Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Mask of the Betrayer Review

Jora

Arcane
George Ziets, apparently.

"George Ziets is a designer at Obsidian Entertainment. He was recruited late in NWN2 development. He worked on giving the opening locale more life and on an opening twist to introduce the player to the Forgotten Realms. He served as Creative Lead for Mask of the Betrayer.

He previously worked on the Lord of the Rings Online (LOTR) MMORPG."

http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/George_Ziets

Badesumofu

Novice
Kevin Saunders was the Lead Designer. He and George should both be added to The Pantheon, I believe.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I'm playing MOTB right now.
It is a great experience so far, but I am not really that far into the game. I have to admit, I died a lot, but the moment that encapsulated the kind of fascination I take to the game came when I turned Okku the spirit God into a whirling dervish of a chicken. I thought the polymorph was permanent, but it changed back after the fight; too bad I would not have minded traveling with a spirit chicken as some quasi familiar.

Lumpy

Arcane
I would like to mention that the whole of Ashenwood fucking sucks balls.
You are cursed. A dark hunger resides within you. OK, now fight 20 trolls to win a stupid game.
I suppose it was designed by some retarded ex-Bioware dev. It's in their style.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Yo VD, ya got pwned BIZATCH! Dont worry was fun 4 me hope u livin it up large in ur crappy forum just dont come to my territory again or ill fux u up a second time lol.

Seriously though, it is interesting that someone takes so much pleasure in it all. I guess he feels like he is the puppetmaster, deceiving and manipulating everyone... by calling the cops.

Jora

Arcane
The frost giant part is hilarious:

"You still have the challenge rule?"

*XP granted for becoming the jarl of a clan of frost giants and immediately kicking everyone out of the clan*

Badesumofu

Novice
I like it when you demand tribute and the old Jarl says "I think you is going to make good Jarl, you sure you not been Jarl before"? or something to that effect.

I loved the Frost Giant dialouges. The challenge was a bit silly, though sort of amusing to carve them all up and then kick them off the island. Then put the spirit of flame in the tree husk thing :twisted:

pug987

Scholar
Unless I missed something, nothing different really. The spirit berserker doesn't seem to mind. The woodman comments that you burn down his forest but this could be due to the encounter with the fire spirit, if you decide to burn down the trees and not cause you used it's essence.

Badesumofu

Novice
Well the reason I did it, rather than use a brilliant spirit essence, was that he had been punished for bringing a previous incarnation of the SE to the Woodman. Given that I was trying to get to the Woodman myself, I felt sympathetic to him, and agreed that the forest ought to feel his pain.

You get chaotic points, I think, but sadly nothing really interesting happens. it doesn't feel like 'an evil choice for the sake of an evil choice', there's a good RP reason (certainly there was for my CN char) to do it, but no real consequence. Shame, it could have made a good submission for the contest.

Balor

Arcane
Hey, you guys keep telling how easy it is to play with full craving bar. Is it REALLY that easy? Even on very low level of craving it seem to deplete rather fast, and what horrors await you at full bar?
Rest with full bar or die? Find a lot of spirits right after resting or, well, die a shortly thereafter?
Can you at least consume spirits/undead you summon yourself?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I think I won't try to finish the OC and will start fresh from MotB. Does anyone know if there are any class-specific dialogues concerning the new prestige classes from the expansion?

Hory

Erudite
Elwro said:
I think I won't try to finish the OC and will start fresh from MotB. Does anyone know if there are any class-specific dialogues concerning the new prestige classes from the expansion?
How far are you into the OC? It gets better and better after the first act.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
In England where is the cheapest place to buy Mask of the Betrayer? I've found it for £13.99 with free delivery from DVD on the internet.

Elwro

Arcane
@Hory: Well, I think I'm near the end of chapter 1 now. I finished some caves in which I found a special piece of armour for Khelgar, some paladin joined me and I'm at the entrance to the caves of the Eyegouge clan (translation (c) me). I'd endure, I think, but my copy of The Witcher should arrive tomorrow or on Wednesday and it'll keep me occupied until MotB comes out in Poland (December the 6th).

And, frankly, I think I want to change my character. Playing a pure Cleric is fun, but I'd like to try something else in the expansion.

Badesumofu

Novice
Sounds like you still have the wearhouse to do when you get back from the orcs. After that, it does get better.

I found a Fighter is fun in MotB. Invisible Blade dual weild type with high Dex, or Supreme Cleaving FB with high Str, fun either way. You'll crve everything up no trouble, and you wont have to spend 10 rounds buffing before every fight to do it.

The OC does get better after the first act, but playing MotB really drove home to me just how... mediocre the OC is. Bottom line is, if you're having to force yourself to play it, it's probably not worth it.

Elwro

Arcane
Whoa, no. I did the fucking "save the informer from the warehouse" quest already.

Or...

...is there another warehouse? :shudders:

Lumpy

Arcane
Was my spirit meter fucked up? It started at about 25%, and I could get it down to the minimum value in a very short time. That spirit heal feat I got from the Woodsie Lord was pointless, since Kaelyn could do the same, and there was no room to reduce my craving any further.

Balor

Arcane
It's not spirit, it's 'craving' meter. And it's indeed VERY easy, unless you want an all-out 'bring em on' spirit-gorger, running around with full craving bar all the time... and there is no 'middle ground'.

Anyway, who was boasting that he's playing with full craving bar and it's insanely easy? Care to give an advice or two? I mean, the game does not seem to be (fortunately) a nonstop hack&slash, therefore there bound to areas with no 'food'. Now, if you could consume your summons - that would be better... but, unless I'm mistaken, you cannot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom