Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect 1/2: Under-rated or shit?

GaemzDood

Educated
Rather then type something witty or at least attempting to be witty, I'm just going to give straight up reasons why Mass Effect is BioWare's most overrated game since Jade Empire. Pretentious story & writing, deus ex machinas everywhere (Kai Leng, basically the whole series), terrible combat (specifically in 1 & 3; 2's combat was passable at best), linear progression, retarded business practices, glitches everywhere (specifically in Mass Effect 1 on PC & Mass Effect 3), turd person shooters still passed off as RPGs even though its proven they're not, & the way its affected gaming (every console popamole RPG now has to have a shit ass dialogue wheel).

PunkPkunk

Educated
Rather then type something witty or at least attempting to be witty, I'm just going to give straight up reasons why Mass Effect is BioWare's most overrated game since Jade Empire. Pretentious story & writing, deus ex machinas everywhere (Kai Leng, basically the whole series), terrible combat (specifically in 1 & 3; 2's combat was passable at best), linear progression, retarded business practices, glitches everywhere (specifically in Mass Effect 1 on PC & Mass Effect 3), turd person shooters still passed off as RPGs even though its proven they're not, & the way its affected gaming (every console popamole RPG now has to have a shit ass dialogue wheel).

Eh, I liked combat in 1 since it was more or less stat based; it made no sense that a wtfawesome guy like shepherd couldn't hit anything, but in a game with blue tentacle women...yeah.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
deus ex machinas everywhere (Kai Leng, basically the whole series)
I'd fit him more under bad writing in general, in that he's basically a lame Capcom villain who's obviously supposed to be the super evil equivalent and equal of Shepard, but he constantly gets his ass kicked (and has trouble fighting a terminally ill man with breathing problems), constantly needs assistance just to level the playing field, only to kick your ass in a cutscene and wind up winning because the plot says so.

Only part that really annoyed me was the cutscene after, where Shepard starts angsting over not being as good as Kai Leng and your crew tries to cheer you up by essentially saying "It's ok that you got your candy ass handed to you, Shepard. It's not your fault he's got a bigger penis than you."

GaemzDood

Educated

Eh, I liked combat in 1 since it was more or less stat based; it made no sense that a wtfawesome guy like shepherd couldn't hit anything, but in a game with blue tentacle women...yeah.
It didn't really matter if the combat in Mass Effect 1 is stat based because the game uses level scaling.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Mass Effect == OK
Mass Effect 2 == AWESOME
Mass Effect 3 == WHAT IN THE FUCK BIOWARE? BURN IN HELL! (The ending was EXCELLENT By the way).

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mass Effect 1 seemed a bit confused about what it wanted to be, but it was basically ok for what it was -- a shooter with some light RPG elements. Mass Effect 2 decided it wanted to just be a shooter with a simple skill system tacked on. It did that well, even if it wasn't an RPG by any sane standards. Actually, I'd say it did what it was trying to do rather excellently. The story was cheesy B-movie sci-fi drek, and provided ample amusement in the form of mockery.

Never played Mass Effect 3.

If you were looking for an actual RPG, ME is kind of shit. If you want to play a corny sci-fi movie with inexplicable breaks in the action to become a fed ex delivery man, it's pretty good.

I found this guy to have some interesting posts on ME series:

http://wwwthinkinginsidethebox.blogspot.com/search/label/Mass Effect?m=0

So far, I've had a mixed bag with RPG add-ons. Fallout 3's were generally very good

While I liked FNV, and recognize much of its storytelling worth for its use of themes of Americana, I feel it didn't have as powerful a draw nor as compelling an overall tale as Fallout 3 did
:hmmm:

EDIT: God, I'm so tired of Bethtards making incoherent rantings about Fallout: New Vegas "flaws" and design choices they cannot comprehend.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I liked Mass Effect despite it's massive flaws. Something about Ridley Scott dick sucking really gets my attention, plus it was somewhat cool to fly down to random planet X and Y and roll around looking for shit, even if you ended up not finding anything 'cause hey the budget ran out. It also handled the machine and man standard shit pretty well for a video game and some of the late-game conversations with extinct aliens and reaper genocide machines were interesting.

Holy shit that inventory system though. My God.

Mass Effect 2 and 3 were okay, not good. I don't think I realized what a linear shooter mess ME2 was until I tried replaying it (never try replaying it). ME3 is even worse with its multiplayer maps as singleplayer "quests." Everyone complains about the ending but the ending was the least of that banal arena shooting fest's problems IMO. Two and three just reek of cashing-in and making money while the first, as flawed as it was, seemed to be about making a 70's/80's style sci-fi shooter RPG with a lot of ambition and heart.

In short, first one is good, second and third are okay and worth playing once. First one can easily survive on its own into posterity, the ending isn't THAT cliffhanger-y.

Sabriana

Learned
ME1 = Meh, but it was supposed to be the set-up for a trilogy
ME2 = Action Shooter. Moving along
ME3 = What the hell were they smoking? It must've been something that kills brain-cells by the millions

However, of all ME games, ME3 brought me the most hours of pure entertainment due to fan reactions everywhere.

I never was very interested in the ME series, because it has features (that are getting progressively worse from installment to installment) which I intensely dislike in my games:
cinematics
auto-dialogue
paraphrasing
voiced pro-tag. Oh how I hate the voiced pro-tag. I know I'm in a losing position, because a voiced pro-tag is apparently the new shit, but I hate it. Hate, hate, hate it.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
I found this guy to have some interesting posts on ME series:

http://wwwthinkinginsidethebox.blogspot.com/search/label/Mass Effect?m=0

So far, I've had a mixed bag with RPG add-ons. Fallout 3's were generally very good

While I liked FNV, and recognize much of its storytelling worth for its use of themes of Americana, I feel it didn't have as powerful a draw nor as compelling an overall tale as Fallout 3 did
:hmmm:

EDIT: God, I'm so tired of Bethtards making incoherent rantings about Fallout: New Vegas "flaws" and design choices they cannot comprehend.

If you're going to make non-sequoturs at the very least be on topic.

Black Shogun

Educated
Mass Effect= Ok game, wasn't great.
Mass Effect 2= Story took a dive for the gameplay. Action Shooter.
Mass Effect 3: Electric Bugaloo= Give me my money back Bioware.

Psquit

Arcane
Mass Effect= Ok game, wasn't great.
Mass Effect 2= Story took a dive for the gameplay. Action Shooter.
Mass Effect 3: Electric Bugaloo= Give me my money back Bioware.

Mass effect= Reapers, ancient machine race allied with the geth trying to bring doom to organic life
Mass effect 2= Ancient corrupted Protean race an some geths trying to bring doom to organic life again...
Mass effect 3= The Reapers appears out of nowhere an start to harvest organic life... kinda funny cause in mass effect 1 the citadel was kinda the portal to the reapers dimension or something like that.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
In ME3 citadel is a reaper god, isn't it?

SwiftCrack

Arcane
In ME3 citadel is a reaper god, isn't it?

it just houses the gay kid of shepards emo dreams that has the plot-device power and will to kill everything organic (that is advanced) with synthetics because otherwise synthetics would kill organics

i guess you could call it a reaper god and get a lead-writer position at bioware though

GeorgeWood

Educated
ME games were great, and I hope in future, Bioware will use more special effects for cinematic effect. The technology used for Mass Effect graphics is not much different from Steven Spielberg's ''War of The Worlds'', so we shoul get more interactive experience.

C'mon Bioware, give us more ME greatness, more challenge, more enemy types, spacefights, rpg elements, romances, planes, and automobiles. We'll eat it up.

Leave multiplayer to birds, we want more story-based Shepard experience.

Sabriana

Learned
ME games were great, and I hope in future, Bioware will use more special effects for cinematic effect. The technology used for Mass Effect graphics is not much different from Steven Spielberg's ''War of The Worlds'', so we shoul get more interactive experience.

C'mon Bioware, give us more ME greatness, more challenge, more enemy types, spacefights, rpg elements, romances, planes, and automobiles. We'll eat it up.

Leave multiplayer to birds, we want more story-based Shepard experience.

This is either a very poor attempt at trolling, or you are heavily into mind-altering substances. I can't decide yet...

Sabriana

Learned
You do? But it's so cliche, in a way. Praise a shit game and/or developer to high heaven and sit back and watch the shit storm. It seems so yesterday, you know? No imagination, no effort. Sad, really.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
what do you think of retsupurae, wood?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom