Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect and Dragon Age

Saxon1974

Prophet
Why is there so little about dragon age on the bioware website? No screenies or nothing, its just a forum and some text.

There is quite a bit of info on Mass Effect, I would assume because its being released sooner.

I recall hearing about Dragon age before Mass Effect, was it announced first?

Im not a big fan of SciFi, however if its an RPG I will probably play it. Although I dont like the consolish look to it.

Thoughts?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Why is there so little about dragon age on the bioware website? No screenies or nothing, its just a forum and some text."

There's actually quite a bit about DA.

"There is quite a bit of info on Mass Effect, I would assume because its being released sooner."

ME was actually semi scheduled for May, and is now headed for a September release. In essence, it's pratically finished. DA isn't due out to , most likely, early 2008 at the earliest if not later in the year.

"I recall hearing about Dragon age before Mass Effect, was it announced first?"

You heard wrong. DA was never due before ME. I cna't recall which was actaully announced first though. I think they got announced rather close to each other, IIRC. I think DA was first as BIO says they purposefully announced it really, really early in (pre) development. They spent an entiure with basically just the writers/designers just working on back history for the world let alone the actual game. That should tell ya somethin'.

"Im not a big fan of SciFi, however if its an RPG I will probably play it. Although I dont like the consolish look to it."

ME is an Action RPG. It is what it is.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Volourn said:
"Why is there so little about dragon age on the bioware website? No screenies or nothing, its just a forum and some text."

There's actually quite a bit about DA.

--Well, it's not that easy to find on the bioware site. All I see is a forum, maybe im not looking in the right place.

"There is quite a bit of info on Mass Effect, I would assume because its being released sooner."

ME was actually semi scheduled for May, and is now headed for a September release. In essence, it's pratically finished. DA isn't due out to , most likely, early 2008 at the earliest if not later in the year.

--Ok, thanks for the info, I would prefer they take as long as they need if its time well spent in making the game better. A great RPG will last for years, I still go back and play the early ultimas, wasteland etc....

You heard wrong. DA was never due before ME. I cna't recall which was actaully announced first though. I think they got announced rather close to each other, IIRC. I think DA was first as BIO says they purposefully announced it really, really early in (pre) development. They spent an entiure with basically just the writers/designers just working on back history for the world let alone the actual game. That should tell ya somethin'.

--Ok, that makes sense. Yea im excited about the fact they spent so much time on background story. If they create an interesting enough story they could possibly create a whole franchise\series of popular games ala the Ultima saga, that would be great.

"Im not a big fan of SciFi, however if its an RPG I will probably play it. Although I dont like the consolish look to it."

ME is an Action RPG. It is what it is.

--Well, I could still enjoy it, I rather enjoyed KOTOR on my XBOX (Even though im an old guy and not the target audience).

Deleted member 7219

Volourn said:

You heard wrong.

No Volly, you are wrong. DA was announced way back in Jade Empire times, when rabid Biogeeks were ranting on their forums about Bioware going for the console market.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

i look really forward to mass effect, from all i read it sounds like Bioware doesnt take itself so serious and ME is alot about satire and comedy value.

i mean look at some of the dialogue screenshots. i nearly died of laughing, but not because they are written like obvious jokes but rather like a B-movie, i.e. as if bioware didnt mean to make a comedy game but a serious scifi one.
Its gonna be like "Attack of the killer tomatoes" as a cRPG i bet.

thumbs up for bioware, i didnt really like their games so far except for BG2 ... DA also sounds rather dull.... but making a comedy cRPG seems like a risk and i applaud them for beeing willing to take it in today s market.

rei1974

Scholar
But ME will be single player again? no more party-based rpg comes out??

Re: ...

ricolikesrice said:
i look really forward to mass effect, from all i read it sounds like Bioware doesnt take itself so serious and ME is alot about satire and comedy value.

i mean look at some of the dialogue screenshots. i nearly died of laughing, but not because they are written like obvious jokes but rather like a B-movie, i.e. as if bioware didnt mean to make a comedy game but a serious scifi one.
Its gonna be like "Attack of the killer tomatoes" as a cRPG i bet.

thumbs up for bioware, i didnt really like their games so far except for BG2 ... DA also sounds rather dull.... but making a comedy cRPG seems like a risk and i applaud them for beeing willing to take it in today s market.

Same here. I'm glad they seem to have taken the proverbial stick out of their ass that got shoved up it sometime during the development of Throne of Bhaal. Both the Baldur's Gate games didn't take themselves seriously at all. Just look at some of the characters, a ton of the dialogue, and quite a few of the situations. All in good fun. Then in Throne of Bhaal, things just got so much more....serious and all (not to mention every character seemed to get a coat of EXTREME paint for some reason....). Neverwinter Nights just sucked at pretty much everything, end of story. KOTOR was also really overly serious and wasn't even very well written to boot. Jade Empire was like watching some cartoon rife with just about every Asian and martial arts stereotype crammed into something, and it really wasn't fun either.

I really hope Bioware realizes that their "serious" writing just isn't nearly as strong as their comedy writing.

Julio

Scholar
CharlesBronson.jpg

Role-Player said:
Whatever happened to Star Citadel?
Star Citadel obviously didn't have enough marketing possibilities, thus it was changed to the possibly less generic Mass Effect.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"No Volly, you are wrong. DA was announced way back in Jade Empire times, when rabid Biogeeks were ranting on their forums about Bioware going for the console market."

L0L YOur powers of taking quotes out of context is hialrious. So much so I won't even try to refute what you claim I post was wrong ebcause you are arguing a point I never made. Moron.

"But ME will be single player again? no more party-based rpg comes out??"

Being SP doesn't preclude a part. TOEE, Arcanum, BG, and FO were all SP games. They all had parites. ME has a party. It even allows you to control your npc party members.

P.S. Mr. Murrow simply doesn't know what he's talkin' about. It's sad really.

"Whatever happened to Star Citadel?"

Star Citedal is Mass Effect. The Citedal was its code name, i preusme. Likely, theyw er eplanning to name the game after Citedal the main space stationbase in the game.

Texas Red

Whiner
Star Citadel doesnt have that zing boom marketing sounds. Likely the term mass effect wont have any connection with the game itself. Bioware has a long history of having titles that have nothing to do with the games.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
TWD shows his foolishness again. Mass Effect has a lot to do with the game/universe as Admiral wisely pointed out.

Admiral -1

TWD - 0

"Except you don't control them directly. You just give them orders."

O RLY? :? Unless things have magically changed within the last two days, you can choose to just give them orders or take full control of them and move them at your will. I belive it's set up like KOTOR not NWN or JE which is not surprising since KOTOR is obviously the main influence on the game of all previous BIO games.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
The fact you actually, sincerely believe that proves my point.

NWN = Best game ever.

Volourn said:
Yes, really Volourn.

Unless things have magically changed within the last two days, you can choose to just give them orders or take full control of them and move them at your will.
Do you wish me to retrieve a precious Chris Priestly quote for you? If so, I'll gladly do it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom