Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect 2 : LP Complete, Releasing Control.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Ahahah. *That* was 7 bucks?

a budda

Arbiter
Brother None said:
Ahahah. *That* was 7 bucks?
7 bucks of awesome, and free extreme

i always thought that playing quake multi was retarded (had a few good hours of fun though) but this... and you pay for it

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Edward_R_Murrow said:
That's what is next, right? Drivin' round and shootin' some boss robots?

You're absolutely correct, Sir!

And man, I really wish this DLC ended back then. There's nothing new in here. Just a bunch of geth glowing green. No new enemies. They really had nothing much to offer in terms of content, not even a new weapon or armor. And the driving mini-game? Sucks ass. We'll get to that later, but for now, let's listen to one of the two voiced NPC in this DLC.

01.jpg

shep.jpg
You owe us that explanation.
arch.jpg
This is Project Overlord. An attempt to gain influence over the geth by interfacing a human mind with a VI. The result have been...less than satisfactory.
shep.jpg
It looks like some progress was made.

Uh. Shep, you're being sarcastic, right?

arch.jpg
Yes! Even amid chaos, there are lessons to be learned. My brother David volunteered to serve as a test subject, but his mind couldn't handle the VI connection. He's like a virus now, infecting our networks and seizing control of any technology he finds. It's why you had to destroy the dish. Imagine if his program got off world.
shep.jpg
How does he take control of electronics?
arch.jpg
This is a hybrid intelligence the likes of which I've never seen.

Fuck, you can throw that line almost anywhere in this game's side mission.

"This is a drell assassin the likes of which I've never seen."
"This is a human biotics the likes of which I've never seen."
"This is a geth intelligence the likes of which I've never seen."
"This is a Collector threat to Humanity the likes of which I've never seen."
"This is a Krogan Bio-Engineering Program the likes of which I've never seen."

arch.jpg
I don't know where the man ends and the machine begins.

Yes, yes, very deep. Let's milk your voice actors for what's he's worth.

shep.jpg
What's the worst case scenario.
arch.jpg
A technological apocalypse. Every machine, every weapon, every computer could be turned against us. If he hit the extranet, who knows where it would end.
shep.jpg
How do we stop him?
arch.jpg
Davi...the VI has fortified itself in the main laboratory at Atlas Station. It's in lockdown now. To enter, you need to manually override security from our facilities in the Prometheus and Vulcan station.
shep.jpg
How does the lockdown work?
arch.jpg
It's a fail-safe procedure in the event of an emergency. Normally, all three project leads have to agree to cancel the lockdown. I'm the only one left now. I can give my authorization, but you'll have to manually reset the other two yourself.

Sigh. Hit two switches at two different places, then go for the big showdown? This is totally new and never seen before game-play.

shep.jpg
And what happens if I have to kill your brother?
02.jpg

03.jpg

Of course not, dipshit. He's not paid enough to voice himself in this damn DLC. If Tali, a quarian with knowledge and hatred of VI experiments won't sound a peep, what do you think?

shep.jpg
If there's one geth in the galaxy who can't be brainwashed, it's him. Don't worry.

RIIIIIIGHT. You just met him over a mission a while ago.

arch.jpg
I'll take your word for it.
shep.jpg
Tell me more about Project Overlord.
arch.jpg
We wanted to turn the geth's religious impulse into a weapon.

Re...religious impulse? What? This is what you call it? RELIGIOUS IMPULSE? IN A MACHINE?

arch.jpg
When we saw them following Saren, we realized they could be swayed. And if a proper figurehead was created - a virus with a face, if you will - the geth might be controlled.
shep.jpg
That's an ambitious undertaking.
arch.jpg
It would be the perfect weapon - victory without casualties. We could avoid war with the geth altogether. That was the plan anyway.

Huh, looks like Cerberus cells are still clueless about the existence of two geth factions. But whatever, they must be referring to the geth heretics which was part of Saren's forces in the first Citadel assault.

shep.jpg
What went wrong with the experiment?
arch.jpg
David volunteered to interface with the VI to give it genuine consciousness.
04.jpg

shep.jpg
Then you shouldn't have attempted it.
arch.jpg
And what if you had never attempted to find the Reapers, Commander Shepard? Where would the galaxy be then? Sometimes you have to ignore the risks.

Enough of this shit.

shep.jpg
I'm heading out now.
arch.jpg
The other stations are all within driving distance. Best of luck, Commander.

Uh oh.

05.jpg

:rage:

06.jpg

Welcome to the Hammerhead. The hovertank that replaces Mako. It loses its machine gun and turrent zoom controls but retain much greater movement controls and regenerative armor.

07.jpg

It also comes with a VI that gives comments to invoke laughter. But as you can see, the environment looks shit. What is that green shit under me? Grass? I can't tell if they're serious. Or maybe my video card needs updating? Whatever, I'll endure.

08.jpg

09.jpg

Our people there have gone silent. It's likely the VI has activated the defense shield to keep you out. Good lu- *static*.

Funny. The subtitle says Hammerhead VI is the one saying the lines, but it was actually Dr. Archer over the radio.

10.jpg

Oooh, looks like it's shielded.

11.jpg

Let's fuck shit up.

12.jpg

Yee-haw! Geth cannon locked on - what?

13.jpg

Yep. I am supposed to weave around the red areas that was targeted by the cannon as I fire at the generators. But hell, I found a glitch spot where the cannon won't fire at me and I can snipe the generators all day long. :smug:

14.jpg

15.jpg

Didn't have to move at all. Heh. Glad that shitty drive shooter part is over with, let's get in there.

16.jpg

Oh, look. A non active geth. I guess there will be no combat in this dungeon.

17.jpg

More attempts to scare the player. No, buddy. This isn't creepy. I'm already expecting any moment now that the geths will reactivate itself and attack me.

18.jpg

19.jpg

I'm not scared, green-face.

20.jpg

Spooked the shit out of everyone. Now I definitely hate him.
21.jpg

A storage area full of inactive geths. Totally harmless.

22.jpg

What does the VI want? It keeps screaming at us - nobody understands!

Maybe it just wants this shitty DLC to end.

23.jpg

At least the geth are still dormant.
24a.jpg

A passage of waters blocked us. Our only hope is to hack the security console nearby and overcome a devious puzzle to challenge our hero in the most extreme ways.

24.jpg

:lol: Are they serious? Press buttans to move blocks to form bridge. Age 5 and up.

25.jpg

26.jpg

Now we can cross.

27.jpg

Yay. Switch within sight. Let's hit it and leave this shitty dungeon.

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

WAHHRHBRALLLGLGLLG

31.jpg

OH NOES. ITZA TRAP! I shd've seen this coming!

32.jpg

Shepard's too EXTREME to be caught off-guard.

33.jpg

Once again. There's no tension. No self-destruct. Nothing. All the geth does is prevent you from exiting. It would've been nice if the VI trigger a self-destruct sequence to kill Shepard. Then Shepard should be given two option: Override the Self Destruct and potentially saving the Overlord project, or fuck it and rush to the exit.

34.jpg

Instead we get the same old geth pop-a-mole corridor shooter. Climaxing with a standard geth prime with green tinted plastic wrap.

35.jpg

Mission accomplished bros. Time for breakfast.

36.jpg

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
So what? That was it? You're surely pulling our collective leg again... It can't be this short and boring.

Good thing I didn't bother with DLC - that one was crappier than the crappiest crap mission in retail ME2.

RK47

Patron
They let me change squadmates after the first part is over, so I decided not to swap Legion for firepower reasons. In insanity, Legion doesn't really have good enough powers to justify a slot. Don't worry, we don't miss a single dialog or side content. The DLC didn't really care much about the squad mates' presence. They're practically mute and are nothing more than counter-strike bots.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

Oh, you have got to be fucking kidding..

08.jpg

....we bring the hovertank over the vent and engage the jump jets to overcome the altitude. *facepalm*

09.jpg

Sonic would've been proud. :salute:

10.jpg

Oh noes. We have to fix this.

11.jpg

Looks like this is the source of the problem.

Engineer's log: We've registered a huge spike in energy consumption. My technicians traced it to the experiment underway at Atlas station. We're trying to raise them now.

012.jpg

There we go....

13.jpg

MWHAHBRAWWWRGGHLLLL

14.jpg

Cerberus turrets hound us at every corner, but shooting back in Inanity difficulty mode would be an.... inane action to take. :yeah:

15.jpg

EXTREME platform jumper on hover-tank simulator. REALISTIC! The chunks of rocks will sink if you stay on it too long. M-44 4-EVA!

16.jpg

Just..

17.jpg

One...

18.jpg

More! Yeah! No more stupid tank!

19.jpg

We're trying to shut down the power generators to starve the VI, but it's already hacked our automated systems! I'm ordering my people to sabotage the plant any way they can.

20.jpg

Rogue N7 droids patrol the area, and our old familiar foe, the YMIR mega mech blocks our passage with mounted machine gun and rockets.

21.jpg

Too bad it can't fit through the narrow slits between pillars. :smug:

22.jpg

Looks like its size...matters. :yeah:

23.jpg

HALT, AUTOMATON!

24.jpg

A droid is capable of emoting fear? :tear of the monocled eagle:

25.jpg

Shepard displays adept commanding by sign language by giving a cold stare and acknowledging nod to proceed.

26.jpg

27.jpg

Looks like we ...disarmed the droid. :yeah:

28.jpg

Only one thing left to do.

29.jpg

arch.jpg
Are you receiving this? Commander Shepard, this is Archer. Please respond.
30.jpg

31.jpg

I guess...

32.jpg

we'll....

33.jpg

...beheaded that way.

34.jpg

:yeah:

35.jpg

36.jpg

One more stop guys!

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
RK47 said:
Correct. There's no equivalent sci-fi RPG shooter like that for quite some time. And the EXTREME approach was quite unheard of. I have to give Bioware some credit for the EXTREME personality. I know some action game has it, but I've never played RPGs where the protagonist just shoots people dead as dialogue option. Which has a deeper level of satisfaction of being the asshole than 'GIMME MORE MONEY' - KOTOR style.

Planescape's on a different level, obviously. But you get the idea.

I can understand the EXTREME-thing much better than the scarcity - sure, sci-fi RPGs are scarce, but as for FPS/shooter things, we got plenty and the shooting isn't really ME2's strong point. But the EXTREME dialogue and stuff is something special and quite funny - only thing which kept me playing, almost to mid-game :D

random_encounter

Educated
Well played. :D

EXTREME platform jumper on hover-tank simulator. REALISTIC! The chunks of rocks will sink if you stay on it too long. M-44 4-EVA!
So in addition to conveniently separated switches, now we have a hopping hovertank just in case there are platforms to jump across. Apparently, no one at Bioware remembers how well Mario mechanics were received in Ultima 8. But hey, if they're doing more action, might as well go all the way!

But it's a hovertank, so won't it be able to hover over surfaces? You know, like hovercraft do over water? And because it's the future, one assumes that improvements should...ah, fuck it.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
random_encounter said:
So in addition to conveniently separated switches, now we have a hopping hovertank just in case there are platforms to jump across. Apparently, no one at Bioware remembers how well Mario mechanics were received in Ultima 8
Funnily enough, U8 was reviled by Ultima fans, but ME2 is better than ME1, a great cover shooter and the best action-RPG since Crusaders of Might and Magic.

And those hovertank jumps... to think people complained about the Mako...

RK47

Patron
The hover-tank jumping is VERY easy. And no instant death from touching the lava. I just find it unnecessary game play component to add the vehicle in. Mako is utter shit when compared with this. But that doesn't mean I want this kind of game play in the sequel. :lol:

01.jpg

Yeah, final mission! Hit the throttle!

02.jpg

03.jpg

arch.jpg
The VI is trying to upload its program directly from your location. Get to the server room and shut down the core before it can - *static*

That's nice Archer, but why didn't the VI do that AI uploading thing while the facility is under a lockdown in the first place? Also, why isn't there a time limit? Are they waiting for Shepard to arrive at the server room? Fuckin' Bioware and their 'urgency'.

Enough complaints. Let's read some....LOGS!

04.jpg

His autistic mind is the breakthrough I've been looking for - he can communicate with the geth!

:retarded: :rage:

Such a tremendous grasp of mathematics! It seems serendipity is alive and well in the 22nd century.

BIOWAREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

05.jpg

Moar dead bodies litter the facility. A point they kept making over and over. We get it, people die, but without seeing how these atrocities are carried I can't help but think they're just wall decorations. Computer gaming hasn't advanced to the point where smell of rotting flesh can get to my nose you know, so dead bodies aren't that shocking anymore.

Hey. Look! ANOTHER LOG!

06.jpg

I'm going to tap David Gaider directly into the geth neural network and see if he can influence them. The danger should be negligible David might even enjoy it.

Gentlemen, I believe we found the cause of Dragon Age 2's decline.

07.jpg

A broken elevator blocks our progress. This is a puzzle. It cannot reach level 7 (where we at) by pressing the button. Another pressing of the buttan will cause the error since the elevator goes further than 7. How do we fix this shit?

08.jpg

We fuck around with mathematical consoles which subtract and add values to the elevator levels, of course! IT MADE TOTAL SENSE! THIS 3D CONSOLE STANDS FOR 3 DEDUCTION FROM THE EVLATORS FFRKLCIGHGI UTGUGF BWHFKLDS!

09.jpg

WHICH WOULD LEAD TO THIS SECURE COMPAUTESKFJG LATUGHDSG MAURGHFKFK

11.jpg

MRRABAWWGGGGL. Yes. We solved this shit. Maths are no match.

12.jpg

I regain control of my faculties as evidence of hostile threat from within the elevator made itself known.

13.jpg

Geth prime with 2 rocket geth.

14.jpg

Trashed. We ride the elevator up.

15.jpg

16.jpg

Must. Read. Logs.

His autistic mind is as alien to me as an actual alien. Anything could happen when we plug him in. But I have to try, don't I?

Boo-fucking-hoo. Let's loot some research datas.

17.jpg

There's no new weapons given from this DLC, nor any additional armor pieces. All we got is some shit upgrades, a new shiny tank and credits. DISAPPOINTING.

18.jpg

Finally. We made it to the server access. Let's shut this DLC down. Sorry, Gaider.

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

Oh shi-

22.jpg

Shepard's being DIGITIZED!

23.jpg

What is real is now virtual and shaded in orange lines and grids.

24.jpg

You have been assimilated.

25.jpg

Herp Derp.

26.jpg

NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU~

27.jpg

Vision of Archer and Gaider being lead away...must...follow.

28.jpg

EXTREME digitized rendering!

29.jpg

Unfortunately the rest of the squad were left behind, trapped behind the doors. Shepard goes after Gaider's specters alone.

30.jpg

With a flaming omni-tool, holding the Green Flame of DownLoadable Content of Truth.

31.jpg

Don't worry, Gaider. We're here to help you.

32.jpg

Gaider summons his darkspawns. They turn to green cube pixels when terminated. We finally reach the inner chambers...where Gaiders memory lies....hours before he was finalize the script to Dragon Age 2.

33.jpg

arch.jpg
How do I finish Dragon Age 2 in one year?
Archer looks like he was deep in despair, executing a double face-palm.
34.jpg

35.jpg

:what: I...I have no words.

arch.jpg
Eureka. David, you're a miracle worker.

The vision disappears, as another takes hold.

36.jpg

arch.jpg
David, can you repeat my notes from Thursday's experiment?
37.jpg

arch.jpg
David, please pay attention!
38.jpg

Poor Gaider. :( He was forced to rush through EA's latest franchise sequel. Recreating a blockbuster hit.

arch.jpg
I'm sorry, you didn't deserve that. Would you mind repeating my notes from Thursday's experiment?
39.jpg

arch.jpg
Thank you. And how are you feeling today?
40.jpg

Gaider, what have they done to you?

The vision blurred...as another took hold...this time more actors in the play..

41.jpg

Gaider mimics the geth language and the geth takes a step forward.

42.jpg

arch.jpg
David is a mathematical savant. His autistic mind can interpret the geth language at its most basic form and mimic their phonetics. With his photographic memory, cross-referencing the meaning is a snap. He's literally a human computer.

The technicians pondered the possibilities, and asked another question. " Is that even safe, Doctor?"

arch.jpg
I see no harm in finding out.

Oh, Archer. You are so fucked.

43.jpg

The chain of flashbacks were interrupted with a fight with a band of geth.

44.jpg

Gaider begs to be released.

45.jpg

His inner chamber...

arch.jpg
We're ready. Open a DLC and DRM connection to all Bioware social accounts and ban all dissenting voices from accessing their purchases.

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

The rage erupted as the VI roared its digital shriek. The Gaider is awakened.

49.jpg

Did it say Normandy?

The lines between flashbacks and reality blurred. Voices of Gaider's past or perhaps present echoed as the deadly duel between two EXTREME individuals takes place.

arch.jpg
Pull the plug! Tell Vulcan station to cut all power!

Lab tech: It's too late! We've lost control!

50.jpg

Fuck. If they can successfully upload Gaider into Normandy, then we're screwed! Destroy the VI connection before it could upload its data fully!

51.jpg

Interrupting the data upload isn't enough though, we have to bring down Gaider's core. Heavy Geth laser will bring the truth into light.

52.jpg

C'mon, Gaider. Try to remember Throne of Baal! Imoen! Minsc...Jaheira!!

arch.jpg
David, you have to stop this!

53.jpg

Gaider opened new connections and Shepard is starting to get overwhelmed.

54.jpg

As more digitized geth materialize, it gets harder to keep up with the VI connections.

55.jpg

85% completion...Oh no...Gaider, no.

arch.jpg
David, calm down! I can make all this go away if you'll let me!

Fuck it. It's time to fix this shit.

56.jpg

GAIIIIDEEEEEERRRRRRRR

57.jpg

58.jpg

All is quiet now.

59.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

.....Oh, shut up already. :rpgcodex:

62.jpg

OK, do we put a bullet to his head or ...?

63.jpg

64.jpg

arch.jpg
I'm begging you. Don't do anything rash.
shep.jpg
There better be damned good reasons for this.
arch.jpg
I thought I had control...It's not like I planned this. It was an accident. Seeing David communicate with the geth...it all seemed harmless.
65.jpg

66.jpg

arch.jpg
Any war we fight with the geth will be bloody. I was asked to find a way to avoid that.

So. It was all about you? What about your Bro?

67.jpg

arch.jpg
Yes. Despite the...setbacks, we've proven the geth can be controlled.

That's it? PROOF? THAT'S ALL YOU WANTED?

arch.jpg
If my work spares a million mothers mourning the loss of a million sons, my conscience will rest easy.
shep.jpg
So you'll sacrifice your brother's happiness for your own ambition?
68.jpg

69.jpg

Something about this scene...somehow worked. It was a slight warmth after the wasteland ice-cold quality we had throughout the DLC. That question Shepard asked nailed something soft. And not just because I have a brother IRL, you see. :(

70.jpg

71.jpg

72.jpg

73.jpg

Gaider, I'm sorry...there are too many deaths here over your life, that if I release you, it will be all for naught. I'm sorry you can't find your happiness, but hundreds of scientists paid the price of the project today. If I let it die out,...I'm not EXTREME enough.

74.jpg

75.jpg

Your brother is an asshole.

76.jpg

Archer recoiled from the blow. The EXTREME Fist of Fury.

77.jpg

78.jpg

79.jpg

80.jpg

David Gaider remains trapped in one of EA's research cell to this day. It is unknown whether the research will bear fruit, but the future decline of his products may not change for the better.

81.jpg

ALWAYS Love your bros. :salute:

lightbane

Arcane
I miss the days that the so-called "expansions" still existed, when these had actual content and not filler.

24.jpg

I like Grunt's here, it's as if he was silently asking why Shepard was wasting his time with this shit.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Archer? Moar like EArcher

There's no new weapons given from this DLC, nor any additional armor pieces. All we got is some shit upgrades, a new shiny tank and credits. DISAPPOINTING.

Didn't you already get the tank from Firewalker?

RK47

Patron
Bro. None: You actually get to visit some hotspots where you fight off mechs to unlock something in the DLC planet surface. A pseudo-new tank content. Because otherwise, the tank will never be used for any other mission at all, unlike Mako of ME 1.

racofer said:

This is something I really can't fathom happening.
What in the world happened to Shepard at that point? Did he just get hacked by a VI?

It puts a big question mark on Shepard's humanity. Is he part man, part machine after the Cerberus Resurrection hence the VI was successful in hacking him? Or is it just a tech implant within him that was infected? : Mass Effect 3 : Release Date Foreshadowing?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
RK47 said:
Bro. None: You actually get to visit some hotspots where you fight off mechs to unlock something in the DLC planet surface. A pseudo-new tank content. Because otherwise, the tank will never be used for any other mission at all, unlike Mako of ME 1.

Well, it's used on the Firewalker DLC planets, yes? That's where it's from after all.

It's no Make in frequency but that's an improvement. The Firewalker content was nice filler, though nothing more than that.

RK47

Patron
The Illusive Man is pleased with the outcome of Project Overlord and thanks Shepard for a job well done.

01.jpg

To me, the whole Cerberus business is fucked up as hell, but what's at stake here...is worth more than the cost. Human experiments, brothers using brothers, father abusing his rank, a test tube babies, TWO of them, an assassin making amends with his son, a daughter exiled by her own people over some shit her father started, a robot capable of 'intelligence', a merc and a vigilante who killed their double crossers, zombie-hero brought back from the dead, the list goes on.

02.jpg

So who'll be surprised if at this point, Shepard is actually...half machine? That somehow Cerberus implanted a chip in his head, forcing him to obey the Illusive Man. A kill-switch to stop him from defecting?

03.jpg

We'll deal with whatever happens come November 2011.

04.jpg

But let's get back to the matter at hand, first.

05.jpg

thane.jpg
Of course, Shepard. Join me.
shep.jpg
Still talking to Kolyat?
thane.jpg
Yes. It's still difficult. But he seems less angry. Will you hear my confession, Shepard?

Well. Fuck me.

shep.jpg
I wouldn't talk to you if I didn't want to hear what you have to say.
thane.jpg
When I married Irikah, the hanar let me leave their service to raise a family. But I had no other skills, so I freelanced. When Irikah was killed, I pursued those responsible. Once I'd eliminated him, I had no goal. I accepted the Dantius' commission because I didn't know what else to do.

Let's see. My wife is dead. I killed her killers...now ...I'm going to kill someone evil. OK. Continue, Frank Castle.

shep.jpg
I guess you're lucky we came along when we did.
thane.jpg
It was an intervention by the gods, I would have died in that penthouse.

Instead, you get to die a horrible death in a suicide mission against giant bugs. Ooops, spoilers. :smug:

thane.jpg
I would've fulfilled my contract. If Nassana's guards caught me afterwards - it would have been a good death. But someone else was pushing to reach the target. Forcing me to move faster. Challenging me. I had to reach her first.
shep.jpg
You're alive because I wounded your pride?
thane.jpg
Pride is the line between a professional and a thug.

Thane is happy to go out with a bang, I guess.

06.jpg

That smile. Like a suicide bomber knowing he'll reach paradise upon death, surrounded by eighty virgins, bathing in the eternal sweet fountains.

thane.jpg
I was able to speak with my son again.
07a.jpg

:( When he put it like that, it made me feel kinda sad inside.

shep.jpg
We've got a long way to go before you can rest.
thane.jpg
I know. I'm prepared for whatever comes.

Speaking of whatever comes, the crew's pretty upbeat about the mission so far.

07.jpg

I still need to secure one squad-mate's loyalty first. If only for character completion's sake.

08.jpg

leg.jpg
We have completed our analysis of the Reaper's data core.
shep.jpg
Did you find anything useful?
leg.jpg
We were sent to the Old Machine to preserve the Geth's future. We are prepared to reveal how. The heretics have developed a weapon to use against the geth. You would call it a 'virus.' It is stored on a data core provided by Sovereign. Over time, the virus will change us. Make us conclude that worshiping the Old Machine is correct.

Heh. That's a pretty low-blow to Project Overlord's goal. Or is it just recycled material?

shep.jpg
So why did you need to go to the Reaper corpse?
leg.jpg
The heretics store the code in a quantum storage device Sovereign provided. To find and destroy the virus, we needed to understand its code and data storage structures.
shep.jpg
So the virus would give all the geth the heretic's logic. And all the geth would then go to war with organics.
leg.jpg
Yes. Geth believe all intelligent life should self-determinate. The heretics no longer share this belief. They judge that forcing an invalid conclusion on us is preferable to a continued schism.
shep.jpg
I thought the Geth couldn't be hacked or get viruses? At least for more than a few seconds.
leg.jpg
Altered programs are restored from the archives, new installations are deleted. This heretic weapon introduces a subtle operating error in our most basic runtime. The equivalent of your nervous system. An equation with a result of 1.33382 returns as 1.33381. This changes the result of all higher processes. We will reach different conclusions.
shep.jpg
So the reason they worship the Reapers is...

.......wait for it......

shep.jpg
A math error?

leg.jpg
It is difficult to express. Your brain exists as chemistry, electricity. Like AIs, you are shaped by both hardware and software. We are purely software. Mathematics. The heretic's conclusion is valid for them. Our conclusion is valid for us. Neither result is an error. An analogy. Heretics say DA 1 is less than 2. Geth say DA 2 less than ME 3.

shep.jpg
If it were released, how quickly this virus spread through your people?
leg.jpg
We are networked via FTL comm buoys. Most would change within a day. Isolated platforms would remain unaffected until they rejoin the network.

Let's blow it up then.

shep.jpg
You know where this thing is?
leg.jpg
The heretics' headquarters station, on the edge of Terminus. We will provide coordinates. Normandy's stealth systems are necessary to safely approach.
shep.jpg
What's the plan once we get on board?
leg.jpg
The geth will disrupt their network. Prevent the station's defenses from focusing on us. The Reaper data core is physically isolated from the network. We will need to be escorted to it to access and destroy the data.
shep.jpg
What defenses should we expect.
leg.jpg
In space, none. Within, mobile platforms of various configuration, and non-sentient defense turrets.
shep.jpg
How many geth?
\
leg.jpg
There may be billions of individual programs. Fortunately, most will be uploaded to the central computer. Only a few mobile platforms are maintained at any time. Others are manufactured when needed.
shep.jpg
Heretic headquarters. Sounds like we could end their raids once and for all. Let's do it.
leg.jpg
Total victory is possibility. We cannot judge the odds during this time. Regardless, we will begin preparations.
09.jpg

Here we go!

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Joker starts to mock and herp the derp.

13.jpg

14.jpg

I pity da foo'

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

We're in.

18.jpg

So we wear our gas helmets. But I gotta love Zaeed's headwear. Fucking post-apoc.

19.jpg

shep2.jpg
Won't we be detected? Don't they have intrusion alarms?
leg.jpg
Sensors have been reduced. We have infiltrated their wireless network and filled the data storage with random bits.
shep2.jpg
And that helps us how?
leg.jpg
The heretics must scrub this 'junk' data. They have partitioned themselves into local networks, working in parallel. Any alarm that we trigger will not go beyond the room we are in. Only accessing the main core will trigger a station-wide alert.
shep2.jpg
Alright, we've got a job to do. Let's get to it.
leg.jpg
Shepard-Commander. We concluded that destruction of this station was the only resolution to the heretic question. There is now a second option. Their virus can be re-purposed. If released into the station's network, the heretics will be rewritten to accept our truth.
20.jpg

Zaeed might have a point. I still don't trust Legion's motives in this. Converting these guys aren't exactly turning it to Shepard's side, merely giving them back to the geth. Fuck that shit.

shep2.jpg
Why didn't you mention this before we came aboard?
leg.jpg
We did not know the virus was complete. It is. It can be used against the true geth at any time. Our arrival was timely.
shep2.jpg
They're your people, Legion. You must have an opinion.
leg.jpg
This is new data. We have not yet reached consensus. We will process as the mission proceeds.
shep2.jpg
If this were an organic race, it might be an ethical problem. Geth aren't like organic life. Don't apply our morality to them.
leg.jpg
That is (EXTREME-ly) logical.
zaeed.jpg
The geth says to kill the geth. That's all I need to hear.
leg.jpg
No to species are identical. All must be judged on their own merits. Treating every species like one's own is racist. Even benign anthropomorphism.

not_sure_if_want.jpg

leg.jpg
The minds of both forms of life can be shaped. Organics require time and effort. With synthetics, replacement of a data file is the only requirement.

Right. Let's go.

21.jpg

leg.jpg
Interrupting data streams will alert local network. We recommend preemptive strike against hardlink routers.

Yeah, what Legion means is if I step on the green lines, the whole pacified geths will activate and go hostile. What are they doing when they're not active?

22.jpg

They are plugged into a hub, just like a Borg.

23.jpg

Blow 'em up.

zaeed.jpg
We should salvage these geth hubs. Looks like some good resources here.

Worth 3k a pop.

24.jpg

leg.jpg
These are mobile platforms. Hardware. The crew is software. They are communing through the station's central computer.
shep2.jpg
I'm not sure I follow.

I can hear the Legion's barely audible digitized sigh.

leg.jpg
The heretics connect to the main computer to exchange data memories and program updates. We gain complexity by linking together. To be isolated within a single platform is to be reduced. We see less. Comprehend less. It is quieter.
shep2.jpg
So if you exchange data - memories - how do you keep track of which ones are yours? How do you stay "you"?
leg.jpg
There is only "we." We were created to share data among ourselves. The difference between geth is perspective. We are many eyes looking at the same things. One platform will see things another does not and will make different judgment.
shep2.jpg
If that's the case, is rewriting the heretics that big a deal? They're like a rogue limb of your own body. Rewriting them would be like reattaching a severed arm.
25.jpg

shep2.jpg
They decided to worship Sovereign. I don't think you're missing much.
leg.jpg
Every point of view is useful, even those that are wrong - if we can judge why a wrong view was accepted. For example we have found the casual self-deceptions of organics useful in analyzing your thought processes.

Legion went into great details of the geth fooling an entire galaxy with a star cluster depicting a goddess when the dots are connected. The geth later observed that organics start to believe that there is a god. All skeptics were shot down and shunned, until the believers attempted a pilgrimage to investigate the star up close - the geth deactivated their optical illusion, the belief was instantly shattered, the tables turned on the believers instead.

shep2.jpg
Let's keep moving.
27.jpg

This research data only boost geth shield, and therefore affect Legion only. Useless.

28.jpg

leg.jpg
Processors. Each contains thousands of geth.
zaeed.jpg
You sure they can't see us?
leg.jpg
They are no more aware of us than you are of cells in your bloodstreams.
shep2.jpg
This isn't like the other hubs we've seen here.
leg.jpg
This is a database. It contains a portion of the heretics' accumulated memories. Wait. We discovered copies of our current patrol routes in this database. This suggests the heretics have runtimes within our networks.
shep2.jpg
We wouldn't be here if the heretics wanted to be friends with the geth. Why wouldn't they spy on you?
leg.jpg
You do not understand. Organics do not know each other's minds Geth do. We are not suspicious. We accept each other. The heretics desired to leave. We understood their reasons. We allowed it. There was peace between us.
shep2.jpg
The heretics were biding their time. Waiting for an opportunity to attack you.
leg.jpg
If they reached this judgment before they left us, we would have heard it in their thoughts. How could we have become so different? Why can we no longer understand each other?
29.jpg

shep2.jpg
The flip side of freedom is responsibility. They made a bad choice. Let them own it. You're not responsible for their decisions.
leg.jpg
That argument is logical for an individual mind. We are not fully individuals. There are pieces of us in the heretics. One of those may be at fault. This topic is irrelevant. We must return to the mission.
shep2.jpg
Have you reached a decision about whether to rewrite the heretics or not?
leg.jpg
We are still trying to build consensus. Some processes judge destruction preferable. Others rewrite.
shep2.jpg
Let's keep moving.
30.jpg

leg.jpg
Yes. We will upload a copy of our runtime into the core. It will delete all copies of the virus. When complete, it will notify us.
31.jpg

leg.jpg
We can override some of the station's internal systems to defend us. Are you ready to begin?
shep2.jpg
Start your upload, Legion. We'll defend this position.
32.jpg

The heretics will start pouring in all shapes and sizes. Thankfully there's plenty of turrents to override and help out. They'll converge on the two side stairways leading to our positions.

33.jpg

Zaeed's disruptor ammo is tearing them to bits.

34.jpg

35.jpg

shep2.jpg
Why are you letting me make this decision? They're your people.
leg.jpg
We are conflicted. There is no consensus among our higher-order runtimess: 573 favor rewrite, and 571 favor destruction.
36.jpg

Right. Ask the guy who spent half of his life being shot by the geths, and even losing his comrades to the geth to decide the fate of the geth. Processing error. Reason 404, buddy.

shep2.jpg
There's no guarantee they won't come to the same conclusions again, is there? To worship the Reapers, and attack organics?
leg.jpg
There is a non-zero probability of error.
shep2.jpg
Then blow them up. We have a chance to end this. I won't waste it.
leg.jpg
Acknowledged.
37.jpg

38.jpg

Even the official missions have time limits. Fuck DLCs!

39.jpg

A geth prime lies at the end of the long corridor shootouts.

40.jpg

Strip the shield, then switch to pistols for better penetration.

41.jpg

Mission accomplished.

42.jpg

43.jpg

Now, wasn't that more interesting and content-wise, much better than Overlord?
Tell you what, Bioware, why don't you just get Shepard VA and Legion's VA into a DLC production. Have all geths speak in their own language and use Legion as translator? Let us explore their territory a bit, won't you?

That's it for companion's loyalty. We're heading to the finale on next update. :salute:

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I find it quite disturbing that Legion along with EDI are the two most interesting characters you will ever meet in Mass Effect 2. Maybe because they don't require so much emo psychoanalysis after each misson...

lightbane

Arcane
It tells a lot of Bioware when Legion itself is probably much better than DA2's entire cast. I hope he'll be in ME3...

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Legion is my favorite ME2 character and his loyalty mission is spectacular as well.

:salute:
I hope you will play arrival at some point RK47

RK47

Patron
01.jpg

Oh, boy. Another conflict that is triggered with twin loyalty gains. Miranda will clash with Jack. Tali will clash with Legion. I heard rumors of Garrus clashing with Grunt/Mordin, but that was cut out. But does it matter? It's a simple Paragon/Renegade check. It's to punish those indecisive Shepard. If he can't gain meet the Paragon/Renegade requirement, he will be unable to convince both sides to compromise. But the game does give you a chance to build up the required points later, and speak to the unhappy party.

shep.jpg
I'm on it, Joker.
02.jpg

03.jpg

tali.jpg
We weakened the geth by destroying that base, Shepard, but they're still a threat! I won't let Legion endanger the Fleet!
leg.jpg
Creator-Tali'zorah...

WAIT A MINUTE! You called Shepard, 'Shepard-Commander' but you refer to Tali as 'Creator-Tali'zorah'! HAVE SOME CONSISTENCY! You're A MACHINE!

leg.jpg
...acts out of loyalty to her people. She was willing to be exiled to protect them. We must also protect our people from the Creator threat.
04.jpg

05.jpg

shep.jpg
Tali, of course the geth are worried about your people! You want to destroy them!
tali.jpg
It's not that simple!
shep.jpg
And Legion, what the hell were you thinking? Are you trying to undermine this entire operation?
leg.jpg
We did not intend to decrease operational efficiency.
06.jpg

Or does Shepard have to choke a bitch?

06a.jpg

I think both got the message. :roll:

leg.jpg
To facilitate unit cohesion, we will not transmit data regarding Creator plans.

And let them get blown up by their not-so-secret-weapon that only you know about. Brilliant. :M

tali.jpg
Thank you, Legion. I ...understand your intention. What if I gave you some non-classified data to send?

Aww, look at 'em. They've made up already.

07.jpg

Meh, let's ask Legion about the heretics status now.

shep.jpg
What happens to the heretics now?
leg.jpg
Many heretics remain in isolated systems. It is not impossible for them to rebuild.
shep.jpg
There's a still a chance they could attack again?
leg.jpg
The probability is zero. If so, it would take many years.

You mean two years till ME3 comes out. :M

08.jpg

Since we have the resources to spare, we outfit Legion with better shields.

09.jpg

That's awesome news!

edi.jpg
That's not entirely accurate, Mr. Moreau. The device is powered, but it is causing some unusual stability in other systems. I recommend a more thorough analysis before we attempt to use it.
shep.jpg
We can't put our mission on hold forever. How long with this take?
joker.jpg
A full scan? Who knows with this thing. Maybe you better take a shuttle for this mission. I'll make sure we're up and running when you get back.
mira.jpg
(Over comms.) Commander. Miranda. I've already notified the team. We'll meet you on the shuttle. Once we're closer to our destination you can decide who to take with you.
10.jpg

11.jpg

Hell, there's not much mission to go for, I guess we'll be taking some shore leave at Omega. A final party before the real fireworks start maybe?

12.jpg

12a.jpg

12b.jpg

The Afterlife is still as awesome as ever.

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Fuck, yes.

TNO

Augur
Posting in an epic thread.

But on topic. I love how the game just plot-forces your party away for this abduction. "Yes, lets herd all all the party on a shuttle and send them off somewhere, cos nothing is going to go wrong." At least give some excuse why the team needs to bugger off instead of kicking back and waiting for things to be ready to rock.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom