog's patch.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Marquis de Retardot said:
Let the fucking naysayers nay! I tried playing Arcanum but it was boring and really damn buggy. I quit when it decided to corrupt my save file 75% of the way through the game. I kept hoping it would get better, but combat went from being slightly difficult and boring, to pointlessly easy and boring. This LP might just pique my interest in the game again especially after Drog's patch.

My playthrough of Arcanum of similar. It was fun for like, the first quarter of the game, but then turned to be bland and awfully boring at the end, and I just kept playing it because I hoped it would turn 'oh so awesome' eventually as I had been lead to believe it was, but alas, it kept getting worse and worse.

Rabidredneck said:
I think it's a good idea to give the unofficial patch a public workout. It's one thing to read a changelog to see what it does, but seeing it in action is far better in my book.

The difference is HUGELY noticeable. Very polished, very clean, and I haven't run into a single bug yet.

Seriously, props to Drog for the excellent patch. The extra pack as well, is superb.

The action-packed second chapter to this saga will soon be ready. Prepare for some hardxcore gifs and fanfic-esque narratives.

Qwinn

Scholar
I never got past Quintarra myself, the huge long dungeon crawls (not my favorite part of RPGs) in BMC and then the other dwarf clan just wear me out every time I try. So I'll be checking this out to see if what I've consistently missed really is as good as some folks have said it is.

Qwinn

Murk

Arcane
Black said:
There isn't but that doesn't mean the LP can't be good.

Yeah, I'd keep up with this. Can you actually manage to go all the way through or will this be like Jaime Lannister's abandoned PS:T LP? His too was very polished and well presented but... well, I don't think he even got out of the mortuary...

Double Ogre

Scholar
Qwinn said:
I never got past Quintarra myself, the huge long dungeon crawls (not my favorite part of RPGs) in BMC and then the other dwarf clan just wear me out every time I try.
Bullshit. BMC is short if you don't loot everything and just go straight to the dwarf, and you can also use the exit scroll that's lying around on one of the bodies to teleport out when you're done. In addition, the Wheel Clan dungeon (Dredge) is optional.

Come to think of it, the Weeping Catacombs in PS:T are much more annoying.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I am amused by how Arcanum fans seem to only use Torment as a leverage for showing how Arcanum is better.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wyrmlord said:
I am amused by how Arcanum fans seem to only use Torment as a leverage for showing how Arcanum is better.
He's talking to Qwinn. Maybe there's a reason why he's comparing it to PST? :roll:

Double Ogre

Scholar
Wyrmlord said:
Please don't make generalizations. I just gave an example that would be familiar to Qwinn.

Qwinn

Scholar
Even if you do a direct line approach to the BMC dwarf (skipping most of the dungeon, which leaves me feeling dissatisfied, and -not- an optimal solution, if I -have- to skip a lot of content for the game to remain fun, that's not a good thing), there is no way in -hell- that you can compare the amount of combat in the Weeping Stones Catacombs (number of combats is probably in the single digits in each zone, no more than ten minutes tops in each to deal with it) compared to the number of combats in BMC and the Wheel Clan. Come on.

Qwinn

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Looks like an interesting read. I've been meaning to replay Arcanum lately, but can't dedicate the time right now. If you keep it up and manage to stick with your presentation all of the way through, this should fill in nicely for a proper play through.

Nice work so far.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Cloaked Figure/Shota/Abraham/whatever, can you just pick an alt and stick with it instead of constantly switching?

Anyways good luck with the lp, it's hard to make them interesting for people if it's a game most have played.

Double Ogre

Scholar
Qwinn said:
if I -have- to skip a lot of content for the game to remain fun, that's not a good thing
But that's the beauty of Arcanum. It's impossible to do everything in one play through. You're effectively skipping a lot of content in each play through, because the role-playing system is very complex and allows for a great variety of character builds.

Considering the BMC, I suppose, mostly melee builds will find pleasure in looting the whole dungeon. However, you may bring a medium sized party with you as well. Usually, I go there at level 12-14 and skip around one third of the dungeon. There's no real need for munchkinism in C&C heavy RPGs.

Qwinn

Scholar
It's impossible to do everything in one play through.

I'm not talking about mutually exclusive alternate paths. Those indeed are usually a good thing. I'm talking about something completely different - which is not being able to comfortably enjoy all the content given whatever C&C you've picked. Needing to ignore a significant portion of the dungeons you come across because there's just too damn much of it counts.

My playstyle is completionist. I like to uncover every last little nugget of content in a given game. That is what is enjoyable to me. Skipping content is -not- enjoyable. The long dungeon slogs in Arcanum are a turn-off to me because I feel like I'm slacking if I don't do them, and I'm bored as hell if I do do them.

(As for bringing a full party to get through it quicker, the lousy mechanism whereby your party steals the vast majority of your xp from you - even moreso than in other games, it seems - discourages that greatly. Add to that the inventory micromanagement every time you come across an armor-and-weapon destroying golem or similar critter, which seems to be constantly, and playing with a full party is even more painful than soloing.)

Qwinn

1eyedking

Erudite
Let's play Arcanum? More like let's LARP Arcanum, am I right?

Also, a mage? Go for an Ironman gunslinger, you pussy!

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
GET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGURE GET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGUREGET OUT OF HERE CLOACKED FIGURE

Double Ogre

Scholar
Qwinn said:
I'm talking about something completely different - which is not being able to comfortably enjoy all the content given whatever C&C you've picked.
Different builds = different difficulty. It's C&C, as well.
Qwinn said:
I like to uncover every last little nugget of content in a given game.
Qwinn said:
The long dungeon slogs in Arcanum are a turn-off to me because I feel like I'm slacking if I don't do them, and I'm bored as hell if I do do them.
Qwinn said:
your party steals the vast majority of your xp from you
I feel sorry for you if you can't enjoy a game without min/maxing everything.
Qwinn said:
Add to that the inventory micromanagement every time you come across an armor-and-weapon destroying golem or similar critter, which seems to be constantly
Oh, and please don't exaggerate. There's only a few golems there.

Qwinn

Scholar
"Oh, and please don't exaggerate. There's only a few golems there."

Between BMC and the Wheel Clan, I'm betting there are more golems than there are combats of any kind in the entire "annoying" Weeping Stone Catacombs.

And yup, I like to maximize my character's potential. Why? Cause I think that's how a truly heroic character would behave. He's going to want to maximize his -own- potential, cause if he doesn't, he'll get killed.

I don't do it to extremes. I won't maximize if it otherwise conflicts with the character's personality as I see it, I don't exploit bugs, etc. But the character I generally play isn't going to be content with leaving a third to a half of a dungeon populated with brutal evil creatures lying around to terrorize the countryside or otherwise just slaughter the next person who needs to go there for something. If I go into a dungeon, it's to clear it out. And clearing out dungeons in Arcanum ain't fun for me.

Pretty much everyone agrees that the orc caves in the NWN2 OC are annoying as all hell. That's how Arcanum's dungeons feel to me. Except that I got through the orc caves quicker.

(And please don't bring up "The Wheel Clan dungeon is optional" again - it's a pretty major quest to have to skip for the sake of not wanting another long dungeon slog.)

Qwinn

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Pretty much everyone agrees that the orc caves in the NWN2 OC are annoying as all hell. That's how Arcanum's dungeons feel to me. Except that I got through the orc caves quicker.

That's not a real problem : you can just not play the goddamn game

kodfskopodkpsokdaps

Fuck you codex

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom