Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect 3 to require Origin, not on Steam

Repressed Homosexual
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/8975536

Below are answers to the most commonly asked questions about Origin and Mass Effect 3. Thank you for your patience as we have worked to answer them.

1) Will Origin be a requirement to play all versions of Mass Effect 3? (Digital and/or from a retail brick and mortar store) Yes, Origin is required for all PC editions of Mass Effect 3, physical or digital.

2) Is constant Origin connection required or is it a single one off authentication when the game is first installed. Is there also a limit to the number of installations available?
Mass Effect 3 will require a one time, single authorization for the single player game. There is no limit to the number of installs. Playing Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer will require a constant connection.

3) Is Origin required for the retail versions of the game?
Origin is required for the PC versions of Mass Effect 3, both physical and digital.

4) Will ME3 be available on Steam?
During initial release Mass Effect 3 will be available on Origin and a number of other 3rd party digital retailers, but not on Steam at this time. Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content. We are intent on providing Mass Effect to players with the best possible experience no matter where they purchase or play their game, and are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our consumers.

5) Is there an opt in or opt out clause for data collection?
Users will be allowed to opt-out of Mass Effect 3 data collection from inside the game.

6) I’ve seen reports that Origin is spyware. Is this true?
Origin is not spyware, and does not use or install spyware on user’s machines. In order to allow Origin to install games and their patches for everyone to use, Origin implements a permission change that results in Windows, not Origin, reviewing the filenames in the ProgramData/Origin folder. This is an ordinary Windows function, not an information-gathering process.

7) Has the Origin EULA been updated following recent questions in Germany?
The German Origin EULA has been updated. For more information, please review the Origin EULA here: http://www.ea.com/1/product-eulas.

8) Is there a double-opt in for Mass Effect 3 marketing emails for German residents?
Yes, we always adhere to the German requirement of a double opt-in standard for marketing emails. Mass Effect 3 users must opt-in twice to receive these emails.

Good news, imo. Steam has way too much power, and Steamworks is becoming part of too many games. The PC must not become a closed platform. The more platforms, the better. Let them wage war against one another and fight for our money.

Worth it to see all the Steam fanboys weep uncontrollably.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I really wan't to tell EA to shove their Origin shit up their fucking collective asses.... but I shall have to wait and see how weak my will is......... FOR SHEPARDS!

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Can't wait for the super effective boycott from all the butthurt steam fanboys.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Origin is cool. My guess is that most of the problems people have with it are related to EA and not Origin itself.

Edit: just checked the Steam forums for Mass Effect and the butthurt is reaching pharaonic proportions. I approve.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
EA has troubles with Steam, but appears to have a good relationship with GamersGate. Proof of that is that GG offers Kingdoms of Amalur and Mass Effect 3 — both titles requiring Origin — for pre-orders while these are absent from Steam. GG already offers keys for Steam games, including DLC, so I wouldn't be surprised if they continue that trend and also do it with Origin. You can even redeem the keys for many games on Origin. GG has a good track record with discounts so I wouldn't worry too much about getting Mass Effect 3 in a sale. Heck, current Mass Effect games are discounted 75% on GG right now.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Why won't you just DL it from TPB if you really want to play it? I've heard it comes without DRM too and they have a special -100% discount.

Kz3r0

Arcane
I really wan't to tell EA to shove their Origin shit up their fucking collective asses.... but I shall have to wait and see how weak my will is......... FOR SHEPARDS!
DarthVaderbeckoning.jpg

You already know the answer, young padawan.
If you have paid for the game, of course.

MetalCraze

Arcane
So you pay for a key that is also being sold to 10 other fools and is getting blocked 2 months later?
But you pay less for them

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The problem with allowing "competition" in the field of digital game distributors is that many of them try and run their own systray shit.

Since everyone already runs Steam, we shouldn't start accumulating a number of systray applications, each with their own "features" and "matchmaking" and "messenger" and shit.

The proper way to compete with Steam is to do it just via the distribution angle. Let it download, let it install, but don't require some DRM shit running in systray. Direct2Drive does it right, for instance.

Origin does it wrong.

At worst, such a service should auto-quit when no dependent games are running, and no downloads have started. It wouldn't hurt to have this option in Steam, too. This would allow for some viable competition.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Yeah, EA started its own digital delivery system because want to promote competition, it will not surprise me that some 'incompatibilities' with other systems suddenly show up.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
I heard the TPB has much better conditions. That is if you even want to play this incredible piece of shit.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Good news, imo. Steam has way too much power, and Steamworks is becoming part of too many games. The PC must not become a closed platform. The more platforms, the better. Let them wage war against one another and fight for our money.

Worth it to see all the Steam fanboys weep uncontrollably.
Yep, great news. So instead of a stable, well proven platform, we use a shitty, beta service like Origin.

I don't need several digital distribution services on my computer.

*Going back to play Battlefield 3 on Origin.*

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The competition we want to see isn't Steam vs other digital download services.

It's Steam vs retail and vs console.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DRM shit sucks, no matter what it's called. If a game absolutely requires registering on an online platform and is bound to your account and requires you to be connected to play - I'm reluctant to buy it at all, and will never buy it at full price. I just don't want to support such restrictive DRM schemes, especially since I don't do digital downloads anyway and it's retarded to buy a physical copy and then have it bound to an online service.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

Dormant dumb fuck detected.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom