Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect 1/2: Under-rated or shit?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
They removed the Mako and replaced it with two things; a shuttle (!) and a hover tank that controlled a lot better.
Yeah! you just need to pay 10 bucks to enjoy the improved version! In my case, i coudnt bother pirating more DLC for ME2 so i dont know if the hammerhead is better less shit!
Regardless of your unfortunate financial situation, the Mako is an absolutely retarded type of transport when compared to alternatives that can fly and hover.

If something doesn't work you replace it with shit that works! That's the way it goes.
But that is the question! they havent replaced shit! they improved the shooting from shit to mediocre, axing or dumbing down everything else in the process,and adding more dumb shit like minigames!
Now I'm going to have to do a Sonic the hedgehog and waggle my finger at you, all one of them. I suppose we're arguing about personal taste for the most part but I really don't see it as "dumbing down" if you make a feature less tedious. Less tedious is good. The minigames are the only thing ME2 did worse than ME1, which had an, I think, admirable stance of putting a "fuck you minigame"-button below every puzzle so long as you had omnigel. As to the "QUALITY" of the minigames however, I would say that ME2 beats ME1. ME2 has a very nice look to it even though its poorly lit as hell.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Level-up? They combined the skills that gave you bonuses to health, shields, speech, etc into one skill, just as an example. Again, I think simple is good. You shouldn't have three different trees that do the same thing. You should have one skill tree that does one thing and another that does something else.

Harvey Smith wept.
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with this entirely irrelevant videoclip.

Deus Ex had *some* augmentations that overlapped but still made interesting combinations possible. I'm not about to reinstall it just to try it out but I trust Harvey. He seems like a nice man.

Mass Effect 1, meanwhile, had at least:
* 3 (or maybe more) skills that improved health and weapon damage beyond the actual weapon skills. For example: Soldier -> Commando/Shock Trooper, Assault Training and Spectre Training.
* 2 skills that opened special dialogue and gave you bonuses to buying and selling items. Persuade & Intimidate. These two could have stayed separate but considering how the special dialogue always resulted in the exact outcome (only thing that's different is how Shepard says it) I'm not giving any fucks.

Papa Môlé

Arcane
You mad, son?

Are you sure you are not projecting there precious?, let me quote you:
Did I forget anything? Please let me now so I can debunk absolutely every fucking thing your stupid shit brain can come up with. Pretty please.

Nice job though "debunking" with the parrot meme and some ellipses there, LOL.

The funny thing is that I really can be forgiving.

You're not really helping your point here by bringing up Twitcher, probably even more of an action game than Mass Effect (but here, gets a pass because it's a pseudo-indie production done by polacks probably).

Last I'll say on these game, even though I wasn't going to because it's so subjective and variable, is reiterating I don't think the action is universally improved at all in the second. I suspect most of the people saying this played a soldier in the first game. Playing a sniper at least in the first was much more fluid than the second. The second removed the ability to adjust your scope and to crouch. Sticky cover, especially with no stance adjustment, does not work for sniping. The second's ammo system also means you run out of ammo constantly (at least with rifles, which carry very little ammo) so as much as you make your shots count you're still going to have to be switching to the pistol more. In fact, the second game seems to want you to be switching weapons way too much, almost treating them like powers. When I switched in the first game, it was because of tactical considerations, weapon switching in the second is usually an ammo consideration more.

Also, at least on the harder difficulties, the second throws way too many enemies and way too many barriers, shields, etc. at you. It starts to feel like a boring bullethell game. The levels in the first game may have been copypasta but the battles were of a more reasonable, both in terms of tediousness and believability, length than the second. I remember the second would have enemies spawning out of areas as well where there was actually no place for them to have come in from just to keep throwing more bodies at you. Finally, while I didn't play a full game with the class in either game, relying on biotics seemed more fun in the first game as well. You got both more powers to play with and didn't have the inane universal cooldown feature the second has. Playing a space wizard in the second is not nearly so satisfying as spamming biotics in the first (even though the fucking bosses can still spam with no cooldown restrictions in the second).

Mass Effects are getting quite an attention here. I doubt even BDSN discusses the quality of those things so passionately.

Skyrim vs. Oblivion thread: 80 pages
Mass Effect and Bioware thread: 322 pages
Diablo 3 thread: 170 pages

Nothing novel going on in here. Leet gamers trying to look edgy while exaggeratedly denouncing something as “total shit” then going on to jabber about it for dozens of pages.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Is this the "good for what it is" that people is raving? There is no such thing as individual qualities and failures in games! They dont live in a vacuum

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say. For my part, I didn't talk of "good for what it is" but to take something for what it actually is independently of what one would like it to be.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Stop this already. They are both mediocre shit. The first maybe had good biowarian intentions behind it, but that's all.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Mass Effects is serious business! This will never stop. Also Infinitron is a faggot whose opinion is made of poo. Doctor Voodoo is a rapist and likes it up the dick.

Alas,

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with this entirely irrelevant videoclip.

Entirely irrelevant? Really?

You're not arguing in good faith and are not worth talking to.
Oh, did I offend you? I'm not sorry. You seem like a person that should be bound and gagged and left to rot in a car trunk somewhere. Try reading past the first sentence. No wonder your mother left you for another man.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
BioWare has always been far too busy using tired internet memes rather than referencing their betters. The closest you come to SHODAN in ME is that artificial nobody in the first game that steals money so it can install itself onboard a ship.

Sòren

Arcane
Nothing novel going on in here. Leet gamers trying to look edgy while exaggeratedly denouncing something as “total shit” then going on to jabber about it for dozens of pages.

it's easy to point out flaws while it's hard to say what makes something actually good. things stick out if they weren't executed well.

additionally, it's just a hell lot of fun to read and write clever criticism. the most fun thing about bioware (for me) is reading the ramblings of a person who hates their games with passion.

Riel

Arcane
I don't even remember the original Mass Effect. It was probably shit?
Mass Effect 2 had that alien that killed you when you banged her. OTOH that was the only memorable thing about it.

Don't forget...

bir5v.jpg

Space Terminator's design is mind bogglingly retarded. If it's meant to be the core of a ship, then what's with the eyes,beam cannon and arms?

g1BPz.png

:smug:
Hahaha, my thoughts exactly when that retarded thing poped out in my face, lol.

What was that game's name. Probotector or something like that, wasn't it?

racofer

Thread Incliner
Hahaha, my thoughts exactly when that retarded thing poped out in my face, lol.

What was that game's name. Probotector or something like that, wasn't it?

It's Contra III you illiterate little fuck.

:rpgcodex:

And no, Probotector is not acceptable just because the Eurofags decided to call it like that.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Yeah! you just need to pay 10 bucks to enjoy the improved version! In my case, i coudnt bother pirating more DLC for ME2 so i dont know if the hammerhead is better less shit!
Hammerhead is a free pack.

Doesn't change the fact it's SHIT and has nothing to do with mako.

Commander Xbox

Learned
On-topic, I am surprised Codexians are not in favour of the RPG-lite game play of the first, as opposed to the more action oriented of the sequels.
And why would we? I personally prefer actual RPGs with actual RPG design. None of the Mass Effect games have any place in the genre regardless of how many skills you can put points in and cool helmets you can equip but at least Mass Effect 2 is a fun shooter without pretentious retarded writing.

no it isnt. mass effect 2 is a horrific shooter. it is literally the definition of popamole, you sit behind a crate with an enemy sitting behind theirs 10 ft away to pop up and trade shots, coupled with the most boring set of weapons and 3 enemy types you could possibly have, with poorly implemented stiff mechanics. gears of war and several other tps blow it out of the water. me1 at least involved strafing and was a lot faster paced and less tedious combat than me2.

and me2 = not retarded writing? it allows you to have sex with aliens and fuck a girl whos crying, legitimate creepy shit :lol:

Psquit

Arcane
no it isnt. mass effect 2 is a horrific shooter. it is literally the definition of popamole, you sit behind a crate with an enemy sitting behind theirs 10 ft away to pop up and trade shots, coupled with the most boring set of weapons and 3 enemy types you could possibly have, with poorly implemented stiff mechanics. gears of war and several other tps blow it out of the water. me1 at least involved strafing and was a lot faster paced and less tedious combat than me2.

and me2 = not retarded writing? it allows you to have sex with aliens and fuck a girl whos crying, legitimate creepy shit :lol:

and the final boss is a contra wannabe, i mean a giant robot? really? thats lazy writing

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
On-topic, I am surprised Codexians are not in favour of the RPG-lite game play of the first, as opposed to the more action oriented of the sequels.
And why would we? I personally prefer actual RPGs with actual RPG design. None of the Mass Effect games have any place in the genre regardless of how many skills you can put points in and cool helmets you can equip but at least Mass Effect 2 is a fun shooter without pretentious retarded writing.

no it isnt. mass effect 2 is a horrific shooter.
That's opinions for you.

it is literally the definition of popamole, you sit behind a crate with an enemy sitting behind theirs 10 ft away to pop up and trade shots, coupled with the most boring set of weapons and 3 enemy types you could possibly have, with poorly implemented stiff mechanics. gears of war and several other tps blow it out of the water.
So ME2 manages to define a whole genre of shooters? I don't even know what you're on about but I'll take it. ME2 is THE popamole game. If you're only going to play one popamole game, let it be ME2. Truer words have never been written down on an internet forum that didn't somehow involve duct tape, a white glove and a hamster. I'm gonna go photoshop the ME2 dvd cover.

"[Mass Effect 2] is literally the definition of popamole!" - Commander Xbox

me1 at least involved strafing and was a lot faster paced and less tedious combat than me2.
Opinions.

and me2 = not retarded writing?
Without pretentious retarded writing.

it allows you to have sex with aliens and fuck a girl whos crying, legitimate creepy shit :lol:
That's BioWare for you.

Slow day at the office, Boxleitner?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom