Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect 3 to require Origin, not on Steam

MetalCraze

Arcane
Stop talking shit please.

I bought dozens of shit there and it works like a charm. It's a single, unused key from a retail copy that is being scanned and then sent per email.

So retail copies suddenly get discounted by kind people.

thesoup

Arcane
I don't understand why the "needs competition" lines. I mean, was Valve horrible to us? They regularly have hueg sales so you can save a fuckload of money. Just ask Ed.
Also, regarding "must be connected" - no. First run only. You can run the game offline. Steam is convenient and practical. They even gave refunds and free games to apologize for some shit. On the other hand, Origin will delete your account if you don't play your games for over 24 months. Hooray for competition. Let's not forget to mention the crappy support they give, there's only about a million screenshots about that.

Also, there is only one and only reason EA doesn't want ME3 on Steam - the same reason DA2 was withdrawn from Steam. EA tried to jew Valve out of money by selling DLC ingame, but Valve's policy is that DLC has to come through Steam, giving them a slice of the cake. That's normal business. But oh no, that's too restrictive for poor EA.
Fuck EA, Origin and Mass Effect 3. Looking forward to the inevitable Lets play, though.:salute:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, while I don't particularly like retail games requiring steam, I don't hate steam as a service. It's unintrusive, allows quick access to all games on your account, occasionally offers nice deals (which I don't care about since I prefer physical copies but it's nice nonetheless), is relatively fair to its users (especially compared to EA's Origin shit) and makes it possible for smaller devs to make shitloads of money since being on Steam and having your game offered on a discount deal is huge publicity.

I hate buying a retail game and having to register it on Steam. I don't mind the service in general and can see that it is offers a nice chance for smaller devs to sell their games.

TripJack

Hedonist
who cares what shit drm thing it uses

the game will be shit just like the other shit games in its shit series and anyone who plays it is either: a) a homo that enjoys video game romance b) a retard or c) a little kid who doesnt know any better

o wait all of those qualify as retard

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Stop talking shit please.

I bought dozens of shit there and it works like a charm. It's a single, unused key from a retail copy that is being scanned and then sent per email.

So retail copies suddenly get discounted by kind people.
No, but they buy those retail copies from shithole countries like yours where it only costs a fracture compared to the typical 49,99 pricetag here in the civilised areas.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I don't understand why the "needs competition" lines. I mean, was Valve horrible to us? They regularly have hueg sales so you can save a fuckload of money. Just ask Ed.

Just trying to get more and more people to use their platform, so they can become indispensable in the near future. I may do business with them but I know they are no philanthropists and often seek out alternatives.

Also, regarding "must be connected" - no. First run only. You can run the game offline. Steam is convenient and practical.

Just like Origin, which also has the advantage that you do not need to start it if you do not want to, while many Steamworks games will refuse to run if Steam isn't running, online or not. Heck, I even tried to launch games after uninstalling Origin and did not get a single problem. Try that with Steam!

They even gave refunds and free games to apologize for some shit.

So does EA.

On the other hand, Origin will delete your account if you don't play your games for over 24 months.

*Yawn* This rumour has already been debunked. EA stated Origin won't delete your games and/or account due to inactivity. That's rumour mongering on the same level as "Facebook won't be free anymore! Like this post if you want Facebook to stay free forever!".

Hooray for competition. Let's not forget to mention the crappy support they give, there's only about a million screenshots about that.

Did you count them all? Also I'm not so sure Steam support is a stellar exemple of customer service.

While anecdotal, my own experiences with EA support were both quick and efficient. In one case, I even asked by email if they could help me redeem my copy of Mirror's Edge on Origin, but the problem was that I didn't have a key for it since I bought it on Steam, and Steam didn't provide keys for that game. I received a reply within the hour, asking me for some sort of proof that I purchased the game. I sent back a screenshot of my Steam client with Mirror's Edge, and 15 minutes later I saw that Mirror's Edge was added to my Origin account with a newly assigned key.

Also, there is only one and only reason EA doesn't want ME3 on Steam - the same reason DA2 was withdrawn from Steam. EA tried to jew Valve out of money by selling DLC ingame, but Valve's policy is that DLC has to come through Steam, giving them a slice of the cake. That's normal business. But oh no, that's too restrictive for poor EA.

So you basically have two corporations trying to squeeze as much money as possible out of their customers and fighting over it, yet you chose to side with one of them and give it a free pass. That simply bias for one corporation over the other.

Fuck EA, Origin and Mass Effect 3. Looking forward to the inevitable Lets play, though.

Agreed, but fuck Valve as well.

[Steam] is unintrusive, allows quick access to all games on your account, […]

Just like Origin.

[…] is relatively fair to its users (especially compared to EA's Origin shit) […]

How is Origin "shit" and "unfair to its users" exactly?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Fucking kids nowadays, everything's too complicated for them.

Like little crybabies and Left-Anarcho hipster shitheads, they have to revolt against everything.

"Wuah Origin is spyware I'll torrent the gaem now instead!!"

Seriously, grow the fuck up people.

But the again this is the RPGCodex, where change is always met with utmost sceptimism and contempt.

ChristofferC

Magister
Fucking kids nowadays, everything's too intrusively DRM'd for them.

Like little crybabies and Left-Anarcho hipster shitheads, they have to revolt against intrusive DRM.

"Wuah Origin is intrusive DRM I'll torrent the gaem now instead!!"

Seriously, grow the fuck up people.

But the again this is the RPGCodex, where intrusive DRM is always met with utmost sceptimism and contempt.
fix'd

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
11135.jpg

Fucking kids.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
You know what's fun? People used to complain about that kind of stuff with earlier Windows version (especially XP) yet they still installed it. Then people used to complain about the exact same stuff with Steam, which is now the beloved game distribution platfom and fuck you if your game isn't on it. And now it's Origin's turn. Yet in these cases it's always speculation but I have yet to read a really incriminating report of something that really happened or is happening. I wouldn't put it past big corporations to get to know more than what is needed about their users, but where's the evidence?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom