Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Liberal Crime Squad

Marobug

LCS is a awesome roguelike, perhaps even my favorite, initially made by bay12 of dward fortress fame and now maintained by the community.
It's not a roguelike in the traditional sense, you have a little more management and less adventuring to do than usual and it's set in modern times but it's awesome.

http://lcs.wikidot.com/

Stalinhater

Educated
I discovered LCS a while ago, and have recently started playing it again. It's completely and utterly awesome!

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Tarn Adams is a genius. LCS is amazing.

I wish he'd stop building a complete world simulator and focus on gameplay ideas..

Arkady

Novice
Be warned while im wrtiting my first post here.
I've just read wiki page and was like WTF. It looks like nice game conception ( would be awesome to play roguelike Republic: the Revolution ), but they just fucked up protagonist idea. If I wanted to see some liberal hiv feminazi fag stuff, i'd type european union in google.
On the other hand, if devs allowed to choose a side of conflict and to play as a commie- slayer group, I'd love to waste my time on this shit.

Marobug

Arkady said:
Be warned while im wrtiting my first post here.
I've just read wiki page and was like WTF. It looks like nice game conception ( would be awesome to play roguelike Republic: the Revolution ), but they just fucked up protagonist idea. If I wanted to see some liberal hiv feminazi fag stuff, i'd type european union in google.
On the other hand, if devs allowed to choose a side of conflict and to play as a commie- slayer group, I'd love to waste my time on this shit.

What do you mean by "they just fucked protagonist idea" ?
I don't think it's meant to be advertize liberal ideals, personally I don't really give a shit about the politics in the game other than they being related to the final objective of the game.

Arkady

Novice
Yeah, I know its like Dungeon Keeper with leftists instead of Imps and so on, and only gameplay matters. But let me express my disapproval and disappointment that I can't play other political options as well :). Choice is always welcome in any game with rivalry fractions fighting each other.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Huh? On the contrary - http://lcs.wikidot.com/political-system – looks like a mocking up of popular “libertarian” AND “conservative” ideas, than anything else. They just make a parody of both political systems, no need to be so serious about - and just enjoy of the game.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
You really gotta be a retard to get upset by the political setting of this game.

Marobug

Arkady said:
Yeah, I know its like Dungeon Keeper with leftists instead of Imps and so on, and only gameplay matters. But let me express my disapproval and disappointment that I can't play other political options as well :). Choice is always welcome in any game with rivalry fractions fighting each other.

Well it's your opinion and I respect it even if in all honesty I don't think it's a good reason to completely overlook a game.
By the way I think the reason why you can only play with the liberals is because in the original version (when it was still maintained by bay12) there was no conservative crime squad. Also given how the game plays it would be redundant whether you play as the conservative or liberals crime squads.

gromit

Arcane
I hold issue with the values and actions of a character in a work of satire
Candide, Redmond Barry, and Holden Caufield are a pack of whiners; how am I supposed to be vicariously awesome through these people? Also, I prefer The OC and Jersey Shore to Vanity Fair, as they seem cooler to hang out with. On a related note, The Great Gatsby sucks.

(OK, that last one's true.)

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
CorpseZeb said:
Huh? On the contrary - http://lcs.wikidot.com/political-system – looks like a mocking up of popular “libertarian” AND “conservative” ideas, than anything else. They just make a parody of both political systems, no need to be so serious about - and just enjoy of the game.

Looks that way to me too, and nobody gets more butthurt about shoving real life politics into my games than I do. Still won't play it though because roguelikes are shit. :smug:

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Redeye said:
Conservative Crime Squad?

What would that be like?

Kissinger.jpg

Too easy to make a game out of.

Data4

Arcane
CorpseZeb said:

Looks more to me to be a straight up piss take on liberals.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
^^ Agreed

Even if you are leftist you are going to disagree with enough of Squad's goals. You hump your shoulders and play the game.

Topher

Cipher
The politics have practically nothing to do with gameplay and the whole thing is satire anyway so who the fuck cares and to be honest it's really more of a cult simulator. My leader "Veritas" kidnaps and seduces young college girls to fuel his prostitution empire, runs a full time campaign based around posting pictures of aborted fetuses all around town, attends college classes and sends "messengers of the liberal agenda" around to all the local shops armed with shotguns and AK-47's. I sent five of my followers by the courthouse where they "promoted" liberal blood lust and gunned down workers, lawyers and secretaries before being fed to the "fire of holly liberalism" by local police. I mean fuck, I went door to door in some apartment building breaking into peoples homes and just gunning them down.

thursday

Novice
003-4.jpg

I love LCS, and am a little surprised at the people who didn't get it. The "game" part's not that spectacular, but the satire is very clever. It's probably the best satirical game in existence, not that I can think of another. Despite the politics, kidnapping, torturing, stealing, and murdering, it feels light-hearted. There's no bitterness towards either liberals or conservatives. It's hard for me to imagine Tarn Adams making this after playing Dwarf Fortress. I've had to revise my impression of him as a math/simulation junkie, and after playing the game still don't know the guy's politics (perhaps apolitical?).

I always went for a super-charismatic leader and rounded up a bunch of bitter, lonely programmers to steal credit card numbers for me before I got going. In my more recent games, I'd find another very charismatic person to do the recruiting--usually by rounding up a group of hippies, choosing the highest Charisma+Heart and lowest Wisdom (hehe), and sending the rest on a suicide mission to beat up as many hangin' judges in the courthouse as they could before getting gunned down. This was so that if anyone ratted, it would come back to my second-in-command and not me, leaving me free to my liberal machinations. When it was time to start breaking doors down, I'd try to kidnap an MIB from the Courthouse/Mayor's house and brainwash him (used to try to make him my love-slave, but sometimes he'd raise my WIS with his conservative dinner-talk). 50% of the time no one would notice he was gone and he would become a sleeper, warning me in advance if the police were planning a raid on my compound. The rest of the time, he'd have to stay with the squad. Easy killing machine. Repeat as necessary.

One thing I wanted to try out: get a group of college kids and train them with swords, then run around dispensing justice with a band of LARPers. Maybe next game.

Zomg

Arbiter
Gotta differentiate between Tarn's last version and the guy that took it over for him later, Tarn's was mostly a parody of red guard revolutionaries, stuff like the SLA and the Baader-Meinhof gang; the later guy was less focused and implemented various things the forum wanted so it lost the straightforward satire.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Topher said:
The politics have practically nothing to do with gameplay and the whole thing is satire anyway so who the fuck cares and to be honest it's really more of a cult simulator. My leader "Veritas" kidnaps and seduces young college girls to fuel his prostitution empire, runs a full time campaign based around posting pictures of aborted fetuses all around town, attends college classes and sends "messengers of the liberal agenda" around to all the local shops armed with shotguns and AK-47's. I sent five of my followers by the courthouse where they "promoted" liberal blood lust and gunned down workers, lawyers and secretaries before being fed to the "fire of holly liberalism" by local police. I mean fuck, I went door to door in some apartment building breaking into peoples homes and just gunning them down.
Sounds awesome :lol: .

Teepo

Scholar
This game is fun though I sort of simmer down and forget what to do. Also, eventually cops are always over my ass so I am focused on moving between safehouses. Gets annoying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom